Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

12/2012 REFORMULATION

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I can't stand this foundation. Settles into pores, accentuates everything and doesn't last as long as it should. Oxidizes as well

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I heard about the hype. Yet it didn't interest me because I thought I'd have my HG foundation with Maybelline Superstay foundation, but Estee Lauder is a game changer for me now. First time I wore this I went swimming on a summer day, everything stayed in place. I took some blotting paper to get rid of the sweat and the foundation still looked untouched. I was very satisfied when I took off my makeup because I didn't need to worry if it melted or cracked. Of course it can't stay on for 15+ hours looking perfect all the time. But when I reach 10 hours it looks like I've worn an average foundation for just a couple of hours. Today I used it again and it's no different than the other day. I'll keep this expensive as a HG for hot, long times (summer, beach, party, clubbing, etc.) and will always be excited to apply it. Pro: - good shade range (Ecru fits good, I'm NW20) - medium, buildable coverage (this ain't full coverage with one layer for me) - matte, natural finish (I still use powder because I always want to be sure everything is set) - stays, no matter how much you sweat Neutral: - price (you don't need to buy it if it's too much $ for you) Con: - packaging (no pump, glass material) Maybelline Superstay is too dry for my skin, I guess. Yet I have combo skin (oily T-zone, normal/dry cheeks and undereyes). SS can look cakey on me if I'm not careful while applying, it's not as transfer proof as EL and the shade range is meh. So, welcome new (and forever) HG to the family.

I decided to buy this high-end product thinking that it was going to be of good quality and safe for sensitive skin. I was wrong. This product broke me out so badly. :-( I'm gonna switch back to MAC for now until I discover my holy grail foundation.

on 8/18/2017 2:21:00 PM

I don't usually write reviews but this is a game changer, and I can't believe it took me this long to try it. I am used to having to habitually check my makeup every couple of hours to make sure it hasn't caked up, or turned oily etc - but this. I can go a straight 4 or 5 hours before I need to blot (I still use a primer for best oil control results), and even then the foundation is still fully intact and firmly stuck to my face. I have worn it for 8 hours before and only had to blot once, and that's an absolute dream for me as someone with an oily t-zone.

1) Application can be a bit tricky. A little goes a LONG way with this - if you slap on tons like a regular foundation it will look SUPER cakey. It also dries rather quickly so for best results do one section of the face at a time, blending it completely before moving on to the next. Bearing in mind that I dont use beauty blenders, the best method I've found is to pour a little on the back of my hand, lightly dip my Real Techniques buffing brush into it to pick up a small amount, and then blend it onto a section of my face. Repeat until entire face is covered and build up as needed. Using this method I get a really good medium coverage that looks really natural on the skin, and feels light and comfortable. I find that when I try to dot it on my face then blend it out like other foundations I tend to end up applying too much. Really I don't think it is as heavy-looking (or feeling) as some people claim it is if you take the time to sheer it out and blend everything in.

2) Shade match : the shade range is excellent. I wear 3W1 Tawny and it's a HAIR on the pink side but otherwise a great match for my NC35ish neutral yellow skin.

3) Longevity. Easily lasts a regular 8-10 hour day for me with minimal need to touch up. It sticks to my face so well I actually have to cleanse extra thoroughly to completely remove it, otherwise I do find that it clogs my pores. I go in with an oil cleanser, and then run a cotton pad soaked with micellar water to pick up extra bits, and then wash my face with my usual face cleanser.

Pros :
- Great shade range
- Easily achieves a high medium coverage, buildable to full.
- Matte, but not flat matte imo - this actually makes my skin look really nice.
- Lasts through the apocalypse - controls oil really well and still looks very fresh even hours later.
- Versatile - if you have drier skin I would recommend mixing this in with a drop of hyaluronic acid or pairing it with a hydrating primer, as you'll get the coverage and longevity without the potentially drying/texture-emphasising effect. Can be applied sparingly for a more skin-like look, or built up to look very full coverage and makeupey if desired.

Cons :
- Application can take some getting used to.
- Can be unforgiving on texture, as most matte foundations I've tried tend to be- I do get dry patches on my nose and this can cling to them. However I don't finding this to emphasise my fine lines any more than my other foundations do despite the matte finish.
- Can clog pores if extra care isn't taken to remove it completely. You pretty much NEED an oil cleanser to make sure it's thoroughly removed.
- Pump is sold separately if you want one.

TL;DR Rating : 11/10 bye bye frequent touch ups where has this been all my life - best suited to those with oilier skin that have issues with makeup longevity, drier skin types can wear this too if modified to be more moisturising.

on 8/16/2017 1:43:00 PM

Holy Grail Product for me. I have fair skin with some mild sun damage that I am now seeing a dermatologist for. I am on light therapy for and Retin A. So, I needed full coverage with a foundation that would not look cakey or splotchy. Also, one that would not dry my face out. Although, before I get into how wonderful this product is I will say that you should use a good moisturizer underneath and SPF, and I use a good primer (Smashbox). But really that's with any foundation.

So, in my opinion the formula is quite velvety. It goes on quite smooth and believe me, you do not need a lot. I have found that a dry beauty blender is best if you are wanting full coverage. If you just want a nice, full coverage, but not too much just every flaw covered but breathable and still natural, just use one small amount of a coat: 3 or 4 dots on each cheek and a couple on your forehead and chin-lip. Use the blender and tip for around your nose etc; It is absolutely buildable if you want a heavier look.

The price is a bit steep but it is worth every penny and it does not sweat off, it lasts up to 12 hours (seriously-I have long days) and it will not break you out even with sensitive skin like mine. The colors are very nice and natural. I chose Sand. My only gripe about this product is that it does not come with a pump. However, I have heard that you can buy a pump from Mac that fits it perfectly.

I bought my Double Wear from Ulta and they really help you there; so, I wish you well in your purchase I think you'll be surprised.

Stay Gorg!!!!

on 8/12/2017 9:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Honestly terrible for my skin, one wear and i broke out SO bad. I bought this because it said non-comedogenic hoping it wouldn't clog my pores, i don't know if it did or didn't do that. But upon removing it i had red pimples all under my skin, and right after i had just cleared it up too :(. I also didn't build it up very much for the sake of letting my skin breathe, now i'm glad i didn't build it up.

on 8/10/2017 11:25:00 PM

The "big guns" of foundation- not for amateur makeup wearers!! Awesome full coverage (hides blemishes and scars), lasts all day and is a great buildable foundation! It may be too heavy for those who hate the feeling of wearing foundation or those who want a more natural look. I wear it all year round but some may also think it's too heavy for the summer. With that being said, it's not extremely easy to remove- lots of face wipes plus face wash. It dries matte which is great for those who dislike a dewey finish, buffs in easily and evenly and doesn't streak. It is a bit expensive though-but well worth the money! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

on 8/10/2017 10:57:00 PM

Stays on for hours, I mis two colors to get right color. Blend with a damp sponge or beauty blender. I love this foundation, will never go tot another and I have tried most all of them.

on 7/30/2017 4:28:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I used to wear double wear years ago before they changed my colour (shell beige) and the formula. I decided to try it out again, I got a sample in the colour Buff.
I used a blending brush to apply, easy to blend apart from on my nose, which I always find difficult, I think due to oily skin. Colour began to oxidise which meant it ended up being to dark. Should also mention, which is my fault, I decided to go with that colour because I thought it would go with my tan best, and as I don't put tan on my face felt there was no point colour matching my face as I am very pale. It felt like I had ALOT of make up on, and I usually like a medium- full coverage but this felt to much.
I also noticed dots appearing on my nose, which is usually because of the oil coming through.
I was gutted this foundation didn't work out for me as I know how much I loved it before. I know lots of people who love this foundation so I wouldn't want to put someone off trying it as I'm sure it would be perfect for someone else!

on 7/28/2017 2:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My all time HG! Still haven't found anything that works or wears better that this stuff. I recently gave the new version - Double wear nude water fresh one a try. Don't be fooled, it does not wear anything at all like the original. And it's definitely not for us oily skinned girls. So back to the original I go. The packaging of course could be a bit better if they added a pump, but I got myself one from mac that fits like a glove.