Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

on 9/14/2017 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I really love this foundation and it is the closest thing to perfect that I can find, which is why I see myself sticking to it for a long time to come. My skin is acne-prone and also very oily, and my skin tone is fair with neutral undertones. What's trickiest about this product to me is the application, bc if you apply it the wrong way you will end up with a very heavy, cakey mess. Because there's no pump rather than pouring it onto the back of my hand/a palette and risk wasting product, I simply put my index finger over the opening, covering it completely, and then give the bottle a couple shakes. There will be enough product on my fingertip that I can cover about half my face- BUT because this foundation sets so incredibly fast you cannot dab it all over your face and blend each section, so I usually wipe some of the foundation from my finger back into the bottle and then do one section of my face at a time. I've found for me it works best when applied with my hands as I prefer to warm the product up and get it to really sink into my skin. I've also found the best application technique is to really rub it into my skin (almost like a moisturizer), bc it often becomes patchy, heavy, and can cake up if I use patting/stippling motions. You also cannot use too much at once, or else it ends up looking very heavy/cakey and mask-like and the longevity and overall look of it greatly decreases.

PROS-
Shade- the best match I've found for my skin, so much so that I can often use it just to spot conceal on days where I want less coverage. I use 1N1.

Coverage- a high medium to full coverage. I find it covers my redness and acne/scarring quite well, but a little bit of redness does peek through. It does build very nicely though so I usually go in where I need more coverage w a second layer (you *have* to work in layers w this foundation bc as mentioned above if you go in w too much all in one go it will totally ruin it).

Finish- definitely a matte foundation, although I find it isn't too much of a flat matte. If I don't set it, after about 15-30 minutes it becomes more of a soft matte.

Longevity- this is both a pro and a con for me. This foundation has the longest wear time that I have found on my very oily skin, about 8-10 hours of it looking quite good and me blotting once or twice. If I'm only wearing it for a few hours I've begun to not set my face w powder afterwards which is something unheard of w my skin, and after a couple hours the finish turns satin-dewy.

CONS-
Formula- for me personally, I find the liquid to be so thick and set so fast that it can be difficult to work with as it's more time consuming and feels heavier on the skin. However I imagine this is the price one pays for a foundation with such good coverage and wear time.

Price- $46CAD is a lot for a foundation, however because you need so little to get the medium coverage I most often go for my one bottle has lasted me over a year now (with me using this the majority of the time I wear makeup), so the price is worth it for me in the end.

Longevity- as a con, my ideal foundation would last for about 12 hours, which this foundation simply cannot do on my oily skin. It just gets way too oily, begins to separate, and also pool into my pores so it looks like I have freckles of foundation. Blotting with a little puff (and sometimes the puff w translucent powder) does help this however.

OVERALL-
I had been on the hunt for a foundation that matched me well, did not break me out, and lasted a long time with my very oily skin for so damn long that for now ELDW is close enough. I don't want to award it HG just yet bc I really would prefer if it lasted longer on my skin, but truly I do absolutely love this foundation and it is my favourite (overall rating on MUA is a 5/5 lippies from me!). After becoming familiar w the formula it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Hopefully one day I will find a primer or even a different foundation that will add up to my HG, but for now I am pleased with ELDW and very much recommend it to anyone w oily skin (altho my bff has very dry skin and it's her HG!)

on 9/13/2017 10:24:00 PM

I can't live without this foundation!!!

on 9/8/2017 4:16:00 PM

I've been wearing this for a few years, tried things in between but always come back to this. I need something matte and long wearing that doesn't break me out or clog my pores. I have oily, large pores, acne prone skin btw & I can't use anything with SD alcohol aka alcohol denat. because of my sensitive skin.
Tarte - Breaks me out
MUFE mat velvet + - Cause overload of oil production
Nars luminous - I was luminous alright
Nars TM- greasy mess
Laura Mercier TM - See above

... anyways you get the idea, nothing works for me. I continue the hunt for something less heavy duty that can control my oil or at least not leave me looking messy, until then I wear ELDW on the daily. Winter I am 2N1 Desert Beige and sometimes Sand, then in summer I am the shade Tawny.

I apply it with a brush and paint it on then smooth it out with my fingers or a sponge.

on 8/31/2017 7:14:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my holy grail! I wear shade 1W2 and there's literally no foundation that is yellow enough for me besides this one...
I have a lot to cover up and this does it so well while not looking cakey or that ugly foundation-y kind of texture that a lot of other foundations give you.
Keep in mind that this does not build though, so I apply a lot initially because if you try to layer it, it just removes the previous layer!
I have extremely oily skin and while this doesn't really keep me matte all day, the foundation itself stays in place and looking good if i blot and powder. I also have horribly acne-prone skin and this doesn't break me out.
I don't think I'll find a foundation I like more because of the finish, coverage, and color! Just wish this came with a pump.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

I can't believe that I took so long to jump on the Double Wear bandwagon. I should've known that there were some really good reasons for people to recommend this product whole heartedly. It's awesome.

I was recently color matched at the Estee Lauder counter and received a 10-day sample. Here's what I love about this foundation:

1) It is super lightweight on the skin even though the coverage is medium to full. I had been using a MAC cream foundation that I love. But the Estee Lauder foundation just feels wonderful and barely there on my skin.

2) The foundation doesn't rub off on anything during the day. It's truly non-transferable. So I don't accidentally get any on my hands, on paper or on the neckline of my tops. I use a powder over the foundation. I'm sure that helps.

3) I'm chocolate brown with reddish undertones. I actually tested three different possibilities since Double Wear has a great range that covers women of color nicely. I finally went with Deep Amber. It's a gorgeous warm color.

4) I have combination skin with an oily t-zone and dry cheeks. I prep my skin well and the Double Wear works perfectly. I wear the Smashbox oil-free primer on my t-zone under the Double Wear and I just do minimal powder touch-ups during the day. And for my cheeks, I wear a slight smear of oil under my moisturizer and the matte finish in the Double Wear doesn't dry me out.

5) The product washes away easily at the end of the day since it is so lightweight.

My only con with the product is the lack of a pump in the glass bottle. However the Estee Lauder counter now sells a pump separately for $10. The product is thin and close to a watery texture. So a pump helps you to control how much you dispense. Frankly the $10 pump will help me to recycle since I'm not about to throw it in the trash each time I finish a bottle.

What a great product!

The formula for this foundation is my all time favorite. I have oily/acne-prone/sensitive skin and I wore this for a long hole day and it made my skin look incredible. I love the coverage and how flawless it makes my skin look. However, I am not a fan of the packaging and wish it already came with a pump. I am also not a fan of the palette ice but since it is my favorite foundation it is worth it to me.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

My holy grail foundation! The best for coverage and for combination/oily skin!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I heard about the hype. Yet it didn't interest me because I thought I'd have my HG foundation with Maybelline Superstay foundation, but Estee Lauder is a game changer for me now. First time I wore this I went swimming on a summer day, everything stayed in place. I took some blotting paper to get rid of the sweat and the foundation still looked untouched. I was very satisfied when I took off my makeup because I didn't need to worry if it melted or cracked. Of course it can't stay on for 15+ hours looking perfect all the time. But when I reach 10 hours it looks like I've worn an average foundation for just a couple of hours. Today I used it again and it's no different than the other day. I'll keep this expensive as a HG for hot, long times (summer, beach, party, clubbing, etc.) and will always be excited to apply it. Pro: - good shade range (Ecru fits good, I'm NW20) - medium, buildable coverage (this ain't full coverage with one layer for me) - matte, natural finish (I still use powder because I always want to be sure everything is set) - stays, no matter how much you sweat Neutral: - price (you don't need to buy it if it's too much $ for you) Con: - packaging (no pump, glass material) Maybelline Superstay is too dry for my skin, I guess. Yet I have combo skin (oily T-zone, normal/dry cheeks and undereyes). SS can look cakey on me if I'm not careful while applying, it's not as transfer proof as EL and the shade range is meh. So, welcome new (and forever) HG to the family.

on 8/16/2017 1:43:00 PM

Holy Grail Product for me. I have fair skin with some mild sun damage that I am now seeing a dermatologist for. I am on light therapy for and Retin A. So, I needed full coverage with a foundation that would not look cakey or splotchy. Also, one that would not dry my face out. Although, before I get into how wonderful this product is I will say that you should use a good moisturizer underneath and SPF, and I use a good primer (Smashbox). But really that's with any foundation.

So, in my opinion the formula is quite velvety. It goes on quite smooth and believe me, you do not need a lot. I have found that a dry beauty blender is best if you are wanting full coverage. If you just want a nice, full coverage, but not too much just every flaw covered but breathable and still natural, just use one small amount of a coat: 3 or 4 dots on each cheek and a couple on your forehead and chin-lip. Use the blender and tip for around your nose etc; It is absolutely buildable if you want a heavier look.

The price is a bit steep but it is worth every penny and it does not sweat off, it lasts up to 12 hours (seriously-I have long days) and it will not break you out even with sensitive skin like mine. The colors are very nice and natural. I chose Sand. My only gripe about this product is that it does not come with a pump. However, I have heard that you can buy a pump from Mac that fits it perfectly.

I bought my Double Wear from Ulta and they really help you there; so, I wish you well in your purchase I think you'll be surprised.

Stay Gorg!!!!

on 8/10/2017 11:25:00 PM

The "big guns" of foundation- not for amateur makeup wearers!! Awesome full coverage (hides blemishes and scars), lasts all day and is a great buildable foundation! It may be too heavy for those who hate the feeling of wearing foundation or those who want a more natural look. I wear it all year round but some may also think it's too heavy for the summer. With that being said, it's not extremely easy to remove- lots of face wipes plus face wash. It dries matte which is great for those who dislike a dewey finish, buffs in easily and evenly and doesn't streak. It is a bit expensive though-but well worth the money! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!