Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

on 8/9/2018 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Firstly, this foundation is very pricey. Doesn't even come with a pump or any applicator.

Secondly, terrible oxidation. Looks fine when applied but turned my skin into Annoying Orange -both colour and texture (yes I do have a few textures but this foundation just amplifies it, thanks a lot.)

Lastly, it feels heavy, tacky and uncomfortable.

Seriously, who allowed this foundation to be sold on the shelf?

on 8/7/2018 1:24:00 AM

Non-transfer all day wear. I mix 2N and 4N for the right color. I have used for years, have tried many different things but always come back to this stuff.

on 7/22/2018 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This foundation always settles into fine lines or creases, doesn't cover hyper-pigmentation, and I find it gets a bit oily (which makes it easier to rub/wear off through the day). That being said, I can see why everyone likes it so much. It does last longer than other foundations by a stretch, is build-able for fuller coverage, smells lovely, and feels like nothing on the face. Primer is very important with this foundation because different primers make this foundation look better or worse.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really really wanted to love this foundation but I had issues with it.

The first problem was the colour matching - I was matched to Pale Almond which I bought a whole bottle of, but it's just too dark and too pink. I went to a different store and the SA gave me a generous sample of Desert Beige, which was so nice of her. Unfortunately this was too pale and too yellow. Looking at the shade range I find it totally baffling.

The staying power is amazing. I applied it with a damp beauty blender working fast and kind of bouncing it in.

It really is like paint, and that's another problem for me. It creates such a uniform finish (like paint!) that instead of covering uneven skin it seemed to make it more obvious! It just seemed to highlight every uneven feature because of the flat, paint-like finish. I've since tried Max Factor Lasting Performance foundation and I actually prefer that, and it's cheaper. I might give Double Wear Light a try though - always on the search for the perfect foundation!

I hate the fact that it's not in a tube or that it doesn't have a pump top, especially considering how expensive it is. And it's runny so too easy to waste it.

on 5/27/2018 2:18:00 AM

I did not like this foundation. It felt like paint on my skin. It exentuated all my flaws such as dryness and didn't blend well. It dried so fast it was hard to apply and had a chemical smell. It was a huge disappointment as it has so many great reviews but did not work well on my skin. Maybe for someone with oily skin.

on 5/24/2018 11:36:00 AM

The best stay in place make up ever! I have been used this product over 4 years now. It stays on my face over the day. My best ever!

This is a cult foundation for a reason, that being its staying power. It adheres to the skin like paint, and stays there until you take it off. I find it could be described as specifically formulated for oily skinned ladies and gents, as it doesn't need setting powder (unless you have exceptionally oily skin i presume), doesn't break down on critical oily areas throughout the day (nostrils, in between the brows, nose, inner cheeks), doesn't oxidize or change color. I absolutely adore it and yes, if i had to wear a single foundation for the rest of my life, this would be it.
This is my "husband" foundation. The rest are all occasional, short-termed, exciting but quick-fizzling, cool-but-enough-now "affairs".

Pros:
- one of the few foundations that actually does what it claims to do;
- great coverage without looking dry, cakey or streaky;
- beautiful smooth finish, like glass/paint;
- very long lasting;
- unbreakable, doesn't dissolve on oily areas or under the eyes. This particularity is almost impossible to find in other foundations, in my opinion, and if met, it comes with significant disadvantages (extreme thickness, dryness, for example the Kat Von D/ LA Girl foundations);
- contrary to other reviews, i personally don't find it drying under the eyes at all. Eye cream is a general must for the skin regardless of one wearing makeup or not;
- extensive shade rage, for pretty much everyone;
- very buildable if applied fast;
- a little goes a long way, a bottle will last for months with daily use;
- replaces concealer successfully;
- good skin tolerance (didn't break me out);
- wonderful natural look for its consistency and coverage. Pretty much 5% heavier on the skin than liquid foundations.

Cons:
- expensive (but good things cost money);
- the significant shade range makes it difficult to choose one's right tone, particularly in store lights;
- the glass bottle albeit beautiful is not user-friendly and needs a pump;
- needs attentive removal, hard to scrub off.

I will continue to repurchase this foundation and not the light version as i don't want to stray. The company could offer a more extensive guideline for choosing the right shade and add a pump and they'd be market leaders.

on 5/17/2018 5:04:00 PM

pros:
med to full coverage
matte and do not need to set with powder (i have oily combo skin this keeps me matte all day)
long lasting
great color selection, (nc20-25, 2w1 dawn in this foundation)

cons:
broke me out and very skin congesting
can look dry and cakey if put too much on or if you dont moisturize well enough
smells a bit odd
no pump

Id suggest the nars radiant longwear foundation, its much lighter on the skin and does the same thing except this lasts longer and is a lot more matte. But since i got cycstic acne from this id never use this again

It is with an extremely heavy heart that I write this long overdue conclusion that truly grieves me. My relationship with this foundation has endured for 3 years and although I was deeply in denial for the majority of that time I can now face reality and say definitively that Estee Lauder Double Wear breaks me out. Basically, I am both a makeup junkie and someone that takes very good care of her skin. I never fall asleep in my makeup and even when stumbling into my house drunk at 3AM after a wild party I still indulge in my skincare routine. I use the double or triple cleansing method where I remove makeup with a cleansing oil, use a face wash and follow up with a toner and a chemical exfoliant like glycolic acid, AHA, BHA etc. The only reason I'm even sharing this information is because I feel like whenever someone pops up and accuses Double Wear of residual effects people are so quick to judge like "Well maybe you're not removing it properly" or "It could be something else in your beauty routine".
For years I was convincing myself that it was my face wash, moisturizer, primer, diet, dehydration, pollen in the air, my cat etc. I never considered for a moment that it was in fact this foundation because I just didn't want to believe it. It is the #1 bestselling foundation and the fancy blue box itself claims the formula is non-comedogenic and non-acnegenic. I also find it strange that although I am not the only person who has experienced this nobody has been able to successfully pinpoint the actual ingredient(s) that may be causing breakouts. The truth is anytime I have this in my makeup rotation and especially when I wear it on a continual basis my pores become clogged, my complexion looks dull and I get these wet angry pimples on my chin and jaw area. But when I put this at the back of my makeup drawer and use other foundations my skin mysteriously clears up to the point I honestly don't even need a foundation. Its like the more I wear ELDW the more I need to wear it because my skin looks so bad.

I'm just so heartbroken about this because I adored literally everything about this foundation for a very long time. I recently bought a new bottle and I will likely return it because I am no longer willing to have pimply unattractive skin so I can continue to wear it. It's time to break up and finally let Estee Lauder Double Wear go...

on 5/3/2018 7:49:00 PM

This is my holy grail foundation.

It looks great after initial application. But what made it my go to is that as it wears during the day, it gets a little more dewey looking on my combo (leaning towards oily) skin. But dewey in a good, “I’m naturally glowing” way. It really wears off beautifully (all foundations wear off as the day goes on, it’s just HOW they wear off on your skin that’s important!). Personally, I’ve never had any issues with it gathering or wiping off the way other foundations have.

The only thing people have to be careful with is that this can look cakey if you apply too much OR if your skin isn’t properly hydrated beforehand. However, that’s a problem that can be worked around once you find out the best way to prep your skin and apply.

Personally, I feel like people with oily skin types and those looks for medium leaning towards high coverage (with spot concealing on problematic areas b/c zit redness/discoloration still peeks through on me) would really enjoy this foundation.Those with dry skin or those that want a lot of coverage after initial application may not be too into it as it would probably look cakey by the end of the day.