Paula's Choice RESIST Ultra-Light Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum

Paula's Choice RESIST Ultra-Light Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum
RESIST Ultra-Light Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum

3.4

Not tested on animals

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), Butylene Glycol (slip/water-binding agent), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Dimethicone (silicone slip agent), Polysorbate 20 (emulsifier), Polysilicone-11 (film-forming agent), Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone (silicone polymer), Hyaluronic Acid (skin-repairing ingredient), Resveratrol (antioxidant), Niacinamide (cell-communicating ingredient), Quercetin (antioxidant), Adenosine (cell-communicating ingredient), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Phospholipids (skin-repairing ingredient), Ubiquinone, Epigallocatechin Gallate (antioxidants), Sea Whip Extract, Bisabolol, Beta Glucan (anti-irritants), Phytic Acid (chelating agent), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer (film-forming agent), Sodium Hydroxide (stabilizer), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin-conditioning agent)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I use this everyday, I apply over my Vitamin C E Ferulic serum once its dry. This stuff is very light and absorbs quickly and easily leaving no trace on the skin which makes it great for layering products. After this I apply my spf Moisturiser. It is expensive for the amount you get, I try to buy when on offer. My skin has massively improved over a few months but that's with use of several products to target my problem areas. I see this as more of a preventative measure of skin care and I will continue to repurchase.

on 4/7/2015 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

Unfortunately, unlike the original, this product did almost nothing for my normal-combination skin. It absorbed VERY well, but afterwards my skin never felt even the slightest bit moisturized. Oddly enough, after only a few hours (after applying lotion and foundation) it made my face an oil slick. I've used this product 1-2 times a week over several months thinking my skin would get used to it but received the same result. Still love most of Paula's products though.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This serum is full of great ingredients for skin, and has a very elegant texture. But unfortunately it also has a YELLOW color to it. At first it looks translucent with a yellow tint, but give it a couple minutes on skin and it dries down YELLOW. On my fair/light skin (MAC NC15) it makes me look jaundiced. I've purchased a full tube, and discarded it once finally realized that it is not my liver but the Anti-ox serum that gives me a lovely yellow skin.
I'd say try a sample first, especially if you have fair or light skin.
If it were not for the yellow color, this would have earned solid five lippies!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

ABOUT ME: I'm a 43-year old Latina woman with very fair olive skin (mature/combination/sensitive type). I have some minor facial lines and redness.

USAGE: I've used this product intermittently over the past 4-6 months, usually once daily in the morning, following cleanser, toner, and BHA exfoliant. I apply a few drops and stroke lightly all over my face, then lightly pat around my eyes onto the orbital bone.

RESULTS/REVIEW: I'm about halfway through the tube and I've come to feel this is an "almost-great product." Meaning it does A LOT for my skin, but there are still "issues" I think Paula's Choice should have resolved BEFORE hiking up the price tag to $30 per tube. The issues include:

1) This serum is water-light with minimal "slip." It dries down to a wonderful "naked" feel/finish (NO stickiness or tackiness or lingering odor.) The challenge with the watery lack of "slip" is that I can't really use a small amount to treat my entire face since product only "goes so far." This means I must use MORE product to cover my face to enjoy the VERY GOOD antioxidant benefits.

2) If I use MORE product to ensure adequate benefit, the product ends up creating an unsightly yellow cast on my fair skin. I don't mean golden, I mean BRIGHT VISIBLE YELLOW (as in lemons, school buses, jaundice, etc.) It shows through foundations and concealers.

3) Consumers reporting the "yellow cast" effect to PC are advised that they applied too much product. And that's it.

4) Product is packaged in a small plastic tube. Good for the antioxidants but it's hard to "measure out" a "standard amount" to prevent the "yellow cast". I think a pump container MIGHT help regulate the amount, but that won't solve the problem if consumers need >1 and <2 pumps.

5) I've tried blending this serum with PC Skin Balancing Antioxidant Serum (to increase slip and prime skin) and while this has helped SOMEWHAT, I've still had "oops!" mornings where I didn't squeeze the "just-right-not-too-much" amount of Ultra-Light serum into the "cocktail," which means I'm yellow-faced -- or "patched" with yellow -- for the day. PC has also started selling it's C15 "booster" and one could use it to dilute the serum, but is it really reasonable to sell consumers one $30 product that requires another $30 serum or a $45 booster product to ensure POSSIBLE decent application?

This is a LOVELY, very skin-friendly product. A real boon to oily complexions. Honestly, I think this agrees with me and benefits me more than retinol serums. But the cosmetic challenge is frustrating to deal with. I could save it for my evening skin care routine, but the whole point of purchase was to have a more lightweight product to apply under makeup for daytime use.

I think if PC wasn't pricing products to match department store formulas, I wouldn't be so disappointed. But if I pay $30 for a serum, I expect that serum to absorb cleanly into my skin without any additional cosmetic challenges. This product is too expensive to have this kind of "side effect" and for PC to blame consumers for using too much product instead of apologizing like professionals and re-formulating (product and/or packaging) to accommodate this defect.

on 7/4/2013 6:23:00 PM

It's difficult writing reviews of certain product types (i.e., serums) without comparing them to other amazing products. So for that I will just pretend the serum I am tempted to compare it to does not exist.

Despite it being marketed for those with oily skin, rest assured this works wonderfully for people with dry skin as well. It's incredibly light with a "egg-yolk" texture and color (lol, hope that doesn't turn anyone off). In tradition with Paula's Choice, it has an intense spectrum of stellar ingredients that will all work to make your skin feel and look a little better. I mostly like it because I feel that it sinks in right after I apply it - no waiting! Perfect for hot weather and when you don't have much time.

Would definitely repurchase.