Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

4.1

on 3/6/2013 7:41:00 PM

Now, if you had asked me to review this a few months ago, i would have called it the God of all foundations, the ultimate, no comparison, untouchable, the list goes on, but what they have turned this once flawless foundation into has completely broken my heart, and caused nothing but absolute despair.

After suffering with very bad acne for the majority of my life, and going through 15+ years of using several different foundation brands to find the match that suited me, i finally came across this about a year ago *how i did not know of it sooner... wow...*, not only did it cover up every spot, every scar, every blemish, and every hint of redness on my face, but it did not oxidize into an orange blobish mess, stayed put even when swimming, through heat, through cold, rain, sweat, everything, but it lasted all day, and to finish it off a little would go a loooong way. It was the first foundation that matched my very pale skin tone, and the first to not break me out... WHAT ON EARTH HAVE YOU DONE?!

For the first time in over a decade I had confidence, I had heard of this foundation from Cassandra Bankson who at the time was a young woman who had suffered from the worst cystic acne, ever. She appeared on the news after she had received many Youtube hits for her video on how she used this makeup to hide ALL of her redness *and she was as red as a tomato*, her scars, everything Needless to say I rushed out and tried this because if it could cover HER FACE and make her look FLAWLESS then WOAH.

But why? What possessed you to change the BEST FOUNDATION EVER CONCIEVED into this complete travesty? And what is even more disturbing is the price remains the same? Yet the quality is that of some of the cheapest drugstore brand makeup? Disgusting, deplorable, inconceivable, why why why why WHY!!?!?!
So MANY people with abysmal acne problems have used your foundation for a very long time and have come to rely on it to have the confidence to show their faces in public, why would you do this to us? After years of searching for such a gem and you do this? Not only have you lost and will continue to lose many customers, but you have also lost a huge amount of respect for your foundation to turn out like the rubbish Avon produces it makes my mind boggle

This new formula causes breakouts, barely has 1/3rd of the staying power, oxidizes into a grose blotchy mess, is much thinner and does not cover anywhere near as well as it used to, has no SPF, the old colours have been replaced with new ones that are no where near the colours of the old versions, with the lighter colours like Shell removed completely *and the lighests colour now doesn't even come close*, and it does not apply well at all how you could market it for the same price is its just a complete scam.

For the love of everything, bring back the old formula, and bring back the old colours, DONT FIX THAT WHICH ISNT BROKEN!!!!

on 3/11/2013 5:15:00 AM

I really hope with all the terrible reviews of the new formula of this foundation, that Estee Lauder will wake up and come to their senses and change it back to the old formula. When I heard that they were changing the formula of this perfect foundation and how horrible the new formula was, I immediately found a huge bottle of the current formula on Ebay which I'm hoping should last me until (hopefully) the new formula is banished and the old one comes back. Anyway, to the review of the old formula. My HG foundation. Perfect full coverage (covers all my acne and red marks), lasts FOREVER without wearing off, the colour (Ecru) matches my pale skin perfectly. What more could I want? Only for Estee Lauder not to be so stupid as to try and fix what isn't broken.

on 3/11/2013 11:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

A couple of days ago when I went to Macys, I saw this EL foundation and I really liked the fact that they have it for each skin tone. I got a sample of it in shade 1N1 Nude, since my skin color is light and the undertone natural.
The color is perfect for me, unfortunately right after I wore this for a day and removed my make-up at the end of the day, I saw those breakouts on my forehead and on the cheeks next to my nose.
I was so sad to realize that it is this foundation that broke me out. I really like the way it covers and I wanted to like it so much!
So I read a couple reviews about this product and see now that this foundation used to be much better before, and that now they changed the formula. I am sorry to hear that, because I know how it is to have the perfect product that works great for you and then it is changed into something that doesn't do its job anymore.
Now what I will do is stay with my Giorgio Armani foundation, even though I dislike paying 49$ dollars for it, but at least it does a good job and doesn't break me out.

on 3/11/2013 12:00:00 PM

I have had wonderful luck w/ Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 Hour Foundation (see my review) which as far as coverage for my mild redness on my cheeks/nose/chin areas is a step up from Revlon Colorstay (see my review). However, I got tired of having to use a color corrector and then the foundation. I am usually all about finding the cheaper dupes for the expensive products, but in this case, I will spend the extra $ and here's why:

1. Coverage lasts about 14 hours if I don't seal w/ Urban Decay All Nighter. Coverage lasts about 10-11 hours w/out. Since I will always have UD, this is not an issue for me.

2. I no longer have to use undereye concealer for my undereye circles OR color corrector to hide my redness - this foundation completely covers both which is THRILLING regarding my redness because I absolutely HATE HATE HATE my redness showing through!!! This product has taken a 3 step process and reduced it to to 1 step = saves me time + $$ :) (PS - also fully covers my 3 melasma spots) :)

I apply w/ my slightly damp BeautyBlender sponge = I get fabulous,even, non-cakey full coverage. I haven't tried any other application method since this one works so well for me! On days that my redness is less red, I can thin this out by using a more damp BB sponge = love the options!

For reference, I'm MAC = NC15; EM (semi-matte) = Fairly Light; Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 hour = #100 Ivory; Revlon ColorStay = #150 Buff; Avon Smooth Minerals Pressed Foundation = T04 Nude; EL Double Wear = Desert Beige; Jane Iredale = pressed base in Bisque; Lumene CC Cream = Fair; Smashbox Camera Ready CC = Fair

For me, this is worth repurchasing.

Do be aware that I obtained samples from 2 different department stores that lasted me about 1.5 months so I really got to test drive this product before investing in it. I suggest having a SA apply to a spot on your face and then take 1 of their mirrors and go stand outside to get the true color. The first SA I visited applied 3 different colors to different areas and gave me the absolute wrong opinion as to which shade was appropriate for me. I didn't figure that out (it looked fine in the store) until I checked outside in my car = lesson learned!

If only this came in a pump....o well -:)

I did also test drive EL Double Wear in Light (01) - see my review - I like the regular DW better only because Light didn't 100% cover my redness and there is no way to increase the coverage level w/out going back to using a color corrector whereas w/ the regular DW, I can thin out the coverage if I want to as discussed above.

06/01/14 UPDATE: I now exclusively use my Real Techniques Miracle Sponge since its far cheaper and performs exactly the same as my BB :)

Now - about the stupid bottle - I purchased a MAC pump top purported to fit this bottle (I actually purchased off Ebay for $7) and WHEEEE - it fits like a glove! Comes w/ cover and a locking option for travel!!

on 3/15/2013 3:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I LOVE this foundation. I use the shade honey bronze, I am a mac nc40. I have tried many foundations but I always come back to this one. It lasts most of the day on my oily skin. It gives me a flawless matte look. The big plus is that it does not make me break out which is a problem I have with other foundations. I just wish it had a pump. I put it on the back of my hand first to warm up the product. Then I use use the e.l.f. powder brush to pat it on my face then blend it out. Sometimes I use my fingers and it gives me a flawless finish as well. If you like full coverage makeup you need to try this foundation. It covers all of my blemishes and dark circles. I don't have to use concealer with it.

on 3/23/2013 7:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Love this foundation! When I was on Accutane and topical Retin-A it covered ALL my acne scars and imperfections perfectly without ever causing an additional breakout. Because a little goes such a long way I have only just finished my first bottle which I had for 1.5 years. The reasons I don't give this foundation 5 stars are as follows: 1. If you have SEVERELY dry skin and I do mean severe (were talking peeling, itchy, red) it can highlight fine lines and wrinkles if you aren't properly moisturized and 2. The negative "new formula" reviews worry me just a bit, but honestly I love this so much I wouldn't hesitate from repurchasing! This foundation is one of the only ones on the market that I believe caters to acne prone, sensitive, oily, combination, and dry skins and actually works the same for each of them! If you fall under any of those categories and are looking for a nontransferable, full coverage foundation that is non-acnegenic and hypoallergenic and that has a fabulously extensive color range then this is for you!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I used to love this product!!! However, they recently reformulated it and everything changed. Colors are now too yellow (I used to wear Sand). In addition, the foundation dries up very fast so now it is very difficult to work with if you want to blend or build coverage.

It used to be an amazing product and now it is not!

on 3/28/2013 8:25:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Although this foundation looked great from a distance and was long lasting, my face felt dry after application. A close look in the mirror showed a lot of unevenness and dry skin. To be fair I use Retina A and my skin will peel at times, but this foundation does me no favors. I won't repurchase it.

on 4/17/2013 2:23:00 PM

I am already a major convert to EL Double Wear Light (Intensity 1) so I thought I would give the original formula a go. My real problem area is my chin- where I benefit from higher coverage and I figured that DW could potentially eliminate the need for concealer.

I did the website guide to matching the right colour for you and it came out with shade Bone 1W1. However in store the consultant matched me with Cool Bone 1C1. (The W stands for 'Warm' and the C, 'Cool'). This is where the problems start. Basically there is no perfect match for my skintone. I am pale skinned with yellow/olive undertones. The problem is that the warmer, fair colours are too yellow. The colour that I was matched to is close, as close as they can offer, but still not perfect. I am probably being a little harsh but for me it's so important to get the absolute perfect colour match with a really pigmented heavy foundation.

So coverage- coverage is good. DW applies like a skin paint. Once it's dried, it is on. And it's not coming off without some surfactant action! However, it is maybe not quite as heavy as I thought it would be. I expected it to be very significantly heavier than DW Light and it actually isn't. One big downside to the heavier 'dried on' formula is that around the mouth area where there is a lot movement and elasticity of the skin- the foundation has actually cracked when I smile. The lines are fine but they are there- not a great look!

I can understand why some women love DW. It's just not a great match for me and my needs. I will be staying with DW Light + concealer for the time-being.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I work at Macy's in cosmetics and had one of the girls at Estée dram me a couple samples of this stuff to make sure I liked it. I AM SOLD. I am about to buy the full bottle because this stays on my skin like nothing else. I've used anything long lasting, from Revlon CS to MUFE Mat Velvet + and this stays on all day. From my 8 am class to the end of my work day at 9 pm. Freakin impressive. And I have oily/combo oily skin with acne and scarring. Amazing. HG product for sure.