Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

It’s been a few years since I’ve tried this, and I think that it comes in more shades now. When I tried it, they gave me about a 2 weeks supply as a sample. I didn’t buy it.
At the time, it was really hard to find any foundation that was light enough (shade wise) for my skin, but the shade that she gave me was close enough. I just used my fingers to apply it. The coverage was pretty good and I had awful acne at the time, so that was quite important to me.
It lasted all day and didn’t seem to visibly sink into my pores even though I didn’t use primer. It didn’t transfer either. But it did not look natural at all. In fact, my husband told me, without my asking for any opinion or even telling him that I was trying something new, that my skin looked like plastic. When I looked in the mirror, I couldn’t disagree. I’d really rather have discoloration or pimples peeking through than look like my face was made of plastic.
Even if it had looked good on me, I don’t like the fact that it doesn’t have a pump. I find that unhygienic and messy. It’s easy to pour out too much and waste it, and I don’t like holding my fingers or a sponge over the opening of the bottle, especially when I end up needing to do it over and over again. I still would have just dealt with that if the foundation looked good on me, but it didn’t.
If you want to try this, definitely get a sample first. A lot of people are able to make it work well for them. I wasn’t one of them, but you could be. Just find out by using a sample for a week or so before you buy it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

This is too thick and it sinks into pores after a couple of hours. Patchy in places where I have dry skin like on my chin or around my nose. I think the lighter version is way better.

on 11/14/2018 9:28:00 AM

On opening I noticed a strong paint like smell which seemed to go away on application. The texture is fairly thick and runny. Coverage is full but you have to work quickly as it dries very fast!

In terms of how long it lasts...It does not seem to transfer at all and I find I do double cleanse to effectively remove this. Unfortunately it oxidizes like crazy and noticeably so. I also found that on wearing for a few hours I became very conscious of it on my skin and my skin did not feel like it could breathe (something I did not feel with the Max Cover version). Also be wary if you have dry skin as this really clings to everything.

I did not finish the bottle nor repurchase as the oxidization was perhaps the biggest deal breaker for me

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Color match was perfect, but it looked cakey and emphasized pores. What I would expect from a drugstore foundation so I returned it.

on 10/30/2018 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

LOVE this foindation. I've been trying a lot of foundations out there looking for the one. And i've heard about this. I dont know why i took so long to finally try this out, seriously. Tried luminous silk, broke me out. It cc cream, nice and comfy on skin but still moves around. Mac studio fix, good but still like any other foundations out there, it still moves around, you feel it especially when you have oily skin.
Now mine is oily to combination, sometimes kinda dry. This foundation is amazing. It's like paint. Once it's dried out it doesnt move doesnt budge. Maybe a little when i sweat but overall, it's just amazing. I've never seen any foundation like it. I'm just amazed by it. When apply thin layer with damped beauty blender, it could actually look pretty natural. It's like blending in with the skin. I dont even need to set at all, except for the under eye, only because my mascara would always budge down to the under eye if i don't set.
But i guess most people are heavy hand with foundation, and that way, it would definitely look like foundation.
The color though is a bit to the pinky side. I'm light- medium to medium and very yellow. I'm wearing the shade rattan and it looks quite yellow when it first comes out of the bottle but then turns a little pinker later, sort of like a little more peachy than how it first looks when it's dried down and that's what i dont like about it. But overall, amazing foundation. Just hope they will come out with more yellow shades soon!

on 10/29/2018 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

There are some things I don’t love about this foundation, but for someone with dark acne scars like me who is looking for a full coverage foundation that stays all day and doesn’t transfer, this is the best. At first I hated it - I applied with a kabuki brush and it wouldn’t blend and was very mask-like. When I applied it with a damp beauty blender, it transformed into the foundation everyone touts it to be. It is full coverage but I still have to use Kevyn Aucoin sensual skin enhancer to cover up acne scars completely and undereye circles. I wear 2W0 warm vanilla and I’m nc20. What I love about this foundation more than anything is that it doesn’t transfer at all. All other foundations I’ve tried transfer onto my clothes, onto my boyfriend, onto anyone and anything I come into contact with. Double wear doesn’t budge there is nothing else that compares on the market. Even when I’m wearing sunglasses it doesn’t rub off onto the glasses which is a pet peeve of mine.

Some things I don’t love about double wear: it is not very natural looking. It definitelty looks like I’m wearing makeup and isn’t the most skin-like foundation I’ve tried. I also don’t like the smell or the fact that it doesn’t have a pump. It’s easy to use too much product since it doesn’t have a pump. I’ve tried hundreds of foundations - some of which I much prefer the skin like finish of but the fact that this doesn’t budge or transfer is worth it for me.

I've re-purchased Double Wear 3 times now and I do still love it! I wear this mostly as a weekend/going on a night out foundation. I have combination to oily skin. The coverage for me is full coverage, however I still use powder around my T-zone. I got colour matched in store, and it is the perfect match for me. I am fairly light, I am in the shade Ecru. The downsides, it doesn't have a pump and it does dry fast, so blend fast! But would definitely recommend.

on 10/28/2018 3:21:00 PM

I LOVED this foundation when I first bought it. It smoothed out my skin like nothing else. It hid my acne and was full coverage but also didn't look cakey. My favourite part was that it stayed on all day. I'm a student, so I don't have much money to spend on makeup. I thought this was my HG foundation, but after a while I noticed that it made my skin look so dry. It would be perfect once applied, but then throughout the day it would sink into my skin (even when using primer) and make my skin look awful. I'm 24, but I had lines all over my face like I had never seen before. I looked like I was about 70. After 6 hours I would look super unhealthy and like my skin was very dry, when it actually isn't. I tried using different moisturisers, primers, etc underneath but unfortunately nothing worked. I stopped using it and will not be rebuying. Perhaps it may work well for people in warm climates, but it didn't work well for me in the UK. I have also spoken to friends who have experienced a similar issue... strangely, we all found that it was great in the beginning and drying/creasing problem developed later

Short Review about the Foundation (About 3min) with all the information that you need.

on 10/22/2018 6:31:00 AM

Okaaay so I have used this for the last 10 years, on and off. After about 6 years of using it I wanted to see if I could find any other foundations and just explore a little... I’ve tried many foundations, Clinique, Nars, Dior, mac, too faced, and the list goes on.

Nothing beats Estée Lauder double wear for me. I always come back to it. The price is high yet it lasts for a long time and it stays on my skin so well, but I like to set it with a powder. I don’t usually use it by itself but I’ve heard good things with just itself. One bottle lasts me between 1 year to a year and a half and I use makeup almost every day. You don’t really need to use much since it has got quite a lot of coverage.

Surprisingly, this does not dry out my dry skin since it’s a quite heavy and matte foundation. I use this in the Norwegian winter and it doesn’t affect it all. It doesn’t cling onto my dry spots but I always make sure I moisturise well beforehand. It doesn’t settle into my fine lines either or it doesn’t budge. I like to use urban decays optical illusion complexion primer underneath this and I set it with Nyxs HD translucent powder. It stays put all day. At the end of the day, it becomes more of a nice dewy look for me.

At one point I thought that this was contributing to some really bad acne that I got several years ago. I decided to stop using it and try out something less heavy. My acne went away and so I thought the foundation wasn’t that good. Again after some years I decided to try this out because the price was cheaper in Australia ($50 AUD) and I remembered that I loved how long it stayed put on my skin. I didn’t get acne this time (wuhu! :D) So I think it was probably from hormones and also because I didn’t have the best skincare routine back then either. You REALLY need to make sure you remove this properly and cleanse your skin otherwise you may get some clogged pores and tada, there’s the skin problems. I find that with many foundations do this either way if you don’t remove the makeup/cleanse anyway. :)

Application: I used to use my fingers when I was younger but I had found that kinda made me look a bit cakier than what i wanted... so I highly recommend using a damp sponge. I use the real techniques sponge for this and I think it evens the foundation out perfectly. Ever since using the sponge I no longer have a cakey look :)

For the packaging, as many people have stated, a pump should have come with this for hygienic purposes. But I thiiiiink you can actually buy the Estée Lauder pump seperately or if you can’t find that, Mac or Clinique have good ones that will fit the bottle.

Shade range:
Back when I first started using the ELDW, there wasn’t an impressive amount of shades but now they’ve really stepped up their game. The new additions are great! I have a friend who has super pale skin and she’s always struggled to find her perfect shade. She tried DW before the pale shades came in and now she’s very satisfied.
For me, I am around a Mac nc 15/20. I like to use between ELDW 1n1/1w1 for winter and 1n2/1w2 for summer. I have a neutral skin tone leaning warm. If I need to change anything, I sometimes mix them together or I mix in the smallest amount of turmeric depending on what shade I want to achieve.

I’d say give it a go. It’s worth getting a sample. This is my holy grail and I hope it works out for you :)