Paula's Choice RESIST Ultra-Light Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum

Paula's Choice RESIST Ultra-Light Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum
RESIST Ultra-Light Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum

4.3

Not tested on animals

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), Butylene Glycol (slip/water-binding agent), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Dimethicone (silicone slip agent), Polysorbate 20 (emulsifier), Polysilicone-11 (film-forming agent), Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone (silicone polymer), Hyaluronic Acid (skin-repairing ingredient), Resveratrol (antioxidant), Niacinamide (cell-communicating ingredient), Quercetin (antioxidant), Adenosine (cell-communicating ingredient), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Phospholipids (skin-repairing ingredient), Ubiquinone, Epigallocatechin Gallate (antioxidants), Sea Whip Extract, Bisabolol, Beta Glucan (anti-irritants), Phytic Acid (chelating agent), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer (film-forming agent), Sodium Hydroxide (stabilizer), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin-conditioning agent)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This gets a big fat NOPE from me.
This is basically silicone you're rubbing all over your face. Which I have nothing against silicone when it's in TINY amounts but when it's the first two ingredients it wrecked havoc on my skin. It feels like a silicone primer you put on before makeup except thicker and doesn't sink in all the way. It irritated my skin and broke me out. No thank you Paula's choice, I'll be passing on this one.

on 12/12/2015 9:27:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Paula's Choice products are a hit or miss for me; I love some of them and dislike others. This one I love and it's one of the four serums that I have on rotation. It's absolutely lovely and fantastic for my skin. It has a light texture, sinks in immediately, doesn't clog my pores and doesn't make me oily. I have repurchased many times and will continue to do so.

on 11/22/2015 5:56:00 PM

This stuff is amazing. I have oily, acne prone skin and never thought a serum would be helpful. Boy was I wrong. The antioxidants really help keep my skin clearer, and most days it is all the moisture that I need. In winter I layer this under my moisturizer at night, and I wake up with glowy skin that I can't stop touching! I've been using this for about a year and this is definitely a staple for me.

Serums are a tricky thing, and boy do the companies market them cleverly. They're expensive as all hell, and we're often told we shouldn't expect amazing, immediate results with them. We need to stick with one for the long term and, so we're told, our skin will thank us for it as we age. We're supposed to just trust the companies when they say this, even as they price serums higher than any other skincare product. Even Paula Begoun is guilty of this, and honesty and transparency is the main thrust of her brand.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I have an immediately apparent result to report with this serum, and it's a doozy. Since incorporating this into my skin care regime, I no longer experience breakouts. At all. I'm not kidding. The only times I've gotten a pimple since using this have been when I haven't washed my face or followed my skin care routine for a couple days. Even then, it's just one pimple. It's interesting because this serum isn't necessarily marketed as an acne-fighting product, but it's kicked my acne's butt six ways to Sunday. I started using a BHA exfoliant a long time ago (PC RESIST Weightless Body Treatment 2% BHA), and that dramatically improved my skin and reduced acne. Then I started using PC Clear benzoyl peroxide treatment and that helped a bit more. But nothing actually prevented breakouts quite like this serum. I started using this while changing nothing else about my routine, and suddenly I have no more pimples. And it seems to have faded the marks from old pimples very quickly. Also of note: it applies easily around the eyes with no irritation.

Having no pimples certainly seems like this product is worth the price, but I've also tried to use it in such a way that it will save me money in the long term. For instance, I don't think I need toner so much anymore with what this serum does for my skin, so now I only apply toner on nights when I'm removing makeup. I've also relegated my benzoyl peroxide cream to nighttime only instead of twice daily. I am even playing with the idea of trying to phase that out completely to see if I really need it anymore. Finally, at nighttime I just mix a drop of this serum in with my night cream (CeraVae lotion) to give it more mileage. In the morning I apply the serum undiluted as the last step before my SPF day cream (currently RESIST Super-Light SPF 30). I started diluting it at night when I was already partway through my first tube, and my first tube lasted me almost four months this way. So if I can make the tube of serum last five months or more, and cut down on the amount of toner and acne cream I buy, I think I could actually save money using this. And of course Paula has frequent sales, so I never need to pay full price.

The texture of the product is water-light and absorbs instantly. It cannot be felt on the skin post-application. It is marketed to oilier skin types but I myself am not oily. I recommend a quick application because it absorbs so fast.

So there is my testimony for this product and my tips for using it. YMMV, but with all there is to gain I think this serum is worth a try. I've just started my second tube now.

on 11/25/2014 8:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

My skin simply drinks this serum and is left smoothed, soothed and not a dry patch in sight. This is hands down the best serum I have tried. It is a sort of runny gel with a slight orangy scent (which is not fragrance but simply the smell of the combined ingredients - the product is unscented like all PC products). I don't need moisturizer for dry skin when I use this, which otherwise is a must. I already repurchased.

This is a great product that works, but without the heavy price tag. Paula's Choice has many well-formulated and relatively inexpensive skincare products that actually work. My skin is combination/oily, clog-prone, and prone to hormonal cystic acne during TOTM. Basically my skincare aim has been to find good products that keep my acne under control, as well as hydrate and prevent premature aging by using serums and lightweight creams with antioxidants, hyaluronic acid, etc. I chose to incorporate this serum into my morning routine after using the RESIST BHA 2%. I also mix a few drops of the C15 booster into this serum to give my skin a Vitamin C boost underneath my SS (Philosophy Miracle Worker SPF 50). The serum has a very light, watery consistency, which is good compared to her other serums which tend to be very silicone-heavy. Nothing wrong with 'cones for me, but I know many people are sensitive to them. This hydrates my skin very lightly without clogging my pores or making my skin feel greasy.

Also, this does have a very slight yellow tint to it, which goes on clear on my skin. Because I have very fair skin, I near cancelled my order after reading online that women with fair skin were finding that their skin looked "jaundiced" and "yellow" with this serum on. Luckily, I never had that problem and my skin is around a MAC NC15-20. It has a clear yellow tint to it, but no color or coverage at all on the skin. :)

on 8/5/2014 3:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I HAD THE SAMPLE.
This is fragrance and colorant free and is a great serum for dry skin. It does have a yellow tint that can neutralize pink skin tones but I don't think it was added to the formula on purpose. This is lightweight and lighter than the other serums in the 'skin recovery' and 'skin balancing ' lines. This is non irritating and absorbs quickly into the skin but you need to massage it in pretty good.

on 6/15/2014 1:50:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

Good serum although not a miracle and I'm not sure whether it really improved my skin since I used it at the same time as BHA, Clear Skin Hydrator and the Skin Balancing Serum (all PC products). Still, it did not break me out or cause any other problems and I've used up a whole tube of it and have ordered another one. Rather expensive but hopefully the ingredients are beneficial in the long term. I like the fact that PC does not test on animals.

on 6/11/2014 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Every time I wear this, my DH says, "What have you got on your face? It's orange." I'm very pale, so the color really sticks out. I can't wear it every day as it seems to build up. The orange also settles into my wrinkles, despite a light application. :(

I like the texture, but I have to mix it in with something else of I get the orange face.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This serum is full of great ingredients for skin, and has a very elegant texture. But unfortunately it also has a YELLOW color to it. At first it looks translucent with a yellow tint, but give it a couple minutes on skin and it dries down YELLOW. On my fair/light skin (MAC NC15) it makes me look jaundiced. I've purchased a full tube, and discarded it once finally realized that it is not my liver but the Anti-ox serum that gives me a lovely yellow skin.
I'd say try a sample first, especially if you have fair or light skin.
If it were not for the yellow color, this would have earned solid five lippies!