Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

4.1

12/2012 REFORMULATION

on 3/28/2017 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm currently on the hunt for my holy grail foundation. Is this double wear foundation it? Well let's discuss a few things first. I have dry, sensitive skin and I was looking for a foundation that will stay on my face and not budge. Now this foundation has a medium to full coverage, depending on how much you apply, how you apply and how much you layer it. If you're looking for a more 'natural' look, using a sponge will help sheer it out. Keep in mind though, that this foundation is not for those who want that 'i'm not wearing any foundation look', because it will look like you're wearing makeup. The consistency is also runny and it will also oxidize slightly (whether this is a good or a bad thing is up to you, but it was a good thing for me because my colour was slight too light at the beginning).

Now I've also read a lot of reviews saying that this isn't for sensitive skin, or acne-prone skin because of its staying power. It claims to stay on for 24 hours, so you can assume that this foundation will stick to your face. I can see how people break out from the foundation, but really, you just need to make sure you are cleansing your face thoroughly. One makeup wipe isn't going to cut it, so make sure you properly wash your face. I also found that exfoliating the day before wearing this foundation will also help the application and overall look of the foundation.

Nevertheless, I tried this foundation as a sample. I applied with both a brush and sponge and found that the sponge worked better. I tend to go for a medium coverage with this foundation, and the finish is maybe a satin matte finish? Not dewy nor matte.I will say though, for all you dry skin people out there, make sure you moisturize your skin and exfoliate, because it can tend to look cakey around those dry areas. I also found that it caked my pores around my nose and creased in my smile lines. For someone like me who generally has smooth skin, this accentuated the textures on my skin, especially the areas around my nose and chin. Now for the fun part. I tested this in harsh conditions. Literally wore this for over 24 hours. (I do not recommend wearing makeup for more than 12 hours anyway), but I did. My day consisted of going to uni, then going out all night. I did do a check in around the 7 hour mark and found that my makeup was looking a bit cakey. Around the 12 hour mark, my makeup was looking horrible and cakey all over (wasnt shiny though) but my foundation was definitely separating around my nose. At the 24 hour mark, my foundation basically rubbed off around my cheek areas and just looked bad all over.
Of course, I don't do this regularly nor would i recommend others to do this, but i thought that this was the perfect foundation to test out, especially if it claims to stay on for 24 hours. Overall, I think it does a good job staying on for 8 hours. But 24 hours? no way. It also accentuates the texture of your skin, and apparently the bottle doesn't come with a pump.
Honestly, the best way to get a sense of whether this foundation is for you is to get a sample yourself. Some people with dry skin love this while others hate this. For me, I don't love it but I don't hate it either. I would probably wear this for days where I know there will be photos or maybe for nights out, but for everyday? Well I probably wouldn't wear this as an 'everyday' foundation. Do give it a go though and get a sample because everyone has a different opinion and who knows, this might be the perfect foundation for you

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This foundation gives full coverage and it's very long-lasting but it's definitely not for dry skin as it is very heavy, mask-like, cakey, and it enhances flakes and dry patches. It's definitely not for everyday use as well because it's like cement on skin literally "smothering" your skin making it impossible for your skin to breathe and clear its impurities, which is very important for good healthy skin.

The only foundation I use. I have very oily skin and this one stays on all day without becoming greasy. I do have to blot late afternoon but I can get away with wearing it from morning until bedtime. The color is a perfect match whether I'm pale or tan. The full coverage hides redness and evens out my skin tone beautifully. I can't say enough about this product.

on 3/19/2017 9:06:00 AM

I love this foundation. My mother has used it since she was in high school and she has great skin even today. So, now I use it! It gives a matte finish somewhat so that you really do not need to add powder, unless you just prefer it after to smooth things over. It has been around a long time so you know they must be doing something right!

on 3/12/2017 6:59:00 AM

Pros:
-covers purple/ red acne scarring relatively well if built up (i use the RT miracle sponge and foundation shade 2w0, im a c25 in mac concealer and powder and 20 in maybelline fit my foundation for reference)
-doesnt wear off throughout the day (i blot my face around hour 3 as i get oily fast, if im feeling fancy then i'll dust over with my elf hd powder and pray with the mini fix plus i keep in my bag)

Cons:
-expensive (im from Hong Kong and makeup here is usually marked up, apparently in the US, this costs 39$ and I got mine for 47$)
-breaks apart on nose area really fast (my typical routine is foundation, concealer, set with powder but before i have even had the time to set with powder, i can already see it breaking apart on my nose, i didn't notice this at first and after i set my nose i saw the little dots of oil, it was gross and i tried building it up and fixing it with more foundation which didn't work and made it look worse and cakey, havent found a way past this so now i just use my healthy mix foundation on my nose and under my eyes in shade 51)
-doesn't seem hygienic and packaging is annoying as there is no pump

Not sure if would repurchase, i like it for my acne scarring but not sure if i would pay that much again or if i would rather just spend more time with concealer covering

This Estee Lauder foundation is Fantastic! I have been using it for YEARS religiously...I have never been able to achieve such flawless results with any other product and omg...this lasts all day into the evening without need for touch up. The best part for me is the No Transfer! It stays in place...reminding me of the time I bought a Dior foundation that left my wallet empty and a white shirt covered in foundation...that never happens with ELDW. I have primarily stuck with Ivory Beige although the Wheat works well in the summer months when I have a bit more color to my skin. It is absolutely full coverage, but never cakey. My skin is fairly normal with the T zone being a bit oily. I do moisturize and prime prior to foundation application. I am finding this year though, that it is settling a bit in my fine eye lines, but that is no reflection of the product..my skin is just aging...😣 I give 4 lippies on price because I find most cosmetics overpriced...but that wouldn't stop me from buying this product because it delivers the results I seek.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this makeup because the girl at counter told me it is the best for oily skin. She even gave me samples for some hydrating oil absorbing cream to go under it. Well It's worse than my cheap makeup it doesn't blend, shows all my pores and I was oily in a half hour! Awful I am bringing it back. For 42 dollars US, it should at LEAST not look cakey.I am returning it.

on 3/7/2017 9:21:00 AM

I have combination skin that is prone to breakouts. I bought this foundation based on all the great reviews. Unfortunately, it didn't go on evenly and believe me, I tried it on clean skin, on moisturiser and on primer. It was impossible to blend and the end result looked cakey and uneven. It just didn't work for me, IDK why :( Plus, after having tried it for a couple of days it seemed to dry out my skin.
I will stick to Lancome TIU and Clinique BB cream.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I seriously think something might be wrong (or just different?) with my skin since I can't seem to get this foundation to work for me.

I keep giving this foundation a chance every few years due to all the rave reviews I keep reading! I keep hoping that maybe my skin has changed and that this foundation will one day look good on me. But sadly, Double Wear is honestly one of the worst foundations I've ever used.

This isn't the first highly-rated foundation that looks terrible on me (Revlon Colorstay liquid: I'm looking at you!), so I'm beginning to think it must be an ingredient(s) that my skin just can't handle.

The pros:
- Covers my red acne marks to a certain degree

The cons:
- Feels and looks like paint, no matter how I apply it
- It sits on top of my skin
- Makes my skin look dull/dead
- While it does cover acne, it still requires more layers (for me) than my other HG foundations
- Can't find a good shade match (2N1 and 2W1 are the closest)
- The glass bottle does not have a pump, so you have to be careful not to pour the foundation too quickly

I'm a little jealous that this seems to work for so many others! ;) I'm going to keep researching what ingredients are in this foundation that my skin doesn't like, so that I can be aware and avoid it in the future.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love that it covers beautifully and stays put all day, I also love the yellow undertone. However, I do find that it's a bit too obvious on the face, it leaves a bit of a powdery finish. So I mix this with a liquid highlighter and apply it with a damp beauty blender. This way the result is more natural but still allows for a high coverage.

I would advice to thoroughly cleanse the skin after wearing this foundation. After my initial purchase and after wearing this foundation undiluted and without primer for a few days I noticed some skin irritation. With a primer underneath this doesn't seem to happen.

Great foundation, will repurchase for long days when a perfect make-up look is required.