NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.3

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

on 4/8/2017 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I liked this product when I first put it on but as the day goes on it gets dry. It feels very drying on the skin, kind of ashy. Doesn't leave any colour but I feel like it pales your skin just the tiniest bit which I don't like. I would perhaps buy it again if the weather gets really hot but not otherwise. My skin is sensitive to drying products though, so if your skin is only a little dry or you have a really oily t-zone then I think it's really good and super cheap!

I first bought this product intending to use it as an everyday all over setting powder. I quickly discovered that this powder was very mattifying and had a tendency to cake if used with a dense powder brush. It left me with dry looking patches and also gave my face a white cast. The packaging is quite awful - the holes in the sifter are huge so there is always way too much product in the top when you open it, and the powder itself is extremely fine and will fly everywhere when you try to use it. I tried this a few times then threw it in the back of my drawer... Where it sat until I rediscovered it this summer.

During the 40+ degree Celsius days this summer I was having trouble keeping my face matte so pulled this powder out to try again. It works very well as a mattifying overall setting powder if you use a small amount with a fluffy brush, it keeps my face matte for about 8 hours and gives a rather beautiful airbrushed finish. It does lighten my foundation a bit but a bit of bronzer or setting spray fixes that easily. I would not use it to set the undereye - its far too drying for that. You can also set your face with another powder (I like RCMA no colour powder or Rimmel stay matte) and use this in the T zones to help with oil control.

In conclusion this product is great for oil control but has terrible packaging and will leave a slight white cast. Its worth a try for oily girls but bear in mind it will probably flash back in pictures.

I would probably eventually repurchase this if I don't find another powder as mattifying as this one.

on 12/16/2016 11:46:00 PM

Was not impressed. And it was a huge mess. Going back to Laura Mercier

So I bought this product because I needed something to bake with, and before I splurged on the Laura Mercier I wanted to try something more inexpensive. I've read reviews before that this was a great alternative to bake with! This was the worst idea ever.

First of all, it's hard to grab product with the beauty blender, I would dip and dip and nothing would hold onto the sponge. After dipping like a million times, I was finally in the process of baking my face. As the powder set on my face for 10 minutes, my skin automatically felt dry and tight, and I have oily skin so it was the worst feeling to have. And the worst part is trying to dust away the powder. It is the most DIFFICULT thing to do. It's almost like dusting away dried up chalk, and you're left with streaks of white powder. And don't get me started with taking pictures with flash....it was just an overall bad decision.

However, I tried it a second time but not for baking, instead I tried it just as a finishing powder and it did a better job that way but it was still too drying for my face.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

i bought this on a 50% off sale because NYX is pretty expensive where i live,i think this product is so great to set your makeup,my makeup looks smooth and the bronzer blush applies smooth and natural!my contour looks good!i used the body shop honey bronzer and it appears 100000times more natural and good.and then i did a flash test and it gave me flashbacks.which is pretty disappointing.but for what it's worth i think it is best to use it when you're sure that you won't get your photos taken with flash on,so i think i'm going to be repurchasing this one.such a great product

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I like this product a lot. I think it does what it is supposed to do. However, I have dry skin and this did not help it at all. It made my skin a little flaky, and the patches of dry skin were visible. Also, my largest complaint is photography. If you are going somewhere and expect to take pictures, DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT. Flash photography brings out the white in this product. When I wore this product under flash photography, my face was glowing. Not in the positive way. I looked like a ghost, my face was completely powder-white. It ruined all of my photos.

Overall I do like this product because it does make your skin matte and not oily and is transparent (unless you are being photographed with flash photography). I recommend it for people who have oily skin and do not take pictures often.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

This is very finely milled, giving a flawless finish once dusted onto skin after applying makeup. Keeps oily skin matte, a perfect finishing powder.
It does get eveywhere though. I think it might be unavoidable with finely milled powders like this. I use ELF finishing HD powder as well and this lasts longer and looks better but is more expensive for a little less product.
I really love this powder. It really makes your face look flawless and your makeup last much longer.

Love this finishing powder!! Keeps my face matte all day long without over drying, it is my new obsession! I ran errands for hours today and when I came home my face/makeup was still the same as when I left the house! Absolutely fantastic product and great price! I will continue to purchase probably forever!

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I love this and the ELF hd powder, They are the best setting powders I have found for my oily skin. It is really translucent and only leaves the slightest bit of a light cast if I put too much or do not blend enough but it does go away quickly and blends with the skin as it sets.
I like them both ok but think ELF lasts longer on my skin. These are the only ones I will use on my oily skin as nothing else has worked even when compared to high end brands

Update I will stick for Elf as far as this type of powder goes.