Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really really wanted to love this foundation but I had issues with it.

The first problem was the colour matching - I was matched to Pale Almond which I bought a whole bottle of, but it's just too dark and too pink. I went to a different store and the SA gave me a generous sample of Desert Beige, which was so nice of her. Unfortunately this was too pale and too yellow. Looking at the shade range I find it totally baffling.

The staying power is amazing. I applied it with a damp beauty blender working fast and kind of bouncing it in.

It really is like paint, and that's another problem for me. It creates such a uniform finish (like paint!) that instead of covering uneven skin it seemed to make it more obvious! It just seemed to highlight every uneven feature because of the flat, paint-like finish. I've since tried Max Factor Lasting Performance foundation and I actually prefer that, and it's cheaper. I might give Double Wear Light a try though - always on the search for the perfect foundation!

I hate the fact that it's not in a tube or that it doesn't have a pump top, especially considering how expensive it is. And it's runny so too easy to waste it.

on 5/27/2018 2:18:00 AM

I did not like this foundation. It felt like paint on my skin. It exentuated all my flaws such as dryness and didn't blend well. It dried so fast it was hard to apply and had a chemical smell. It was a huge disappointment as it has so many great reviews but did not work well on my skin. Maybe for someone with oily skin.

on 5/24/2018 11:36:00 AM

The best stay in place make up ever! I have been used this product over 4 years now. It stays on my face over the day. My best ever!

This is a cult foundation for a reason, that being its staying power. It adheres to the skin like paint, and stays there until you take it off. I find it could be described as specifically formulated for oily skinned ladies and gents, as it doesn't need setting powder (unless you have exceptionally oily skin i presume), doesn't break down on critical oily areas throughout the day (nostrils, in between the brows, nose, inner cheeks), doesn't oxidize or change color. I absolutely adore it and yes, if i had to wear a single foundation for the rest of my life, this would be it.
This is my "husband" foundation. The rest are all occasional, short-termed, exciting but quick-fizzling, cool-but-enough-now "affairs".

Pros:
- one of the few foundations that actually does what it claims to do;
- great coverage without looking dry, cakey or streaky;
- beautiful smooth finish, like glass/paint;
- very long lasting;
- unbreakable, doesn't dissolve on oily areas or under the eyes. This particularity is almost impossible to find in other foundations, in my opinion, and if met, it comes with significant disadvantages (extreme thickness, dryness, for example the Kat Von D/ LA Girl foundations);
- contrary to other reviews, i personally don't find it drying under the eyes at all. Eye cream is a general must for the skin regardless of one wearing makeup or not;
- extensive shade rage, for pretty much everyone;
- very buildable if applied fast;
- a little goes a long way, a bottle will last for months with daily use;
- replaces concealer successfully;
- good skin tolerance (didn't break me out);
- wonderful natural look for its consistency and coverage. Pretty much 5% heavier on the skin than liquid foundations.

Cons:
- expensive (but good things cost money);
- the significant shade range makes it difficult to choose one's right tone, particularly in store lights;
- the glass bottle albeit beautiful is not user-friendly and needs a pump;
- needs attentive removal, hard to scrub off.

I will continue to repurchase this foundation and not the light version as i don't want to stray. The company could offer a more extensive guideline for choosing the right shade and add a pump and they'd be market leaders.

on 5/17/2018 5:04:00 PM

pros:
med to full coverage
matte and do not need to set with powder (i have oily combo skin this keeps me matte all day)
long lasting
great color selection, (nc20-25, 2w1 dawn in this foundation)

cons:
broke me out and very skin congesting
can look dry and cakey if put too much on or if you dont moisturize well enough
smells a bit odd
no pump

Id suggest the nars radiant longwear foundation, its much lighter on the skin and does the same thing except this lasts longer and is a lot more matte. But since i got cycstic acne from this id never use this again

It is with an extremely heavy heart that I write this long overdue conclusion that truly grieves me. My relationship with this foundation has endured for 3 years and although I was deeply in denial for the majority of that time I can now face reality and say definitively that Estee Lauder Double Wear breaks me out. Basically, I am both a makeup junkie and someone that takes very good care of her skin. I never fall asleep in my makeup and even when stumbling into my house drunk at 3AM after a wild party I still indulge in my skincare routine. I use the double or triple cleansing method where I remove makeup with a cleansing oil, use a face wash and follow up with a toner and a chemical exfoliant like glycolic acid, AHA, BHA etc. The only reason I'm even sharing this information is because I feel like whenever someone pops up and accuses Double Wear of residual effects people are so quick to judge like "Well maybe you're not removing it properly" or "It could be something else in your beauty routine".
For years I was convincing myself that it was my face wash, moisturizer, primer, diet, dehydration, pollen in the air, my cat etc. I never considered for a moment that it was in fact this foundation because I just didn't want to believe it. It is the #1 bestselling foundation and the fancy blue box itself claims the formula is non-comedogenic and non-acnegenic. I also find it strange that although I am not the only person who has experienced this nobody has been able to successfully pinpoint the actual ingredient(s) that may be causing breakouts. The truth is anytime I have this in my makeup rotation and especially when I wear it on a continual basis my pores become clogged, my complexion looks dull and I get these wet angry pimples on my chin and jaw area. But when I put this at the back of my makeup drawer and use other foundations my skin mysteriously clears up to the point I honestly don't even need a foundation. Its like the more I wear ELDW the more I need to wear it because my skin looks so bad.

I'm just so heartbroken about this because I adored literally everything about this foundation for a very long time. I recently bought a new bottle and I will likely return it because I am no longer willing to have pimply unattractive skin so I can continue to wear it. It's time to break up and finally let Estee Lauder Double Wear go...

on 5/3/2018 7:49:00 PM

This is my holy grail foundation.

It looks great after initial application. But what made it my go to is that as it wears during the day, it gets a little more dewey looking on my combo (leaning towards oily) skin. But dewey in a good, “I’m naturally glowing” way. It really wears off beautifully (all foundations wear off as the day goes on, it’s just HOW they wear off on your skin that’s important!). Personally, I’ve never had any issues with it gathering or wiping off the way other foundations have.

The only thing people have to be careful with is that this can look cakey if you apply too much OR if your skin isn’t properly hydrated beforehand. However, that’s a problem that can be worked around once you find out the best way to prep your skin and apply.

Personally, I feel like people with oily skin types and those looks for medium leaning towards high coverage (with spot concealing on problematic areas b/c zit redness/discoloration still peeks through on me) would really enjoy this foundation.Those with dry skin or those that want a lot of coverage after initial application may not be too into it as it would probably look cakey by the end of the day.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Some MU items are classic for a reason. Very few MU products become instant HGs to me and this is one of them. I'm so happy with my purchase. It's highly covering and gives a beautiful finish. It's called a "stay-in-place MU", let me tell you, it does NOT move all day. I swear, I wore it for over 12 hours as I was travelling and my face still looked good at the end ! I agree with other reviewers as it gets better as the day goes by. However, it dries quite fast so you need to blend it quickly. I find it works perfectly with the RT complexion brush. I like that it has no pump because I can control how much product I need, you usually end up with more than you want with pumps.

on 4/27/2018 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Definitely my HG foundation. Double Ware does not budge on my combination skin for at least 12 hours easily and looks honestly much better on my face at the end of the day than most other foundations look in 4-5 hours.
I prefer applying it with a damp beauty sponge on a well moisturized and primed skin. I noticed that I need much smaller amount of product than when working with most other foundations I've tried. With just one very thin layer and a damp sponge I can easily get high-medium or light-high coverage which I really enjoy even for an everyday look. It looks quite natural, I have never experienced cakyness with Double Ware (I think applying it in very thin layers and not more than 1-2 layers helps in that regard). I normally set it very lightly with a bit of a setting powder and I usually don't need any touch-ups during the entire day (not even on my T-zone).
I truly love it and don't even know why I have another 5 different foundations at the moment when all I want to use is Double Ware :)

on 4/15/2018 1:15:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Holy grail foundation - actually looks BETTER as the day wears on and it melts into your face. A few things to know though:
- better suited to combination/oily skin. Dry skin ladies may find it drying on them or they look ashy. If this one is too dry on you, try the double wear light which is still medium coverage but much easier to work with
- buy a MAC pump. Pouring it out is a pain
- mix one drop of serum (especially Estée Lauder Night Repair serum) with it before applying for easiest and most flawless application
- apply to very well moisturized skin, especially after a facial oil but let the facial oil really soak in first. I really notice a difference on how well this applies if I’m wearing facial oil underneath it or not. It definitely is more likely to get patchy or draggy if I am not well moisturized beforehand
- dries quickly so work one area at a time - if you smear it all over your whole face and try to blend it it will lift and drag, so do t-zone/forehead, then cheeks and chin one at a time. Best with a damp beauty blender as brushes create drag too easily.
- DO NOT use in your eye area AT ALL unless you have added serum, face oil or are going lightly. Too drying in the eye area on its own. I avoid my entire lid and undereye - much better to use Lancome effacernes with a light hand for the entire lid area, or the Estée Lauder concealers.
- Set with a little of the Laura Mercier translucent powder using a fluffy brush, or a damp beautyblender. THIS FOUNDATION WILL LIFT IF YOU DISTURB IT so use a light and fluffy hand for powder, blush, bronzer etc.
- buildable, so you can go medium to full coverage but you MUST BUILD IT WHILE IT'S STILL DAMP. Building a new layer over a dry layer tends to create splotchiness/dragging if you're not careful.
- covers most imperfections, but I do spot conceal on bad spots. For minor imperfections I'll just stipple extra foundation onto the spot.

* I remove it with a first swipe of micellar water or EL Take the Day Away and then a full face wash of Cetaphil. No breakouts.
**side note - this does build up in foundation brushes and doesn't wash out well with even dish soap, shampoo, anything - stays caked in the brush, possibly from the sunscreen in it. I found vegetable cooking oil (from your kitchen) will dissolve it if you're having a hard time cleaning your foundation brush. Then shampoo or soap out the oil and you'll have a completely clean and wonderfully soft brush again. Better to use a damp beauty blender
*** If you feel the finish is a bit too cakey, it really helps to use an illuminating setting spray especially Tatcha dewey skin mist, or urban decay chill or Smashbox illuminating setting spray though my preference is the Tatcha for sure. Then I have the full coverage I want with the youthful glow