Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

12/2012 REFORMULATION

on 1/23/2017 7:19:00 AM

After hearing mixed reviews about this foundation, some rave that it covers everything and lasts all day, and others saying it is thick, drying and "feels like cement", I finally decided to give it a shot on two occasions (so far). One on a particularly bad skin day, with a big pimple to hide, and second on a night out. I have oily skin.

First off, the packaging is crap. you have to pour it out into your hands - which is messy, and you have very little control over how much you get out. Probably because it is too thick to draw up through a pump, but a squeezy tube like the DW light could work.

Application felt horrible. It actually did feel a little like applying cement, it was thick and sticky and very difficult to blend. Perhaps a paint roller would have sufficed?

Having got the negatives out of the way, it did cover well and where I did manage to blend it the finish looked flawless. The shade was a good match too, and it did stay put all day without any shininess coming through. However it did start to come away in some areas, like it was drying up and peeling away.

Glad I tried it, but will save for bad skin days or special occasions. Would probably not repurchase.

I love this foundation, BUT not for every day use. It provides great coverage and easy to build up. It has a wide range of shades and my two favourites are 2N1 Desert Beige and 1N2 Ecru. I love it as I know my makeup will last all night and not run down my face, however, after a few hours my skin starts to feel a bit dry and almost painful. Overall, I will keep re-purchasing it, because I trust it on a good night-out like no other foundation, but I always need other foundations to keep in my makeup collection for every day use, because nobody wants to feel uncomfortable on the daily. :)

on 1/5/2017 6:05:00 PM

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I have a love/hate with this but it is a staple in my foundation arsenal. I'm NC25 in Mac Pro Longwear and I have this in 2W1 (dawn) and 2N1 (desert beige). I reach for the 2W1 more. It is a very good long wearing foundation especially for those with oily skin like me. It will break apart on my nose late in the day but looks fine on the rest of my face. Less is more and a little goes a long way! Make sure to cleanse well to get it off. Additionally make sure to exfoliate and moisturize before application. Overall it is an excellent foundation.

Edit: using Mac skin refined zone on my nose has helped tremendously. This is a good foundation and I will always have it on hand.

on 1/3/2017 12:59:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

My number 1 foundation, for the following reasons:

1) FULL COVERAGE! I have rosacea and just generally bad-looking skin, and this is the only foundation I have ever used which covers it all and evens it out. Also, even though it is full coverage, it feels lightweight on the skin and is like I am not even wearing makeup.

2) It stays in place all day, and looks exactly the same at the end of a 12 hour day.

3) It's compatible with my dry skin. All other full-coverage foundations I have used look horrifically cakey and unnatural on my skin. Estee Lauder DW is a miracle, in that it sits beautifully on my skin and doesn't exacerbate my dry patches.

4) The palest shade is pale enough for my ghost-like skin. (Some might say too pale, but nothing blush and bronzer won't sort out).

Nothing is perfect, I suppose, so negatives about this product include:

1) No pump, so you do tend to waste a lot of product. This problem can be easily solved, however, by buying the MAC pump which is compatible with it. No more waste!

2) £££
However, even though it is expensive, I would say it is worth paying the price for. You are getting a high quality product which is going to last a long time, as the formula is thick and you only need to use a little bit to cover the face.

I will never stop using this product!

I really do love this foundation albeit pricey $$$. Worth it though. It's awesome to find a foundation that really allows you to build layers--provides me with both light and thicker coverage. A little goes a longgggg way. I've got a pretty pink/red cherry face naturally and this really camouflages all that

I do find the product dries fast so I apply it with a damp beauty blender sponge to my face. Having double-whammy combo skin, I get pretty oily in my t-zone and this foundation holds up pretty well against that, even without using a primer. So that gives it more brownie points

I do kind of hate that it doesn't have a pump top. Mostly because I'm half asleep when applying this in the morning and I end up pouring a monstrous amount onto my hand

Received this as a Christmas present (from my sister who went with me to get colour matched) so have not used it that much but here are my thoughts on it so far. I wore shade 2W1 Dawn
PROs:
Long lasting -over 10hour wear so far,
budge-proof,
Reasonably large colour range,
Dries fast and does not need setting with powder (unless in areas that are oily)
Didn't break me out and also feels really lightweight!

CONs
Quite difficult to clean off every bit with just face cleanser as it is so budge-proof but easy if you have an oil cleansing balm.
Shade was matched perfectly in store but it is much more orange on me in natural lighting!
Dries fast so you have to apply it quickly!
No pump and so poured way too much and so some went to waste.
It bunches up together around my nose but with a bit of strobe cream mixed it seemed to fix that problem!

Final thoughts:
It's an alright foundation but probably would buy a lighter shade!
Looks better as time goes on!
You would probably need to buy a pump (if you can find one that fits)
Works well with brushes more than a sponge (for me)
Little drying on non oily areas of my face as it is a matte foundation
Helps other makeup stay put longer!
This is a light to medium coverage foundation but buildable, as my freckles were still incredibly visible with one layer but two covered them well.
If you have got dry skin and still want to purchase this, (even though it is formulated more for the combination-oily skin types) you should definitely moisturise well before and leave it all to soak in before you apply your foundation!
Overall I like this foundation but there are cheaper drugstore alternatives that I like more!

EDIT: MAC PUMP FITS PERFECTLY!!!

I wanted to try this foundation for a long time but because it's very pricy I waited. I got a $20 off from Sephora so I thought this would be perfect time to try. I have to say I'm very disappointed and glad I did not pay full price for the product. The reason why I don't like it is that it accentuates my large pores and it has a rather chalky appearance- I guess some may say matte. Otherwise the colour is very beautiful and it does last a full day. The lasting part is important for me as all other products I try just don't have staying power. This product may be perfect for someone with discolouration because it has excellent coverage but not for someone with large pores or wrinkles. The bottle is nice, heavy glass. But, unfortunately there is no pump so hard to get product out. Maybe this product will be better for summer when my skin is more greasy...but then I'm not sure I want a heavy looking foundation for summer. Colour I purchased is 1W1 Bone. It's one of the lightest ones. I won't repurchase

My HG product. I continually try to find an alternative, and something to replace it - but I always go back to wearing Double Wear. (Colorstay is NOT a dupe in my opinion)

This foundation is full coverage, but I have found that it wears more on the medium side for me. I will do do a full face and then go back over any problem areas (mainly the chin and lower cheeks). It dries to a matte coverage, and refuses to budge (I live in Southern Louisiana)

My recommendation is to get color matched on this foundation. Thankfully, there are a ton of shades, but the wrong color can make you look like you're wearing a mask.

Highly recommend this foundation for girls looking for a matte, long-wearing, full-coverage foundation.

on 12/26/2016 11:22:00 PM

This is my HG liquid foundation. I've been using this foundation for more than 2 years and it does not break me out. I have acne prone skin and I never had a problem using this foundation. This foundation is very long lasting, (i gues it will last forever on my face lol!) But kidding aside, this the best foundation in the whole world. My shade is 2c2 Pale Almond, it looks very natural and not cakey. I believe you need to find the right shade for you in order to give you best result when you apply. By the way I'm using the sponge from make up forever for the application. But trust me, this foundation will never ever let you down especially on any important occassion. I will definitely use this foundation on my wedding. 😊 I really-really love this foundation.

This is my HG foundation. It covers so well and stays in place all day, I'm talking 8+ hours.