Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Filtered by skin type : Very Oily
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

12/2012 REFORMULATION

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this foundation on and off for around five years with the occasional break to try something new. Each time I've tried something new, most recently Napoleon Perdis and MAC, I always end up coming back to this as it lasts the longest. I've noticed that if I set it with EL Double Wear powder it gets cakey and oily within an hour or so, but if I set it with EL mineral powder it starts matte all day.

on 12/26/2016 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This foundation has been around for a while and I am glad that they have not changed its ingredients so far. I am super oily but at the same time, under my eyes can look dry and agitated from a drying foundation. Comparing this with Revlon Colostay, I have to say this does a better job in keeping my face in a great condition. Under my eyes do not suffer either. The shades are a bit challenging for me. They are categorized but like many other brands, yellows are super yellow and almost look unnatural. I am NC30 in MAC although not as yellow. The best shade for me is 3N1 or Ivory Beige. It is neutral so it won't make me look too yellow. It lasts on my skin for the whole day. It doesn't budge, melt or transfer. I use Neutrogena Deep Clean and see no debris after the wash. Overall, let's hope they keep this one in the market but add more shades to it.

on 12/17/2016 11:00:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This foundation leaves my skin extremely oily and shiny after a couple of hours after applying it. It is horrible. I started wearing a light water based moisturizer by clinique to minimize the oil on my face but it didn't work. The foundation will manage to make me oily and shiny no matter what I do. I do not recommend this product for oily skin people.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Working two jobs, sitting in an office with a phone constantly on my face, then working at an extremely high volume restaurant, this is by far my most favorite liquid I have ever used. I have extremely oily skin. Full, flawless coverage. I use the shade Tawny. I apply it with my beauty blender, or my BH cosmetics liquid brush. Seamless. I get so many compliments. Usually, after a few hours, I could take the back of my hand and wipe my liquid right off.

on 11/23/2016 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have really oily skin that most foundations slide off. I decided to try this because I have a friend who this foundation is so flawless and perfect on, and it lasts all day. It was a different story on my skin. I'm pale with freckles and it just looked really un-natural. It lasted all day, which no other foundation I have used before has, but it just didn't look good. Another huge downside for me was how much it affected the quality of my skin. Double wear made it dry in parts and just really dull. Finally, I completely stopped using this when all my hair line began to flake non-stop, and another one of my friends who tried it also experienced this problem. Probably one you have to try to see if it works for your skin. Now I use Mac studio fix with a beauty blender, porefessional by benefit underneath, and Laura Mercier translucent powder on top and it wears well during 12 hour days. Not as good as double wear but still quite well.

on 10/10/2016 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

I wear this in Rich Cocoa and it is everything I could ever want in a foundation and more. I didn't want to like it anymore. After they changed the formula I was horrified. But my old bottles were used up and I just took the plunge. I still love Estée Lauder for giving us Double Wear. For an oily she-beast, this wears so well. I mean your oiliness will look like a glow. And when you blot, only oil comes off, not foundation. I love that this smells like paint. As I have said in previous reviews, I love makeup and I do not go in wanting to look like I have no makeup on. That being said, this applies well with beauty blenders and brushes alike. I prefer using a brush because it takes less time. This covers beautifully and locks into place, never budging or smudging. Top this up with the corresponding concealer from this line and you have one face that is beat to the heavens. I also love how hard it is to take this off. I use an oil many times because a makeup remover just won't do. This is my soul mate in foundation form. I swear I will always have this in my stash.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It's hard review one single product because it take a village to have a flawless face. Meaning primer foundation, concealer, setting powder and setting spray. Put I will tell you this I love this stuff! My skin is super oily that when I put makeup on within an hour my face is so friggin oily it's ridiculous. Also something to note is I have enlarged pores. So here is what I used (briefly) as a primer i used Beccas matte pore perfector (not exact name...I'm lazy) then I applied the foundation and then for the setting spray I used urban decay de slick. These three things made my make up last for hours I had it on for 8 hours and had to remove it to go to bed but while I had it on it stayed put no oil flawless poreless skin! Finally I found a foundation that didn't make me oily, didn't slide around, didn't separate or oxidize! So yea it's pricey but it's worth it. Try a sample of it.

on 7/28/2016 5:18:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I've watched and read tons of reviews, before purchasing the double wear foundation. So I was convinced that this would be my HG product. The shade (Sandalwood) was okay, maybe a bit too neutral for my liking. I tried my best to like it, but it just didn't work for me. I have bumps all over my jawline now (double cleansed my face at night). I came to the conclusion, that my skin reacts bad to products of the Estee Lauder brand..Clinique, MAC :( they all tend to break me out!
I will not use this foundation anymore </3
Still searching for my holy grail foundation..

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My skin is: very pale, very oily, sensitive, and acne-prone. I have rosacea so bad and so persistent that I have never, never seen my face-skin the same color as the rest of my body.

Let me go over the quick pros and cons.
PROS:
-Covers well, you need veeery very little for a full face of makeup.
-Because of the good cover the price tag becomes much more manageable. If you limit your waste and use it lightly (as it was meant to be) then I can see this foundation literally lasting you a year or two if you wore it every day.
-My rosacea becomes ancient history.
-My blemishes, if not freshly picked, scratched, or popped are pretty much eliminated. If they are agitated and bright red then they will stick out and require concealer.
-Looks decent regardless of your skill level. There is no way to go horribly wrong with this foundation unless you add layer upon layer upon layer...
-Sets quickly
-Does not fall off upon resting your cheek on some fabric. Stays put. However, rubbing with fabric will remove some.
-As someone who becomes heavily irritated by hair brushing my face, the weight of this foundation doesn't bother me. I barely felt it.

CONS:
-Sets quickly. You can't dab-dab-dab all over your face then blend otherwise it will set in the dabbed spots and become patchy.
-Must have some skill to apply or you will end up a cakey mess. This is my first foundation and a few times I have made the mistake of putting on the first coat...then just a little more...and some more...attempting to cover up all traces of redness...
-Hell to remove at night. You may need multiple rounds of cleansers to fully remove it, and this will destroy your skin if it's sensitive. You need to absolutely drown your face in cleanser, rub it in, then let it sit to get 90% off in one go.
-If your skin can be described as "pale" then there isn't a perfect match for you here. The lightest shade is more like..."lightly tanned" once it sets and oxidizes.
-The formulation is so heavy that a pump isn't usable, so you end up with a nail polish container minus the brush. Its too easy for you to pour out 10x more than you need. Pour out at a dab, apply quickly (it sets quickly on your hand as well), repeat as necessary.
-Not really buildable...it becomes visibly more cakey.
-Does not look entirely natural. It's much too matte for that.

I'm going to buy a foundation lightener to salvage this foundation, because I love the formulation, the staying power, the weight, and...basically everything. The removal process is something I still have to figure out (Aveeno Ultra Gentle cleanser is what I'm using right now and yes it removes it fully but my skin becomes highly irritated) but I think it's worth it thus far.

Will update if it breaks me out horribly but thus far my skin doesn't seem that much worse.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I never write reviews yet I think this foundation deserves to be my first. I use the shade Toasty Toffee and I would say this is my holly grail - it is one of the very few foundations that come in warm yellow tones and matches my brown Indian skin tone perfectly (which sadly, many makeup companies don't offer - why???). It evens out my skin tone and hides all the blemishes in just one coat (so it is worth every penny).

A little foundation goes a long way - like just one thin coat can do the trick and will last ALL DAY LONG! I have a combination skin with my T-zone being extremely oily. But it is currently the only foundation I have come across that keeps the oil in control (with maybe a slight healthy glow after 6 hours?!?!) You may need to blot it after 6 hours - but it doesn't get transferred on the paper and keeps you prim and proper and ready to go.
I initially disliked that there was no pump but quickly realized that it gives me more control on the amount I use - rather than using up everything that came out, I can put the excess back in the bottle rather than on my face.

I will say that there is a way to apply this - I have large acne pores on my cheek and this foundation did highlight them in a very uncomfortable way (maybe because it just becomes part of your skin on application??). However, I quickly found a work around - if you have large pores - you ABSOLUTELY have to use a pore-filling PRIMER with this foundation. I use Loreal Base Magic primer and that does the trick (you don't really have to worry about getting oily because this foundation has amazing oil absorption power!). But you can try any other pore-filling primer that you like.

Also, some say you have to work fast with this foundation as it tends to dry quickly. I dont know about that because I apply it with a damp beauty blender and it gives a perfect airbrushed finish! Because it is very thick, I am not sure if applying this by fingers would be a good idea either.

I would have given it 4 stars but if after following these simple application techniques, I would give it a 5 because of the long-lasting effect, oil control and warm yellow shade match - a combo of which is so RARE to find!!