NYX Professional Makeup HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.7

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

on 4/25/2018 9:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

I like this A LOT. I have many, many drugstore powders, and this along with my no. 7 Perfect Light loose translucent powder, are the ones I prefer to set under the eyes because they cause the least creasing, can be applied so that they have an almost undetectable finish, and don't make my fine lines stand out. I can sweep my whole face with them as well.

This powder is translucent and matte on my NC 42 skin tone unless I apply a lot and don't sweep it away, in which case it does show up as a sheer, dry, white color. I don't bake with it, and I wouldn't suggest baking with it. It's easy to overdo. A little goes a long way. The packaging is great, comfortable, easy to open, and somehow, never a mess.

Concerning shimmer, it doesn't have any. The NYX MINERAL setting powder may have some, but not this one.

I have repurchased already, and would repurchase again.

seems to set the makeup just fine but i just cant get past the little chunks of shimmer in it. no desire to look like a disco ball. the search continues....

Feels nice on the face, easy to apply but gives a horrible flashback. Never bake with it.

on 1/19/2018 11:22:00 AM

Leaves a white filter on your face & FLASHBACK!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have normal to dry skin, and I don't wear a lot of foundation. My goal is either to set my BB cream with some concealer (usually no under eye correcting except a bit of BB cream) or just to mattify my skin after moisturizer if it looks ok because I like to be matte. I set concealer, under eye area and lids (if I choose to go shadowless) with a smaller brush and then buff everything with a dense kabuki brush.

I'd say this product can do these things but it is not comfortable to use. The result is just average. My lids become shiny very soon. I noticed that if I apply it in the same quantity as other powders it makes me feel much dryer so I learned to use it very lightly because it is easy to overdo. If I apply too much and my skin feels tight I fix it with some face mist. So I definitely don't recommend this to people with dry skin unless you use A LOT of moisturizer before makeup.

As some reviewers stated the powder is both light and finely milled so it goes everywhere and you can easily inhale it which I never ever encountered with any other powder. Also it gets between the lid and the jar so sometimes it won't close at once. The overall experience is messy and annoying.

I don't necessarily think this product is utter disaster and I will use it up but I definitely won't repurchase. If you want an inexpensive translucent powder that will not overdry your skin I recommend looking into Essence All About Matt compact and Lumene loose powder.

on 12/20/2017 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I want to love this product. When applied the powder to my foundation as the last step, it really helps smooth out my skin. However, during application with a big dome brush, the powder falls off everywhere: my table, my shirt, the floor,... Also, the powder evaporate and i inhale it (because I applied it on to my face) and that is not pleasant at all.

I repurchased this the second time ... my first jar literally lasted for 2 years (maybe more? Not sure how long this product has been around.) I think some people might not like it because they're using too much. I don't even swirl my kabuki brush into the container. Usually there's a fine dust of the powder in the cap and I swirl my brush in the remnants of that. If need more I take a smidgeon of it on my pinky (like a small dot of it) and put it in the cap and swirl my brush in it. It takes so, so little product to get the result you need. It literally takes the "dust" of the product on your brush to get the airbrushed effect. If you use more than that, things will start looking cakey and white.

I love how this gives an airbrushed look over just concealer on low key days or on top of foundation for more full coverage. It is $10 and I imagine I won't be needing to repurchase until another 2 years. Just be sure you hold your breath when you open the container bc the dust flies up everywhere. That is my only gripe.

on 11/30/2017 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

If you have dry skin, run, this will emphasize your dry patches. This looked awful on my skin, and is not "HD" as I could see it with my naked eye. I learned long ago to only apply a light dusting of powder, and even a small amount of this just looked terrible. Made my skin look ashy and lifeless.

on 11/15/2017 4:59:00 PM

I needed a new loose powder, and wanted to try the nyx loose powder, because I like nyx. When I’ve tried it on my face, it was drying and the powder was all up in the air, I’ve inhaled a lot. The worst of all is that it has MAJOR flashback, and I’m very pale so for deeper skin tones I think it’s only worse. This is not what a setting powder should be. I suggest you could better use your money for other setting powders.

on 10/19/2017 12:38:00 AM

Good product. Great price. Don’t go wasting your money on some expensive powder. This one does the job.