Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

on 9/19/2017 1:12:00 PM

I was first introduced to this foundation a few years back when I walked into Sephora and told them my oily skin needed something bullet proof. I have been using this foundation on and off ever since. The reason I am not loyal to this foundation are the few, but major, flaws in this formula.

First, no matter what I do, applying less, applying it with a different brush, applying with a primer, applying without (the list goes on), it always looks shiny! I find that it never fully dries down... what the eff? I hate this finish because i always look like a wax figure. I do apply powder to set (which i have also changed to accommodate to the fact that this does nothing to control my oil) and just to echo what everyone else is saying, the lack of a pump is really some BS, especially when paying $50 for a foundation. This foundation is also not easy to work with if you need to apply another layer and easily cakes up. For something that does not control oil, this still somehow manages to make me dry in areas and accentuate dry patches. And if i accidentally use too much and apply some under my eyes, man do they look worse for wear.

With all the negatives out of the way, its time to address the reasons why i do re-purchase. The main reason that I run back to this foundation is for the fact that it truly is "stay-in-place" makeup. When applied, no matter how much i blot, and I blot almost every hour, it is still left on my skin at the end of the day. My perfect colour match is ivory nude, but when matched by a rep. they gave me bone and sweet jesus i looked like a sweet potato at the end of the day, so be careful when matching. At the end of the day, if i could give it an HG status based on the sole reason that it doesn't budge, then i would. But with all other foundations on the market, the search continues for something better.

on 9/17/2017 3:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I'm NC20 or NW20 in MAC. I was matched to Cool Bone, which looked very good when I put it on, but by the end of the day it had oxidized, which was a deal killer for me. As others have mentioned, it's not especially buildable. I had to use a separate concealer for spots. Again as others have mentioned it may not be the best for dry skin. My skin is not super dry, and I used a moisturizer underneath and blended with the foundation as well, but my skin just didn't feel that good, especially as the day wore on. Thankfully, I only had EL's 3-10 day trial size made for me, did not buy a full bottle. Try before you buy.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Purchased this to use as tattoo cover for a wedding. The reviews persuaded me. The coverage was strong, it definitely stayed put. But it had a few fatal flaws: The color was different in the bottle than what I was matched to at the makeup counter. Yes, I checked the bottle to see if there was a mix up, and no, there wasn't. The color on my neck, was a totally different tone than what came out of my bottle. And as the day wore on, the color changed, oxidized and became ashy in patches. It went on smooth, and cracked within an hour. I wasn't impressed for the price. Gave it away. Won't be purchasing again. Really? $50 and no pump?

Please take into consideration that this review applies to me and how this foundation worked with me and my skin and my review of this foundation could differ to others but this is just my honest opinion. As my intrest in make up got deeper and fonder
I began to get fed up of using drugstore foundations and feeling like i was spending pointless amounts of money on foundations that had no impact on the way my makeup looked or lasted. I used numerious foundations from drugstores and still struggled to find one that was of a high coverage and lasted through out the day or at a evening party. My friend then requested i look into buying this foundation and in comparorison to other high end foundations it wasnt the price i could fault considering others that many beauty gurues rave about like 'Giorgio Armani' are so much more pricey, I found this a lot more affordable. I cant complain about how long this foundation lasts me from when i apply it to when i take it off the coverage still remains same and covers any pimple, spot or crease in my skin i dont want showing, so therefore i was pleased with that, however this foundation is extremely thick and doesnt give a natrual flawless look instead because of its thickness it tends to make my makeup look cakey. If you are looking into buying this foundation please do consider what skin type you are first as my skin is combination so is oily but i do find around my nose and under my eyes my skin is dry and i found that the foundation gripped onto my dry skin and didnt look duey instead it looked ruff when i added powder and i baked my under eye and when my sin got more oily in the process of wearing it the foundation sunk into my pores and made them appear through. This foundation would be much better for anyone who has oily skin or anyone that prefers a matte look instead of a duey one. I WOULDNT RECOMMED TO ANYONE WITH DRY SKIN.

on 9/14/2017 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I really love this foundation and it is the closest thing to perfect that I can find, which is why I see myself sticking to it for a long time to come. My skin is acne-prone and also very oily, and my skin tone is fair with neutral undertones. What's trickiest about this product to me is the application, bc if you apply it the wrong way you will end up with a very heavy, cakey mess. Because there's no pump rather than pouring it onto the back of my hand/a palette and risk wasting product, I simply put my index finger over the opening, covering it completely, and then give the bottle a couple shakes. There will be enough product on my fingertip that I can cover about half my face- BUT because this foundation sets so incredibly fast you cannot dab it all over your face and blend each section, so I usually wipe some of the foundation from my finger back into the bottle and then do one section of my face at a time. I've found for me it works best when applied with my hands as I prefer to warm the product up and get it to really sink into my skin. I've also found the best application technique is to really rub it into my skin (almost like a moisturizer), bc it often becomes patchy, heavy, and can cake up if I use patting/stippling motions. You also cannot use too much at once, or else it ends up looking very heavy/cakey and mask-like and the longevity and overall look of it greatly decreases.

PROS-
Shade- the best match I've found for my skin, so much so that I can often use it just to spot conceal on days where I want less coverage. I use 1N1.

Coverage- a high medium to full coverage. I find it covers my redness and acne/scarring quite well, but a little bit of redness does peek through. It does build very nicely though so I usually go in where I need more coverage w a second layer (you *have* to work in layers w this foundation bc as mentioned above if you go in w too much all in one go it will totally ruin it).

Finish- definitely a matte foundation, although I find it isn't too much of a flat matte. If I don't set it, after about 15-30 minutes it becomes more of a soft matte.

Longevity- this is both a pro and a con for me. This foundation has the longest wear time that I have found on my very oily skin, about 8-10 hours of it looking quite good and me blotting once or twice. If I'm only wearing it for a few hours I've begun to not set my face w powder afterwards which is something unheard of w my skin, and after a couple hours the finish turns satin-dewy.

CONS-
Formula- for me personally, I find the liquid to be so thick and set so fast that it can be difficult to work with as it's more time consuming and feels heavier on the skin. However I imagine this is the price one pays for a foundation with such good coverage and wear time.

Price- $46CAD is a lot for a foundation, however because you need so little to get the medium coverage I most often go for my one bottle has lasted me over a year now (with me using this the majority of the time I wear makeup), so the price is worth it for me in the end.

Longevity- as a con, my ideal foundation would last for about 12 hours, which this foundation simply cannot do on my oily skin. It just gets way too oily, begins to separate, and also pool into my pores so it looks like I have freckles of foundation. Blotting with a little puff (and sometimes the puff w translucent powder) does help this however.

OVERALL-
I had been on the hunt for a foundation that matched me well, did not break me out, and lasted a long time with my very oily skin for so damn long that for now ELDW is close enough. I don't want to award it HG just yet bc I really would prefer if it lasted longer on my skin, but truly I do absolutely love this foundation and it is my favourite (overall rating on MUA is a 5/5 lippies from me!). After becoming familiar w the formula it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Hopefully one day I will find a primer or even a different foundation that will add up to my HG, but for now I am pleased with ELDW and very much recommend it to anyone w oily skin (altho my bff has very dry skin and it's her HG!)

on 9/13/2017 10:24:00 PM

I can't live without this foundation!!!

on 9/8/2017 4:16:00 PM

I've been wearing this for a few years, tried things in between but always come back to this. I need something matte and long wearing that doesn't break me out or clog my pores. I have oily, large pores, acne prone skin btw & I can't use anything with SD alcohol aka alcohol denat. because of my sensitive skin.
Tarte - Breaks me out
MUFE mat velvet + - Cause overload of oil production
Nars luminous - I was luminous alright
Nars TM- greasy mess
Laura Mercier TM - See above

... anyways you get the idea, nothing works for me. I continue the hunt for something less heavy duty that can control my oil or at least not leave me looking messy, until then I wear ELDW on the daily. Winter I am 2N1 Desert Beige and sometimes Sand, then in summer I am the shade Tawny.

I apply it with a brush and paint it on then smooth it out with my fingers or a sponge.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

If you've seen my other reviews, you can see I've been on the hunt for a good full coverage foundation that doesn't slip off my face, irritate my rosacea, or separate and go grainy over the course of the day. This one is a winner all round, and I'm SO surprised because I just thought it wouldn't suit me at all.

My colour is Cool Bone which I think is the lightest. I got matched to Almond before which was odd - but Cool Bone is great. Doesn't oxidise and while I'm expecting flashback it's not something I'm especially worried about.

I dot all over my face and then blend with a damp RT sponge and it gives a really beautiful finish. For me, I don't think it gives a mask-like look; I don't know if that's because I'm using less than the beauty gurus I've watched on YouTube, my technique, or maybe just that the rosacea is peeking through and giving a 'natural' flush. Either way, it looks good. I can layer over the really red bits if needs be.

It's creamy and blends really well, it doesn't seem to dry down like for e.g. the Lock It foundation. I dust some Velvetiser finishing powder over the top and I'm genuinely flawless. While my skin requires a blotting by the end of the day, it's nothing I can't handle and doesn't look disgusting if I don't bother. Even the oils breaking through don't seem to disturb the make up which is EXACTLY what I was looking for! And even on my dryer bits, it didn't feel uncomfortable at all, even after 12 hours wear.

It's really pricey, and it's such a con that you have to buy the pump separately for an extra fiver, but I am going to have to splurge because it works so well.

on 9/1/2017 12:57:00 PM

I have combination more on the dry side, textured skin. I was really excited about this product because on youtube it was hyped up a bit by beauty gurus but one thing I noticed is that a lot of these beauty gurus already have good skin, so the foundation looks amazing. For me it accentuated ALL imperfections. Texture, dry patches and basically looked very very cakey and dry. My skin definitely looks better without it. It kind of made my skin look worse. I'm sure it's a great product for those that don't have too many skin bumps, dry patches and are more on the oily side. But if you have dry patches, texture - I wouldn't suggest buying it. And it sucks 'cause I wasted 45 bucks..

on 8/31/2017 7:14:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my holy grail! I wear shade 1W2 and there's literally no foundation that is yellow enough for me besides this one...
I have a lot to cover up and this does it so well while not looking cakey or that ugly foundation-y kind of texture that a lot of other foundations give you.
Keep in mind that this does not build though, so I apply a lot initially because if you try to layer it, it just removes the previous layer!
I have extremely oily skin and while this doesn't really keep me matte all day, the foundation itself stays in place and looking good if i blot and powder. I also have horribly acne-prone skin and this doesn't break me out.
I don't think I'll find a foundation I like more because of the finish, coverage, and color! Just wish this came with a pump.