Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

4.1

12/2012 REFORMULATION

on 1/23/2017 7:19:00 AM

After hearing mixed reviews about this foundation, some rave that it covers everything and lasts all day, and others saying it is thick, drying and "feels like cement", I finally decided to give it a shot on two occasions (so far). One on a particularly bad skin day, with a big pimple to hide, and second on a night out. I have oily skin.

First off, the packaging is crap. you have to pour it out into your hands - which is messy, and you have very little control over how much you get out. Probably because it is too thick to draw up through a pump, but a squeezy tube like the DW light could work.

Application felt horrible. It actually did feel a little like applying cement, it was thick and sticky and very difficult to blend. Perhaps a paint roller would have sufficed?

Having got the negatives out of the way, it did cover well and where I did manage to blend it the finish looked flawless. The shade was a good match too, and it did stay put all day without any shininess coming through. However it did start to come away in some areas, like it was drying up and peeling away.

Glad I tried it, but will save for bad skin days or special occasions. Would probably not repurchase.

on 1/19/2017 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is a really good foundation for long wear. It really does stay in place! The shade selection is also great. My biggest complaint is the bottle. I hope someday they include a pump. It makes it hard to get all of the product, or too much can come out at once. That aside, it wears beautifully on the skin and is very versatile to use.

on 1/13/2017 6:48:00 PM

i love how it blends

on 1/13/2017 1:43:00 PM

Not good for dry skin! When I apply my Mac Prolong concealer and the MAC Prep and prime highlighter on, it removed a layer of foundation! It was so frustrating. So, I decided to add extra moisturizer on my face and face primer and it still removed a layer of foundation. I had to remove all the foundation and redo it with my Born This Way foundation and it worked. So, it was definitely this foundation that was causing it. I really do believe that this foundation is very good for oily skin.

I had heard so much about this foundation and so many amazing reviews and decided to give it a go... However I'm not impressed. This foundation must be for more oily skin as I have quite dry skin and it doesn't work for me. It makes my skin look dry and powdery and Cakey in areas, no matter how little I put on and no matter how I apply it, it doesn't change the appearance! I was so excited to try this and I feel as if it's a complete waste of money when there's probably better drugstore foundations for dryer skin! Deffo give a go if your skin is oily tho!

I really do love this foundation albeit pricey $$$. Worth it though. It's awesome to find a foundation that really allows you to build layers--provides me with both light and thicker coverage. A little goes a longgggg way. I've got a pretty pink/red cherry face naturally and this really camouflages all that

I do find the product dries fast so I apply it with a damp beauty blender sponge to my face. Having double-whammy combo skin, I get pretty oily in my t-zone and this foundation holds up pretty well against that, even without using a primer. So that gives it more brownie points

I do kind of hate that it doesn't have a pump top. Mostly because I'm half asleep when applying this in the morning and I end up pouring a monstrous amount onto my hand

Received this as a Christmas present (from my sister who went with me to get colour matched) so have not used it that much but here are my thoughts on it so far. I wore shade 2W1 Dawn
PROs:
Long lasting -over 10hour wear so far,
budge-proof,
Reasonably large colour range,
Dries fast and does not need setting with powder (unless in areas that are oily)
Didn't break me out and also feels really lightweight!

CONs
Quite difficult to clean off every bit with just face cleanser as it is so budge-proof but easy if you have an oil cleansing balm.
Shade was matched perfectly in store but it is much more orange on me in natural lighting!
Dries fast so you have to apply it quickly!
No pump and so poured way too much and so some went to waste.
It bunches up together around my nose but with a bit of strobe cream mixed it seemed to fix that problem!

Final thoughts:
It's an alright foundation but probably would buy a lighter shade!
Looks better as time goes on!
You would probably need to buy a pump (if you can find one that fits)
Works well with brushes more than a sponge (for me)
Little drying on non oily areas of my face as it is a matte foundation
Helps other makeup stay put longer!
This is a light to medium coverage foundation but buildable, as my freckles were still incredibly visible with one layer but two covered them well.
If you have got dry skin and still want to purchase this, (even though it is formulated more for the combination-oily skin types) you should definitely moisturise well before and leave it all to soak in before you apply your foundation!
Overall I like this foundation but there are cheaper drugstore alternatives that I like more!

EDIT: MAC PUMP FITS PERFECTLY!!!

I wanted to try this foundation for a long time but because it's very pricy I waited. I got a $20 off from Sephora so I thought this would be perfect time to try. I have to say I'm very disappointed and glad I did not pay full price for the product. The reason why I don't like it is that it accentuates my large pores and it has a rather chalky appearance- I guess some may say matte. Otherwise the colour is very beautiful and it does last a full day. The lasting part is important for me as all other products I try just don't have staying power. This product may be perfect for someone with discolouration because it has excellent coverage but not for someone with large pores or wrinkles. The bottle is nice, heavy glass. But, unfortunately there is no pump so hard to get product out. Maybe this product will be better for summer when my skin is more greasy...but then I'm not sure I want a heavy looking foundation for summer. Colour I purchased is 1W1 Bone. It's one of the lightest ones. I won't repurchase

on 12/30/2016 5:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have oily skin, so usually by mid-afternoon my makeup has melted off my face. Not a pretty sight! I had read good reviews and while I hate changing foundation it was made so easy. I was colour matched and given a sample to try, which lasted about a week and I just love it. I have slight redness and scarring but this product is great. It gives full and even coverage without looking cakey. It lasts all day and when I say all day, I mean 18+ hours. The product is thick and dries quickly and once it's set, it just stays put! My perfect match is 1W2 Sand as I'm fair but olive toned. In comparison, I was Mac Studio Fix NC15. I recommend asking for a sample from the counter so as not to waste your money if the colours not quite right.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this foundation on and off for around five years with the occasional break to try something new. Each time I've tried something new, most recently Napoleon Perdis and MAC, I always end up coming back to this as it lasts the longest. I've noticed that if I set it with EL Double Wear powder it gets cakey and oily within an hour or so, but if I set it with EL mineral powder it starts matte all day.