Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

12/2012 REFORMULATION

on 2/18/2017 4:54:00 AM

Very good coverage and stayed true to its claim that it is Long wearing, water and smear proof. Can look cakey after a few hours and settle into crease lines around mouth area. Blends amazingly and definitely one of my Favourite foundation

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I used to see this foundation as my holy grail - full coverage for my acne and scarring and lasted pretty much all day. I re bought this for around 3 years....

So why the low review?
As I have had bad skin for around 8 years I decided to take some action by going to dermatologist. She took one look at my face (without make up.... eeekk!) and said "you wear double wear and if you continue I will not help you". Apparently double wear contains the worst ingredients possible and since stopping wearing it 5 weeks ago I've has zero break outs.

please, if you have bad/acne prone skin and use this... give your skin a break from it and you'll notice a difference.

on 1/25/2017 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I would say this is good coverage, it stayed and did not break up on my nose which is one of my biggest pet peeves. But this foundation made me break out and I wish it didn't if not this would be perfect :( #backtothedrawingboard

on 1/12/2017 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I have use several high end foundations but kept regularly going back to Almay TLC. I have wanted to get away from Almay however because of the sunscreen in it. It sounds crazy, I know, but it seems to irritate my skin using it every single day and becomes slightly drying.

I wanted to find something with good coverage that is matte and non-drying. Almay is borderline TOO matte. This is the first nice thing about Double Wear is that it absorbs oil but not excessively. I usually wear neautral ivory/naked drug store foundations and ECRU 1N2 is a perfect match for me. I mean perfect - it doesn't even need to be blended into my neck really.

The coverage in my opinion is moderate - not full coverage unless you use a heavy hand or 2 layers. I touch up with a concealer if I have a bigger pimple.

Minus the hefty price tag and the face that it has no pump(ALMAY PUMP FITS THIS BY THE WAY - just cut down the pump straw), I'd say this is my new HG. It looks great, lasts, blends well, doesn't irritate, and feels nice on my face. They also have a great color selection if you tend to be more difficult to match/have a very neutral skin color like me.

on 1/11/2017 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

SO glad I finally bit the bullet and gave this foundation a go! I've been a die hard Mac user for around ten years and was nervous to stray from it, however after constantly hearing about how amazing this foundation is, I decided to take the plunge.

I suffered from acne when I was younger, and am now left with hyper-pigmentation marks which are the bane of my life! This is such amazing coverage that I barely needed concealer! I now finally have the confidence to go out without feeling paranoid about my scars.

I am still super nervous about developing spots so was worried this could cause me to break out, however two weeks in and I've seen no difference to my skin. Win!

It really does stay on all day as well, I work in an air-conditioned office so usually touch my foundation up at lunch time but with this I don't have to do a thing!

For colour reference, I use NC25 in Mac studio fix and C3 in Mac face and body and use shade 'Dawn' in EL Double Wear.

Forget Mac, I am now fully converted to this. It is around £10 more than Mac studio fix but because you end up using far less, it's actually around the same!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Love this foundation!! It is great for oily skin and even though I have acne prone skin, it has never broken me out. I have used it since 2014. It starts to look kinda worn off or melted in like 8-9 hours, but it's not bad in terms of staying power

It is a thicker consistency and should be used with a brush or sponge, as the fingers would look less natural

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I wanted so badly to love this. But it has a few issues. First, application is a nightmare. I like full coverage foundation you can keep building, taking your time, without it becoming splotchy and streaky because it sets far too quickly. Weirdly, it's also not the fullest coverage foundation I've used. As in, Maybelline Better Skin covers my hyperpigmentation FAR better without feeling as heavy. The shade range, while extensive, is literally variations of pink undertone (yes I include orange under pink because it's more closely related than, say, a true yellow and a true pink). Nothing is olive yellow, then again, in most lines, this is still true, but don't bust your butt trying to find something that matches an olive yellow undertone. I also have seriously clog-prone skin, and I've noticed almost all liquid foundation under EL, Mac, and Smashbox (who are owned by the same company) clog my pores over time and the DW is no exception. Otherwise, the finish is lovely, it lasts a long while on well prepped skin, and I can pull it off in most artificial lighting. Just don't take me under the sun or I'll be an oompa loompa.

on 11/23/2016 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

First order of business: this foundation is very matte, and so it For Sure needs to be used sparingly and always, always with a damp beauty blender!
I bought into all the hype and have been using it for a few months now, so I think I can fairly say that overtop of well-moisturized/primed skin it looks perfectly matte and flawless (and on that note, cream/liquid blush is key for this level of matte-ness). That being said, it's easy to mess up, meaning it will look cakey, weirdly obvious and matte (like a clay mask) and just... not what you want.

It definitely is the longest lasting foundation I've ever used, for example I had to carefully change into a white turtleneck after I did my makeup last week and there was almost no transfer (!?!). I never cared that much about staying-power in my youth, but as I'm in my 30s now and I have a million things to do in a day, I don't want to worry about my makeup failing me. I don't want to be checking mirrors all day - I wanna know my face looks as good as it did when left my house. With Double-wear, at the end of the day my makeup is still set.
When I don't want to feel like I'm wearing too much makeup (bc you can feel it on your skin, it's not one of those weightless foundations, especially if your skin isn't well moisturized, it can feel tight) or worry about making a mistake, I switch to my Fit Me matte and poreless, but, again, it's not as long-lasting.
Colour-wise I can see what people are annoyed about, as it does have a yellowish undertone. I always have some yellow that I combat so I just mix a bit of lavender corrector in and it's not a problem.
Lastly, I was playing around once with a Luminous primer underneath (Laura Mercier) and later when I checked my make-up it was a disaster. The Marc Jacobs primer is perfect.
All in all it's a fussy foundation but I kind of like the process, so it'll be a keeper for the foreseeable future.

This is definitely the best foundation I have ever used so far. Provides full coverage and really stays in place the whole day, without need of retouches. The only minor downside I can think of is the lack of pump. Highly recommend it if you are looking for longstanding and good coverage foundation.

on 11/12/2016 8:56:00 PM

I'm really on the fence with this foundation. Firstly, I am in love with the longevity. Like everyone says, it lasts ALL day. All day. This is huge because of my extremely oily skin being a cause of concern for me. However formulation aside it actually has quite a few cons and I can't decide if they outweigh the one thing I actually need in a foundation, which is compatibility with my skin. The shades are a problem. I've tried numerous shades all of which have had a slight orange tint to them which is incredibly annoying and the only way I'm making it work now is by using a lighter powder to set. But by the end of the day I feel like I look really orange, unfortunately. Next, this is not one of those foundations that feel like you're not wearing any makeup. With this, I feel like I am wearing mask. It's heavy. It's not like some of my other foundations that look really natural on the skin. It's one of those foundations where your husband will tell you that you don't need all of that makeup on. So beware if you're going for a more natural look. All this aside, if you have oily skin this foundation is great but depending on your skin tone you'll really have to work with it to get your match perfect. Bottom line, would I repurchase this? Probably, but only because it is the longest lasting foundation I've ever used however, I would only use this on days that I really, really need it to go all day. I think for just an everyday type of foundation there are many better options out there.