Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Liquid Makeup

Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Liquid Makeup

3.9

on 8/9/2018 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Firstly, this foundation is very pricey. Doesn't even come with a pump or any applicator.

Secondly, terrible oxidation. Looks fine when applied but turned my skin into Annoying Orange -both colour and texture (yes I do have a few textures but this foundation just amplifies it, thanks a lot.)

Lastly, it feels heavy, tacky and uncomfortable.

Seriously, who allowed this foundation to be sold on the shelf?

on 11/30/2015 1:08:00 AM

I might have gotten a bad batch, but I really expected more out of this foundation.
I have dry skin with acne, hyper pigmentation, and scarring which is a lot to ask a foundation to cover, but I have found some good ones. (Kat von D, Infallible, ect)
This was thin, watery, with little coverage. I used my beloved primer before application as I always do, applied with a brush and BB on one side, and stippling on the other, and both sides looked awful. It went on super streaky and I could not blend it out!
I ended up taking it off completely because I just gave up trying to make this work.
Would not buy again. Total Dud for me.

Am I the only one who thinks this foundation is terrible? It looks horrible cakey and is very noticeable on your face no matter how lightly you apply it. I also think the finish is not flattering at all. I have quite good skin, so perhaps this is just too heavy of a foundation for me...

It is with an extremely heavy heart that I write this long overdue conclusion that truly grieves me. My relationship with this foundation has endured for 3 years and although I was deeply in denial for the majority of that time I can now face reality and say definitively that Estee Lauder Double Wear breaks me out. Basically, I am both a makeup junkie and someone that takes very good care of her skin. I never fall asleep in my makeup and even when stumbling into my house drunk at 3AM after a wild party I still indulge in my skincare routine. I use the double or triple cleansing method where I remove makeup with a cleansing oil, use a face wash and follow up with a toner and a chemical exfoliant like glycolic acid, AHA, BHA etc. The only reason I'm even sharing this information is because I feel like whenever someone pops up and accuses Double Wear of residual effects people are so quick to judge like "Well maybe you're not removing it properly" or "It could be something else in your beauty routine".
For years I was convincing myself that it was my face wash, moisturizer, primer, diet, dehydration, pollen in the air, my cat etc. I never considered for a moment that it was in fact this foundation because I just didn't want to believe it. It is the #1 bestselling foundation and the fancy blue box itself claims the formula is non-comedogenic and non-acnegenic. I also find it strange that although I am not the only person who has experienced this nobody has been able to successfully pinpoint the actual ingredient(s) that may be causing breakouts. The truth is anytime I have this in my makeup rotation and especially when I wear it on a continual basis my pores become clogged, my complexion looks dull and I get these wet angry pimples on my chin and jaw area. But when I put this at the back of my makeup drawer and use other foundations my skin mysteriously clears up to the point I honestly don't even need a foundation. Its like the more I wear ELDW the more I need to wear it because my skin looks so bad.

I'm just so heartbroken about this because I adored literally everything about this foundation for a very long time. I recently bought a new bottle and I will likely return it because I am no longer willing to have pimply unattractive skin so I can continue to wear it. It's time to break up and finally let Estee Lauder Double Wear go...

on 10/21/2016 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I have bought this product before many times a few years ago and loved it so I am putting it down to buying it in a different country (or they have changed the formula) but it is so drying and sticks to any problem areas. It's very thick consistency which is obviously best for scarring and blemishes but actual active acne, stay away from it. It makes every little dry patch and lump and bump stick out. Was really hoping for something amazing, unfortunately not.

i dont like this foundation at all.. somebody bought it for me after he mistaken it for double wear camouflage (which is my HG fav foundation) ...he bought it on colour 05 shell beige,because thats the number i told him to buy (but for dw camouflage not for this)
its a very big difference between this foundations 05 colour and dw's camouflage colour 05 but colour is not the only problem here..while dw camouflage's colour looks like natural and gives you nice complexion,this foundation's colour looks very unnatural,like you had put mud on your face,very orangeish and extremly dull ..it doesnt cover my opened pores,even if i put a moisturizing cream..its just very dryish on the face..if you put clay mask on your face,thats the exact feeling of drying ,and skin tightening you get with this foundation..its very uncomfortable for me to wear even if i put moisturizer,and keep in mind i got oily skin..on top of that the coverage is mediocre..i dont have acne but i have pigmented spots left by acne ..they arent that pigmented but this foundation its not able to cover them with one layer..you have to put two layers,which would make your make up look more fake and more heavy..i havent used for more than 1 hour,cause i would be ashamed to go out with this foundation on my face,so i dont know if it gives you acne..since its so dryish and sticks on the skin, im sure this foundation is long wearing and stay all day which is the only plus (well that what they claim it does after all)
i would also like to mention my skintone is fair-medium
overall ,this foundation didnt make me try a lighter shade for the reasons mentioned above..too dryish and too dull,mediocre covering..i dont recommand it because its not cheap either ,there are better drugstores alternatives than this,which gives better results

on 5/30/2013 2:41:00 PM

Definitely agree with most reviews! WHY DID THEY CHANGE THE FORMULA?? It was soooo good. Even before reading that they had change the formula, I noticed right away that this wasnt the same thing... its cakey..last formula would be matte and not oily at all...This does get oily. At first I thought it was my moisturizer, i tried 3 different ones and i still had an oily face after about 5 hours. Also, I am desert Beige and the shade just seems too yellow and the finish...the finish is just not comparable to last formula. This new one does not cover my pores, is so cakey, SETTLES INTO LINES (even thou i dont have any wrinkle it settles under my eyes making my lines look obvious.) And this DID NOT happened with my older bottle.. Its just so noticable that the formula got changed. I had found my perfect foundation but now i gotta hunt for it again..Im pretty dissapointed.

on 1/8/2016 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

At the time, I was looking for something cover up my sporadic acne breakouts. I looked into this foundation and the new mac jacobs foundation which is also full coverage. On a slight note, I tend to wear satin finish and glowy foundations. I don't know what it is, I just like the look of glowy foundations over matte ones. This is quite matte and I thought it wouldn't look like a mask, but it really does. I think I felt uncomfortable as soon as I put it on. Maybe I wasn't use to the coverage as most of my foundations are light to medium. I really don't mind that my imperfections show through because it looks like skin. This was just too much for me. Also, my dry patches were quite obvious and it looked like a hot mess by the end of the day. I will not be going back to this foundation anytime soon. I think I just rather have foundation that doesn't cover as much, but makes my skin look alive.

on 9/14/2015 6:41:00 PM

After reading so many raving reviews for this foundation I decided to stop by local EL counter to give it a go. The sales rep. colour matched me to 1C1 Cool Beige, and applied it to my face. I was so impressed with the coverage, and the colour match I was ready to go home with a bottle right then and there, but at the SA's recommendation I went home instead with a generous sample. Since then, I have tried the foundation a couple of times, and I just can't decide if I want to purchase it. Upon initial application I never fail to be blown away by the flawless coverage this foundation gives. I recently suffered a bad break out that looks horrible with nearly any makeup on top, but the DW seems to make it almost noticeable. While, I will say that the coverage remains amazing throughout the day, I really dislike how it makes my skin looks. Looking into a mirror from about 2-3 feet away, it really does look flawless, but any closer and it just looks bad. This foundation sinks into my pores, and my fine lines like crazy. I am only in my early 20s so I really do not have many lines aside from on my forehead, but this foundation makes it seem like I have so many more as I find in gathers into my smile lines, and other creases made by standard facial movements.

on 8/18/2015 2:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

This product is SO THICK. I apply it with a damp sponge and be careful not to pack this stuff on because it will look like a mask.
Even with a damp sponge, it had this effect so I can't even imagine if I used a brush.
I have a lot of hyperpigmentation I want to cover so I normally apply foundation all over my face and layer it to cover the redness and spots. This foundation definitely covers them but I think I need to work on my application technique because the finish looks so thick and cakey.
I recommend heavy moisturizer.

Overall, it's not a bad product but I do like the Revlon Colorstay better (and it's cheaper!) I would repurchase to use on occasion if I ever have an event and need the heavy duty coverage.