Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

4.1

on 5/31/2018 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

PROS :
- very long-wearing formula (it even stands-up a slight scratching),
- fluid, slightly runny texture, easy to blend (more beautiful texture and finish than Colorstay),
- medium coverage in one layer,
- blends seamlessly (neither blotchy nor patchy)
- gorgeous "second skin" finish, with a very slight sheen, and no powdery appearance,
- respects the skin texture (no blurring effect... that never lasts anyway),
- strong adhesion to the skin, with only very minimal settling into fine lines or pores,
- rich in pigments shades, neither gray nor brownish (a little too bright whatsoever but that’s what brightens the complexion),
- fast drying but not to the point of instantly setting upon contact with the skin,
- truly self-setting, if a powder is used it’s mostly to tone down shine,
- no darkening while it sets and barely oxidizes during the wear time,
- perfectly transfer-proof (my powder brush does not collect foundation, its fibers remain clean and fluffy),
- precise numbering of the shades,
- available in 61 shades (in Australia),
- soluble in pure alcohol (which allows an easy cleaning of the sponge, or brush, which was used),
- alcohol-free and fragrance-free.

CONS :
- the now classical main drawback : NO PUMP !!!!! Seriously, Estée Lauder, drugstore brands add pumps on their less than 10 bucks foundations and there is no pump on yours which costs an arm to the toes (and requires to prostitute granny to get enough money to buy it) ??!!!
- has a clear tendency to either peel off from the skin or cake when applying a second layer (see comments),
- slight uncomfortable "resinous" sensation when the product is set, but it vanishes later when the foundation is mixed with the skin natural fluids,
- slightly tacky feeling (though less tacky than Colorstay),
- does not control shine that well (but, on me, nothing does),
- expensive, but it is undoubtedly worth the price.

COMMENTS :
Most foundations darken and/or change undertone when setting (which requires to wait for a swatch to fully set before checking if the shade is a good match)... this one does not. Small digression by the way : I have always found ridiculous all these online swatches that are "wet-not-set", it does not reflect the final result.

As it is self-setting, it is useless to rush to powder it (if it’s powdered too early it cakes). One exception : the under eyes area. Regardless of the product I use, foundation or concealer, the product always creases into fine lines, so as soon as I get a flawless application on this area I immediately set with a translucent powder to prevent the product from further creasing.

It is essential to apply it one section at a time because of its fast drying time (don’t dot it all over your face hoping to come back on these dots to blend them later, the last dotted area will be impossible to blend).

Like many other products in the Double Wear range, this one has a strong (and exasperating) tendency to either peel off from the skin or cake when trying to apply a second layer, or simply when joining two areas (when using a blending sponge). In fact it is a matter of pressure : if, like me, you tend to press the foundation like a madman (trying to push it far into the skin hoping that it will last longer) you're damn. Gentleness is the key : using your sponge blend the foundation with the delicacy of a dandelion pappus carried by a light breeze, and not with the heaviness of a rammer flattening the bitumen.

I like the wide range of 61 shades and their precise numbering :
- the first digit indicates the main level, from the lightest level 0 to the darkest level 8,
- the letter indicates the undertone, C for Cool (pink based), N for Neutral neither too pink nor too yellow (in theory), and W for Warm (yellow based),
- the last digit modulates the intensity within a main level (1W2 will be a little darker than 1W1).

I use two shades :
- 1N1 Ivory Nude best matches my skintone but, despite its yellow base, it’s still a touch too pink (I have a very strong yellow undertone),
- 1W1 Bone is more golden but slightly darker than 1N1 so it ends up a tad too dark/gold on me (unless I tan),

Let’s note that the making of the undertones was surely done in a state of pronounced drunkenness (or it is the numbering which was made randomly) when one compares 1N1 Ivory Nude which is on the yellow side and 1N0 Porcelain which is on the pink side (both are N).

At the end of the day, given its tenacity, I use a cleansing oil (or a two-phase micellar water) to remove it easily and completely without pulling/damaging my skin.

And above all, USE A SPONGE !

EDIT 07/27/2018 : Estée Lauder just launched new shades, including 1W0 Warm Porcelain which is ever so slightly lighter and less pink than 1N1, and much lighter than 1W1 (though not as yellow)... it's one of the closest matches I've ever worn ♥♥♥

Here are some comparative swatches on my arm which is around MAC NW10 but my face is more NC10 boosted with a tiny bit of NC15 (or anything with strong yellow undertones). I also created a comparative table of the shades available in various countries.

From top to bottom :

TOO FACED Peach Perfect Snow
BAREMINERALS BarePRO 03 Champagne
BAREMINERALS BarePRO 07 Warm Light

on 3/6/2013 7:41:00 PM

Now, if you had asked me to review this a few months ago, i would have called it the God of all foundations, the ultimate, no comparison, untouchable, the list goes on, but what they have turned this once flawless foundation into has completely broken my heart, and caused nothing but absolute despair.

After suffering with very bad acne for the majority of my life, and going through 15+ years of using several different foundation brands to find the match that suited me, i finally came across this about a year ago *how i did not know of it sooner... wow...*, not only did it cover up every spot, every scar, every blemish, and every hint of redness on my face, but it did not oxidize into an orange blobish mess, stayed put even when swimming, through heat, through cold, rain, sweat, everything, but it lasted all day, and to finish it off a little would go a loooong way. It was the first foundation that matched my very pale skin tone, and the first to not break me out... WHAT ON EARTH HAVE YOU DONE?!

For the first time in over a decade I had confidence, I had heard of this foundation from Cassandra Bankson who at the time was a young woman who had suffered from the worst cystic acne, ever. She appeared on the news after she had received many Youtube hits for her video on how she used this makeup to hide ALL of her redness *and she was as red as a tomato*, her scars, everything Needless to say I rushed out and tried this because if it could cover HER FACE and make her look FLAWLESS then WOAH.

But why? What possessed you to change the BEST FOUNDATION EVER CONCIEVED into this complete travesty? And what is even more disturbing is the price remains the same? Yet the quality is that of some of the cheapest drugstore brand makeup? Disgusting, deplorable, inconceivable, why why why why WHY!!?!?!
So MANY people with abysmal acne problems have used your foundation for a very long time and have come to rely on it to have the confidence to show their faces in public, why would you do this to us? After years of searching for such a gem and you do this? Not only have you lost and will continue to lose many customers, but you have also lost a huge amount of respect for your foundation to turn out like the rubbish Avon produces it makes my mind boggle

This new formula causes breakouts, barely has 1/3rd of the staying power, oxidizes into a grose blotchy mess, is much thinner and does not cover anywhere near as well as it used to, has no SPF, the old colours have been replaced with new ones that are no where near the colours of the old versions, with the lighter colours like Shell removed completely *and the lighests colour now doesn't even come close*, and it does not apply well at all how you could market it for the same price is its just a complete scam.

For the love of everything, bring back the old formula, and bring back the old colours, DONT FIX THAT WHICH ISNT BROKEN!!!!

This is my new HG foundation! I'm one of those unfortunate people who can only buy oil free foundations because any foundation that has oil, oxidizes and turns orange or darker on me. And it's because of this reason I started to use BB creams more than foundations. This foundation gave me excellent coverage for a flawless look that I love. I apply this foundation with the Real Techniques buffing brush. Rattan 2W2 is my perfect shade! No oil, no orange, no breakouts and it's transfer resistant! I also use this with Laura Mercier foundation primer, so I don't know how it would hold up without, sorry ladies. Although I have dry-combination skin, this does not accentuate my dry spots because I tend to really moisturize my skin prior to applying. And this foundation is also great on photos too since it has no SPF, so no white faces! Haha! Only cons I can say about this foundation are that it's not easy to blend and you can really feel you have foundation on your face! My previous HG was Kat Von D's Lock-It foundation, but I find that this is a better color match and last longer as well.

More about my Skin Type and Other Concerns: Light-Medium, Neutral-Warm (yellow) undertone, tans easily (hardly burns), easily irritated, clear/no breakouts(only during menstrual cycle), dry-combination and very little to no wrinkles.

Other foundations tried or did not like either because it oxidized(orange), made my skin oily, or has a pink undertone regardless of how warm and yellow it claims to be: Urban Decay(worst highend), Nars Sheer Matte, Kat Von D Lock It, Cover Girl, Revlon, Almay, Laura Mercier, L'Oreal, Prescriptives, Bourjois, Maybelline(Worst drugstore found), MAC, Chanel, Christian Dior, Cargo, Shiseido, IMAN, Make Up For Ever

MY Shades in other foundations:
Kat Von D: Medium 52
MAC: NC-30/35
Christian Dior: Linen 021
Urban Decay: 2
Laura Mercier: 3(Powder Foundation), Sunny Beige(Liquid), Ochre Tinted Moisturizer
Nars: Ceylan
Chanel: 40 or 50
Shiseido: O20 or O40 (Ochre)
L'Oreal: Nude Beige
Bourjois: 52 Vanille
Revlon: Sand Beige
Covergirl: Nude Beige 832
Make Up For Ever: HD Invisible (120), Mat Velvet (No.40), Face&Body (Alabaster Beige 32)

Full coverage, long lasting foundation, no breakouts or skin irritations, fully covers my redness (mild rosacea) and several melasma spots = what's not to like? So glad you asked:

1. the bottle - really EL folks, come on - get into the 21st century and put a pump on it!

2. price - nuff said.

For reference, I'm : MAC = NC15; EM (semi-matte) = Fairly Light; Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 hour = #100 Ivory; Revlon ColorStay = #150 Buff; Avon Smooth Minerals Pressed Foundation = T04 Nude; EL Double Wear = Desert Beige; Jane Iredale = pressed base in Bisque; Lumene CC Cream = Fair; Smashbox Camera Ready CC = Fair.

I am usually all about finding the cheaper dupes for the expensive products, but in this case, I will spend the extra $ and here's why:

1. Coverage lasts about 14 hours if I don't seal w/ Urban Decay All Nighter. Coverage lasts about 10-11 hours w/out. Since I will always have UD, this is not an issue for me.

2. I no longer have to use undereye concealer for my undereye circles OR color corrector to hide my redness - this foundation completely covers both which is THRILLING regarding my redness because I absolutely HATE HATE HATE my redness showing through!!! This product has taken a 3 step process and reduced it to to 1 step = saves me time + $$ :) (PS - also fully covers my 3 melasma spots) :)

I apply w/ my slightly damp BeautyBlender sponge = I get fabulous,even, non-cakey full coverage. I haven't tried any other application method since this one works so well for me! On days that my redness is less red, I can thin this out by using a more damp BB sponge = love the options! UPDATE = I now exclusively use my Real Techniques Miracle Sponge since its far cheaper and performs exactly the same as my BB :)

Now - about the stupid bottle - I purchased a MAC pump top purported to fit this bottle (I actually purchased off Ebay for $7) and WHEEEE - it fits like a glove! Comes w/ cover and a locking option for travel!!

Do be aware that I obtained samples from 2 different department stores that lasted me about 1.5 months so I really got to test drive this product before investing in it. I suggest having a SA apply to a spot on your face and then take 1 of their mirrors and go stand outside to get the true color. The first SA I visited applied 3 different colors to different areas and gave me the absolute wrong opinion as to which shade was appropriate for me. I didn't figure that out (it looked fine in the store) until I checked outside in my car = lesson learned!

Finally - I did also test drive EL Double Wear in Light (01) - see my review - I like the regular DW better only because Light didn't 100% cover my redness and there is no way to increase the coverage level w/out going back to using a color corrector whereas w/ the regular DW, I can thin out the coverage if I want to as discussed above.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

After hearing so many wonderful things about this foundation, I thought I'd give it a try. I got some samples from the Estee Lauder counter, and found a match for my skin tone in Cool Bone. That is pretty much the last good thing I can say about this foundation. As a woman with mature skin (43, combination, large pores, fine lines, orange peel texture in spots) this foundation was a NIGHTMARE. It literally accentuated every single thing wrong with my skin. It sunk into my pores, gooped up around my nose and into the orange peel textured skin between my eyes, it also accentuated every fine line around my eyes...it was literally a hot mess on my face. I used this with 3 different primers, thinking it may help, it was the same with every single one. I think if you have great skin, and you just need something to cover some redness or a few blemishes then this will probably work for you, but if you have some bigger issues, well....GET A SAMPLE first, because it could save you from making a costly mistake.

on 10/13/2014 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

*UPDATE* January 2015: This foundation causes clogged pores! I wanted to love it. I really wanted to keep using it but I've ruled out everything else and ever since discontinuing the use of this foundation, my face is finally clearing up. I didn't realize I was breaking out since I'm on a strong antibiotic for acne so the new pimples on my face don't last long and they go away really quickly. However, I did notice I had TONS of clogged pores after about a week of use of this foundation. I had clogged pores all over my forehead -- somewhere I NEVER break out. I haven't had a pimple on my forehead in years!!! I tried to rule out everything other than this foundation because I loved the finish it gave me, the longevity, the shade match, and everything I ever wanted in a foundation but unfortunately something in this product breaks me out. My face is still recovering from the clogged pores it gave me, they're only coming to a head now-- about a month after they got clogged. It's honestly such a disappointment because I love this foundation so much but I can't keep using it. Thank God my hyper-pigmentation is fading so I don't need to use such a full-coverage foundation but even so, I loved the finish this foundation gave... Ugh. Just a warning for any extremely acne-prone ladies out there!

on 7/26/2018 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

So I finally got around to trying Double Wear. Summers where I live are hot, this summer we have had record breaking heat, and the A/C at work isn't that great. My previous foundation was a disaster half way through the day. I correctly matched myself with the shade 2N1, Desert Beige. Dispenses as a a thin liquid, a bit surprising as back in the day full coverage meant cream or stick formulas. Blends fairly easily, but it helps to have brush or beauty blender. It doesn't set so fast that it can't be blended, a problem I had with Smashbox. Smashbox set to fast I had to work in sections or it could not be blended., This does set without a powder, I choose to use one since said heat has made my skin oily. Back to the coverage part, this is marketed as a full coverage foundation, several other reviews have said this was artificial, or paint like. I did not find that to be true, the coverage is nice there are definitely foundations that offer more coverage and do look heavy or mask like. Double wear looks very natural and I say it's more medium to full than straight full coverage. I did apply a single even layer, rather than try to build this, which may be why. This does have a matte finish, but again, it's not overly matte to where the face will look dull or the color flat. Wear time is excellent, the first Day i applied this at probably 3am because I had an early shift, still looked good at the end of my work day, and into the evening. There was some minor wear after maybe 12-15 hours. Day two again, only some minor wear on the nose, but my nose is super oily even when the rest of my face is dry my nose is just an oil factory. Honestly most foundations wont even stick to my nose, this one did so a thumbs up there. Stay in Place makeup is part of the name, and they aren't joking, Once this sets it's absolutely budge proof, and will not transfer. I deal with seasonal allergies which means I sometimes rub my face or need to blow my nose, which can cause makeup to rub off or smudge. This stays put through that as well. Double wear is a good choice for oily skin, i get dryer in the cool months so time will tell if it works with dry skin. If you are a lady of a certain age, I'd advise getting a sample first as this does somewhat settle into fine lines. I purchased mine at an Estee Lauder counter and there is a pump that come separately for this since the lack of a pump seems to be problematic. Price is about the same as other department stores brands. Nice glass bottle, and the addition of the pump is helpful. 5/5, I would repurchase, long wearing, nice finish, and transfer proof.

on 7/24/2015 8:33:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I often swap between MAC Studio Fix and Estee Lauder Double Wear as my two main foundation staples - these two foundations are my favourites. Ive broken down pros and cons below.

COLOUR - MAC Studio Fix has a larger variety of shades/depths which personally results in a better match to my skin tone. Estee Lauder Double Wear has quite a distinct WARM/COOL colour to their base and I personally find matching a little harder (only a tiny bit!). This really is just a minor point.

COVERAGE - MAC Studio Fix is VERY buildable - you can layer it when going out or wear it lighter for the day. You can reapply to cover spots/blemishes/under eyes very easily over and over throughout the day without noticing the layering. * When you re-layer Estee Lauder Double Wear I find that it appears to shows the layers a little more, with slightly darker/lighter bits- its as if the Estee Lauder Double Wear layers and seals on the first application, so if you add another layer it doesnt sit as well. If you layer Estee Lauder Double Wear up on your FIRST application, it does last very well.

CONCEALERS - the MAC Studio Fix concealer mixes well with MAC Studio Fix Foundation but often creases under my eyes and rubs off on my nose it doesnt handle grease on the skin very well. The Estee Lauder Double Wear concealer (double wear) is lovely and really compliments the foundation - it smooths on so easily and matches perfectly - a REALLY good concealer with this foundation - a must have love it!

FINISH - MAC Studio Fix is quite a natural finish it looks lovely when first applied but can get a little greasy as the day goes on for my skin. Estee Lauder Double Wear does not get greasy and has a lovely sheer luminous coverage from start to finish (dewy not glowy!) it lasts!!!

POWDERING - if you powder MAC Studio Fix the consistency and texture doesnt change much, as long as you use a light powder then it shouldnt cake; a heavy one can start to show a little. Estee Lauder Double Wear has no caking at all when powdered.

STAYING POWER - Estee Lauder Double Wear definitely has more staying power. MAC Studio Fix tends to rub off as the day goes on and is more transferrable than Estee Lauder Double Wear. My MAC Studio Fix will often transfer onto my boyfriends face after a kiss, the Estee Lauder Double Wear doesnt!! I feel confident that my face will stay put 100% with Estee Lauder Double Wear - even when Im hot.

Ive tried Lancme Tient Idole, Chanel PERFECTION LUMIRE and Matchmaster from MAC and so far my two favourites are MAC Studio Fix and Estee Lauder Double Wear.

If i HAD to pick one - it would be Estee Lauder - for the lovely finish (its lush!) and the staying power! xxx

PS. I do wish it had a pump - but i just tip it onto my brush/fingers or use a little brush to get it out. :)

on 3/17/2015 12:57:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have tried literally every high end foundation at Sephora and I keep coming back to this one (I am on my fourth bottle). I have extremely oily skin and have been struggling to find a long-wearing foundation that will not separate because of the oils on my skin and this appears to be the only foundation that does not do that. When I say EVERY foundation at Sephora, I literally mean every brand. I think that the ELDW is the closest to a holy grail for me. Keep in mind, my skin is literally so oily that I need 7 oil blotting sheets a day, along with constant powdering or else I will literally look like an oily frying pan. No foundation lasts for more than 5 hours on my face, and I feel the need to take off my entire face makeup and re-do because my skin is THAT oily. The only downside to this foundation is that it will accentuate your dry patches (especially in Western Canadian weather), so you really need to moisturize and exfoliate well before application. In addition, the packaging has no pump which makes it really messy and I tend to get it everywhere, especially when I'm starting to run out and have to flip it upside down to get the bits out. Overall, I REALLY am in love with this foundation and would keep repurchasing until I find something better to control oily skin.

on 8/28/2014 3:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This foundation, along with Nars Sheer glow are my Holy Grails.

Over the last few years, I have used TONS of foundations. Especially those of high end, since I find many drugstore foundations tend to run pink or does not provide the coverage and finish that I like.

My skin type: I have dry skin in the winter and oily skin in the summer.

My coloring: Usually NC25 (can be NC30 in the summer), light-yellow Asian undertone

In the Winter, I wear 2W1-Dawn
In the Summer, I wear 2W2-Rattan

I also wear these foundations: Nars Sheer glow in Fiji, Nars Tinted Moisturizer in Alaska, , Mac Studio Fix in NC20, Bare Escentuals in Light, Urban Decay Naked Skin foundation in 3.0.

This foundation glides over skin, provides a Matte and glowy canvas that adheres to the skin. I find that it provides medium coverage, that is very good at oil controlling. I have used the older formulation and do notice a difference. The old formulation dried quicker, was more matte and better at oil controlling. However, this new formula has more colors and is thinner and more runny. I talked to the Estee Lauder rep and though it does not say there is spf on the bottle, it does indeed have SPF 10 in the new formula. However, under FDA guidelines, cosmetic companies cannot disclose spf if it is under SPF 15. So, this foundation would not look well under flash photography. I love this foundation because it creates a perfect canvas, is long lasting as I hate to reapply, is oil controlling, and provides flawless coverage. I also notice that my face looks glowy-er as they day wears on but not oily. This foundation comes in a glass rectangular bottle with no pump which is not travel friendly. However, you may buy a pump from Mac for about $10 that fits perfectly.

This is one foundation that I will never be without.