Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

3.8

12/2012 REFORMULATION

I bought this product after reading a ton of reviews with people who make this their go-to. My first application wasn't exactly life changing or anything but I kept trying with different application methods mentioned on various tutorials. I used primer, no primer, exfoliated before and moisturized. I used a beauty blender, various different brushes and after all that I'm just left thinking Meh.

For me I felt like it aged my skin and sucked the life out of my complexion. Maybe I'm just not a full face matte person. I can't deny it covered everything pretty well but it got to the point where I'd rather show a zit than have such a dull complexion. In my experience it settled into lines and pores. I work 12 hr shifts and even if the coverage was still there my skin just looked worse and worse as the shift went on.

I still have half the bottle and will retry in the summer when my skin isn't as dry.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I will always use double-wear. It did take me a bit to get the hang of making it look natural, but after that brief blip it has become my holy grail makeup product. MY SKIN: dry, acne, acne scars, a LOT of redness. I make this look natural by using the Too Faced Hangover primer (another complete holy grail) after a moisturizer, and the sigma 3DHD Kabuki brush. This foundation covers all my redness, (I don't even need a concealer) is a thin enough consistency that if your skin is hydrated it will look natural, and stays put all day.
If you have trouble making this look natural, i highly recommend exfoliating, using a primer/moisturizer that is more hydrating than you think it needs to be, and using a kabuki brush to apply. A little goes a long way so even though I'm a broke student, the price doesn't bother me. I get about 4-5 months out of each bottle, which is perfect for when the seasons change and I need a different shade.

Also I have dropped this bottle on a tile floor and it didn't shatter.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

A little bit about me, my skin is sensitive and combination. I generally like foundations that look natural and are lightweight, not too heavy on my face. I personally did not like this foundation. First of all it was not easy to apply, it wasn't very spreadable. It was pretty thick and didn't go on well with my beauty blender, I think you would need to put this on with a brush instead. I also think its way too matte, if you have dry skin I would recommend to stay away. It didn't feel heavy on my skin more like I could feel a layer on top of my skin. It also looks like you are wearing makeup , if you like the natural look I wouldn't recommend this for you. Overall , I did not particularly like this foundation and I would not repurchase. I found myself wanting to go home and wash it off already. So it's a no for me.

on 1/11/2017 4:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I've used double wear for a while now and at first I LOVED it for it's amazing long-lasting coverage. However, it soon started sitting in my fine lines and seemed to dry before I could blend it properly with a brush. I definitely recommend a damp beauty blender to apply it and because it's so dry, I wouldn't use it without moisturiser and the right primer. I found velvety finish primers like Benefit POREfessional didn't work well with it, but that might just be my skin. I use the lightest warm tone - 1W1 Bone and it's a good match. The packaging is horrid, but I have repurchased and probably will again. Prefer not to use it for everyday foundation but it's perfect for a full glam look.

on 11/27/2016 1:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this after seeing the hype about it. This has great coverage and lasting power; however, the foundation makes me break out. I thoroughly remove all my makeup at the end of the day using the double cleanse method so the breakouts were not due to the poor makeup removal but the foundation. I wanted to love it but it didn't work out. I wouldn't repurchase and caution those with sensitive and acne prone skin to beware.

on 11/20/2016 10:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Too bad it doesn't has pump :( the formula is very good, last all day even i don't using primer, full coverage, affordable price 👍🏻 i would recommend this Foundation. Don't forget to use moisturizer because it has matte finish. I use stippling brush to apply

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

A solid "I made an effort today" foundation! Your skin looks poreless so you can tell you're wearing makeup, but in a lovely way. Would not recommend for dry skin -- can be a bit drying and can sink into fine lines. Use with moisturizer. Does not feel heavy and does not rub off on anything. Would recommend for a night out/special occasion due to the high price point.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

*lengthy review warning, lol*

This is my first HE foundation. My skin is so annoying that I've been afraid to commit to something expensive since nothing seems to work with my skin type AND match me colour-wise. I just didn't want to spend tons of money just to be disappointed yet again. But I finally took a risk, and you guys... This stuff is so bomb.

I've been looking for a foundation for my combo skin (w/ super greasy t-zone) that won't just slide off of me, get so shiny I look wet, break me out, or rub off around my nose (I have chronic rhinitis and have to use a lot of tissues) - and let me tell you... This stuff covers all of my issues and will. not. budge.
It feels as light as water on my face. Seriously, I feel like I'm hardly wearing any makeup but it somehow it still covers EVERYTHING and makes me look photoshopped, but not cake-faced. It looks like real skin, but perfected. Powders apply nicely overtop and don't go patchy when I blend them out. It doesn't gunk up in lines or pores. It hasn't broken me out yet. Keeps me matte. The colour doesn't oxidize one bit. And IT MATCHES MY SKIN TONE! This is so hard to find when you're fair-skinned because almost everything I've tried shows up soooo pink on me.
Packaging is ok, it's a screw top bottle that you just pour out. Pretty basic.
Price is $46 CAD which is a lot for me personally but the product is so perfect I don't even care.

Just so you know with the following fdtn routine, the other day I only started to get shiny after ELEVEN HOURS. Here it is if you're curious:
Hourglass veil mineral primer followed by EL double wear (applied with blending sponge). The concealers I use are boo-boo cover up & maybelline dream lumi touch. I set the under eye with Joe Fresh loose powder. Face powders are Laura Mercier translucent loose powder for baking and Flower powder trip for buffing out. Depending on my day, setting spray is UD all nighter (longer days) or Hard candy fast & fabulous (shorter days/when I need more moisture)
These products work amazing together on my skin. My dream team.

Hope this essay of a review helped someone!

on 9/22/2016 4:07:00 AM

Like other reviewers, I find this is my go-to foundation, and although I've tried other brands I always come back to this, because it's absolutely the best for my skin.

I have sensitive skin on the oily side, with patches of rosacea on my nose and cheeks. I have them treated every year with IPL, but they never completely go away and they get worse in winter. This foundation is the only one which covers them up and still looks natural.

You do have to apply it carefully, and use a brush for difficult spots, like the corners of your nose. As it dries quite fast I find it's better to stipple it on, a little at a time. But it's worth the trouble, because it really does what it says - it lasts all day, doesn't come off, and it looks very natural, like my own skin but better.

I used to have to mix two shades to get the right colour, but now they have added some extra shades and I use the 1C1 Cool Bone, which blends nicely with my own skin tone. It's actually a little darker than my natural shade - which matches exactly with Shell - but when I use Shell on my nose and cheeks it looks quite pale and pasty. I think you just have to experiment to find the best shade.

I'm going to stick with this foundation, because my dermatologist advised me to stay with the products that work for me! And this does!

on 8/19/2016 4:29:00 PM

I got a sample of this as pictures on Instagram tagging it looked flawless. I never purchased and never will. The sample came in a pot that was supposed to last 7 days but I don't use much so it lasted over 3 weeks. Amazing coverage but once set with powder it started to sink. It clogged my pores and I broke out badly. It emphasised my pores and looked like soggy flour on my face when I added a sweep of setting powder. Can't comment on packaging as it was only a sample tub. Might work better with a setting spray but it's not for me.