Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Filtered by skin type : Combination age: 19-24
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

It is with an extremely heavy heart that I write this long overdue conclusion that truly grieves me. My relationship with this foundation has endured for 3 years and although I was deeply in denial for the majority of that time I can now face reality and say definitively that Estee Lauder Double Wear breaks me out. Basically, I am both a makeup junkie and someone that takes very good care of her skin. I never fall asleep in my makeup and even when stumbling into my house drunk at 3AM after a wild party I still indulge in my skincare routine. I use the double or triple cleansing method where I remove makeup with a cleansing oil, use a face wash and follow up with a toner and a chemical exfoliant like glycolic acid, AHA, BHA etc. The only reason I'm even sharing this information is because I feel like whenever someone pops up and accuses Double Wear of residual effects people are so quick to judge like "Well maybe you're not removing it properly" or "It could be something else in your beauty routine".
For years I was convincing myself that it was my face wash, moisturizer, primer, diet, dehydration, pollen in the air, my cat etc. I never considered for a moment that it was in fact this foundation because I just didn't want to believe it. It is the #1 bestselling foundation and the fancy blue box itself claims the formula is non-comedogenic and non-acnegenic. I also find it strange that although I am not the only person who has experienced this nobody has been able to successfully pinpoint the actual ingredient(s) that may be causing breakouts. The truth is anytime I have this in my makeup rotation and especially when I wear it on a continual basis my pores become clogged, my complexion looks dull and I get these wet angry pimples on my chin and jaw area. But when I put this at the back of my makeup drawer and use other foundations my skin mysteriously clears up to the point I honestly don't even need a foundation. Its like the more I wear ELDW the more I need to wear it because my skin looks so bad.

I'm just so heartbroken about this because I adored literally everything about this foundation for a very long time. I recently bought a new bottle and I will likely return it because I am no longer willing to have pimply unattractive skin so I can continue to wear it. It's time to break up and finally let Estee Lauder Double Wear go...

on 4/4/2018 3:41:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

Great foundation — longest lasting foundation I tried. However, after 12 hours I need to reapply. Very easy application using a beautyblender or a brush. Needs a (sheer) setting powder to set.

This is my GO-TO foundation - every time I find myself trying different foundations to find something better, I come back to this one because there is nothing better. In a foundation, I like medium to full coverage, non transferable, does not go into fine lines, and swear proof. This foundation covers all the requirements! I went to Cali last year and I have a sweating problem on my nose which ruins my foundation most of the time. The sweat did initially break through from the foundation and I had dots of foundation missing but once I was indoors, the foundation just settled back into place again!!!! I been using this for so many years and will continue doing so.

I was so sceptical of Double Wear, but holy heck am I hooked now! I
Pros:
Elegant packaging. I feel like a fancy b***h every time I pull it out of my makeup drawer (every single day, it's just so good)
The liquid formula isn't too thick. I prefer to roughly spread it over my skin before blending with my RT sponge, and I really enjoy the thinner consistency of this.
The coverage. I believe it's a a medium-full coverage foundation, but I typically apply enough for a medium coverage. It can easily be built to full coverage though. I think it looks pretty and skinlike, natural matte.
Sits well with my Tarte Shape Tape concealer (I use that for my eye area)
Has great lasting power. It doesn't seperate or slide off of my oily skin, and I can usually get 5-6 hours of wear before I want to blot. However, if I sweat for hours (as I do working with no air con this summer) I find it does tend to seperate.

Cons:
It's hella expensive! $69NZD and it's the most I've ever spent on a foundation.
NO PUMP. Sometimes it's just too easy to use too much of this liquid gold because it's so easy to pour onto your waiting hand (or brush, sponge, or even the bathroom counter, oops)

I'm now onto my second bottle (1C1 Cool Bone) and I have every intention to repurchase when I run out.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I feel like i'm taking crazy pills- I absolutely *hated* this and I'm a very small portion of people with that opinion! Nothing has looked worse on my skin. I looked powdery and cakey using the foundation even with a hydrating primer.

I like my foundation to the dewy end generally and usually attempt to look at things objectively and say 'maybe this just isn't for my skin' but I can't with this. I just found so few plus points to it. I have combination skin and on dry patches it looked truly awful, but it even looked dry and flaky on my oily nose. Now I exfoliate with AHAs and BHAs depending on the area of my skin, plus I previously used a somewhat drying but lighter foundation (Fusion ink) with no issues, so I don't think it's an issue with my nose texture particularly.
The coverage is to the heavier end of medium, but I didn't find it easy to build with a damp beauty blender. It more looked like it was sitting on top in layers than blending together to provide high coverage in certain areas seamlessly. Looked a slightly 'flat' on, but excusably so if you really need something with staying power.

There being no pump is a bad show too. This is *not* a drug store foundation, there is no excuse for not having one, really. The packaging is at least pretty, though.

This does oxodise like nothing I've seen before too- Shell was even a little off after a few hours. I don't think shell is available in the US either so I have no idea how anyone pale would be able to use this formula without a *lot* of white mixer.

From my experience, you'd have to be of a *very* oily skin type to love this. I'm glad it exists even if I hated it though- A holy grail for very oily skin is hard to find and it's wonderful people with that skin type are able to use this foundation without blotting every .5 femtoseconds! If you have anything other than that (especially dry) have a proper look in sunlight before you buy a full sized bottle though, I have seen people who use this look *incredibly* textured and chalky because they tried and applied it in artificial lighting.

on 11/29/2017 8:11:00 AM

I am 20, i have oily, acne prone skin. My skin is very red and break outs around my mouth and forehead. Bottom line of this foundation is it covers fully. You would never know that I’m breaking out it’s great.It’s very thick but it covers my acne. Problem is, if you apply it a certain way, it will look cakey or tend to look that way. At the end of the day your face looks dry and creased. Even after priming and setting your face. i have been using this foundation for months, and for the price, it should perform miracles. I found Revlon color stay foundation for only $12 and it is an exact dupe. If you are to try this foundation, save at least $25 and go with the Revlon. Hope i helped!

on 10/14/2017 10:10:00 AM

The shade is a perfect match which normally is quite a struggle for me. I have combination skin with a few dry spots and some imperfections such as pimples and a few acne scars.

First of all, the packaging sucks. No pump?! How am I supposed to get the foundation out without wasting product? Nope, that's just dumb.

I used this foundation with a primer, a quite cheap drugstore primer that I use on an every day basis. As for the formula I find it a tad too thick but it blends really well on my skin. I used a damp beauty blender and it worked really well. I guess a thick formula is to expect when it is supposed to stay put for 10+ hours.

It's very buildable and the coverage ranges from ligh to heavy. I prefer a medium coverage so I used two layers. With this product you benefit from building it up gradually as opposed to using one thick layer.

After two layers I still need to use a concealer for spot touch up as I have a tiny bit of acne and the red spots are coming through.

I can really feel the foundation on my face which as a problem for me. I don't like the feeling of having a mask on and this feels really heavy.

Overall this is not ideal for me. It's a good product and my skin looks really good, almost like it's my own skin, but the feeling of the product on my skin really kills it for me. Normally I use the Estee lauder double wear cushion stick which I really LOVE so I automatically thought that the products would be similar only this one providing a bit more coverage. Nope, I still need my concealer here!

I put it on at 10 am and now it's 5 pm. The foundation still looks flawless! No cracking, no oxidation and it hasn't sunken into my pores. It looks really good! The mask-like feeling hasn't gone away and I constantly get reminded of having foundation on. If that is not a problem for you this is a really rad product! I think I will use this for special occasions when I want to look flawless without touching up.

PROS:
- Shade is a perfect match
- Looks really natural even after two layers
- A variation of coverage
- Blends really well
- Photographs well
- Doesn't oxide
- as promised it does hold for a really long time

CONS:
- No pump
- my face feels heavy with product
- The price
- Doesn't cover acne redness
- Thick formula

I think it's a great product for really oily skin. My combination skin worked really well with this in the first month but after some treatments my skin got back to normal. The foundation felt wet and sticky on my face the whole day and after 2 hours it looked cakey. It doesn't work with anything. I tried all kinds of moisturizers and primers. It's a shame because I really wanted this to work for me.

I heard about the hype. Yet it didn't interest me because I thought I'd have my HG foundation with Maybelline Superstay foundation, but Estee Lauder is a game changer for me now. First time I wore this I went swimming on a summer day, everything stayed in place. I took some blotting paper to get rid of the sweat and the foundation still looked untouched. I was very satisfied when I took off my makeup because I didn't need to worry if it melted or cracked. Of course it can't stay on for 15+ hours looking perfect all the time. But when I reach 10 hours it looks like I've worn an average foundation for just a couple of hours. Today I used it again and it's no different than the other day. I'll keep this expensive as a HG for hot, long times (summer, beach, party, clubbing, etc.) and will always be excited to apply it. Pro: - good shade range (Ecru fits good, I'm NW20) - medium, buildable coverage (this ain't full coverage with one layer for me) - matte, natural finish (I still use powder because I always want to be sure everything is set) - stays, no matter how much you sweat Neutral: - price (you don't need to buy it if it's too much $ for you) Con: - packaging (no pump, glass material) Maybelline Superstay is too dry for my skin, I guess. Yet I have combo skin (oily T-zone, normal/dry cheeks and undereyes). SS can look cakey on me if I'm not careful while applying, it's not as transfer proof as EL and the shade range is meh. So, welcome new (and forever) HG to the family.

on 8/18/2017 2:21:00 PM

I don't usually write reviews but this is a game changer, and I can't believe it took me this long to try it. I am used to having to habitually check my makeup every couple of hours to make sure it hasn't caked up, or turned oily etc - but this. I can go a straight 4 or 5 hours before I need to blot (I still use a primer for best oil control results), and even then the foundation is still fully intact and firmly stuck to my face. I have worn it for 8 hours before and only had to blot once, and that's an absolute dream for me as someone with an oily t-zone.

1) Application can be a bit tricky. A little goes a LONG way with this - if you slap on tons like a regular foundation it will look SUPER cakey. It also dries rather quickly so for best results do one section of the face at a time, blending it completely before moving on to the next. Bearing in mind that I dont use beauty blenders, the best method I've found is to pour a little on the back of my hand, lightly dip my Real Techniques buffing brush into it to pick up a small amount, and then blend it onto a section of my face. Repeat until entire face is covered and build up as needed. Using this method I get a really good medium coverage that looks really natural on the skin, and feels light and comfortable. I find that when I try to dot it on my face then blend it out like other foundations I tend to end up applying too much. Really I don't think it is as heavy-looking (or feeling) as some people claim it is if you take the time to sheer it out and blend everything in.

2) Shade match : the shade range is excellent. I wear 3W1 Tawny and it's a HAIR on the pink side but otherwise a great match for my NC35ish neutral yellow skin.

3) Longevity. Easily lasts a regular 8-10 hour day for me with minimal need to touch up. It sticks to my face so well I actually have to cleanse extra thoroughly to completely remove it, otherwise I do find that it clogs my pores. I go in with an oil cleanser, and then run a cotton pad soaked with micellar water to pick up extra bits, and then wash my face with my usual face cleanser.

Pros :
- Great shade range
- Easily achieves a high medium coverage, buildable to full.
- Matte, but not flat matte imo - this actually makes my skin look really nice.
- Lasts through the apocalypse - controls oil really well and still looks very fresh even hours later.
- Versatile - if you have drier skin I would recommend mixing this in with a drop of hyaluronic acid or pairing it with a hydrating primer, as you'll get the coverage and longevity without the potentially drying/texture-emphasising effect. Can be applied sparingly for a more skin-like look, or built up to look very full coverage and makeupey if desired.

Cons :
- Application can take some getting used to.
- Can be unforgiving on texture, as most matte foundations I've tried tend to be- I do get dry patches on my nose and this can cling to them. However I don't finding this to emphasise my fine lines any more than my other foundations do despite the matte finish.
- Can clog pores if extra care isn't taken to remove it completely. You pretty much NEED an oil cleanser to make sure it's thoroughly removed.
- Pump is sold separately if you want one.

TL;DR Rating : 11/10 bye bye frequent touch ups where has this been all my life - best suited to those with oilier skin that have issues with makeup longevity, drier skin types can wear this too if modified to be more moisturising.

UPDATE : I have taken one lippie off the rating because now that I have worn this a few more times, I do find that it can feel quite heavy and drying on my skin. Careful moisturisation is definitely needed as face prep before putting this foundation on.