Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

3.9

on 6/13/2018 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I just don’t like this foundation and I really tried to. It’s like house paint! I tried to use it as sparingly as possible and it just made me look old and tired. I don’t think it leaves a flattering finish at all! I’m super oily and break through every foundation, but this was like sludge by the 4 hour mark. One of the worst I’ve used. Drying too.

I like this foundation, but don't love it. I used to love the old formulation, but they changed it. EL salespeople swear they didn't reformulate but just added some new shades, but that is not true. I have used this foundation for about ten years now, and there is a real difference in the last couple of years - the shade I used to wear all day (Cool Bone 1C1) now goes orangey after three or four hours, which never used to happen. And it does not last as long on my skin as it used to. After four hours I notice it is going patchy on my nose and cheeks, and have to reapply if I'm at home. I don't carry liquid foundation around with me, so if I'm out I just have to blot my skin with papers. On the plus side, it does give good coverage over my rosacea and that is important to me, and apart from on my oily T-Zone it lasts quite well. If I had the choice between this and the old formula, I'd definitely choose the latter, but alas, we don't have that choice any more. It doesn't sting and doesn't cause breakouts on me. And I haven't found a better long-lasting foundation, so I'm giving it four lippies and sticking with it.

on 2/22/2018 10:41:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just watch another demo of this foundation, so I pulled it out of the box and retried it with Tarte primer. I do not like this!! this is the cakey, settles is pores and wrinkles and dries to a weird finish that looks dry, powdery and more cakey. I have tried this multiple times with numerous primers and numerous application techniques and the results are always the same. Very unflattering to mature skin. Reminds me of house paint. I had to take it off and start over, which is time consuming. This time I put it in the trash so I will not be tempted to try to make this work. 5 times is enough

on 12/18/2017 5:46:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I used to use this until I switched to Lancome's foundation which I much prefer. DW is a good foundation, it provides good coverage for those of us with less than perfect skin and it truly does stay on all day. I never had a problem matching it to my skin tone,or causing break outs and it stays on well, even in heat and humidity. Overall, it is a good foundation but just a little too heavy and "flat" somehow. It doesn't photograph well, in my experience.

on 9/17/2017 3:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I'm NC20 or NW20 in MAC. I was matched to Cool Bone, which looked very good when I put it on, but by the end of the day it had oxidized, which was a deal killer for me. As others have mentioned, it's not especially buildable. I had to use a separate concealer for spots. Again as others have mentioned it may not be the best for dry skin. My skin is not super dry, and I used a moisturizer underneath and blended with the foundation as well, but my skin just didn't feel that good, especially as the day wore on. Thankfully, I only had EL's 3-10 day trial size made for me, did not buy a full bottle. Try before you buy.

on 9/13/2017 10:24:00 PM

I've been using this for many years. When they discontinued my color 4CSuede it really screwed me up. I didn't know which color to move to after that I went to 3C2 Pebble. That's a pretty good match but a little bit off somehow. In spite of that I still love it. I am going to try some other samples of similar colors to see if I can get closer to my old color. I know they brought in 5 new shades and was hoping they got my color returned but they didn't. There is no other foundation for me like this. I have tried just about every brand out there, and I always return to Double Wear. Most foundations are yellow on me. I am definitely a cool. This is very hard for me match and Oh boy have I tried. On ebay I found a site that sells samples as I am not near an Estee Lauder store. I hope this will help me order my next full bottle.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Excellent matte or almost matte foundation. Wide color choice from cool light to deep dark rich.

Pro: Coverage is full. I put some on my hand and you could see the brighteners and titanium or zinc oxide which makes a reflective cover to hide skin flaws and even tone.

Easy to blend, especially if you use a foam blender.

Wears all day.

No scent, seems to work on sensitive skin.

Cons: It probably will photograph too light (there is a lot of titanium or zinc oxide that is reflective in flash.)
It doesn't have a pump.

It really is full coverage. If you want sheer, my skin-but-better, not your foundation.

Wow, this is one tenacious foundation. I was skeptical before trying it but it really does stay put on my oily nose.

I got "color matched" to wrong shade but got a sample before buying. I am NC15 and the SA gave me equivalent of NC30ish. I used Temptalia's Foundation matrix and went in and asked for 1W1 Warm Bone sample. It is the palest yellow toned shade in this foundation. At first I was put off as it is very yellow. I started using up the sample just on my very red nose & cheeks. I was blown away by the coverage and staying power. The match is pretty good though if I wanted to perfectly match my neck they would need a paler yellow toned shade. I then started using just small dabs on the rest of my face that I blended out carefully. I find my fingers work best for blending. You have sufficient time to blend but it does set fairly quickly. I blend in a paler foundation (Laura Mercier) along my jaw line into this foundation and it works quite well so no distinct demarcation line from face to neck.

It doesn't totally cover my hyperpigmentation but I don't expect a foundation to do that. For me it gives very good coverage and I use enough to improve my skin but also to let my skin show. I don't get how anyone could use 1 or 2 pumps (with added pump) on their face and it not look cakey....that is just too much. And anyone with super dry skin won't be happy with this unless they prep with a good moisturizer. I use over sunscreen with good results.

on 3/15/2017 1:45:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

I put off buying this for years. Probably because I despise trends and tend to do them till others catch on. (I got a tattoo in 1984. Listen, there weren't even "tattoo artists" in 1984.)

This works very well for me. Two common complaints befuddle me. One, that it is hard to get off. Two words: micellar water. Done. Also, that it doesn't have a pump and you have to pour it out. Um, whut? Remove top, put your middle finger over the rim, turn bottle upside down. Touch finger to nose, cheek, cheek. Repeat bottle action. Forehead, forehead, chin. Use brush or sponge to spread. Done.

I am lucky that I don't often have to be out for hours and hours. But when I do, I am so glad I can depend on this gem to stay in place.

on 10/7/2016 10:38:00 PM

I've tried so many foundations and I always come back to this one. Nothing works better. I used this foundation and Tarte's Shape Tape to cover dark circles, and I couldn't stop looking at my skin, how it glowed and how even it was. Not bad for an old chick, eh.