Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

4.1

12/2012 REFORMULATION

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This foundation gives full coverage and it's very long-lasting but it's definitely not for dry skin as it is very heavy, mask-like, cakey, and it enhances flakes and dry patches. It's definitely not for everyday use as well because it's like cement on skin literally "smothering" your skin making it impossible for your skin to breathe and clear its impurities, which is very important for good healthy skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have a lot to say about this product. I really did try to make this work and got through the whole bottle in doing so but my opinion remains unchanged; this looks terrible on my skin.
Let's start with the positives; this foundation can be really full coverage. On the days where I was going for a really full on look, this aspect was good. Also, it does not budge. It feels almost waterproof as taking it off can prove to be a task. This makes it great for nights out. I know so many people who love this foundation, but more often than not, their skin is flawless to begin with and they have a normal skin type. This allows the foundation to just glide over the skin giving an even, full coverage finish and it does look beautiful.
However, if your skin is anything like mine, you may not like this. My friend has the exact same skin type as myself and her opinion on this foundation was the same. I have an oily T Zone which has resulted in a lot of texture. This includes breakouts, large open pores, blackheads and whiteheads. Whilst this foundation made my cheek and under eye area look flawless where my skin is normal, my T Zone looked like a hot mess. Any texture on my skin was emphasised to the point where I'd sometimes remove my foundation because I felt it looked better without it. This foundation sunk into the large pores on and around my nose, and clung to the blackheads and whiteheads making them appear larger. What made it worse was the huge contrast between this and how smooth and flawless the rest of my skin looked. My nose would look almost dry because the foundation clung and made the area look chalky. So I guess if your skin is oily without the texture, this COULD work for you to help keep your skin looking matte. However, the chalkiness on the clinging areas meant that it started to break apart as the days went on. Another disappointing factor is the packaging. It's a pumpless bottle so you have to pour it out - I wasted so much because a little of this foundation goes a long way. You can buy pumps but for a foundation of this price, you'd expect the full package without having to purchase add-ons. The pouring process also leads to mess around the top of the bottle which is inconvenient if you're in a rush and don't have time to be cleaning it up.
The reason why I said I'd repurchase this is for a couple of reasons. The first is I think this could look good for photography if it is at a distance due to the full coverage matte finish. The second is because this would look great on my clients who have more normal skin than myself.
So to summarise, this foundation has the potential to be great, just not for someone with skin like myself.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I will always use double-wear. It did take me a bit to get the hang of making it look natural, but after that brief blip it has become my holy grail makeup product. MY SKIN: dry, acne, acne scars, a LOT of redness. I make this look natural by using the Too Faced Hangover primer (another complete holy grail) after a moisturizer, and the sigma 3DHD Kabuki brush. This foundation covers all my redness, (I don't even need a concealer) is a thin enough consistency that if your skin is hydrated it will look natural, and stays put all day.
If you have trouble making this look natural, i highly recommend exfoliating, using a primer/moisturizer that is more hydrating than you think it needs to be, and using a kabuki brush to apply. A little goes a long way so even though I'm a broke student, the price doesn't bother me. I get about 4-5 months out of each bottle, which is perfect for when the seasons change and I need a different shade.

Also I have dropped this bottle on a tile floor and it didn't shatter.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

The lightest shade available in my country is Pebble. Which is way to dark and orange for me. Which is ofcourse my problem and not the product's. I bought it anyways because it made my skin look flawless and it dries very nice and quickly. Im going to try and lighten it with the La Girl Pro HD liquid foundation in White because Ive heard they have the same quick drying formula.
The only downside: the stupid opening. No pump. Just letting the product pour out...

Will report back, make up soldiers!

on 3/10/2017 3:13:00 AM

When I was on vacation in Thailand, I went to Central Festival wich was like makeup heaven.
All the brands I can not buy in the Netherlands, and such a colour range which varied from very light to dark.
As I am extremely pale the Double wear is only sold in a shade too dark for me in the Netherlands, in Thailand I found 1w1 which is a great match. (comparable to Bourjois healthy mix in color 51)

First of all, the packaging.. There is no pump, only a big hole which makes it hard to get a small amount of product out of the bottle. The package looks chic but isn't usefull. Another thing I don't like is the smell. Like MAC, Estee Lauder Double wear got this same chemic smell. I know perfumes are no good to your skin but I love the way Bourjois Healthy mix smells like fruits. :)

The coverage of this foundation is extremely good, it is a thin liquid substance. Not a creamy formula more 'chalky'. I apply it with my beautyblender which give me a nice even finish. Not cakey at all, but it does emphasize the wrinkles around my eyes and when you use this foundation, don't forget to give your face a bit more dimension using a bronzer/blush, otherwise you'll look like a little porcelain doll :)

This foundation really does last all day. The coverage feels light and doesn’t wear like a mask. It also convincingly disguises skin imperfections. I like it very much. I made a review on Youtube where I´m showing you how the coverage is and how it looks like enjoy watching!

Okay!!!! So after finishing my 4th bottle of this foundation I decided to write a review bcz I want everyone to give it a try. If you are very oily or in a humid hot place please don't forget to carry it. It's the best foundation for the shades issue, with good yellow tone, yes it lasts long for a good time with primer, I won't say 15hrs without any diffence but yup it stays quite nicely even in summer, has very good nd matte finish dats wat i love abt it. Doesn't cake wen applied with my butyblendr, ummm only thing is it gives a look of makeup on, I love this foundation over Mac,Clinique,Dior, very very good coverage . Not drying, doesn't transfer, fotofriendly, love it overall .... Must try

on 2/28/2017 12:26:00 PM

the best foundation all time. amazing coverage, no mask feeling and naturally look:) i would recommend to everyone!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is amazing. I have very oily skin and this stuff really stays in place. I use it with Mac Pro blot powder and they staying power triples. I have yet to use this in the summer, but I'm sure it will stay put through sweat as well and it stays put through my oil. The color variations are great, if you go to the EL makeup counter they have a little digital reader that can read your skin and tell you what shade you are. That's what I did and got a perfect match. The only thing with this product though is it seems to dry my skin out a little, but I also use proactiv daily which is also drying so it could be chalked up to that. But I got a free sample of the night recovery complex with my foundation purchase and that stuff really works well for moisturizing oily skin, it soaks right in and doesn't leave any residue. Another great thing about this foundation is it doesn't break me out, at all. Great stuff!!

on 2/28/2017 4:49:00 AM

I love this foundation so much, it kills me that I won't re purchase this foundation due to the fact the flash back in photos is absolutely horrible !!! I look like a ghost in photos ! I love the way it looks on my face it's a shame that it doesn't look good in flash photos.