Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

12/2012 REFORMULATION

I've already reviewed this foundation like 4x but now I'm back because I have additional comments on it (because I care about my makeup that much and I'm not ashamed of it).

Is it just me or do certain newer bottles of ELDW feel like they've been, erm... reformulated? This is hard to explain but I'll do my best. I've bought several shades over the last few months to play with because it's summer and I'm tanning. It's almost as if the the most recent stock-ups of Double Wear feel slightly more runny and have less of that cement-esque feel that I remember. Picked up a shade of 2W0 Warm Vanilla (new shade) and it felt oddly different. Ended up returning it because it was too pale and exchanged it for 2W2 Rattan which was thicker, more coverage and had the slight tacky feeling after application. Its almost as if Estee Lauder tried to do a sneaky reformulation and now the older bottles are swimming around with the new ones...

on 7/17/2017 5:38:00 AM

I've hated this product since the day that I bought it. Since the sales lady just applied the foundation on top of my make up, I saw that the appearance of it on my skin isn't very... great. But I let it go coz I knew that I have a make up on and thought it just didn't blend well with whatever I had on my face. So I bought it and went home and removed all my make up. I hated this product, I've used different primers, from Benefit, smashbox, becca and Makeup forever but none of it helped. So I thought it's because of my sunscreen, so I also tried different types of sunscreen, to the sticky type, to watery and gel type, still, it looked bad on my nose area. Like the product didn't want to stick to it and there's this separation and tiny bumps. I've also tried different moisturizers, after awhile, I gave up. The product looks great IF I don't put anything on my face but the foundation, and that is a big NO for me. So this month, I ran out of my Kiehl's serum so I've decided to buy the Advance Night Repair Serum since they have a promo. I applied the serum and my usual skincare and make up routine then used the Double Wear foundation, and GOODNESS! It looks great! I can't use this product without the ANR serum. So far it's really good and I like how it looks on my skin.

This was MY ONLY foundation in my 20's. I have combo skin, with some cosmetic acne back then, which i wanted to conceal since it has such a perfect coverage.
I was never without it eventhough there were very few colors in my country back then, and i used the "fresco" shade without it being a perfect match for me. it was kind of greyish on my skin and that was the only reason i stopped using it, while a lot of brands developed excellent foundations in matching colors.
fast forward and DW has noumerous of shades now here, mine match being 2N1. almost absolute match.
i am back now in my 50 s. i don;t need a complete coverage now, no scars at all, still combo skin. this makeup eventhough long lasting and covering, if well hydrated, gives a dewy finish, and when you use a small amound blending it well in a well hydrated skin, can be a sheer makeup for mature skin.
a real HG of all times, coming from the past (same goes for ANR).
nice bottle, but it SHOULD HAVE A PUMP EVENTUALLY, than spill it from that big hole.... this is the only con a can find.

This make-up is frustrating. It has a gorgeous finish, it can be sheered to nothing, beautiful coverage, great colours, looong lasting and wears off beautifully. But it's SO congesting. The best part is that it's perfect for oily/acne skin, but I feel that the reason it works so well is what seems to cause the problems. Bad, bad congestion and breakouts, hard to clean out of the pores. I'm not saying don't use, but don't use it regularly and steam your damn face afterwards!!

Personally, I don't think this feels heavy at all.
Good coverage bur sinks into my pores if I don't wear a primer.

Get with the program EL! This needs a freaking pump!!

on 7/8/2017 11:45:00 PM

Absolutely love this product. It's one of my all time favourites but I need to use a foundation brush. I don't like it with a blending sponge for some reason. I need to make sure I'm well moisturised before and I use a primer and a light powder over the top. I'm either cool bone or ecru depending on the time of year but one of the sales people introduced me to ivory beige for a night out and bizarrely I love it. Apparently lots of people get it and it's not their normal colour. I understand now.

Short Review about the Foundation (About 3min) with all the information that you need, no shit chat, no talking about cats and dogs... just facts and the foundation enjoy! :)

on 6/18/2017 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I used this foundation in high school when my skin was oily and needed extra coverage. It was perfect and so easy, because I never had to set it with powder, and yet it still stayed all through the school day and kept my skin from getting shiny. The only reason I've moved on from it is that I prefer something a lot lighter now and my skin is no longer oily.

But for younger girls that need extra coverage or have spots, this is the best! I still use it occasionally when I want the higher coverage.

Wow, this is one tenacious foundation. I was skeptical before trying it but it really does stay put on my oily nose.

I got "color matched" to wrong shade but got a sample before buying. I am NC15 and the SA gave me equivalent of NC30ish. I used Temptalia's Foundation matrix and went in and asked for 1W1 Warm Bone sample. It is the palest yellow toned shade in this foundation. At first I was put off as it is very yellow. I started using up the sample just on my very red nose & cheeks. I was blown away by the coverage and staying power. The match is pretty good though if I wanted to perfectly match my neck they would need a paler yellow toned shade. I then started using just small dabs on the rest of my face that I blended out carefully. I find my fingers work best for blending. You have sufficient time to blend but it does set fairly quickly. I blend in a paler foundation (Laura Mercier) along my jaw line into this foundation and it works quite well so no distinct demarcation line from face to neck.

It doesn't totally cover my hyperpigmentation but I don't expect a foundation to do that. For me it gives very good coverage and I use enough to improve my skin but also to let my skin show. I don't get how anyone could use 1 or 2 pumps (with added pump) on their face and it not look cakey....that is just too much. And anyone with super dry skin won't be happy with this unless they prep with a good moisturizer. I use over sunscreen with good results.

I really like this foundation for everyday use. Its light, natural looking and very easy to apply.

The foundation does do what it says on the packaging - "double-wear, long lasting". I was very happy with this foundation in terms of how it looked throughout the day. My skin can become very oily throughout the day but I never had any issues with this product as it seemed to absorb all of the excess oils my body was producing. It also is so light that I never broke out with this makeup which I loved.

In terms of colour - They have a very good range of color shades that can easily match any skin tone (even though originally I had to speak to at least 5 different women who were supposed to be "experts" at color matching an they all got it wrong.)

I would say that this foundation is for you If you have combination skin, I have dryer skin and this foundation would accentuate all of the dry patches on my face (however much moisturizer I applied) which gave me this awful patchy look.

The issue I had most with this foundation is that even though it does last all day - the coverage is very minimal. I had to apply lots of layers of this product just to get a minimal coverage (which was a pain since the bottles are only the size of a small hand sanitizer bottle and I had to keep replacing my foundation.) My skin is also quite sensitive and because of the lack of coverage with this foundation, I had patches of red and patches of covered areas all across my forehead, nose and chin.

The packaging is not very good because again, It's so small that you have to go get a new bottle quite often depending ion how you use it. It's also a glass bottle which isn't very practical for travelling etc.

I found that the price of this foundation would be amazing if you had a bigger bottle size and or didn't have to use as much product to build decent coverage. It seems as if you get slightly ripped off in terms of the amount of product you actually receive when you spend £32, because it isn't a lot - especially when you use a lot of it to build a decent coverage. However, you're paying for the brand "Estee Lauder" so it isn't going to be as cheap as drugstore makeup.

I really hated the fact that I had to stop using this foundation because it was so light on my skin it almost felt as if you weren't wearing any makeup.