Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

3.9

on 11/17/2017 7:01:00 AM

Sad to say that in a nutshell...the worst foundation for my skin.
I wish I could say it didn’t break me out but omg I had the worst acne breakout since I was 18. Comedones, whiteheads, acne cosmetica all over forehead, cystic acne. The works. I am very careful with my skincare and getting every scrap of makeup off my skin at night so I don’t breakout, but this stuff must have been welded on in my pores still and I didn’t realise. I wish I knew how other people with acne prone skin got on so well with it and how they removed it.
Also, within a couple of hours it oxidised.
It was very cakey which just accentuated the flaws, dry patches and bumps.
Photos look like your a ghost due to flashback.
Sad it didn’t work for me as it seems to work well for so many others.

on 11/1/2017 2:46:00 PM

Pros:
Medium-high coverage
Very long wearing

Cons:
The fact the bottle has no pump and you have to tip it out is irritating. For the price it should have a pump
Patchy and accentuates dry patches/acne etc
Because its so long wearing the colour is so flat on and dry/dull looking on

on 10/30/2017 10:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is hands down my HG, all time favorite foundation. I have really oily, sensitive skin and most of the foundations I have tried over the years had poor lasting power and oil control (by the end of the day I'd look a total mess). This stuff is amazing, I have been using it for about 3 years now and never looked back. My makeup still looks fresh 10 hours later.

PRO's:
- lasting power is amazing, it really does stay in place all day through sweat, heat and humidity.
- mattifying; there's no need to blot or even use a setting powder.
- does not transfer
- excellent coverage

CON's:
- could not find a perfect shade match (I have yellow undertones and use the shade "tawny" which is slightly pink; I was matched by the SA)
- every time I buy a new bottle I find that the price has gone up, its now roughly $42 (US).

TIPS: Be careful of what setting powder you use as the wrong one can make this look cakey. Also use a thin layer of foundation as too much can look cakey as well.

I give this 4 lippies instead of 5 because it's starting to get really pricey, but all in all it is a great foundation.

on 10/24/2017 7:30:00 AM

Best foundation ever! I have tried plenty of foundations throughout the years and keep going back to this one. This does not oxidise or start to fall apart on your face throughout the day, it last very long however if applied heavy-handedly it can look very thick and fake on the face so I will advise to apply where you need the most coverage and blend it outwards, that helps it look more natural.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Omg why didn't I try this sooner!! I wore it for the first time yesterday and I'm so impressed!!!

Pros:
-Beautiful finish- matte but not flat
-did not need a setting powder (I have Combo skin)
-Full coverage with one layer
-Perfect colour match (ivory nude- I'm 117 in had mufe, 120 mat velvet and buff in colorstay)
-stayed for the full 9 hours I wore it
-no transfer
- looks just as good at the end of the night as it did when I first applied it!
- didn't oxidize
- a little goes along way

Cons:
- no pump = messy and spillage prone
- you can definitely feel that you're wearing makeup
-does take more effort to remove than other foundations, but I mean duhhhhh ----with its lasting power, it should

So excited about this! I'm normally acne prone and my skin has been good for the last month until a couple days ago I got a food related break out- just in time for a big dinner party... So I decided to try this and I couldn't believe it-My skin looked flawless despite the breakout. I received several compliments on my skin at the party! Not my makeup but my skin- "wow you're skin looks great"! Awesome. I'll save this for special occasions tho since it does feel "heavy" (you don't forget that you have foundation on).
I used a beauty blender and let it set for 5 minutes before I did the rest of my makeup.

on 10/4/2017 9:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This foundation does control oil and is long wearing, it lasts all day.
However, it is cakey, and it looks like your wearing a lot of foundation even if you use a smaller amount, and blend it in with a damp beauty blender with a good primer. It looks very heavy and crapey and my skin is normal/oily. I like this foundation mixed in with others or on top of other foundations, to build up coverage only where i need it. I love a full coverage but not when it looks like a thick cakey mask. This also oxidised slightly and emphasised pores. I dont think dry skin would like this at all. Its not bad for a night out, i know i can rely on it to last all night and at night no one can see my cakey face, but for day wear, big NO

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Purchased this to use as tattoo cover for a wedding. The reviews persuaded me. The coverage was strong, it definitely stayed put. But it had a few fatal flaws: The color was different in the bottle than what I was matched to at the makeup counter. Yes, I checked the bottle to see if there was a mix up, and no, there wasn't. The color on my neck, was a totally different tone than what came out of my bottle. And as the day wore on, the color changed, oxidized and became ashy in patches. It went on smooth, and cracked within an hour. I wasn't impressed for the price. Gave it away. Won't be purchasing again. Really? $50 and no pump?

on 9/14/2017 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I really love this foundation and it is the closest thing to perfect that I can find, which is why I see myself sticking to it for a long time to come. My skin is acne-prone and also very oily, and my skin tone is fair with neutral undertones. What's trickiest about this product to me is the application, bc if you apply it the wrong way you will end up with a very heavy, cakey mess. Because there's no pump rather than pouring it onto the back of my hand/a palette and risk wasting product, I simply put my index finger over the opening, covering it completely, and then give the bottle a couple shakes. There will be enough product on my fingertip that I can cover about half my face- BUT because this foundation sets so incredibly fast you cannot dab it all over your face and blend each section, so I usually wipe some of the foundation from my finger back into the bottle and then do one section of my face at a time. I've found for me it works best when applied with my hands as I prefer to warm the product up and get it to really sink into my skin. I've also found the best application technique is to really rub it into my skin (almost like a moisturizer), bc it often becomes patchy, heavy, and can cake up if I use patting/stippling motions. You also cannot use too much at once, or else it ends up looking very heavy/cakey and mask-like and the longevity and overall look of it greatly decreases.

PROS-
Shade- the best match I've found for my skin, so much so that I can often use it just to spot conceal on days where I want less coverage. I use 1N1.

Coverage- a high medium to full coverage. I find it covers my redness and acne/scarring quite well, but a little bit of redness does peek through. It does build very nicely though so I usually go in where I need more coverage w a second layer (you *have* to work in layers w this foundation bc as mentioned above if you go in w too much all in one go it will totally ruin it).

Finish- definitely a matte foundation, although I find it isn't too much of a flat matte. If I don't set it, after about 15-30 minutes it becomes more of a soft matte.

Longevity- this is both a pro and a con for me. This foundation has the longest wear time that I have found on my very oily skin, about 8-10 hours of it looking quite good and me blotting once or twice. If I'm only wearing it for a few hours I've begun to not set my face w powder afterwards which is something unheard of w my skin, and after a couple hours the finish turns satin-dewy.

CONS-
Formula- for me personally, I find the liquid to be so thick and set so fast that it can be difficult to work with as it's more time consuming and feels heavier on the skin. However I imagine this is the price one pays for a foundation with such good coverage and wear time.

Price- $46CAD is a lot for a foundation, however because you need so little to get the medium coverage I most often go for my one bottle has lasted me over a year now (with me using this the majority of the time I wear makeup), so the price is worth it for me in the end.

Longevity- as a con, my ideal foundation would last for about 12 hours, which this foundation simply cannot do on my oily skin. It just gets way too oily, begins to separate, and also pool into my pores so it looks like I have freckles of foundation. Blotting with a little puff (and sometimes the puff w translucent powder) does help this however.

OVERALL-
I had been on the hunt for a foundation that matched me well, did not break me out, and lasted a long time with my very oily skin for so damn long that for now ELDW is close enough. I don't want to award it HG just yet bc I really would prefer if it lasted longer on my skin, but truly I do absolutely love this foundation and it is my favourite (overall rating on MUA is a 5/5 lippies from me!). After becoming familiar w the formula it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Hopefully one day I will find a primer or even a different foundation that will add up to my HG, but for now I am pleased with ELDW and very much recommend it to anyone w oily skin (altho my bff has very dry skin and it's her HG!)

on 7/27/2017 9:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

It's 2017.... if I am dropping this much $$ on a foundation, give me a pump!

I honestly don't get this hype over this foundation. Granted, I am not usually a liquid foundation girl, but it's decent. I hate the packaging! I have read that people compare this to Revlon ColorStay - just no. This is far better. I loathed ColorStay when I tried it. Your cheaper dupe has a beautiful pump, though..... just saying!

The two main things I do love about this foundation is the color range and staying power. This stuff will last all day if it's set right. The formula, in my opinion, is harder to work with. It tends to want to dry as I try to blend. It also has pretty decent coverage. (medium for me). For us with more yellow (NOT PINK) tones, this is a dream! It is almost impossible to find a decent foundation of any type that has TRUE yellow undertones, and this does! I would buy this over a drugstore foundation for that very reason, but I think it's way too overpriced for what it is

I also can't use this long term. I have been using this for about 2 months, and my skin hates me right now! I have hormonal acne, but this foundation has left my skin so congested. Will save for special occasions.

I stole one the pumps from my Almay foundation, and it fit perfectly. I shouldn't have had to come to such drastic measures though!

I really like this foundation. I have oily skin and this stays in place beautifully. The coverage is really nice and it does not look heavy on the skin. It does not have a prominent scent. I am quite fair and i have the shade 2C0 cool vanilla, which is slightly too dark but it's easy to balance it out with concealer. The only downside is that the bottle does not come with a pump so you have to pour the foundation out or buy a separate pump. The bottle contains 1fl. oz. which is a pretty standard amount of product for a foundation. This foundation is also a little pricey at over 50€ (57 USD).