Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

12/2012 REFORMULATION

on 3/3/2013 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

To make long story short: The new DW is a pretty good foundation BUT despite having the same name and almost identical packaging, it is completely different to the previous formulation. It not longer has the same full coverage, it is more liquid, less creamy and less dewy. And it has no SPF. It is also not quite as long lasting. In fact, in many ways it reminds me much more of the discontinued Clinique Superfit foundation.
How to tell the new packaging apart from the old: the writing on the glass bottle is now blue, not white.

Now, getting into more detail:
The coverage is more medium than full, so the skin still looks flawless but more natural. One reason why I only liked, but didn't love, the old DW was that, yes, it hides all flaws mercilessly. Especially when you look at your face with the light coming from the front, it gives you that illusion of a perfect complexion. BUT in the sunlight and, most of all, with light coming from the side, you will notice every line, every pore, and every bump. Every flaw seems magnified and this effect adds many years to my face. This was something I could afford in my 20s and maybe still in my 30s but now I have to be more careful.
With the new DW instead you will still see some major flaws but in a "softer" focus and with the light coming from the side the skin appears smoother, unless you apply too much to try and get more coverage. Then it is as unforgiving as the old one. Also the lack of SPF makes it appear better on photos.

The colours have changed too. Many of the names remain the same but some now have a different code. I have the impression that now they are more on the yellow or pink side, which is not good for me as I always struggle to find good cool-neutral undertones in every foundation range and was happy with DW exactly for this reason. I alternated Ecru, Fresco and Pebble, depending on the season, but all three colours are now slightly different.

The MA at the EL counter matched me first with Pure Beige, code 2C1, and gave me a big sample of it but, to be honest, it looks too peachy-yellow on my skin, although once it sets it looks ok. In winter it would be too dark though.
I then tried Desert Beige 2N1 and this is definitely too yellow for my complexion. Finally, I tried Fresco 2C3, which, in the old version was a nice light-medium neutral, but now is darker and more pink. I guess I need to experiment more with the colours but I don't know if it is worth the effort, as there are many other good foundations out there and for the half of the price.

In conclusion, the only thing that both have in common is the odd glass bottle without dispenser and maybe that they are long lasting, so I don't understand why Estee Lauder didn't bring it out as a new foundation with a different name, maybe called DW Medium Matt, instead of replacing the old DW, at the risk of alienating the many faithful users of the old formula and losing them to Revlon Colorstay, L'Oreal Inafllible or Lancome Ultra Idole.

UPDATE: I have now also tried 1C1 Cool Bone, which is the lightest cool shade and is a peachy-pink cool-neutral, and 1N2 Ecru which is also pale but more with a yellow hue. Both suit my winter pale complexion, the first being a bit too pink and the second being a bit too yellow. Having tried many other foundations recently I have to say that in comparison this one has a very cakey effect, it doesn't cover well and is not very long lasting like the old version.

UPDATE II: I have been holidaying in a country with very hot and humid weather and this foundation, with NARS Illuminating Powder on the top, was the only one that performed really good, it didn't budge, no need to blot and to touch up even after sweating. So, it depends very much on your skin type AND on the climat you are living in.

on 7/30/2013 3:22:00 AM

I am so happy I did not listen to all the negative reviews about the new formula. I've been through SO many different foundations (MAC, Dior, Chanel, MUFE, Kat Von D, etc) trying to find my HG, and I can finally say I've found it. The reformulation that happened recently (2012) greatly improved this foundations longevity and finish, but at the same time, sacrificed some of the coverage (which many people are upset about - hence the negative reviews). The way I see is? If you want this foundation to be full coverage, put on 2 layers to achieve that goal. I have combo/acne prone skin and this foundation looks beautiful.

Pros

-Long wearing (12+ hours)
-Water/sweat-proof
-Great coverage (1 layer: Medium, 2 layers: Full)
-Demi-matte finish
-Looks natural (Not chalky/cakey)
-Does not crease

Cons

-Price is a bit high, but worth it
-No pump, though you can purchase one from M.A.C if needed

My overall advice is to give this product a try, regardless of the negative reviews. I was very hesitant at first, but I am so happy with this purchase. Who would have ever thought it would turn out to be my personal HG? Not me!

**This review has not been built on hype/excitement. Too many times you see reviews for products that people have only used once or twice. I've been using this product for about 3 months now, and still love it as much as when I first applied it. In fact, its the only foundation I've used since purchased.**

There is such hype with this product claiming that it stays in place, transfer free, mattifying, oil and shine free foundation that leaves your skin looking flawless. The liquid foundation claims to last for an entire 15 hours!!! My expectations of Estee Lauder have a lot to live up to as I am a make-up junky who is always trying new things- love anything from high end to drug store makeup. Here is my FULL review:

First off, I would highly recommend getting samples of DW before you commit to buying it, purely to make sure that the color is right for you. There is such a wide range of shades available from Estee Lauder and while it may be easy to find a shade to suit you, you just have to be careful that you're being matched to the correct color as the bright lights in department stores are very deceiving. Don't be afraid to go with your gut instinct as I did and go against the advice of the girls at the counter and ALWAYS get a sample first. I ended up going with a different color than what was recommended to me, because I didnt like how warm the shade was. I have bought E.L. at different department stores, and its usually a hit or miss with those sales associates. Some of them know what they are talking about, and some dont. Just be aware of the lighting in the store, its always best to go home and try it out there. Yes, they have testers for you to try but they still do you no good with the lighting- so get a few samples to try, before you spend the $30+ on this product.

The liquid foundation is very powder based which makes it a godsend for oily skin but feared by those with normal to dry skin. If you have normal skin to oily then you'll be fine with this foundation but I really wouldn't suggest it for people with dry skin as the high powder content makes it very drying. If your skin is more combination or oily with dry patches, I would recommend wearing a moisturiser underneath the Double Wear foundation, even people with oily skin who don't wear a moisturiser under their make up can benefit from a layer under their Double Wear. Again though, this is where getting a sample before hand can prove very valuable as you'll be able to tell from a few wears if this is going to be the right foundation for you. I have combination skin and while I did use a primer under the foundation, it looked good in both my dry and oily patches on my face- it didnt look cakey or gross. It was very light, dried like a powder and I never felt like I was wearing a mask at anytime, unlike some other full coverage foundations I have tried. Both the liquid and powder formulas are very buildable. Both the liquid and powder contain an SPF of 10. As a general rule FYI, if you're going to have your photograph taken then you should stay away from foundations that contain an SPF because it reflects the light from the flash and can make your face look lighter than your body. However Estee Lauder promises that Double Wear is photo friendly and since I have tested this out when having my photo taken during the day and on an evening, I can concur with this. Double Wear therefore is great for keeping your skin safe in the sun and great for when you're having your picture taken- result!

Double Wear liquid can be applied using a foundation brush (Estee Lauder has a really good foundation brush that i LOVE using, especially with their products!) or using your finger tips. Since DW liquid has a high powder content and is therefore fast drying, I like to use my fingers to apply it as this keeps the foundation warm and gives you a little extra time to apply it and blend it in. I like to blend it all over my face and down onto my neck. There's nothing worse than seeing someone whos neck is a completely different color to their face! If you decide to apply with a brush, you can apply to your face in sections allowing you to apply the product, and blend it perfectly before it dries and then move on to the next section. Worked beautifully for me (when I wanted to use a brush). Double wear provides a fast, even application with fantastic coverage, five stars there.

Double Wear is designed to stay in place all day and long lasting it certainly is. It has great staying power and it doesn't transfer onto my clothes. This will be great for next winter when I wear a lot of scarves. I love the finish it gives as it really does make my skin look natural and flawless. If you have combination skin like I do, it applies evenly to both my dry patches and oily patches. I have also noticed that all my other makeup just glides on after putting this on, making it a great base. I DO wear a primer under this foundation, to make for easy application, however I have been in a rush and used without and it still works well. ALSO, because of how good this product works as a base, all my other makeup (powder, bronzers, blushes, CHEAP and expensive) glide on so easy, and work wonderfully (with or without primer under this foundation)

The DW liquid foundation is a bit expensive in general, however this is high end makeup. This is no drug store crap, so when I spend $35 on this bottle, I dont feel bad because I could be spending MUCH more for a brand than this. I also believe the quality of the foundation is definitely worth the price tag and it lasts for ages. If theres one thing you spend a lot of money on in your make up bag then let it be a good foundation because I have learned your other, cheaper make up will sit much better on a good base.

The only thing that I disliked about this product, was the bottle that it came in. The bottle with a normal cap works well if you are applying makeup with a sponge, but there are a lot of us who use a brush or our fingertips, and this bottle makes it so hard to stay clean and not make a total mess. They need to put a pump on the top, so those of us who arent using makeup pads dont end up with foundation everywhere. I love Estee Lauders packing though. two stars,

on 4/19/2013 3:40:00 PM

What have they done !!!!!! This was the perfect foundation....was.

This used to look amazing buffed into my skin, only a little was required...i used to hear people say ohh its so thick and heavy and mask like and i thought well you are using too much then...it used to keep shine at bay, it used to cover like nothing else, it used to last all day, in fact it used to get better as the day went on.

Then they messed with the formula as well as the shades....WHY

Now as i am trying to apply it its streaking and slipping and almost like its coming back off on my brush, then its just sits on top of your skin with this horrible shiny residue. I didn't need a concealer before and now i do as the coverage isn't as good, i have resorted to trying a primer to get it to look like it used too but that didn't work either.

Its like they listened to all those people who didn't like it and adjusted it for them regardless of those of us who loved it.

Even the EL staff at stores have said its not like it was and that lost of customers have complained. I have wrote to EL about this and just get fobbed off with it hasn't changed....really....? so why has it gone down from a 5 star rating to a 2.5 star rating on estee lauder .com in the last few months...???????

I have hunted round and think i have found my replacement in the Smashbox studio skin hydrating foundation...

it wasn't broke, why did you fix it !!!......

What happened to the formulation of this product? I have been using this foundation for at least 10 years. It would last all day long,never fading til I took it off. I just purchased a new bottle....what a train wreck....within 6 hours all my foundation was gone!!! I thought maybe it was a fluke, tried it 2 more times, same thing. So I returned it to Belks. The sales person said that she had 3 returns just this week with the same complaint. I contacted the estee lauder company and asked about the new formulation, the rep swore up and down no changes were made...LIAR! The new box lists a different formulation. Why is the company denying this? I have always enjoyed estee lauder products but this lack of honesty directly from a company rep has me questioning their integrity.

on 8/19/2016 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I am convinced that the MUA rating of this foundation will never change. Literally. Okay, now that I've put my dumb observation out there, I'll get into the actual review lol. This foundation is LOVE. Stay away from this foundation if you have close to perfect skin or if you just need some light evening out of the skin. This stuff is heavy duty. And once you get used to looking flawless, you can never really look back.

First things first. Yes, this stuff is thick and will absolutely look like you have make up on. This is not a "my skin but better" foundation. I really do wish there was a foundation out there that is full coverage and is also invisible, but I'm afraid such a thing does not exist. This foundation comes close, though. It depends on your application technique. I pat it into the skin with a flat top kabuki. If you stippled like two drops into your skin, it could be pretty sheer. A little goes a long way, and one bottle will last you a very, very long time.

Ladies, I need COVERAGE. I mean it. I have acne scars all over my cheeks that are about 5 shades darker than my skin. They look terrible and I can not put any other make up on until they are concealed. I can't just put some lipstick on and be out the door. It looks terrible. Now, I've tried concealing. I really have. Light foundation+heavy concealer was my routine for a while until I realised I could easily learn a language using all that time I spent concealing each individual scar before foundation. It was a nightmare. Till I found this.

This stuff covers everything. I have dark scarring, so I do have to colour correct before applying it, but the rest of the job is done by this baby. I usually don't need more than 2 layers on the scarring. And yes, that is a big deal for me, because this is some of the worst scarring I've ever had to deal with. Other foundations wouldn't come close with even 50 layers if I tried. Set with powder, and no one can even begin to imagine the demon that lies underneath. No but seriously, you should set this stuff if you want that coverage to last. Not the foundation itself, but the layering you've done in certain areas. And that will be true for any foundation you use. Hugs, resting your face in your hands, making a phone call, etc are all a part of daily life and unfortunately are also ways your foundation rubs off. So make sure to lightly set. I do not believe in "transfer resistant" foundation. I don't think such a thing exists. But what I can say is, this stuff does not transfer easily. You'd have to really dig your face into someone's shoulder to leave your mark on them.

This stays on all day, and all night. I can work through the day and then be clubbing the entire night with this stuff on if I wanted to. Not that I go clubbing, though. You need a social life for that. And friends. Just kidding, haha. That said, I have dry skin. It is drrry. But if I exfoliate and moisturise beforehand, it's never a problem. No flakes.

BUT. There's a but. If I don't have time to do some physical exfoliation (scrubs), my chemical exfoliant from the night before does NOT cut it. This foundation will age your skin if you do not exfoliate and moisturise. It will settle into any lines you have, and will catch onto every dry flake you have. And it'll look even worse if you're used to buffing and not patting foundation into your skin.

You need cleansing oil/balm to get this foundation off your face. It is thick and cleansing wipes will get off maybe the first layer. You need to cleanse thoroughly. This does not break me out unless I'm lazy with cleansing. I mean it. Get every drop off. Your cotton pads should come out white. Also- this is not an everyday foundation. You can make it so if you're ready to spend 15 minutes removing it at night every single day. But I'm just not ready for that kind of commitment.

By now, you're probably wondering why you should buy such an expensive foundation if it has so many disclaimers. You have to exfoliate, moisturise, and then be sure to remove it properly. OH and you can't wear it too often! But, trust me. When you look at your reflection in the mirror and see the person looking back at you, it's worth it. People think make up is a way to cover up the person you are. But for me, it's so I can see myself. REALLY see myself for the confident girl that I know I am. But I usually can't see past the terrible skin. It stops me before I can even begin to explore my true nature. So in theory, my insecurities shut me out. But make up lets me break that door down, and be comfortable in my own skin. Okay, this review just got way too sentimental. If you're still unsure, get a sample. It'll be worth it in the end. I promise.

on 6/1/2015 4:55:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

For reference this is the new reformulated version which came into play in 2013.

I have wanted to try this for YEARS but always put it off because £30 for a foundation, to me, is ridiculous. However, when Harvey Nicks were doing a 15% off summer saver evening, I took the opportunity to purchase the foundation as it came in at a cost of £25 making it a bit more reasonable, and only a few quid more than my usual MAC Studio Fix Fluid.

This is lovely for a full coverage, high end foundation with a fabulous colour selection that is far superior to MAC as it is much less 'orangey'. Estee Lauder work on three digits for establishing your correct colour match - 2 numbers, and a letter. For example 3W2, 1N1 and 2C1. For reference (because this took me ages to work out, and its useful to understand) if you take 3W2, the 3 denotes shade intensity (1=Very light/fair, 2=light, 3=medium, 4=medium/dark, 5=dark and 6=very dark/deep). The w means warm. (N=neutral tone, C=cool tone and W=warm tone). And the 2 in 3w2 means the second darker colour in the warm medium skin tone range.

The first thing to consider with the ELDW is the initial application. ALWAYS moisturise before applying this product. I don't usually like moisturising before foundation because I find it makes the product slide off my face, however, the DW needs the moisturising properties as it is a rather drying formula. After that, any tool to apply the foundation will suffice. Day to day, I use a sponge to give a more natural look. Evening wise, I apply with a heavier hand and use a brush.

First off, this has a tendency to sit in some pores (and dry patches) around the mouth and upper lip area, exaggerating their appearance. This is an issue I generally experience with fuller coverage foundations so it would be unjust to state this is a specific Double Wear problem. The foundation sets to a matte finish - fractionally more matte than rivals MAC Studio Fix Fluid and Revlon Colour Stay. As such, the oil controlling properties and general longevity are marginally better too (however, oils on my nose became quite obvious as the day progressed, but this is something I do struggle with generally). The consistency is very runny/liquidy, whereas MAC and Revlon are much more 'solid'. Because of this, you cannot 'build' the foundation and therefore have to work faster, often leading to that obvious 'I'm wearing foundation' look. Occasionally cracks can form where the foundation sits around the mouth, chin and nose, however, I do think very thick, pigmented foundations have a tendency to do this due to their similar formulation. Additionally, the formulation also has a tendency to feel quite heavy on the skin and, as said above, can be quite drying - a problem I don't have with MAC (but often do with Revlon). The lack of pump is not helpful (particularly considering the price tag) but lets be honest, that should not deter you from purchasing the foundation if you like it enough. After a day's wear, the general coverage remained pretty in-tact and I still looked reasonably good come evening time - a testament to it's terrific lasting power. That said, I did itch a bit when perspiring/in heat which proved somewhat uncomfortable (I imagine this has something to do with the mattifying oil controlling properties).

Overall, a good heavy duty, flawless looking (albeit obvious) full coverage foundation that sets matte and controls oil pretty well. You have to like the feel of wearing foundation to appreciate this as it can be very intense looking/feeling depending on your application technique. I would therefore suggest this as a special occasion foundation rather than one for everyday which of course begs one question:

Is it worth the £30 price tag and would I buy it again?

I already have, but on a £5 off deal - I still can't justify £30 for a foundation! Truth is, I'm still in two minds about this one and not 100% convinced I'd buy for a third time. Primarily due to the fact that is does make me itch in heat. The product is comparable to the MAC SFF, but for me, the SFF wins the foundation battle as it proves more versatile, easier to build/blend, provides a great look in flash photography and, for obvious reasons, I personally very much appreciate its cheaper price tag! The downside with MAC is the colours/shades for my skin tone. Alternatively, the Double Wear provides a more natural colour match and doesn't settle in the fine lines on my forehead at the end of the day. As with everything, there are pros and cons to both products but MAC SFF tips DW to the post, in my opinion.

PROS
Flawless coverage
No fragrance - good for sensitive skin
Brilliant colour selection covering every undertone and skintone
A little goes a long way so a bottle should last a reasonable amount of time - more economical than other foundations I've tried
Sets to matte finish that remains intact for the majority of the day
Good oil control (although not on the nose - obvious oilies appearing there!)

CONS
Set into pores and dry patches, allowing for a very obvious/heavy feel and look on the skin
Sets quickly so can easily 'cake up' if not careful during application
Made me itch in heat/when perspiring (possibly due to mattifying oil controlling properties)
Formula can be very drying if used regularly
Does not photograph well at all - I looked dreadful in flash photography with this on, despite the colour match being perfect in person!
Terrible packaging design; no pump - easily wasting product

on 8/4/2016 4:06:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Holy grail foundation - actually looks BETTER as the day wears on and it melts into your face. A few things to know though:
- better suited to combination/oily skin. Dry skin ladies may find it drying on them or they look ashy
- dries quickly so work one area at a time - if you smear it all over your whole face and try to blend it it will lift and drag, so do t-zone/forehead, then cheeks. I use a dior foundation brush to apply and then stipple with a slightly damp beautyblender to get rid of any brush marks
- DO NOT use in your eye area AT ALL. Too drying. I avoid my entire lid and undereye - much better to use Lancome effacernes with a light hand for the entire lid area. Trust me on this.
- Set with a little of the Lancome doublewear powder using a fluffy brush, or a translucent powder. THIS FOUNDATION WILL LIFT IF YOU DISTURB IT so use a light and fluffy hand for powder, blush, bronzer etc.
- buildable, so you can go medium to full coverage but you MUST BUILD IT WHILE IT'S STILL DAMP. Building a new layer over a dry layer tends to create splotchiness/dragging if you're not careful.
- covers most imperfections, but I do spot conceal with Vichy dermablend on bad spots. For minor imperfections I'll just stipple extra foundation still left in my foundation brush onto the spot and then pat gently with my finger or a beautyblender to avoid any brush marks.

* I remove it with a first swipe of micellar water and then a full face wash of Cetaphil. No breakouts.
**side note - this does build up in foundation brushes and doesn't wash out well with even dish soap, shampoo, anything - stays caked in the brush, possibly from the sunscreen in it. I found vegetable cooking oil (from your kitchen) will dissolve it if you're having a hard time cleaning your foundation brush. Then shampoo or soap out the oil and you'll have a completely clean and wonderfully soft brush again.

on 3/29/2013 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I used Double Wear for years and always loved it. However, about three months ago my face started breaking out HORRIBLY. So bad that I was getting ready to go on Accutane --Until I found out that Estee Lauder had recently changed the formula of Double Wear and it was causing a lot of people with acne prone skin problems. A week ago I switched to Clarins foundation to see if it would make a difference and I can thankfully say that my skin is looking better than it has in a very long time. I wrote this review especially for anyone who is having issues with their acne being worse than ever.. if you are using Double Wear then it is probably the culprit! Which really sucks, because this used to be the greatest foundation on the market!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

LISTEN UP! This stuff is for REAL! It is NOT for the faint-hearted! I'm sick of people whinging that it's 'very dry' 'impossible to apply' and 'cakey' because a foundation that literally stays on for like 24 hours is always going to be a tumultuous ride if you ask me. It really is a case of trading off a little bit of your comfort for flawless looking skin for a long period of time.

I swear by this for activities including: going clubbing for 6 hours, working a 16 hour shift, going for a run ..probably a triathlon although I haven't done it.

What I'm trying to convey here is that this sh*t doesn't go anywhere, you need to apply it with a WET sponge for the best application, if you use a brush it's too thick and can become cakey. Also, you can use it very sparingly if you don't need that extreme coverage that a thicker application does provide.

It could definitely do with a pump lid rather than just a screw on one.. but if that would drive the price up then I would rather battle it out without one as it's fairly pricey. (Although there are other similar options that charge a lot more IMO)

I will continue to use this product because it means I basically never have to touch up my makeup when I'm out and about, and I don't have to worry about it (ain't nobody got time for that)