Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

3.8

12/2012 REFORMULATION

on 3/28/2017 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm currently on the hunt for my holy grail foundation. Is this double wear foundation it? Well let's discuss a few things first. I have dry, sensitive skin and I was looking for a foundation that will stay on my face and not budge. Now this foundation has a medium to full coverage, depending on how much you apply, how you apply and how much you layer it. If you're looking for a more 'natural' look, using a sponge will help sheer it out. Keep in mind though, that this foundation is not for those who want that 'i'm not wearing any foundation look', because it will look like you're wearing makeup. The consistency is also runny and it will also oxidize slightly (whether this is a good or a bad thing is up to you, but it was a good thing for me because my colour was slight too light at the beginning).

Now I've also read a lot of reviews saying that this isn't for sensitive skin, or acne-prone skin because of its staying power. It claims to stay on for 24 hours, so you can assume that this foundation will stick to your face. I can see how people break out from the foundation, but really, you just need to make sure you are cleansing your face thoroughly. One makeup wipe isn't going to cut it, so make sure you properly wash your face. I also found that exfoliating the day before wearing this foundation will also help the application and overall look of the foundation.

Nevertheless, I tried this foundation as a sample. I applied with both a brush and sponge and found that the sponge worked better. I tend to go for a medium coverage with this foundation, and the finish is maybe a satin matte finish? Not dewy nor matte.I will say though, for all you dry skin people out there, make sure you moisturize your skin and exfoliate, because it can tend to look cakey around those dry areas. I also found that it caked my pores around my nose and creased in my smile lines. For someone like me who generally has smooth skin, this accentuated the textures on my skin, especially the areas around my nose and chin. Now for the fun part. I tested this in harsh conditions. Literally wore this for over 24 hours. (I do not recommend wearing makeup for more than 12 hours anyway), but I did. My day consisted of going to uni, then going out all night. I did do a check in around the 7 hour mark and found that my makeup was looking a bit cakey. Around the 12 hour mark, my makeup was looking horrible and cakey all over (wasnt shiny though) but my foundation was definitely separating around my nose. At the 24 hour mark, my foundation basically rubbed off around my cheek areas and just looked bad all over.
Of course, I don't do this regularly nor would i recommend others to do this, but i thought that this was the perfect foundation to test out, especially if it claims to stay on for 24 hours. Overall, I think it does a good job staying on for 8 hours. But 24 hours? no way. It also accentuates the texture of your skin, and apparently the bottle doesn't come with a pump.
Honestly, the best way to get a sense of whether this foundation is for you is to get a sample yourself. Some people with dry skin love this while others hate this. For me, I don't love it but I don't hate it either. I would probably wear this for days where I know there will be photos or maybe for nights out, but for everyday? Well I probably wouldn't wear this as an 'everyday' foundation. Do give it a go though and get a sample because everyone has a different opinion and who knows, this might be the perfect foundation for you

I bought this product after reading a ton of reviews with people who make this their go-to. My first application wasn't exactly life changing or anything but I kept trying with different application methods mentioned on various tutorials. I used primer, no primer, exfoliated before and moisturized. I used a beauty blender, various different brushes and after all that I'm just left thinking Meh.

For me I felt like it aged my skin and sucked the life out of my complexion. Maybe I'm just not a full face matte person. I can't deny it covered everything pretty well but it got to the point where I'd rather show a zit than have such a dull complexion. In my experience it settled into lines and pores. I work 12 hr shifts and even if the coverage was still there my skin just looked worse and worse as the shift went on.

I still have half the bottle and will retry in the summer when my skin isn't as dry.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I will always use double-wear. It did take me a bit to get the hang of making it look natural, but after that brief blip it has become my holy grail makeup product. MY SKIN: dry, acne, acne scars, a LOT of redness. I make this look natural by using the Too Faced Hangover primer (another complete holy grail) after a moisturizer, and the sigma 3DHD Kabuki brush. This foundation covers all my redness, (I don't even need a concealer) is a thin enough consistency that if your skin is hydrated it will look natural, and stays put all day.
If you have trouble making this look natural, i highly recommend exfoliating, using a primer/moisturizer that is more hydrating than you think it needs to be, and using a kabuki brush to apply. A little goes a long way so even though I'm a broke student, the price doesn't bother me. I get about 4-5 months out of each bottle, which is perfect for when the seasons change and I need a different shade.

Also I have dropped this bottle on a tile floor and it didn't shatter.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

A little bit about me, my skin is sensitive and combination. I generally like foundations that look natural and are lightweight, not too heavy on my face. I personally did not like this foundation. First of all it was not easy to apply, it wasn't very spreadable. It was pretty thick and didn't go on well with my beauty blender, I think you would need to put this on with a brush instead. I also think its way too matte, if you have dry skin I would recommend to stay away. It didn't feel heavy on my skin more like I could feel a layer on top of my skin. It also looks like you are wearing makeup , if you like the natural look I wouldn't recommend this for you. Overall , I did not particularly like this foundation and I would not repurchase. I found myself wanting to go home and wash it off already. So it's a no for me.

on 1/11/2017 4:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I've used double wear for a while now and at first I LOVED it for it's amazing long-lasting coverage. However, it soon started sitting in my fine lines and seemed to dry before I could blend it properly with a brush. I definitely recommend a damp beauty blender to apply it and because it's so dry, I wouldn't use it without moisturiser and the right primer. I found velvety finish primers like Benefit POREfessional didn't work well with it, but that might just be my skin. I use the lightest warm tone - 1W1 Bone and it's a good match. The packaging is horrid, but I have repurchased and probably will again. Prefer not to use it for everyday foundation but it's perfect for a full glam look.

on 11/27/2016 1:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this after seeing the hype about it. This has great coverage and lasting power; however, the foundation makes me break out. I thoroughly remove all my makeup at the end of the day using the double cleanse method so the breakouts were not due to the poor makeup removal but the foundation. I wanted to love it but it didn't work out. I wouldn't repurchase and caution those with sensitive and acne prone skin to beware.

on 11/20/2016 10:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Too bad it doesn't has pump :( the formula is very good, last all day even i don't using primer, full coverage, affordable price 👍🏻 i would recommend this Foundation. Don't forget to use moisturizer because it has matte finish. I use stippling brush to apply

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

A solid "I made an effort today" foundation! Your skin looks poreless so you can tell you're wearing makeup, but in a lovely way. Would not recommend for dry skin -- can be a bit drying and can sink into fine lines. Use with moisturizer. Does not feel heavy and does not rub off on anything. Would recommend for a night out/special occasion due to the high price point.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

*lengthy review warning, lol*

This is my first HE foundation. My skin is so annoying that I've been afraid to commit to something expensive since nothing seems to work with my skin type AND match me colour-wise. I just didn't want to spend tons of money just to be disappointed yet again. But I finally took a risk, and you guys... This stuff is so bomb.

I've been looking for a foundation for my combo skin (w/ super greasy t-zone) that won't just slide off of me, get so shiny I look wet, break me out, or rub off around my nose (I have chronic rhinitis and have to use a lot of tissues) - and let me tell you... This stuff covers all of my issues and will. not. budge.
It feels as light as water on my face. Seriously, I feel like I'm hardly wearing any makeup but it somehow it still covers EVERYTHING and makes me look photoshopped, but not cake-faced. It looks like real skin, but perfected. Powders apply nicely overtop and don't go patchy when I blend them out. It doesn't gunk up in lines or pores. It hasn't broken me out yet. Keeps me matte. The colour doesn't oxidize one bit. And IT MATCHES MY SKIN TONE! This is so hard to find when you're fair-skinned because almost everything I've tried shows up soooo pink on me.
Packaging is ok, it's a screw top bottle that you just pour out. Pretty basic.
Price is $46 CAD which is a lot for me personally but the product is so perfect I don't even care.

Just so you know with the following fdtn routine, the other day I only started to get shiny after ELEVEN HOURS. Here it is if you're curious:
Hourglass veil mineral primer followed by EL double wear (applied with blending sponge). The concealers I use are boo-boo cover up & maybelline dream lumi touch. I set the under eye with Joe Fresh loose powder. Face powders are Laura Mercier translucent loose powder for baking and Flower powder trip for buffing out. Depending on my day, setting spray is UD all nighter (longer days) or Hard candy fast & fabulous (shorter days/when I need more moisture)
These products work amazing together on my skin. My dream team.

Hope this essay of a review helped someone!

on 9/22/2016 4:07:00 AM

Like other reviewers, I find this is my go-to foundation, and although I've tried other brands I always come back to this, because it's absolutely the best for my skin.

I have sensitive skin on the oily side, with patches of rosacea on my nose and cheeks. I have them treated every year with IPL, but they never completely go away and they get worse in winter. This foundation is the only one which covers them up and still looks natural.

You do have to apply it carefully, and use a brush for difficult spots, like the corners of your nose. As it dries quite fast I find it's better to stipple it on, a little at a time. But it's worth the trouble, because it really does what it says - it lasts all day, doesn't come off, and it looks very natural, like my own skin but better.

I used to have to mix two shades to get the right colour, but now they have added some extra shades and I use the 1C1 Cool Bone, which blends nicely with my own skin tone. It's actually a little darker than my natural shade - which matches exactly with Shell - but when I use Shell on my nose and cheeks it looks quite pale and pasty. I think you just have to experiment to find the best shade.

I'm going to stick with this foundation, because my dermatologist advised me to stay with the products that work for me! And this does!