ghd Eclipse

Eclipse

on 7/31/2013 6:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I adore the Eclipse! It has literally halved my styling time and my hair feels incredibly smooth. If you section your hair, apply a good quality heat protector and glide smoothly and slowly over your locks, you will have the best results. It heats really quickly and doesn't break the hair as you style. This product is worth the hefty price tag and I highly recommend it to those with coarse, frizzy, very curly or badly behaved hair. The design is beautiful and really stands out - making the older version look cheap and tacky in comparison. The Eclipses temperature adapts to the needs of your hair and has constant heat at an optimal 185 degrees Celsius (apparently this temp is best for your hair!). It also comes with a handy, slide over cover which keeps the plates together when you're not using it. Love it and plan to use it for years to come.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I am very, very lucky to have been able to get my hands on ghd's new eclipse stylers following their recent launch. These are not on sale yet.

I want to start by saying that this review is not sponsored and is completely independent.

I have normal, long, naturally curly hair which is fine but I have a lot of it. It tends to be rather easy to style so I cannot comment on ghd's claim that these stylers also deliver excellent results on thick, rebellious or Afro type hair.

The first thing I noticed about the eclipse is the revamped look compared to the IV Classic styler.

Whilst the casing remains black, the contours are softer and there is a band of silver around the handle. This contrast makes the product look more expensive and stylish.

This model is also a lot lighter than previous stylers and sits in the hand beautifully, making it super easy to work with.

The plates are now a shiny black versus the mustard colour of the classic model. And the on / off button, which lights up, is on the outside of the handle rather than on the inner side. Even the plug which is now round has been redesigned to incorporate the ghd logo. This model retains the same length of cord and the swivel function at the base of the set to allow for ease of styling from whatever angle it is used.

A big thumbs up for the design from me then!

I found the stylers to be super easy and fast to use. These heated up really quickly. The sound to indicate that the plates have reached the optimal temperature is more like a chime now rather than the double beep of the classic styler.

The plates glided effortlessly through my hair. The clamping is so light that at first I wasn't sure whether my hair was gripped enough and I feared that I would have to go over that section again. However, the result was super straight and shiny hair in one stroke. With the classic stylers, I might have to go over sections a couple of times to get super sleek hair. So it took me less time to style my hair but got better results.!

After each stroke, the lower portion of my hair felt warmer than with the classic stylers. From the accompanying information, I gleaned that this is because of new technology which ensures the plates remain at a constant 185C. This is the optimal temperature setting to style hair whilst leaving it soft and shiny apparently. This is certainly what I experienced.

The other difference I noticed is that the casing remains cool to the touch. Apparently this is thanks to aerogel insulation which is a NASA technology. Rather impressive!

As these stylers aren't on sale yet, I cannot comment on price but I have heard these will be more expensive than the classic stylers which retail in the UK at around GBP99.00. And it isn't difficult to see why! ghd have produced the Rolls Royce version of their innovative original product which performs like a dream and looks super sleek.

The classic stylers work well and you could settle for these. But they are definitely outshone by the eclipse! I feel these are definitely worth considering. I love them!!

Popular Hair Styling Tools