NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.6

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

I you're planning on getting a powder to bake your face with, in a proper Instagram fashion, definitely don't buy this!
If you're looking to achieve a blurred-out-pore effect on your selfies using this powder, you're better off with an app. You will, nonetheless, achieve a blurred-out-pore effect in real life. <3

This powder is MAGNIFICENT at setting a light layer of foundation in, to even out and mattify for a natural looking finish. I use Dior's Diorskin Forever Perfect Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 35 in Ivory, and haven't changed brands for years. After a few Summers I realized that, as much as I hate heavy makeup, a finishing powder was due for me. I like YSL's Poudre Compact Radiance for the colder months, but in Summer it can all get a bit too much, and breaking a sweat under all that is not a very good beauty scenario. Can you imagine wearing 2 layers of makeup to the beach? Yuck (But one layer along with a dash of this finishing powder, thats' a perfect marriage to give your natural beauty an extra kick that last and beats shine caused by oil production.)

I have found this is better applied with a big loose brush, and a little goes a long way. I ensure there are no residues with the feel of my hands, then I'm good to do. Remember, this is best used as the very last step in your makeup routine, unless you're up for a special night out and you'll sprinkle a bit of glitter on it all, then go dancing.

Sometimes I do forget, and I have to apply my blush on top of this powder (Mornings, hehe) but I definitely get a more even, controllable and blendable application under it. Once again this is a FINISHING powder.

There are endless high end brands that carry finishing powders like YSL (Compact) Laura Mercier (Loose), but at the end of the day I personally prefer to invest my money on the things that are closer to my skin, like moisturizer and foundation. It works great on top of all the goodness underneath when used properly, so I'd say: Great value for money :)

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Cool

Love this product for setting concealer around T-zone. Can't see this working well for dry and/or sallow skin types. MUFE is more finely-milled and would be less drying, would also be better for flash photography/events. Great overall HD powder for oily skin. I use a different powder for the dry areas of my face, or if I'm wearing concealer under eyes.

on 2/26/2017 5:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Overall a nice product. Keeps my face pretty matte for a good while, and even keeps my rather oily nose matte for about 5-6 hours (I have combo skin).
I used it the other day before going to a party, and it lasted from around 1pm till 3am with minimal caking and oiliness. (Disclaimer: I was a little drunk at 3am so it might've looked better through my beergoggles, lol)

The container is quite messy, because you can't "lock" the powder in the inside, like you can with the GOSH Prime'n'set (if you're familiar with the packaging), so you'll most likely get white powder everywhere - so stay away from it if you're wearing a black top.

It's very finely milled in my opinion, especially when compared to the GOSH Prime'n'set which feels kinda heavy on the skin, and isn't suitable for baking, if you ask me.
I haven't tried baking with this product yet though, so I don't know if it's suitable for that.

All in all a nice setting powder, which I'll likely repurchase once I run out of it, if I don't find a better one.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I am somewhat pale (NW15) and combination-dry; this loose, 100% silica powder looks both dry and chalky on me even when applied super-sparingly with a stippling brush. I am hesitant to suggest it as a solo finishing powder unless you are into a matte look, very pale, and have an oilier skin type. I feel like that is a lot of parameters, so I am giving this one a kind of sorry 3/5 rating.

on 7/11/2016 11:44:00 PM

This is an AWFUL translucent powder. This powder is really uneven on the face and looks HORRENDOUS in photos. It made my concealer crease almost instantly after putting this on. It's very chalky as well. Not worth it! Don't waste your $10 on this product. I'd much rather use loreal true match setting powder, or the maybelline translucent powder.

I was looking for something to replace my used up Primed and Poreless loose powder from Too Faced because it was not in stock on the web-site. I like this much better. I used a kabuki brush to apply. If you use a puff, it is difficult to get the product to go on smoothly. ( It takes a bit of practice to use it with a puff.) Anyway, I felt like Too Faced's product just sat on the top of my skin while this seemed to work better to set my foundation. I wouldn't use it to absorb oil though. The container sucks! The holes are too large and it's easy to spill the product. I recommend using it while sitting down, keeping it right side up and carefully opening it, or just transfer it to a better container.

So I bought this product because I needed something to bake with, and before I splurged on the Laura Mercier I wanted to try something more inexpensive. I've read reviews before that this was a great alternative to bake with! This was the worst idea ever.

First of all, it's hard to grab product with the beauty blender, I would dip and dip and nothing would hold onto the sponge. After dipping like a million times, I was finally in the process of baking my face. As the powder set on my face for 10 minutes, my skin automatically felt dry and tight, and I have oily skin so it was the worst feeling to have. And the worst part is trying to dust away the powder. It is the most DIFFICULT thing to do. It's almost like dusting away dried up chalk, and you're left with streaks of white powder. And don't get me started with taking pictures with flash....it was just an overall bad decision.

However, I tried it a second time but not for baking, instead I tried it just as a finishing powder and it did a better job that way but it was still too drying for my face.

on 5/5/2016 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Maybe they had a formula change? This powder is horrible. Idk what else to say it's just bad, it doesn't blend it's a very heavy white that just sits on your face, the consistency of literal baking soda.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I'm super pale so the translucent shade doesn't give me a white cast, my skin is already like that...but this packaging was a complete nightmare for me. I would consider myself a relatively competent person but at the first unscrew after removing the sticker over the holes it exploded all over me, my bathroom counter, and my clothing. It's extremely fine and I was coughing up a lung over it. It got into the corkscrew of the lid as well so I couldn't tighten it all the way back down, each time I washed and dried the lid and sides off (pain in the butt, by the way) it would somehow creep back so powder would leak out onto my counter and makeup bag anyway. I taped over a bunch of the holes but it still POURS out. I'm not using that term lightly. I would repurchase only to leave the sticker over the holes from the beginning and maybe cut the sticker over one or two holes. And if that didn't work, I would probably smash something because this powder has inconvenienced me one too many times.

on 11/11/2015 7:15:00 AM