Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Filtered by age: 25-29
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

First of all it oxidized on my skin within one hour after application.At the end of the day my skin look ashy.I have dry skin and this does not do any favor at all!Plus its way too expensive.
But if it works for your skin,good for you because this is the only foundation that did not break me out.

on 9/26/2017 11:29:00 PM

I'll start with the pros of this foundation:

-Photographs well
-Stays in Place (the claim is not lying- I wore it for 8 hours straight and it did not budge)
-Blends well
-Does not cause breakouts
-Excellent full coverage that doesn't look cakey

Cons:
-Oxidises
-Difficult to find a match despite all the shades
-Made my normal skin feel tight/elastic/stiff sort of like it has a rubber agent or something in it
-My skin felt 'heavy' when I had it on (heavier than Revlon Colorstay Whipped foundation)
-Difficult to remove. I really had to scrub my skin to get this off, and even after I showered and exfoliated, there were still some traces of makeup on my face

Review:
I do like this foundation and I think it is a good quality product that does what it says, and I will save it for when I am going out and don't want my makeup to melt off my face. Other than that, I just feel as if the cons outweigh this foundation for me over the pros. I have Olive/Tan skin with mostly neutral undertones. I was matched with Shell Beige- on application, this foundation easily looked 2 shades too light for my skin. Even when blended in, it still looked a little too light. However, I waited a couple of hours and the formula oxidized, and then it *mostly* matched my skin. It photographs beautifully in natural daylight, however I noticed once it became evening and into night, again, the foundation actually looked too light for my skin- with and without flash. Not entirely unexpected considering it wasn't a perfect match even with oxidization. However, if you have found a perfect match with this foundation, I feel as if it would photograph beautifully in any light. I have tried to try other shades, but the shades up from Shell Beige are too pink for my skin. I really wish companies would manufacture more darker shades for neutral undertones, but overall I think EL have done a good job of making so many shades available for different skin colors and tones as lots of people seem to have found their match with this foundation. The other thing is that this foundation felt heavy on my face- and my skin felt very stiff/tight when I had it on. I can overlook that though, due to the fantastic non-transfer qualities and coverage this makeup has.

If they introduce more shades I'd definitely give it another go, but for now I wont be repurchasing.

on 9/19/2017 1:12:00 PM

I was first introduced to this foundation a few years back when I walked into Sephora and told them my oily skin needed something bullet proof. I have been using this foundation on and off ever since. The reason I am not loyal to this foundation are the few, but major, flaws in this formula.

First, no matter what I do, applying less, applying it with a different brush, applying with a primer, applying without (the list goes on), it always looks shiny! I find that it never fully dries down... what the eff? I hate this finish because i always look like a wax figure. I do apply powder to set (which i have also changed to accommodate to the fact that this does nothing to control my oil) and just to echo what everyone else is saying, the lack of a pump is really some BS, especially when paying $50 for a foundation. This foundation is also not easy to work with if you need to apply another layer and easily cakes up. For something that does not control oil, this still somehow manages to make me dry in areas and accentuate dry patches. And if i accidentally use too much and apply some under my eyes, man do they look worse for wear.

With all the negatives out of the way, its time to address the reasons why i do re-purchase. The main reason that I run back to this foundation is for the fact that it truly is "stay-in-place" makeup. When applied, no matter how much i blot, and I blot almost every hour, it is still left on my skin at the end of the day. My perfect colour match is ivory nude, but when matched by a rep. they gave me bone and sweet jesus i looked like a sweet potato at the end of the day, so be careful when matching. At the end of the day, if i could give it an HG status based on the sole reason that it doesn't budge, then i would. But with all other foundations on the market, the search continues for something better.

on 9/8/2017 4:16:00 PM

I've been wearing this for a few years, tried things in between but always come back to this. I need something matte and long wearing that doesn't break me out or clog my pores. I have oily, large pores, acne prone skin btw & I can't use anything with SD alcohol aka alcohol denat. because of my sensitive skin.
Tarte - Breaks me out
MUFE mat velvet + - Cause overload of oil production
Nars luminous - I was luminous alright
Nars TM- greasy mess
Laura Mercier TM - See above

... anyways you get the idea, nothing works for me. I continue the hunt for something less heavy duty that can control my oil or at least not leave me looking messy, until then I wear ELDW on the daily. Winter I am 2N1 Desert Beige and sometimes Sand, then in summer I am the shade Tawny.

I apply it with a brush and paint it on then smooth it out with my fingers or a sponge.

on 7/30/2017 4:28:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I used to wear double wear years ago before they changed my colour (shell beige) and the formula. I decided to try it out again, I got a sample in the colour Buff.
I used a blending brush to apply, easy to blend apart from on my nose, which I always find difficult, I think due to oily skin. Colour began to oxidise which meant it ended up being to dark. Should also mention, which is my fault, I decided to go with that colour because I thought it would go with my tan best, and as I don't put tan on my face felt there was no point colour matching my face as I am very pale. It felt like I had ALOT of make up on, and I usually like a medium- full coverage but this felt to much.
I also noticed dots appearing on my nose, which is usually because of the oil coming through.
I was gutted this foundation didn't work out for me as I know how much I loved it before. I know lots of people who love this foundation so I wouldn't want to put someone off trying it as I'm sure it would be perfect for someone else!

on 7/28/2017 2:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My all time HG! Still haven't found anything that works or wears better that this stuff. I recently gave the new version - Double wear nude water fresh one a try. Don't be fooled, it does not wear anything at all like the original. And it's definitely not for us oily skinned girls. So back to the original I go. The packaging of course could be a bit better if they added a pump, but I got myself one from mac that fits like a glove.

on 7/17/2017 5:38:00 AM

I've hated this product since the day that I bought it. Since the sales lady just applied the foundation on top of my make up, I saw that the appearance of it on my skin isn't very... great. But I let it go coz I knew that I have a make up on and thought it just didn't blend well with whatever I had on my face. So I bought it and went home and removed all my make up. I hated this product, I've used different primers, from Benefit, smashbox, becca and Makeup forever but none of it helped. So I thought it's because of my sunscreen, so I also tried different types of sunscreen, to the sticky type, to watery and gel type, still, it looked bad on my nose area. Like the product didn't want to stick to it and there's this separation and tiny bumps. I've also tried different moisturizers, after awhile, I gave up. The product looks great IF I don't put anything on my face but the foundation, and that is a big NO for me. So this month, I ran out of my Kiehl's serum so I've decided to buy the Advance Night Repair Serum since they have a promo. I applied the serum and my usual skincare and make up routine then used the Double Wear foundation, and GOODNESS! It looks great! I can't use this product without the ANR serum. So far it's really good and I like how it looks on my skin.

This make-up is frustrating. It has a gorgeous finish, it can be sheered to nothing, beautiful coverage, great colours, looong lasting and wears off beautifully. But it's SO congesting. The best part is that it's perfect for oily/acne skin, but I feel that the reason it works so well is what seems to cause the problems. Bad, bad congestion and breakouts, hard to clean out of the pores. I'm not saying don't use, but don't use it regularly and steam your damn face afterwards!!

on 7/12/2017 12:39:00 PM

I've probably tried every high-end foundation on the market, and poured hundreds of dollars down the drain, only to keep coming back to this baby. This is truly my HG, and every time I cheat on it to try the latest and greatest thing, I learn my lesson and come crawling back. It's the only foundation that offers me full coverage without a sticky finish (looking at you, Kat Von D Lock-it foundation), keeps my oily nose in control, doesn't oxidize pink or orange on me, and most importantly, LASTS all day. I have a busy job and work long hours, often with no time to look in the mirror and touch things up. There's nothing worse than trying out a new foundation that is melting off my skin 3 hours in, without being able to fix it. This foundation, however, is a true workhorse for me and never lets me down. It's the only one I can truly rely on, and trust me, I've tried them all. And, out of all of the foundations I've ever tried (high-end and drug store) this is the only one that I've ever purchased more than once.

My only complaint about this foundation is the lack of a pump. To me, there's no reason why it's 2017 and they still haven't added a pump to this. However, I've found that the pump from my discarded smashbox studio skin (another fail) fits it perfectly.

on 6/4/2017 4:55:00 AM

I think this is the closest I've come to my "holy grail" foundation. To deal with issues with pigmentation/acne scarring/redness, I have tried multiple foundations ranging from dewy to matte, medium to full coverage and this is probably my favourite foundation I've come across. I had always overlooked Estee Lauder in the past and gone for more youthful/stylish high end brands but I'm so glad I tried this one.

For me, I love the durability as I work 12 hour shifts as a nurse and the last thing I want to worry about is that my makeup is slipping off my face or transferring throughout the day. I often get people commenting on how 'fresh' I look even after a night shift which I have Double Wear to thank for! Honestly, it doesn't budge.

I agree that it can get cakey (can't all full coverage, long wear foundations?) but I have combination/dry skin and have found the most effective way to combat this is to apply with a damp beauty blender. I only set with the Double Wear powder if I really need a full finish. As I typically prefer a more "glow-ey" look (but wanted the benefit of a full coverage and long wearing foundation which I just couldn't find with a dewy product), I use an illuminating primer (Mecca 'Lit From Within' Primer for any Australians!) and finished with the Cover FX Illuminating Setting Spray.

As everybody else has mentioned, the packaging is less than ideal and would benefit from a pump but that's my only complaint! I also think that by Australian standards, the pricing is extremely reasonable- I've spent $100 on foundations I've liked far less.