Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

4.1

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Buy.it.
Forget all the "matte", "24h lasting" drugstore AND highend foundations and get this little piece of heaven instead. it feels amazing on the skin from the first application. It leaves the perfect amount of coverage (HIGH) without clogging the pores or create a thick layer of product. It complements the skin beautifully and IT LASTS. I tested out on a full day out and my skin never looked better. I checked my makeup expecting to find the usual oily mess..not a chance!! It may need a touch up after 8/9 hours but nothing before that. Even my boyfriend noticed it and complemented it. That's how i know it not only feels great but it also looks great.
It's the REAL deal!

on 9/14/2017 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I really love this foundation and it is the closest thing to perfect that I can find, which is why I see myself sticking to it for a long time to come. My skin is acne-prone and also very oily, and my skin tone is fair with neutral undertones. What's trickiest about this product to me is the application, bc if you apply it the wrong way you will end up with a very heavy, cakey mess. Because there's no pump rather than pouring it onto the back of my hand/a palette and risk wasting product, I simply put my index finger over the opening, covering it completely, and then give the bottle a couple shakes. There will be enough product on my fingertip that I can cover about half my face- BUT because this foundation sets so incredibly fast you cannot dab it all over your face and blend each section, so I usually wipe some of the foundation from my finger back into the bottle and then do one section of my face at a time. I've found for me it works best when applied with my hands as I prefer to warm the product up and get it to really sink into my skin. I've also found the best application technique is to really rub it into my skin (almost like a moisturizer), bc it often becomes patchy, heavy, and can cake up if I use patting/stippling motions. You also cannot use too much at once, or else it ends up looking very heavy/cakey and mask-like and the longevity and overall look of it greatly decreases.

PROS-
Shade- the best match I've found for my skin, so much so that I can often use it just to spot conceal on days where I want less coverage. I use 1N1.

Coverage- a high medium to full coverage. I find it covers my redness and acne/scarring quite well, but a little bit of redness does peek through. It does build very nicely though so I usually go in where I need more coverage w a second layer (you *have* to work in layers w this foundation bc as mentioned above if you go in w too much all in one go it will totally ruin it).

Finish- definitely a matte foundation, although I find it isn't too much of a flat matte. If I don't set it, after about 15-30 minutes it becomes more of a soft matte.

Longevity- this is both a pro and a con for me. This foundation has the longest wear time that I have found on my very oily skin, about 8-10 hours of it looking quite good and me blotting once or twice. If I'm only wearing it for a few hours I've begun to not set my face w powder afterwards which is something unheard of w my skin, and after a couple hours the finish turns satin-dewy.

CONS-
Formula- for me personally, I find the liquid to be so thick and set so fast that it can be difficult to work with as it's more time consuming and feels heavier on the skin. However I imagine this is the price one pays for a foundation with such good coverage and wear time.

Price- $46CAD is a lot for a foundation, however because you need so little to get the medium coverage I most often go for my one bottle has lasted me over a year now (with me using this the majority of the time I wear makeup), so the price is worth it for me in the end.

Longevity- as a con, my ideal foundation would last for about 12 hours, which this foundation simply cannot do on my oily skin. It just gets way too oily, begins to separate, and also pool into my pores so it looks like I have freckles of foundation. Blotting with a little puff (and sometimes the puff w translucent powder) does help this however.

OVERALL-
I had been on the hunt for a foundation that matched me well, did not break me out, and lasted a long time with my very oily skin for so damn long that for now ELDW is close enough. I don't want to award it HG just yet bc I really would prefer if it lasted longer on my skin, but truly I do absolutely love this foundation and it is my favourite (overall rating on MUA is a 5/5 lippies from me!). After becoming familiar w the formula it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Hopefully one day I will find a primer or even a different foundation that will add up to my HG, but for now I am pleased with ELDW and very much recommend it to anyone w oily skin (altho my bff has very dry skin and it's her HG!)

I think it's a great product for really oily skin. My combination skin worked really well with this in the first month but after some treatments my skin got back to normal. The foundation felt wet and sticky on my face the whole day and after 2 hours it looked cakey. It doesn't work with anything. I tried all kinds of moisturizers and primers. It's a shame because I really wanted this to work for me.

The formula for this foundation is my all time favorite. I have oily/acne-prone/sensitive skin and I wore this for a long hole day and it made my skin look incredible. I love the coverage and how flawless it makes my skin look. However, I am not a fan of the packaging and wish it already came with a pump. I am also not a fan of the palette ice but since it is my favorite foundation it is worth it to me.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I heard about the hype. Yet it didn't interest me because I thought I'd have my HG foundation with Maybelline Superstay foundation, but Estee Lauder is a game changer for me now. First time I wore this I went swimming on a summer day, everything stayed in place. I took some blotting paper to get rid of the sweat and the foundation still looked untouched. I was very satisfied when I took off my makeup because I didn't need to worry if it melted or cracked. Of course it can't stay on for 15+ hours looking perfect all the time. But when I reach 10 hours it looks like I've worn an average foundation for just a couple of hours. Today I used it again and it's no different than the other day. I'll keep this expensive as a HG for hot, long times (summer, beach, party, clubbing, etc.) and will always be excited to apply it. Pro: - good shade range (Ecru fits good, I'm NW20) - medium, buildable coverage (this ain't full coverage with one layer for me) - matte, natural finish (I still use powder because I always want to be sure everything is set) - stays, no matter how much you sweat Neutral: - price (you don't need to buy it if it's too much $ for you) Con: - packaging (no pump, glass material) Maybelline Superstay is too dry for my skin, I guess. Yet I have combo skin (oily T-zone, normal/dry cheeks and undereyes). SS can look cakey on me if I'm not careful while applying, it's not as transfer proof as EL and the shade range is meh. So, welcome new (and forever) HG to the family.

on 8/18/2017 2:21:00 PM

I don't usually write reviews but this is a game changer, and I can't believe it took me this long to try it. I am used to having to habitually check my makeup every couple of hours to make sure it hasn't caked up, or turned oily etc - but this. I can go a straight 4 or 5 hours before I need to blot (I still use a primer for best oil control results), and even then the foundation is still fully intact and firmly stuck to my face. I have worn it for 8 hours before and only had to blot once, and that's an absolute dream for me as someone with an oily t-zone.

1) Application can be a bit tricky. A little goes a LONG way with this - if you slap on tons like a regular foundation it will look SUPER cakey. It also dries rather quickly so for best results do one section of the face at a time, blending it completely before moving on to the next. Bearing in mind that I dont use beauty blenders, the best method I've found is to pour a little on the back of my hand, lightly dip my Real Techniques buffing brush into it to pick up a small amount, and then blend it onto a section of my face. Repeat until entire face is covered and build up as needed. Using this method I get a really good medium coverage that looks really natural on the skin, and feels light and comfortable. I find that when I try to dot it on my face then blend it out like other foundations I tend to end up applying too much. Really I don't think it is as heavy-looking (or feeling) as some people claim it is if you take the time to sheer it out and blend everything in.

2) Shade match : the shade range is excellent. I wear 3W1 Tawny and it's a HAIR on the pink side but otherwise a great match for my NC35ish neutral yellow skin.

3) Longevity. Easily lasts a regular 8-10 hour day for me with minimal need to touch up. It sticks to my face so well I actually have to cleanse extra thoroughly to completely remove it, otherwise I do find that it clogs my pores. I go in with an oil cleanser, and then run a cotton pad soaked with micellar water to pick up extra bits, and then wash my face with my usual face cleanser.

Pros :
- Great shade range
- Easily achieves a high medium coverage, buildable to full.
- Matte, but not flat matte imo - this actually makes my skin look really nice.
- Lasts through the apocalypse - controls oil really well and still looks very fresh even hours later.
- Versatile - if you have drier skin I would recommend mixing this in with a drop of hyaluronic acid or pairing it with a hydrating primer, as you'll get the coverage and longevity without the potentially drying/texture-emphasising effect. Can be applied sparingly for a more skin-like look, or built up to look very full coverage and makeupey if desired.

Cons :
- Application can take some getting used to.
- Can be unforgiving on texture, as most matte foundations I've tried tend to be- I do get dry patches on my nose and this can cling to them. However I don't finding this to emphasise my fine lines any more than my other foundations do despite the matte finish.
- Can clog pores if extra care isn't taken to remove it completely. You pretty much NEED an oil cleanser to make sure it's thoroughly removed.
- Pump is sold separately if you want one.

TL;DR Rating : 11/10 bye bye frequent touch ups where has this been all my life - best suited to those with oilier skin that have issues with makeup longevity, drier skin types can wear this too if modified to be more moisturising.

UPDATE : I have taken one lippie off the rating because now that I have worn this a few more times, I do find that it can feel quite heavy and drying on my skin. Careful moisturisation is definitely needed as face prep before putting this foundation on.

on 8/12/2017 9:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Honestly terrible for my skin, one wear and i broke out SO bad. I bought this because it said non-comedogenic hoping it wouldn't clog my pores, i don't know if it did or didn't do that. But upon removing it i had red pimples all under my skin, and right after i had just cleared it up too :(. I also didn't build it up very much for the sake of letting my skin breathe, now i'm glad i didn't build it up.

on 7/26/2017 8:49:00 PM

I kind of avoided this foundation for a while for 2 reasons - 1: the person who recommended it to me had a face caked up in orange and I didn't want my makeup to look like that ... basically I was afraid it would oxidise on my skin. 2: it's for oily skin (mine is only slightly oily) and I've heard it promises a very matte powdery finish which I hate the look of. I prefer my skin to look a bit dewy and natural. Finally I went and got a sample and the first thing I'll say is I got matched absolutely perfectly which is rare for me. I took it home and tried it out, and the finish was a nice satin finish, which was slightly dewy with a finishing spray and very natural when used sparingly. It lasted for the rest of the day and I wore it to work the next day, where it lasted all day again, from 8am to 8pm when I took my makeup off, with no deterioration. You can sheer it out to almost nothing, but the coverage is great if you need it.

The only con, as everyone says, is the packaging. This is a high end foundation and should have a pump, but it doesn't. Honestly I don't know how they get away with it, especially since a pump only costs a few dollars more. If anyone knows if it's possible to buy a high quality pump which fits the thread on the opening of the bottle let me know?

So yeah a really good comfortable long wearing foundation with great neutral shades, absolutely worth the money. Just make sure you don't keep the lid off the bottle for too long.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This foundation definitely stays in place like it says but it seems to show more than hide my pores. I have large pores and use Benefits Porefessional as well as a primer but it still manages to show them which could be different with others. My skin is very pale so it is hard to find a foundation that matches my skin tone and doesn't leave me looking like a Cheeto but I use the shade Ivory Nude and use loose, translucent face powder to set it and so far that has worked for me in not achieving the Cheeto look lol. It's worth the money and lasts a while, I would just recommend experimenting with it and seeing how you can optimize it to its full potential.

on 7/9/2017 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love this foundation. It's my all time favorite, and my go to foundation if I want my makeup to look flawless and last all day. My skin is quite dry, but this foundation does not cling to the dry patches nor does it make my skin look patchy. This foundation last all day, and does not get oily. The foundation sets well, and feels like skin. Not sticky at all, but not drying either. Even though this foundation is "double wear" it looks pretty natural on my skin. I like the packaging, but i would prefer if it had a pump. But it's not a problem, once you get used to it.