Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

4.1

12/2012 REFORMULATION

on 1/23/2017 7:19:00 AM

After hearing mixed reviews about this foundation, some rave that it covers everything and lasts all day, and others saying it is thick, drying and "feels like cement", I finally decided to give it a shot on two occasions (so far). One on a particularly bad skin day, with a big pimple to hide, and second on a night out. I have oily skin.

First off, the packaging is crap. you have to pour it out into your hands - which is messy, and you have very little control over how much you get out. Probably because it is too thick to draw up through a pump, but a squeezy tube like the DW light could work.

Application felt horrible. It actually did feel a little like applying cement, it was thick and sticky and very difficult to blend. Perhaps a paint roller would have sufficed?

Having got the negatives out of the way, it did cover well and where I did manage to blend it the finish looked flawless. The shade was a good match too, and it did stay put all day without any shininess coming through. However it did start to come away in some areas, like it was drying up and peeling away.

Glad I tried it, but will save for bad skin days or special occasions. Would probably not repurchase.

on 1/11/2017 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

SO glad I finally bit the bullet and gave this foundation a go! I've been a die hard Mac user for around ten years and was nervous to stray from it, however after constantly hearing about how amazing this foundation is, I decided to take the plunge.

I suffered from acne when I was younger, and am now left with hyper-pigmentation marks which are the bane of my life! This is such amazing coverage that I barely needed concealer! I now finally have the confidence to go out without feeling paranoid about my scars.

I am still super nervous about developing spots so was worried this could cause me to break out, however two weeks in and I've seen no difference to my skin. Win!

It really does stay on all day as well, I work in an air-conditioned office so usually touch my foundation up at lunch time but with this I don't have to do a thing!

For colour reference, I use NC25 in Mac studio fix and C3 in Mac face and body and use shade 'Dawn' in EL Double Wear.

Forget Mac, I am now fully converted to this. It is around £10 more than Mac studio fix but because you end up using far less, it's actually around the same!

on 1/11/2017 4:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I've used double wear for a while now and at first I LOVED it for it's amazing long-lasting coverage. However, it soon started sitting in my fine lines and seemed to dry before I could blend it properly with a brush. I definitely recommend a damp beauty blender to apply it and because it's so dry, I wouldn't use it without moisturiser and the right primer. I found velvety finish primers like Benefit POREfessional didn't work well with it, but that might just be my skin. I use the lightest warm tone - 1W1 Bone and it's a good match. The packaging is horrid, but I have repurchased and probably will again. Prefer not to use it for everyday foundation but it's perfect for a full glam look.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Love this foundation!! It is great for oily skin and even though I have acne prone skin, it has never broken me out. I have used it since 2014. It starts to look kinda worn off or melted in like 8-9 hours, but it's not bad in terms of staying power

It is a thicker consistency and should be used with a brush or sponge, as the fingers would look less natural

I love this foundation, BUT not for every day use. It provides great coverage and easy to build up. It has a wide range of shades and my two favourites are 2N1 Desert Beige and 1N2 Ecru. I love it as I know my makeup will last all night and not run down my face, however, after a few hours my skin starts to feel a bit dry and almost painful. Overall, I will keep re-purchasing it, because I trust it on a good night-out like no other foundation, but I always need other foundations to keep in my makeup collection for every day use, because nobody wants to feel uncomfortable on the daily. :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I wanted so badly to love this. But it has a few issues. First, application is a nightmare. I like full coverage foundation you can keep building, taking your time, without it becoming splotchy and streaky because it sets far too quickly. Weirdly, it's also not the fullest coverage foundation I've used. As in, Maybelline Better Skin covers my hyperpigmentation FAR better without feeling as heavy. The shade range, while extensive, is literally variations of pink undertone (yes I include orange under pink because it's more closely related than, say, a true yellow and a true pink). Nothing is olive yellow, then again, in most lines, this is still true, but don't bust your butt trying to find something that matches an olive yellow undertone. I also have seriously clog-prone skin, and I've noticed almost all liquid foundation under EL, Mac, and Smashbox (who are owned by the same company) clog my pores over time and the DW is no exception. Otherwise, the finish is lovely, it lasts a long while on well prepped skin, and I can pull it off in most artificial lighting. Just don't take me under the sun or I'll be an oompa loompa.

on 1/3/2017 12:59:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

My number 1 foundation, for the following reasons:

1) FULL COVERAGE! I have rosacea and just generally bad-looking skin, and this is the only foundation I have ever used which covers it all and evens it out. Also, even though it is full coverage, it feels lightweight on the skin and is like I am not even wearing makeup.

2) It stays in place all day, and looks exactly the same at the end of a 12 hour day.

3) It's compatible with my dry skin. All other full-coverage foundations I have used look horrifically cakey and unnatural on my skin. Estee Lauder DW is a miracle, in that it sits beautifully on my skin and doesn't exacerbate my dry patches.

4) The palest shade is pale enough for my ghost-like skin. (Some might say too pale, but nothing blush and bronzer won't sort out).

Nothing is perfect, I suppose, so negatives about this product include:

1) No pump, so you do tend to waste a lot of product. This problem can be easily solved, however, by buying the MAC pump which is compatible with it. No more waste!

2) £££
However, even though it is expensive, I would say it is worth paying the price for. You are getting a high quality product which is going to last a long time, as the formula is thick and you only need to use a little bit to cover the face.

I will never stop using this product!

on 12/28/2016 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This was my first high end foundation I have purchased, and I am pretty happy with it. I cannot wear it everyday, or else my skin gets too clogged because it can be quite heavy on the skin. It is a high medium coverage that is buildable, but be careful because it can look cakey. I have pretty oily skin and this holds up and keeps me matte the longest without a mattifying primer (about 4 hours before I need to blot). The scent reminds me of paint, and you need to work fast with this foundation because it dries pretty quickly. I really do enjoy this foundation!

on 12/25/2016 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I had this one, i really wanted to love it, but no. Firstly, the bottle is such a mess. 60 euro foundation needs a pump. The foundation itself has extremely powdery consistency, it makes smears while blending. After a few hours it highlights my pores and other imperfections so bad and it also melts like crazy. Oxidize in 2 hours or less. This is just no.

on 12/20/2016 8:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

After so long since i last shopped for foundation I finally got my hands on this! Didnt regret purchasing this one. I must say this beats my MAC prolongwear foundation. The E.L's promoter matched my shade using this particular detector and test it out with another shade to compare, and the shade detected was the one that matches me perfectly!
I applied it using my beauty blender and it's FLAWLESS. Don't really need much touch ups during the day except for my nose and forehead which is something i can't help. But last me throughout the day despite how busy I am with long working hours. Found my new favourite already that suits my skin perfectly. Got to try applying it with a brush someday and see how it looks like! The only thing that i do not like is the packaging; the product is kinda runny so it makes it a little messy when you wanna pour it.