Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Filtered by age: 36-43
Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

It’s been a few years since I’ve tried this, and I think that it comes in more shades now. When I tried it, they gave me about a 2 weeks supply as a sample. I didn’t buy it.
At the time, it was really hard to find any foundation that was light enough (shade wise) for my skin, but the shade that she gave me was close enough. I just used my fingers to apply it. The coverage was pretty good and I had awful acne at the time, so that was quite important to me.
It lasted all day and didn’t seem to visibly sink into my pores even though I didn’t use primer. It didn’t transfer either. But it did not look natural at all. In fact, my husband told me, without my asking for any opinion or even telling him that I was trying something new, that my skin looked like plastic. When I looked in the mirror, I couldn’t disagree. I’d really rather have discoloration or pimples peeking through than look like my face was made of plastic.
Even if it had looked good on me, I don’t like the fact that it doesn’t have a pump. I find that unhygienic and messy. It’s easy to pour out too much and waste it, and I don’t like holding my fingers or a sponge over the opening of the bottle, especially when I end up needing to do it over and over again. I still would have just dealt with that if the foundation looked good on me, but it didn’t.
If you want to try this, definitely get a sample first. A lot of people are able to make it work well for them. I wasn’t one of them, but you could be. Just find out by using a sample for a week or so before you buy it.

on 10/11/2018 10:12:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

OMG, can't believe I missed out on this for so long. I actually bought it before and got rid of it, since it looked cakey and felt heavy. My skin breaks out with almost everything and reviews had me fearful.
Then I forgot my YSL All Hours liquid and needed something in a pinch for an event. Happened to grab a blending sponge, which I don't normally use and it changed everything!
This is just awesome.
Pros
-Excellent lasting power
-Impressive shade range (online)
-Makes my finicky skin happy
-Removes easily with my Neutrogena facial cleaner
-Doesn't transfer, better than my beloved All Hours
-Lovely natural matte finish
-Doesnt settle much in my lines

Cons
-If applied in certain manners, can look cakey and mask-like. A damp blending sponge made all the difference for me

I use the shade Bone (palest available in some stores) mixed with varying levels of Alabaster (palest online) for seasons. It's very rare for me to find one pale enough and Alabaster is way too light. The shades blend well together and the custom shade looks just perfect. They seem to have more deeper shades than many lines too.

The best part is my happy skin. It's nearly impossible for me to find something with no: bismuth oxychloride, algae, sodium chloride, lauroyl lysine, caprylil glycol, oils, etc.

Don't discontinue, Estee!

This stuff is good but not great especially not for the price. It definitely stays on but I noticed that it seems to show my pores way too much and it's drying on my skin. I have combo skin; it looks dry and flaky on my nose and chin. I've tried 5 different primers and it still makes my pores very noticeable.

I think it works better on younger skin. If you're in your mid-30s like me and don't want your pores to be exaggerated try something else especially at this price point.

Love Love Love!!! This is my favourite foundation!
It does exactly what they say it will do, which is "Stay in Place". I apply this early morning, and wear it all day which for me is a minimum 12 hours, and I don't have to touch it up at all.
I should note, my skin is normal/dry, but def not oily. This goes on really easily and it's great to blend, it gives you enough time to get it right before it sets. And when it does set it's not chalky or cement like, its soft and light and feels comfortable on.
I always use a primer before any foundation, and I do with this one too so I'm not sure if it would hold as long without primer (but I reckon it would).
I use to wear the MAC Pro Longwear but that was way too drying and would crack after about 5 hours.
This one is not as dry as the MAC, but it somehow stays matte all day, it literally doesn't move and it is NOT CAKEY - if anyone says this is a cakey product then you're obviously applying something too heavy underneath.
Some people are complaining about the fact that the bottle doesn't have a pump but seriously, who cares!! When the product is this good no pump is the least of my worries.
Its a bit pricey $58 a bottle, but you really do get what you pay for and the price doesn't put me off. I can't fault this at all and I know a few others that use it and love it just as much as me.
Thanks Estee Lauder, finally the perfect foundation has been produced!
HUGE thumbs up!!

on 8/24/2018 3:51:00 AM

I always go back to this foundation. Long lasting and if I want a lighter look I mix with a bit of my daily spf. In the summer I mix it with a touch of bronzer. Very breathable too. You can build it up. Love it. Fantastic selection of colours too.

on 7/26/2018 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

So I finally got around to trying Double Wear. Summers where I live are hot, this summer we have had record breaking heat, and the A/C at work isn't that great. My previous foundation was a disaster half way through the day. I correctly matched myself with the shade 2N1, Desert Beige. Dispenses as a a thin liquid, a bit surprising as back in the day full coverage meant cream or stick formulas. Blends fairly easily, but it helps to have brush or beauty blender. It doesn't set so fast that it can't be blended, a problem I had with Smashbox. Smashbox set to fast I had to work in sections or it could not be blended., This does set without a powder, I choose to use one since said heat has made my skin oily. Back to the coverage part, this is marketed as a full coverage foundation, several other reviews have said this was artificial, or paint like. I did not find that to be true, the coverage is nice there are definitely foundations that offer more coverage and do look heavy or mask like. Double wear looks very natural and I say it's more medium to full than straight full coverage. I did apply a single even layer, rather than try to build this, which may be why. This does have a matte finish, but again, it's not overly matte to where the face will look dull or the color flat. Wear time is excellent, the first Day i applied this at probably 3am because I had an early shift, still looked good at the end of my work day, and into the evening. There was some minor wear after maybe 12-15 hours. Day two again, only some minor wear on the nose, but my nose is super oily even when the rest of my face is dry my nose is just an oil factory. Honestly most foundations wont even stick to my nose, this one did so a thumbs up there. Stay in Place makeup is part of the name, and they aren't joking, Once this sets it's absolutely budge proof, and will not transfer. I deal with seasonal allergies which means I sometimes rub my face or need to blow my nose, which can cause makeup to rub off or smudge. This stays put through that as well. Double wear is a good choice for oily skin, i get dryer in the cool months so time will tell if it works with dry skin. If you are a lady of a certain age, I'd advise getting a sample first as this does somewhat settle into fine lines. I purchased mine at an Estee Lauder counter and there is a pump that come separately for this since the lack of a pump seems to be problematic. Price is about the same as other department stores brands. Nice glass bottle, and the addition of the pump is helpful. 5/5, I would repurchase, long wearing, nice finish, and transfer proof.

on 5/7/2018 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

My HG foundation for over ten years! I have oily, acne-prone skin, so I like a matte, longlasting finish and this does the deed. This is almost full coverage, but you can sheer it out if you want to (add a bit of moisturizer) on 'natural' days or build it up on 'bad skin days'. You only need a small amount, because if you use too much, it will look cakey. If you are more on the dry/normal side it might accentuate dry patches, so moisturise well before using this. The bottle is glass, so not that great for traveling. It doesn't come with a pump (sigh..) but you can buy one separately. The smell is quite neutral and faint, not disturbing or anything at all. Despite the price, which is quite high, I will keep repurchasing because this gives me a nice finish, good coverage and lasts most of the day (with setting powder on top), and I have not find any other (drugstore or luxury) foundation to match this one. I also really appreciate the fact that they have a wide array of shades with different undertones, from very fair to very dark, although my shade is only available online in my country. I am a NW15-20 in Mac (fair with cool undertones) for reference and I use 1n2 Ecru in EL Double Wear (I can make 2n1 Desert Beige also work for me). Note: I prefer the neutral undertone to the more pinkish undertone of the c-shades (c=cool, n=neutral, w=warm).

on 4/15/2018 1:15:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Holy grail foundation - actually looks BETTER as the day wears on and it melts into your face. A few things to know though:
- better suited to combination/oily skin. Dry skin ladies may find it drying on them or they look ashy. If this one is too dry on you, try the double wear light which is still medium coverage but much easier to work with
- buy a MAC pump. Pouring it out is a pain
- mix one drop of serum (especially Estée Lauder Night Repair serum) with it before applying for easiest and most flawless application
- apply to very well moisturized skin, especially after a facial oil but let the facial oil really soak in first. I really notice a difference on how well this applies if I’m wearing facial oil underneath it or not. It definitely is more likely to get patchy or draggy if I am not well moisturized beforehand
- dries quickly so work one area at a time - if you smear it all over your whole face and try to blend it it will lift and drag, so do t-zone/forehead, then cheeks and chin one at a time. Best with a damp beauty blender as brushes create drag too easily.
- DO NOT use in your eye area AT ALL unless you have added serum, face oil or are going lightly. Too drying in the eye area on its own. I avoid my entire lid and undereye - much better to use Lancome effacernes with a light hand for the entire lid area, or the Estée Lauder concealers.
- Set with a little of the Laura Mercier translucent powder using a fluffy brush, or a damp beautyblender. THIS FOUNDATION WILL LIFT IF YOU DISTURB IT so use a light and fluffy hand for powder, blush, bronzer etc.
- buildable, so you can go medium to full coverage but you MUST BUILD IT WHILE IT'S STILL DAMP. Building a new layer over a dry layer tends to create splotchiness/dragging if you're not careful.
- covers most imperfections, but I do spot conceal on bad spots. For minor imperfections I'll just stipple extra foundation onto the spot.

* I remove it with a first swipe of micellar water or EL Take the Day Away and then a full face wash of Cetaphil. No breakouts.
**side note - this does build up in foundation brushes and doesn't wash out well with even dish soap, shampoo, anything - stays caked in the brush, possibly from the sunscreen in it. I found vegetable cooking oil (from your kitchen) will dissolve it if you're having a hard time cleaning your foundation brush. Then shampoo or soap out the oil and you'll have a completely clean and wonderfully soft brush again. Better to use a damp beauty blender
*** If you feel the finish is a bit too cakey, it really helps to use an illuminating setting spray especially Tatcha dewey skin mist, or urban decay chill or Smashbox illuminating setting spray though my preference is the Tatcha for sure. Then I have the full coverage I want with the youthful glow

I wanted to love this. It really does last all day and does not feel heavy on your face. The color range is ok i am about NC 35 and had to go with Tawny. There is a scent to this product and it applies well with either BB or brush. But it is just not workable if you have any dryness. It is almost too matte and sets very quickly so you can't really blend it well. It also imho does not seem to build well on top, it looks very obvious. I even tried mixing in different things to make the texture better (primer/moisturizer/oil) but then the foundation almost separated and would not apply well, like it would lift. I am in Canada and think the ELDW sold here and outside of the US is a different formulation maybe because reading other reviews it seems to be a common issue for people outside the US. It is $48 CDN and does not come with a pump (WTF EL.)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have dry 43 year ols skin.
I cannot use this foundation alone, or it ages me horribly.
However, mixed with my It Cosmetics MoisturiIng foundation has become my holy grail!
Beautiful finish, and lasts like nothing else!
Pretty much transfer proof.
I fell asleep with my makeup on one night, and the next morning my foundation was still intact and looking good.
Amazing foundation that I will repurchase for the rest of time!