Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

3.9

12/2012 REFORMULATION

I've already reviewed this foundation like 4x but now I'm back because I have additional comments on it (because I care about my makeup that much and I'm not ashamed of it).

Is it just me or do certain newer bottles of ELDW feel like they've been, erm... reformulated? This is hard to explain but I'll do my best. I've bought several shades over the last few months to play with because it's summer and I'm tanning. It's almost as if the the most recent stock-ups of Double Wear feel slightly more runny and have less of that cement-esque feel that I remember. Picked up a shade of 2W0 Warm Vanilla (new shade) and it felt oddly different. Ended up returning it because it was too pale and exchanged it for 2W2 Rattan which was thicker, more coverage and had the slight tacky feeling after application. Its almost as if Estee Lauder tried to do a sneaky reformulation and now the older bottles are swimming around with the new ones...

This make-up is frustrating. It has a gorgeous finish, it can be sheered to nothing, beautiful coverage, great colours, looong lasting and wears off beautifully. But it's SO congesting. The best part is that it's perfect for oily/acne skin, but I feel that the reason it works so well is what seems to cause the problems. Bad, bad congestion and breakouts, hard to clean out of the pores. I'm not saying don't use, but don't use it regularly and steam your damn face afterwards!!

I really like this foundation. I have oily skin and this stays in place beautifully. The coverage is really nice and it does not look heavy on the skin. It does not have a prominent scent. I am quite fair and i have the shade 2C0 cool vanilla, which is slightly too dark but it's easy to balance it out with concealer. The only downside is that the bottle does not come with a pump so you have to pour the foundation out or buy a separate pump. The bottle contains 1fl. oz. which is a pretty standard amount of product for a foundation. This foundation is also a little pricey at over 50€ (57 USD).

on 7/12/2017 12:39:00 PM

I've probably tried every high-end foundation on the market, and poured hundreds of dollars down the drain, only to keep coming back to this baby. This is truly my HG, and every time I cheat on it to try the latest and greatest thing, I learn my lesson and come crawling back. It's the only foundation that offers me full coverage without a sticky finish (looking at you, Kat Von D Lock-it foundation), keeps my oily nose in control, doesn't oxidize pink or orange on me, and most importantly, LASTS all day. I have a busy job and work long hours, often with no time to look in the mirror and touch things up. There's nothing worse than trying out a new foundation that is melting off my skin 3 hours in, without being able to fix it. This foundation, however, is a true workhorse for me and never lets me down. It's the only one I can truly rely on, and trust me, I've tried them all. And, out of all of the foundations I've ever tried (high-end and drug store) this is the only one that I've ever purchased more than once.

My only complaint about this foundation is the lack of a pump. To me, there's no reason why it's 2017 and they still haven't added a pump to this. However, I've found that the pump from my discarded smashbox studio skin (another fail) fits it perfectly.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is popular and for a good reason. It really does last for 16+ hours on the skin. Once on it does not move l and stays flawless throughout the day/evening.

The shade range is amazing so finding a shade to match should not be a problem. I'd advise getting arched at the counter just because there are that many shades!!

It is a heavier coverage foundation so it's not for everyone. It is sweat proof in that I've worn in in high 30/40 degrees C temperatures and its stayed put. I've heard of people using it in the gym too. I'v never worn make up at the gym but I reckon double wear would withstand a gym class!

The only slightly negative point which lost a point from me in the packaging category is that is doesn't have a pump. It's that thick, it could probably clog up a pump. Instead I pour a little on the back of my hand or finger, dot some on my face then use a brush or damp beauty sponge to apply and blend. It is easy to go too far and pour loads out and waste it.

It is a best selling foundation for a reason though. The coverage is amazing. It is suitable or a range of skin types and shades and it does stay put all day. On dry akin types, load up on your moiaturiser as it can be a little drying. It doesn't cling to dry patches though.

I have bought this over and over again and will continue to do so until I find something better.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This foundation definitely stays in place like it says but it seems to show more than hide my pores. I have large pores and use Benefits Porefessional as well as a primer but it still manages to show them which could be different with others. My skin is very pale so it is hard to find a foundation that matches my skin tone and doesn't leave me looking like a Cheeto but I use the shade Ivory Nude and use loose, translucent face powder to set it and so far that has worked for me in not achieving the Cheeto look lol. It's worth the money and lasts a while, I would just recommend experimenting with it and seeing how you can optimize it to its full potential.

on 7/9/2017 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love this foundation. It's my all time favorite, and my go to foundation if I want my makeup to look flawless and last all day. My skin is quite dry, but this foundation does not cling to the dry patches nor does it make my skin look patchy. This foundation last all day, and does not get oily. The foundation sets well, and feels like skin. Not sticky at all, but not drying either. Even though this foundation is "double wear" it looks pretty natural on my skin. I like the packaging, but i would prefer if it had a pump. But it's not a problem, once you get used to it.

on 7/8/2017 11:45:00 PM

Absolutely love this product. It's one of my all time favourites but I need to use a foundation brush. I don't like it with a blending sponge for some reason. I need to make sure I'm well moisturised before and I use a primer and a light powder over the top. I'm either cool bone or ecru depending on the time of year but one of the sales people introduced me to ivory beige for a night out and bizarrely I love it. Apparently lots of people get it and it's not their normal colour. I understand now.

on 7/8/2017 7:46:00 PM

This is my holy frail foundation. I tried so many that I had this one in my Sephora cart months before trying it. I didn't want to waste anymore money.
Surprisingly, my skin is quite dry but this works amazing for it. I do not have to wear any setting powder and it doesn't crease under my eyes. Most days I don't use any concealer. It truly lasts all day, too. I have put this on and left the house at 7am and not washed it off until close to 10pm (although I try not to ever have makeup on that long) and it looked the same as when I had first applied it.
It does not clog my pores or irritate my skin at all, so I am able to wear this everyday if I feel like it. A lot of foundations always break me out and I need to give my skin a break from using them. Not this one! Also the color match is spot on. I am the lightest shade but it doesn't leave me feeling like a ghost.
Lastly, this is my first foundation that I've finished an entire bottle of. Already repurchased.

on 6/17/2017 1:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Wow! I love this stuff.

I'm a foundation junkie. I rarely buy the same thing twice. I've tried SO many foundations; all of Cliniques and MACs, I've tried makeup forever, Dior, benefit, Sephora collection, hourglass, Josie maran, Lancôme, many of the drug store brands (more recently bourjois), Marc jacobs....if Sephora sells it I've probably had a bottle at some point over the years.

This stuff is my holy grail of foundation. It's awesome. Once it's on, it doesn't budge all day. I usually put my makeup on around 7:30am and take it off around 9pm. Usually with other brands the make up has worn off and it looks streaky, and my face looks a little oily.

This stuff is amazing. Nice medium coverage and matte finish, I don't even have to use a concealer or a powder. By the evening, my makeup looks the same as it did that morning. I have combination/oily skin. No oiliness at all.

The BEST foundation I have ever used. Will be in my makeup bag forever (until I find the next best thing). Would highly recommend it unless you have dry skin. Make sure you use a foundation brush to apply as well.

And at $46 a bottle it's practically free!! Great price point.