Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

3.9

12/2012 REFORMULATION

I bought this product after reading a ton of reviews with people who make this their go-to. My first application wasn't exactly life changing or anything but I kept trying with different application methods mentioned on various tutorials. I used primer, no primer, exfoliated before and moisturized. I used a beauty blender, various different brushes and after all that I'm just left thinking Meh.

For me I felt like it aged my skin and sucked the life out of my complexion. Maybe I'm just not a full face matte person. I can't deny it covered everything pretty well but it got to the point where I'd rather show a zit than have such a dull complexion. In my experience it settled into lines and pores. I work 12 hr shifts and even if the coverage was still there my skin just looked worse and worse as the shift went on.

I still have half the bottle and will retry in the summer when my skin isn't as dry.

on 3/15/2017 1:45:00 PM

I put off buying this for years. Probably because I despise trends and tend to do them till others catch on. (I got a tattoo in 1984. Listen, there weren't even "tattoo artists" in 1984.)

This works very well for me. Two common complaints befuddle me. One, that it is hard to get off. Two words: micellar water. Done. Also, that it doesn't have a pump and you have to pour it out. Um, whut? Remove top, put your middle finger over the rim, turn bottle upside down. Touch finger to nose, cheek, cheek. Repeat bottle action. Forehead, forehead, chin. Use brush or sponge to spread. Done.

I am lucky that I don't often have to be out for hours and hours. But when I do, I am so glad I can depend on this gem to stay in place.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have a lot to say about this product. I really did try to make this work and got through the whole bottle in doing so but my opinion remains unchanged; this looks terrible on my skin.
Let's start with the positives; this foundation can be really full coverage. On the days where I was going for a really full on look, this aspect was good. Also, it does not budge. It feels almost waterproof as taking it off can prove to be a task. This makes it great for nights out. I know so many people who love this foundation, but more often than not, their skin is flawless to begin with and they have a normal skin type. This allows the foundation to just glide over the skin giving an even, full coverage finish and it does look beautiful.
However, if your skin is anything like mine, you may not like this. My friend has the exact same skin type as myself and her opinion on this foundation was the same. I have an oily T Zone which has resulted in a lot of texture. This includes breakouts, large open pores, blackheads and whiteheads. Whilst this foundation made my cheek and under eye area look flawless where my skin is normal, my T Zone looked like a hot mess. Any texture on my skin was emphasised to the point where I'd sometimes remove my foundation because I felt it looked better without it. This foundation sunk into the large pores on and around my nose, and clung to the blackheads and whiteheads making them appear larger. What made it worse was the huge contrast between this and how smooth and flawless the rest of my skin looked. My nose would look almost dry because the foundation clung and made the area look chalky. So I guess if your skin is oily without the texture, this COULD work for you to help keep your skin looking matte. However, the chalkiness on the clinging areas meant that it started to break apart as the days went on. Another disappointing factor is the packaging. It's a pumpless bottle so you have to pour it out - I wasted so much because a little of this foundation goes a long way. You can buy pumps but for a foundation of this price, you'd expect the full package without having to purchase add-ons. The pouring process also leads to mess around the top of the bottle which is inconvenient if you're in a rush and don't have time to be cleaning it up.
The reason why I said I'd repurchase this is for a couple of reasons. The first is I think this could look good for photography if it is at a distance due to the full coverage matte finish. The second is because this would look great on my clients who have more normal skin than myself.
So to summarise, this foundation has the potential to be great, just not for someone with skin like myself.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have dehydrated combo skin. Ive been searching for years for a foundation that would not separate on my face. I used MUFE mat velvet for a few years but found it to be too matte and made me flakey. Colorstay was a little better but still very drying. I found this gem and have been hooked. I use a hydrating primer underneath and apply this with my Tarte airbursh brush and my face is absolutely AMAZING. I actually enjoy doing my makeup now whereas before I dreaded it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

The lightest shade available in my country is Pebble. Which is way to dark and orange for me. Which is ofcourse my problem and not the product's. I bought it anyways because it made my skin look flawless and it dries very nice and quickly. Im going to try and lighten it with the La Girl Pro HD liquid foundation in White because Ive heard they have the same quick drying formula.
The only downside: the stupid opening. No pump. Just letting the product pour out...

Will report back, make up soldiers!

First I have to say that if you are looking for a foundation with some "give" when it blends out, then this wouldn't be for you. Even with a primer and/or moisturizer you have to work quickly to blend. I do my face in sections, and add more as I go. Dabbing some all over the face to start with won't work. For me a dampened beauty blender works best, but a brush will also work great. If for some reason I have to use my fingers, I mix some moisturizer in with the foundation first. This foundation is very full coverage, and long lasting. The finish is matte, and looks flawless when it's applied the right way! It lasts all day for me even in the summer.

on 3/10/2017 3:13:00 AM

When I was on vacation in Thailand, I went to Central Festival wich was like makeup heaven.
All the brands I can not buy in the Netherlands, and such a colour range which varied from very light to dark.
As I am extremely pale the Double wear is only sold in a shade too dark for me in the Netherlands, in Thailand I found 1w1 which is a great match. (comparable to Bourjois healthy mix in color 51)

First of all, the packaging.. There is no pump, only a big hole which makes it hard to get a small amount of product out of the bottle. The package looks chic but isn't usefull. Another thing I don't like is the smell. Like MAC, Estee Lauder Double wear got this same chemic smell. I know perfumes are no good to your skin but I love the way Bourjois Healthy mix smells like fruits. :)

The coverage of this foundation is extremely good, it is a thin liquid substance. Not a creamy formula more 'chalky'. I apply it with my beautyblender which give me a nice even finish. Not cakey at all, but it does emphasize the wrinkles around my eyes and when you use this foundation, don't forget to give your face a bit more dimension using a bronzer/blush, otherwise you'll look like a little porcelain doll :)

Okay!!!! So after finishing my 4th bottle of this foundation I decided to write a review bcz I want everyone to give it a try. If you are very oily or in a humid hot place please don't forget to carry it. It's the best foundation for the shades issue, with good yellow tone, yes it lasts long for a good time with primer, I won't say 15hrs without any diffence but yup it stays quite nicely even in summer, has very good nd matte finish dats wat i love abt it. Doesn't cake wen applied with my butyblendr, ummm only thing is it gives a look of makeup on, I love this foundation over Mac,Clinique,Dior, very very good coverage . Not drying, doesn't transfer, fotofriendly, love it overall .... Must try

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Very expensive (to me) but is very reliable, great color selection, and looks and lasts great. You can use a MAC foundation pump if you want a pump (thanks to someone @ Sephora for letting me know!)

It doesn't make me dry or oily, which is great as I have combo skin. By the end of the day I do have to blot, but it's nothing excessive. You don't need a lot, I only use one pump for most days (medium-high coverage to me). I love to dot it all over my face and then blend it in with a beauty blender for a skin like finish. It has a very slight paint smell to it which goes away when it dries down.

I really do enjoy & recommend this foundation.

on 2/28/2017 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This stuff has the consistency and smells very strongly of paint, if you need FULL coverage and don't mind a cakey feeling then it would be okay for you, but not for me. I have normal- dry skin, this foundation brings out every tiny patch of dryness I didn't even know I had, and it clings to the tiny hairs on my face making my overall skin look like it has a very strange and unpleasant texture. I mix a little in with my favourite foundations when I want a little extra coverage, then it's not so bad but I just do that to try and use it up!