NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.8

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

on 10/18/2017 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I've used this for about 4 months, hated it as time went on, now I can't stand using it. It is a very powdery messy formula like flour. I was expecting finely milled but okay, AT FIRST my makeup looks nice so that's fine? Wrong! I have combination skin (oily tzone dry cheeks). Within the 30mins between doing my makeup and leaving the house I look in the mirror and see little patches of shine already gathering in specific areas. At this point it looks okay, slightly too dewy in the wrong places, but okay, so I add more of this flour in just those areas. Two hours later and the foundation has already started to give me new wrinkles. It has faded, moved, migrated, transferred everywhere. Ive used this foundation (Nars - luminous weightless foundation) for years now and it works so great normally, but no matter what I do, how many times I touch up, this powder just seems to *break everything down*. The two products don't work together at all, nor does this powder seem to work with my concealers. It causes my foundation/concealer/anything to crease and wrinkle because it's just slipping and sliding around every crevice on my skin. My makeup literally congeals, there will be shiny blobs of makeup in patches on my forehead. The frustrating thing is, I barely put on any foundation there! But I do powder my TZone a lot, and that is exactly where the pooling hits me worst, these are honestly the places I need least coverage, my cheeks however are scarred and freckled with a lot of redness. And because I have dry skin here I use less powder yet the makeup seems to look less ugly here, but patchy nonetheless. To top off this greasy mess, it has also oxidised, so I'm now looking like I've aged, tanned and melted at work. I don't know why this didn't work for me, as it's worked for many others, but I really gave it a long trial and finally give up on it. I tried to save a few bucks, but I'm going back to the MAC prep+prime finishing powder, which is so much finer, and silky, and actually has true holding power for me without changing the colour of my skin. Thumbs down Nyx.

on 8/26/2017 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I love this powder!!

on 8/7/2017 9:56:00 PM

What a great product! I've used powder foundations and other cheap setting powders in the hopes of controlling my oily T-zone, but they never seem to make it to the end of the day without getting shiny on me. This finishing powder really lasts, even when I start to sweat.

I LOVE this powder! I have oily skin and often go through very long days where I have few opportunities to blot or touch up my foundation. I've tried several mattifying primers and foundations in hopes of staying matte all day, but without this powder I am nothing. I put it on right after my foundation and concealer and it completely seals in anything that, originally, might slide around. On good days, it lasts all day, and on bad days, it lasts for at least seven hours. I usually apply it with a brush, but it works very well when applied with a beauty blender, too, and makes my skin very smooth and soft. That being said, it definitely takes some getting used to when applying, and I can definitely see it being a problem for dryer skin.

No, just no if you have combination skin. This really cakes up in drier areas of my face and really makes my foundation look cakey. No thanks. I'll stick with the pricier Tarte Smooth Operator finishing powder. If you have oily skin, this would work extraordinarily well.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I absolutely hated this powder for not only baking but as a all over loose powder. Ok so the main reason I do not suggest getting this is because when you apply this it changes the color of your foundation darker even though it looks transparent. So if you're planning on using this to set under the eyes it won't lighten it up it will do the opposite. Every time I applied it onto my foundation it suddenly got a shade darker and also orangey looking too. Basically if you're looking to get something to bake and do that lightening up where you apply like I was this is not your shtick. Neither is the mineral one set it don't fret it powder nyx makes that one did the same thing. The only thing I noticed cool about the HD powder is it does kinda blur the area from far away when looking but up close you see it all in the lines built up. BTW This is soo not good for dry skin. It made me get the worst dry patches and it took forever to get rid of them. All in all I had a terrible experience and I definitely don't recommend anyone wasting time/money trying it.

on 4/8/2017 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I liked this product when I first put it on but as the day goes on it gets dry. It feels very drying on the skin, kind of ashy. Doesn't leave any colour but I feel like it pales your skin just the tiniest bit which I don't like. I would perhaps buy it again if the weather gets really hot but not otherwise. My skin is sensitive to drying products though, so if your skin is only a little dry or you have a really oily t-zone then I think it's really good and super cheap!

on 3/15/2017 1:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this product for 3 years now, not everyday but this is one of my staple ones.This has worked for me. I have very, very oily skin.

In my opinion, this powder has very specific, practical and simple job. First of all I am not into baking etc. I kinda hate that trend. I use this alone or on top of my foundation. I use a big, fluffy brush, not the dense and compact brush cos you will end up with white patches all over. Very little amount is needed per use that's why I'm surprised by the many negative reviews. It works well in providing your whole face with a very light shield that I think prevents the oil from going overboard.

This works best on my oily skin as every time I use this, after a few hours, my face just looks dewy. I think the brush you use is the key. For me, it's the big, very loose and soft face brush. I will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I have oily skin (combo in the summer) , and this powder is great for setting everything (as meant to be used for), honestly wish i wouldve found this sooner. Its very very finely milled and easy to blend out. Its the only powder that actually keeps my t-zone shine completely away for longer than 4 hours (with a primer of course) . I warn you though, if you tend to take lots of photos with flash ,either avoid this product or apply only a very light amount . I only wish, for a drugstore item,they gave a little more product ,since its like 9.99 for a small container, but its not a big issue. If you have oily/combo skin type i recommend this! its a good alternative to the high end $35+ HD powders

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

it is ok for powdering your overall face, but it has a super cakey and drying effect when trying to set under-eye concealer or baking.

it is also not matte but contains tiny glitter particles, which is super annoying.