Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

12/2012 REFORMULATION

on 3/14/2017 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

If you are going to have a long day and you want your make-up to last all day, this is the go to foundation. I have very oily skin and this foundation is great for my skin type. Shade matching can be challenging but once you found the right one you won't be disappointed. I am MAC C3 or C3.5 (Summer) and my shade is 2W1 Dawn. Only downside is no pump, so it can get messy but like some others have matched MAC has a pump that fits this ELDW bottle.

on 3/7/2017 9:21:00 AM

I have combination skin that is prone to breakouts. I bought this foundation based on all the great reviews. Unfortunately, it didn't go on evenly and believe me, I tried it on clean skin, on moisturiser and on primer. It was impossible to blend and the end result looked cakey and uneven. It just didn't work for me, IDK why :( Plus, after having tried it for a couple of days it seemed to dry out my skin.
I will stick to Lancome TIU and Clinique BB cream.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I seriously think something might be wrong (or just different?) with my skin since I can't seem to get this foundation to work for me.

I keep giving this foundation a chance every few years due to all the rave reviews I keep reading! I keep hoping that maybe my skin has changed and that this foundation will one day look good on me. But sadly, Double Wear is honestly one of the worst foundations I've ever used.

This isn't the first highly-rated foundation that looks terrible on me (Revlon Colorstay liquid: I'm looking at you!), so I'm beginning to think it must be an ingredient(s) that my skin just can't handle.

The pros:
- Covers my red acne marks to a certain degree

The cons:
- Feels and looks like paint, no matter how I apply it
- It sits on top of my skin
- Makes my skin look dull/dead
- While it does cover acne, it still requires more layers (for me) than my other HG foundations
- Can't find a good shade match (2N1 and 2W1 are the closest)
- The glass bottle does not have a pump, so you have to be careful not to pour the foundation too quickly

I'm a little jealous that this seems to work for so many others! ;) I'm going to keep researching what ingredients are in this foundation that my skin doesn't like, so that I can be aware and avoid it in the future.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love that it covers beautifully and stays put all day, I also love the yellow undertone. However, I do find that it's a bit too obvious on the face, it leaves a bit of a powdery finish. So I mix this with a liquid highlighter and apply it with a damp beauty blender. This way the result is more natural but still allows for a high coverage.

I would advice to thoroughly cleanse the skin after wearing this foundation. After my initial purchase and after wearing this foundation undiluted and without primer for a few days I noticed some skin irritation. With a primer underneath this doesn't seem to happen.

Great foundation, will repurchase for long days when a perfect make-up look is required.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Very expensive (to me) but is very reliable, great color selection, and looks and lasts great. You can use a MAC foundation pump if you want a pump (thanks to someone @ Sephora for letting me know!)

It doesn't make me dry or oily, which is great as I have combo skin. By the end of the day I do have to blot, but it's nothing excessive. You don't need a lot, I only use one pump for most days (medium-high coverage to me). I love to dot it all over my face and then blend it in with a beauty blender for a skin like finish. It has a very slight paint smell to it which goes away when it dries down.

I really do enjoy & recommend this foundation.

Probably the best foundation ever tried especially for oily/combo skin type.

During winter months though I would suggest increasing the moisturizer under it, especially if you work or are somewhere with a bit of an aggressive air conditioning.

It provides a very good coverage, so take it easy on the application, as the over-application can cause dryness.

The T-zone may only have signs of shine by the end of the day and even then, it depends on your surroundings (dry air, AC, outdoors, etc).

It is a bit pricey, but I have not stumbled upon any other foundation that would make me change my mind.

For dry skins, this could eventually increase the dryness, as I noticed that if it is applied closer to the under the eyes zone, it has the tendency to bring out the fine lines.

on 2/10/2017 4:28:00 PM

I used this foundation for about a year and I really wanted to like it. It covers very well but I'm pretty sure it made me break out. Taking it off at night is also a chore. I have to wash my face 3 times to get all of it off... that cant be a good sign. I probably will not purchase again.

on 1/24/2017 9:24:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Ah double wear foundation! I dont want to but I love you so much!!
On those days (most days) when i wake up and look in the mirror , thinking about all the stuff I gotta do and not wanting to face it all looking washed up & crappy I turn to you...and i KNOW whatever else goes on during the day my makeups not gonna let me down and its basically one less worry! So if anyones reading this wondering if its worth the price/hype , my humble opinion is, it is!

Have been buying for 3/4 years now and its quality foundation.
Bought 'shell' shade first, was too pink.
'Honey bronze' very nice, veeeery tan...(ma skin is quite fair skin!! Who cares :) i like being tan)
'Tawny' very nice, too pale (i prefer yellow undertones, think it counteracts any redness & looks nicer on my skin) good for winter
'Cashew' shade am using right now. Love it. Nice and yellow and tanned looking. But there are tons of shades to choose from. Get testers first :)

Apply with brush. Apply serum , sunblock under and rimmel powder to set.
Drink the coffee, slap on the makeup and its all that bit brighter!

on 1/19/2017 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is a really good foundation for long wear. It really does stay in place! The shade selection is also great. My biggest complaint is the bottle. I hope someday they include a pump. It makes it hard to get all of the product, or too much can come out at once. That aside, it wears beautifully on the skin and is very versatile to use.

on 1/13/2017 1:43:00 PM

Not good for dry skin! When I apply my Mac Prolong concealer and the MAC Prep and prime highlighter on, it removed a layer of foundation! It was so frustrating. So, I decided to add extra moisturizer on my face and face primer and it still removed a layer of foundation. I had to remove all the foundation and redo it with my Born This Way foundation and it worked. So, it was definitely this foundation that was causing it. I really do believe that this foundation is very good for oily skin.