Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

on 3/3/2013 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

To make long story short: The new DW is a pretty good foundation BUT despite having the same name and almost identical packaging, it is completely different to the previous formulation. It not longer has the same full coverage, it is more liquid, less creamy and less dewy. And it has no SPF. It is also not quite as long lasting. In fact, in many ways it reminds me much more of the discontinued Clinique Superfit foundation.
How to tell the new packaging apart from the old: the writing on the glass bottle is now blue, not white.

Now, getting into more detail:
The coverage is more medium than full, so the skin still looks flawless but more natural. One reason why I only liked, but didn't love, the old DW was that, yes, it hides all flaws mercilessly. Especially when you look at your face with the light coming from the front, it gives you that illusion of a perfect complexion. BUT in the sunlight and, most of all, with light coming from the side, you will notice every line, every pore, and every bump. Every flaw seems magnified and this effect adds many years to my face. This was something I could afford in my 20s and maybe still in my 30s but now I have to be more careful.
With the new DW instead you will still see some major flaws but in a "softer" focus and with the light coming from the side the skin appears smoother, unless you apply too much to try and get more coverage. Then it is as unforgiving as the old one. Also the lack of SPF makes it appear better on photos.

The colours have changed too. Many of the names remain the same but some now have a different code. I have the impression that now they are more on the yellow or pink side, which is not good for me as I always struggle to find good cool-neutral undertones in every foundation range and was happy with DW exactly for this reason. I alternated Ecru, Fresco and Pebble, depending on the season, but all three colours are now slightly different.

The MA at the EL counter matched me first with Pure Beige, code 2C1, and gave me a big sample of it but, to be honest, it looks too peachy-yellow on my skin, although once it sets it looks ok. In winter it would be too dark though.
I then tried Desert Beige 2N1 and this is definitely too yellow for my complexion. Finally, I tried Fresco 2C3, which, in the old version was a nice light-medium neutral, but now is darker and more pink. I guess I need to experiment more with the colours but I don't know if it is worth the effort, as there are many other good foundations out there and for the half of the price.

In conclusion, the only thing that both have in common is the odd glass bottle without dispenser and maybe that they are long lasting, so I don't understand why Estee Lauder didn't bring it out as a new foundation with a different name, maybe called DW Medium Matt, instead of replacing the old DW, at the risk of alienating the many faithful users of the old formula and losing them to Revlon Colorstay, L'Oreal Inafllible or Lancome Ultra Idole.

UPDATE: I have now also tried 1C1 Cool Bone, which is the lightest cool shade and is a peachy-pink cool-neutral, and 1N2 Ecru which is also pale but more with a yellow hue. Both suit my winter pale complexion, the first being a bit too pink and the second being a bit too yellow. Having tried many other foundations recently I have to say that in comparison this one has a very cakey effect, it doesn't cover well and is not very long lasting like the old version.

UPDATE II: I have been holidaying in a country with very hot and humid weather and this foundation, with NARS Illuminating Powder on the top, was the only one that performed really good, it didn't budge, no need to blot and to touch up even after sweating. So, it depends very much on your skin type AND on the climat you are living in.

on 3/4/2013 3:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I think I have found my HG foundation!! I avoided making the purchase because most highly raved about products never seem to work for me and I have a drawer full of high end and drug store foundation that I need to still work through. Finally bought it and I love it!! I apply with beauty blender or brush and has great coverage. It is buildable medium to full coverage, it does not look cakey if you apply full coverage. Great range of shades. Only complaint it does not come with a pump, but I have heard the MAC pump works well with this bottle, so I will try it out.

on 3/5/2013 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've used this product for many years and I love it. Even though they have recently made a change in the product.
I live in a very hot, humid climate. I have very oily skin and a so-so complexion.

Use a primer, and then use a damp sponge to apply the foundation.
Don't try to wipe it on. TAP it on. Patting it in with a damp sponge gives great coverage without the mask like effect.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

HOLY GRAIL FOUNDATION.
Don't be discouraged to try this if you're in your teens. I first purchased this foundation when I turned 16 and it's perfect.
Coverage: Medium or full, depending on the application
Lasting Power: Better than anything I've ever tried. I put it on around 7:00AM it lasts until i get out of work at 7pm (even longer!)
Smell is heavy, but it's such a heavy foundation...what do you expect? The color (I use 3W1 Tawney) is supposed to be Warm but it's more peachy... but the foundation has such good coverage/lasting power/finish that I can get over it.
Finish: Natural or matte. Can look cakey if you don't take the right precautions. (exfoliate often, moisterize, blend well)

Overall, it's pricey but it's a lot of people's holy grail for a reason.
Give it a shot!! :)

Just for refrence: NC35 in MAC Studio Fix and NARS Sheer Glow in Stromboli, Neutrogena Healthy Skin in 60 Natural Beige, and Revlon Colorstay in 300 Golden Beige.)

on 3/6/2013 7:41:00 PM

Now, if you had asked me to review this a few months ago, i would have called it the God of all foundations, the ultimate, no comparison, untouchable, the list goes on, but what they have turned this once flawless foundation into has completely broken my heart, and caused nothing but absolute despair.

After suffering with very bad acne for the majority of my life, and going through 15+ years of using several different foundation brands to find the match that suited me, i finally came across this about a year ago *how i did not know of it sooner... wow...*, not only did it cover up every spot, every scar, every blemish, and every hint of redness on my face, but it did not oxidize into an orange blobish mess, stayed put even when swimming, through heat, through cold, rain, sweat, everything, but it lasted all day, and to finish it off a little would go a loooong way. It was the first foundation that matched my very pale skin tone, and the first to not break me out... WHAT ON EARTH HAVE YOU DONE?!

For the first time in over a decade I had confidence, I had heard of this foundation from Cassandra Bankson who at the time was a young woman who had suffered from the worst cystic acne, ever. She appeared on the news after she had received many Youtube hits for her video on how she used this makeup to hide ALL of her redness *and she was as red as a tomato*, her scars, everything Needless to say I rushed out and tried this because if it could cover HER FACE and make her look FLAWLESS then WOAH.

But why? What possessed you to change the BEST FOUNDATION EVER CONCIEVED into this complete travesty? And what is even more disturbing is the price remains the same? Yet the quality is that of some of the cheapest drugstore brand makeup? Disgusting, deplorable, inconceivable, why why why why WHY!!?!?!
So MANY people with abysmal acne problems have used your foundation for a very long time and have come to rely on it to have the confidence to show their faces in public, why would you do this to us? After years of searching for such a gem and you do this? Not only have you lost and will continue to lose many customers, but you have also lost a huge amount of respect for your foundation to turn out like the rubbish Avon produces it makes my mind boggle

This new formula causes breakouts, barely has 1/3rd of the staying power, oxidizes into a grose blotchy mess, is much thinner and does not cover anywhere near as well as it used to, has no SPF, the old colours have been replaced with new ones that are no where near the colours of the old versions, with the lighter colours like Shell removed completely *and the lighests colour now doesn't even come close*, and it does not apply well at all how you could market it for the same price is its just a complete scam.

For the love of everything, bring back the old formula, and bring back the old colours, DONT FIX THAT WHICH ISNT BROKEN!!!!

I bought this a year ago and the lady in the shop completly got my colour wrong so I ended up accidently buying a darker shade than my face, which has definetly stopped me from using it frequently. I find that this is good quality, it does stay on, but it isn't exactly full coverage. One of my friends tried this on and she completly fell in love with it. I don't think I will repurchase this because of the price and the middle coverage but my friend was pretty impressed.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

YAY! Finally found the best liquid makeup for my extremely oily skin. Seriously, I wear this in the morning at 7.00 with a bit of Clinique's Pore minimizer primer, a bit of Vichy's dermablend powder on top (or, better, Clinique's blended powder), and I forget I wear it completely! And I mean, I am shiny-free ALL DAY! Honestly, this is by far the best foundation for oily skin. It doesn't sit on lines or anything, it covers my occasional spot, what more can I want?? The only perhaps problem is the colours: Whay can't EL get a leaf out of Mac's books?? Ok, they have re-formulated it and the colours are amazing, but I still can't find an exact match like with Mac (I am an NC35): I have a few of them at the moment, and I am between 4N1 (slightly dark), 3W1 (a bit ashy, thought this was the old formulation, so it could be the new one is ok...) and 4W1 (a bit too red, but looks much better during the summer when I am tanned). Vichy's dermablend powder seems to help a bit and bring the 4N1 closer to NC35 which is great. Honestly, I can't live without this thing! The best foundation EVER!

on 3/10/2013 7:17:00 PM

This had been my savior during my struggle with acne; i finished quite a few bottles. It has super full coverage, and therefore, is not very natural looking. With this I never needed a concealer. Whichever way I applied it(fingers/sponge/brush), it literally covered everything. It does not look overly cakey, but is probably not the best choise for someone with clear skin. On the other hand, I'd suggest it to people who need a lot of coverage.

on 3/11/2013 5:15:00 AM

I really hope with all the terrible reviews of the new formula of this foundation, that Estee Lauder will wake up and come to their senses and change it back to the old formula. When I heard that they were changing the formula of this perfect foundation and how horrible the new formula was, I immediately found a huge bottle of the current formula on Ebay which I'm hoping should last me until (hopefully) the new formula is banished and the old one comes back. Anyway, to the review of the old formula. My HG foundation. Perfect full coverage (covers all my acne and red marks), lasts FOREVER without wearing off, the colour (Ecru) matches my pale skin perfectly. What more could I want? Only for Estee Lauder not to be so stupid as to try and fix what isn't broken.

on 3/11/2013 9:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love this foundation!! Be sure to work quick as it doesn't mesh well after!!! Can be built up to a flawless finish goes really well with a beauty blender!