Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Liquid Makeup

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Liquid Makeup

on 1/11/2019 5:23:00 PM

My HG foundation, and it's been like this for many years. Surprisingly enough, I like the reformulation even more than the original, which is unheard of for me.
I did take a break from wearing it for a couple of years, because the original had started looking not-so-great on me, so I replaced it with ELDWL and tried a few others. But luckily this summer I decided to try the reformulated version, and I fell in love once again.

I wear the shade Ecru, same as before, but this time it seems to match me much better (NW15).
I only apply with a BB, I haven't tried this one with a brush because I feel like it would be too thick. But with a damp BB and without a primer, my skin looks very smooth and healthy. I prefer using it without a primer, I feel it lasts longer this way.
It is not too matte on me, but it does control oil while looking very skin-like.

I don't have much to cover, just redness and some old acne scars, and the coverage is medium-high and buildable. It lasts until I remove, which sometimes is after 24+ hours (I know it's bad, but sometimes I sleep in it if I don't spend the night at home). It hasn't broken me out.

The only con I can think of is the pump-less bottle, but I use a pump I had from a Smashbox foundation and it fits well. I also heard MAC sells pumps that fit this bottle, but I haven't tried it myself. And of course the price is not all that budget-friendly, but at least to me it's worth it.

It's my favourite foundation. It's really efficient (30ml for 6 months), last all day, my skin look natural (I think). It doesn't have any smell (it's a big plus). But it's better for winter, for summer time it's too heavy. It's worth to invest in your face and comfort;).

on 12/28/2018 3:38:00 PM

I finally tried this foundation after hearing about how great it is for years. Of course I apparently chose the wrong time - they changed the formula! I use CosDna as an ingredient lookup for anything and everything that goes on my face. It's how I check if something will break me out or not (and it's always been right!), so I accidentally looked at their old formula when checking it out, which has a clean record! I picked some up yesterday, looked at some reviews on here last night, and saw that it has a bunch of "bad breakout" ratings recently, so I decided to revisit the ingredients, and there we go, they changed the formula. Too bad, I really like it. I'm wearing it today and I do already have some small bumps on my face....wow. If your skin isn't sensitive then it's a semi-matte, full coverage foundation that has held up around 9 hours and counting without fading or getting oily, though my nose feels a bit dry.

on 11/18/2018 4:04:00 AM

MUA, I’m telling you now and listen to when I say this... It’s thick! It’s not a watery based consistency whatsoever so don’t expect a dewy sheer finish. You can add moisturizer to your foundation to make it dewy and lighter if you want.

It does, however, cover and conceal amazingly. Its the only foundation that doesn’t break me out. I tried so many foundations, from Becca to Mac to Fenty to Clinque to Lancome and Cheap Drugstore Foundations.. I always come back to this.

I still haven’t found my favourite. I wish I didn’t like the Double Wear foundation so much because its thick and super expensive. But there’s a reason I’ve stuck to it for many years.

Highly recommend to use beauty blender with it

on 11/14/2018 9:28:00 AM

On opening I noticed a strong paint like smell which seemed to go away on application. The texture is fairly thick and runny. Coverage is full but you have to work quickly as it dries very fast!

In terms of how long it lasts...It does not seem to transfer at all and I find I do double cleanse to effectively remove this. Unfortunately it oxidizes like crazy and noticeably so. I also found that on wearing for a few hours I became very conscious of it on my skin and my skin did not feel like it could breathe (something I did not feel with the Max Cover version). Also be wary if you have dry skin as this really clings to everything.

I did not finish the bottle nor repurchase as the oxidization was perhaps the biggest deal breaker for me

I've re-purchased Double Wear 3 times now and I do still love it! I wear this mostly as a weekend/going on a night out foundation. I have combination to oily skin. The coverage for me is full coverage, however I still use powder around my T-zone. I got colour matched in store, and it is the perfect match for me. I am fairly light, I am in the shade Ecru. The downsides, it doesn't have a pump and it does dry fast, so blend fast! But would definitely recommend.

Short Review about the Foundation (About 3min) with all the information that you need.

on 10/22/2018 6:31:00 AM

Okaaay so I have used this for the last 10 years, on and off. After about 6 years of using it I wanted to see if I could find any other foundations and just explore a little... I’ve tried many foundations, Clinique, Nars, Dior, mac, too faced, and the list goes on.

Nothing beats Estée Lauder double wear for me. I always come back to it. The price is high yet it lasts for a long time and it stays on my skin so well, but I like to set it with a powder. I don’t usually use it by itself but I’ve heard good things with just itself. One bottle lasts me between 1 year to a year and a half and I use makeup almost every day. You don’t really need to use much since it has got quite a lot of coverage.

Surprisingly, this does not dry out my dry skin since it’s a quite heavy and matte foundation. I use this in the Norwegian winter and it doesn’t affect it all. It doesn’t cling onto my dry spots but I always make sure I moisturise well beforehand. It doesn’t settle into my fine lines either or it doesn’t budge. I like to use urban decays optical illusion complexion primer underneath this and I set it with Nyxs HD translucent powder. It stays put all day. At the end of the day, it becomes more of a nice dewy look for me.

At one point I thought that this was contributing to some really bad acne that I got several years ago. I decided to stop using it and try out something less heavy. My acne went away and so I thought the foundation wasn’t that good. Again after some years I decided to try this out because the price was cheaper in Australia ($50 AUD) and I remembered that I loved how long it stayed put on my skin. I didn’t get acne this time (wuhu! :D) So I think it was probably from hormones and also because I didn’t have the best skincare routine back then either. You REALLY need to make sure you remove this properly and cleanse your skin otherwise you may get some clogged pores and tada, there’s the skin problems. I find that with many foundations do this either way if you don’t remove the makeup/cleanse anyway. :)

Application: I used to use my fingers when I was younger but I had found that kinda made me look a bit cakier than what i wanted... so I highly recommend using a damp sponge. I use the real techniques sponge for this and I think it evens the foundation out perfectly. Ever since using the sponge I no longer have a cakey look :)

For the packaging, as many people have stated, a pump should have come with this for hygienic purposes. But I thiiiiink you can actually buy the Estée Lauder pump seperately or if you can’t find that, Mac or Clinique have good ones that will fit the bottle.

Shade range:
Back when I first started using the ELDW, there wasn’t an impressive amount of shades but now they’ve really stepped up their game. The new additions are great! I have a friend who has super pale skin and she’s always struggled to find her perfect shade. She tried DW before the pale shades came in and now she’s very satisfied.
For me, I am around a Mac nc 15/20. I like to use between ELDW 1n1/1w1 for winter and 1n2/1w2 for summer. I have a neutral skin tone leaning warm. If I need to change anything, I sometimes mix them together or I mix in the smallest amount of turmeric depending on what shade I want to achieve.

I’d say give it a go. It’s worth getting a sample. This is my holy grail and I hope it works out for you :)

This stuff is good but not great especially not for the price. It definitely stays on but I noticed that it seems to show my pores way too much and it's drying on my skin. I have combo skin; it looks dry and flaky on my nose and chin. I've tried 5 different primers and it still makes my pores very noticeable.

I think it works better on younger skin. If you're in your mid-30s like me and don't want your pores to be exaggerated try something else especially at this price point.

Double Wear Stay In Place Makeup definitely lives up to the hype. It is a full coverage foundation with a matte finish which lasts all day on the skin - even through heat, humidity and sweat. This is what I put on when I know I am having a long day and will be wearing makeup for around 12 hours. I like the look of this best when applied with a damp sponge, it maintains its full coverage look whilst not being heavy and looks more radiant than when applied with a brush. This makes my skin look perfect - but still look like my own skin. It doesn't ever look cakey or heavy. It doesn't cling to dry areas or textured areas. This product is amazing, and I highly recommend it. The only downside is that you need to buy the pump separately - and it is quite expensive at $10AUD. Happily you only need to buy one pump and can put it into new bottles of foundation but it is very pricey for a pump! The foundation itself is quite well-priced at $58AUD. It's not as expensive as other equivalent products such as Nars for example. This product is so good - everyone needs this!