Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

3.9

on 10/7/2018 4:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet! My friend got this for me as a 21st birthday present and now I'm 32 and its still my HG.. tragically I still also have oily skin with acne lol. Its the only foundation I've ever found that reliably keeps my skin matte, even in the hot humid Australian summer. It's also got great coverage and doesn't make my acne worse. I've tried various shades for my medium skin, tans easily with slight yellow undertones. Warm creme is my current match :)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

A super-helpful SA at Estee Lauder counter in Selfridges, London - UK told me this is the UK's best-selling foundation and it was precisely at that point I decided I just had to try it for myself! She tried a few different shades on me and in the end settled on giving me a sample of this in 3W1.5 (Fawn). I applied it eagerly the next morning in place of my CC cream. Well...it stayed put throughout the day. By the time I got back in that evening it was 9pm and other than a touch of shine on my t-zone (nothing that a few blotting papers couldn't sort out) I was happy to see the foundation hadn't settled into my pores or accentuated any fine lines.

The coverage is buildable and somewhere in the 'medium' category. It didn't transfer onto any of the many clothes I tried on whilst out shopping and if it had an SPF higher than 10 this would be amongst one of my favorite foundations. I did find the tone slightly light for my skin tone with a noticeable beige undertone, however it wasn't too far off and if given more time I'm sure the SA would have been able to find a precise match for me.

To put it to the test I kept what was left in my sample tube and tried it for a day in the real deal (Miami in mid-summer). Again it did not budge or transfer. The shine did increase - and not just nose, but the rest of my face too. But to be fair it wasn't a huge issue and I've yet to find a foundation that isn't gong to do that when the heat and humidity is turned up to full blast.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(As I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, I thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective. I love constantly trying out new stuff - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 5/24/2018 11:36:00 AM

The best stay in place make up ever! I have been used this product over 4 years now. It stays on my face over the day. My best ever!

This is a cult foundation for a reason, that being its staying power. It adheres to the skin like paint, and stays there until you take it off. I find it could be described as specifically formulated for oily skinned ladies and gents, as it doesn't need setting powder (unless you have exceptionally oily skin i presume), doesn't break down on critical oily areas throughout the day (nostrils, in between the brows, nose, inner cheeks), doesn't oxidize or change color. I absolutely adore it and yes, if i had to wear a single foundation for the rest of my life, this would be it.
This is my "husband" foundation. The rest are all occasional, short-termed, exciting but quick-fizzling, cool-but-enough-now "affairs".

Pros:
- one of the few foundations that actually does what it claims to do;
- great coverage without looking dry, cakey or streaky;
- beautiful smooth finish, like glass/paint;
- very long lasting;
- unbreakable, doesn't dissolve on oily areas or under the eyes. This particularity is almost impossible to find in other foundations, in my opinion, and if met, it comes with significant disadvantages (extreme thickness, dryness, for example the Kat Von D/ LA Girl foundations);
- contrary to other reviews, i personally don't find it drying under the eyes at all. Eye cream is a general must for the skin regardless of one wearing makeup or not;
- extensive shade rage, for pretty much everyone;
- very buildable if applied fast;
- a little goes a long way, a bottle will last for months with daily use;
- replaces concealer successfully;
- good skin tolerance (didn't break me out);
- wonderful natural look for its consistency and coverage. Pretty much 5% heavier on the skin than liquid foundations.

Cons:
- expensive (but good things cost money);
- the significant shade range makes it difficult to choose one's right tone, particularly in store lights;
- the glass bottle albeit beautiful is not user-friendly and needs a pump;
- needs attentive removal, hard to scrub off.

I will continue to repurchase this foundation and not the light version as i don't want to stray. The company could offer a more extensive guideline for choosing the right shade and add a pump and they'd be market leaders.

on 5/3/2018 7:49:00 PM

This is my holy grail foundation.

It looks great after initial application. But what made it my go to is that as it wears during the day, it gets a little more dewey looking on my combo (leaning towards oily) skin. But dewey in a good, “I’m naturally glowing” way. It really wears off beautifully (all foundations wear off as the day goes on, it’s just HOW they wear off on your skin that’s important!). Personally, I’ve never had any issues with it gathering or wiping off the way other foundations have.

The only thing people have to be careful with is that this can look cakey if you apply too much OR if your skin isn’t properly hydrated beforehand. However, that’s a problem that can be worked around once you find out the best way to prep your skin and apply.

Personally, I feel like people with oily skin types and those looks for medium leaning towards high coverage (with spot concealing on problematic areas b/c zit redness/discoloration still peeks through on me) would really enjoy this foundation.Those with dry skin or those that want a lot of coverage after initial application may not be too into it as it would probably look cakey by the end of the day.

on 4/27/2018 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Definitely my HG foundation. Double Ware does not budge on my combination skin for at least 12 hours easily and looks honestly much better on my face at the end of the day than most other foundations look in 4-5 hours.
I prefer applying it with a damp beauty sponge on a well moisturized and primed skin. I noticed that I need much smaller amount of product than when working with most other foundations I've tried. With just one very thin layer and a damp sponge I can easily get high-medium or light-high coverage which I really enjoy even for an everyday look. It looks quite natural, I have never experienced cakyness with Double Ware (I think applying it in very thin layers and not more than 1-2 layers helps in that regard). I normally set it very lightly with a bit of a setting powder and I usually don't need any touch-ups during the entire day (not even on my T-zone).
I truly love it and don't even know why I have another 5 different foundations at the moment when all I want to use is Double Wear :)

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

To see my in-depth review visit my video here:

I'll first start off this review by saying I haven't tried many high-end foundations. I've tried some many years ago, like Clinique, but they never seemed to work well for me. Although, that was many years ago when my skin was much worse. I should start trying more foundations now that my skin has cleared up, evened out & gotten much easier to work with. However, Estee Lauder's Double Wear foundation is making that VERY HARD.

In fact, the only thing negative I have to say about this foundation is that it doesn't come with a pump. I could complain about the price but it's obviously not that bad if I've repurchased it. It's just a remarkable foundation. It's so perfect that you're afraid to move onto something else. Not only that but the packaging is beautiful. I love the elegant look of gold & frosted glass.

This foundation works for any skin type, skin color & occasion. I have combination skin & have used it under both conditions. There's so many shades that I can probably choose 3 or 4. I've used Toasty Toffee for a brighter complexion & Spiced Sand for a more tan complexion. You can use a little for going out to the store or build it up for when you're taking HD photos. It's incredibly easy to apply that you can just use your fingers for a flawless look. However, a beauty blender is a dream! It's creamy, smooth & sets to a slight matte finish. It doesn't transfer. It lasts all day. In fact, it looks better as the day progresses.

One time I went to a carnival/fair in 90 degree heat and I was even sweating. Yet, I came back home and still saw a nice foundation look. That day made me fall even more in love with this foundation. More times than not, the foundation looks nicer the longer you wear it.

Hands down this a great foundation & I'm pretty sure it's one of the best.

To see my in-depth review visit my video here:

on 3/17/2018 10:17:00 PM

I always reach for this foundation when my skin needs coverage. This is not the type of foundation that looks like your skin. It's full coverage and will emphasize fine-lines. But it's very long lasting, when I wear it I knew by the end of the day, I'll look the same as I first apply it. I don't recommend wear it everyday, because it has the tendency to break out. Make sure you use a oil based cleanser to remove this foundation.

on 2/26/2018 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

HG foundation, hands down. No matter what I try, I come running back to this. I had a bit of a time finding my perfect match. I'm NC15 in MAC, and I am neutral leaning a tad yellow. I tried 1N2, and that shade was thisclose to being perfect. Then, I tried 1W1 and ta da! Perfection! That said, I am pale, but I'm definitely not the palest in the world. So, I'm not sure how super pale girls will fare in this line (although they recently released some additional shades in other undertones, so perhaps they will introduce a very, very fair warm-leaning shade soon?). The finish isn't so matte that it makes your face look like dried cake frosting, but it isn't dewy, either. It's like the perfect balance. And this stuff just STICKS to your face like glue, but I haven't had any issues with breakouts on my acne-prone face. I can do a 30-minute full on cardio workout wearing this foundation, and it doesn't budge. The coverage is solid medium and buildable to full, but I can't imagine anyone needing much more than medium coverage in this line. My acne scars will attest to that for you! Finally, I have true combo skin, thanks to my rx retin-a. But I don't find this clings too terribly to my dry patches, as long as I sufficiently exfoliate with my Clarisonic.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have been wearing this foundation everyday for about 6 months (minus some weekends) and I don't need any other. I have yet to find another full coverage foundation that doesn't look masky/heavy. This just works. No matter if I use a brush or beautyblender lighter coverage.

Price: $42. So yeah. It's not as expensive as some "luxury brands" but still on the high end. But I think they're worth it honestly.

Coverage: It's Med to Full Coverage depending on what you're trying to cover and what technique you're using. I've got some hyperpigmentation which is fading and it does a good job of covering but if it doesn't that's what concealer is for.

Shades: Has a pretty impressive shade range. Color matching is where you might run into some difficulty. I've been matched horribly by a sales associate with Rich Ginger. Uh...I looked like Casper.
Their machine matched me with Amber Honey 5N2 one of their neutral shades. It still has a slight reddish undertone (I'm yellow) but it was the closest I was going to get to this highly coveted foundation and it was doable.
I mixed my Mufe custom drops in yellow to make it less red. Now just recently Estee Lauder released some in between shades and I am happy to report that Cinnamon 5w1.5 is dang near perfect. I mix it with my Amber honey. Hello Perfection. I don't know how to swing the cost of both but ya girl will figure something out.

Wear Time: Surprisingly as advertised although most times I do wear a setting spray and tend to powder my tzone ALWAYS when I'm going out. So that does effect wear for us oily girls. I tend to get a bit drier in winter but haven't had any issues. Also doesn't transfer.

Texture: Seems kind of runny when you pour it or use your finger to place over the top and dispense it that way like they recommend. A little goes along way. I usually stipple mine on for more coverage. You can buy a separate pump for the jar if that bothers you. Personally I worry how pumping air into it will effect the product.

So major pros are that it does what it claims. I have yet to experience any foundation that gives me this kind of coverage without feeling heavy or looking masky. It's buildable. They are slowly but surely increasing the in between shades.
Cons would be price if you're on a budget. I can't think of any dupes. This is NOT the same as Smashbox studio Fix. I don't know why people keep saying that. That foundation was horrible for me.
If you fall into the very fair to the in between brown and dark shades you might have some trouble finding ONE shade that works.
I would recommend getting a sample. Wear it outside. Try the machine and matching yourself. Purchase from a department store with a friendly return policy.