NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

4.2

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

on 10/18/2017 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I've used this for about 4 months, hated it as time went on, now I can't stand using it. It is a very powdery messy formula like flour. I was expecting finely milled but okay, AT FIRST my makeup looks nice so that's fine? Wrong! I have combination skin (oily tzone dry cheeks). Within the 30mins between doing my makeup and leaving the house I look in the mirror and see little patches of shine already gathering in specific areas. At this point it looks okay, slightly too dewy in the wrong places, but okay, so I add more of this flour in just those areas. Two hours later and the foundation has already started to give me new wrinkles. It has faded, moved, migrated, transferred everywhere. Ive used this foundation (Nars - luminous weightless foundation) for years now and it works so great normally, but no matter what I do, how many times I touch up, this powder just seems to *break everything down*. The two products don't work together at all, nor does this powder seem to work with my concealers. It causes my foundation/concealer/anything to crease and wrinkle because it's just slipping and sliding around every crevice on my skin. My makeup literally congeals, there will be shiny blobs of makeup in patches on my forehead. The frustrating thing is, I barely put on any foundation there! But I do powder my TZone a lot, and that is exactly where the pooling hits me worst, these are honestly the places I need least coverage, my cheeks however are scarred and freckled with a lot of redness. And because I have dry skin here I use less powder yet the makeup seems to look less ugly here, but patchy nonetheless. To top off this greasy mess, it has also oxidised, so I'm now looking like I've aged, tanned and melted at work. I don't know why this didn't work for me, as it's worked for many others, but I really gave it a long trial and finally give up on it. I tried to save a few bucks, but I'm going back to the MAC prep+prime finishing powder, which is so much finer, and silky, and actually has true holding power for me without changing the colour of my skin. Thumbs down Nyx.

on 8/26/2017 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I love this powder!!

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Cool

Love this product for setting concealer around T-zone. Can't see this working well for dry and/or sallow skin types. MUFE is more finely-milled and would be less drying, would also be better for flash photography/events. Great overall HD powder for oily skin. I use a different powder for the dry areas of my face, or if I'm wearing concealer under eyes.

NYX has many good products. But this is a huge fail. First off, the ingredients: Silica seems ok, but I don't understand the parabens. I bet there are other (also cheap) healthier ingredients that could replace these. So far, this is my first Silica powder but I noticed that after I purchase and researching on the net. In the store I tried the tester and I thought: This is such a fine milled powder, plus it says HD, so why not? I used it the next day. Under my eyes and the whole face. I changed nothing about my makeup routine. And the result is awful. What happened? -> my face = blotchy foundation nightmare (it looked like my skin absorbed the foundation like a moisturizer) -> grandma wrinkles on undereyes -> my foundation shade suddenly was 1-2 shades darker (oxidation!) I thought my face changed from combination to dry skin. And I tried to use it sparingly. My BB doesn't grab any product so that's it for me. Even my beloved setting brush by Real Techniques barely grabbed any powder. So I had to dip and dip and dip til I had some on my foundation tool. Ain't nobody got time for that, NYX. Since I can't return it, I'm going to use this for bare face (when my face won't need foundation) or as dry shampoo. Maybe for mattifying lipsticks but let's see. I regret that I bought this powder, and I had high expectations. I'll stay with my fav products by NYX. But I'm going to return to Laura Mercier Translucent Powder. This is expensive but lasts you a long time, does a fine job (you get what you pay for) and you get 29g!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I have oily skin (combo in the summer) , and this powder is great for setting everything (as meant to be used for), honestly wish i wouldve found this sooner. Its very very finely milled and easy to blend out. Its the only powder that actually keeps my t-zone shine completely away for longer than 4 hours (with a primer of course) . I warn you though, if you tend to take lots of photos with flash ,either avoid this product or apply only a very light amount . I only wish, for a drugstore item,they gave a little more product ,since its like 9.99 for a small container, but its not a big issue. If you have oily/combo skin type i recommend this! its a good alternative to the high end $35+ HD powders

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I am somewhat pale (NW15) and combination-dry; this loose, 100% silica powder looks both dry and chalky on me even when applied super-sparingly with a stippling brush. I am hesitant to suggest it as a solo finishing powder unless you are into a matte look, very pale, and have an oilier skin type. I feel like that is a lot of parameters, so I am giving this one a kind of sorry 3/5 rating.

on 10/18/2016 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I'm almost done with my 2nd loose powder from NYX. This powder is absolutely silky and really works to set your foundation. I tried several products including Nars Light Reflecting Loose Setting Powder and Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder both of which are absolutely awesome. NYX to me a cheaper alternative and I definitely recommend it. I don't take selfies often but I have not noticed anything weird in my recent pictures (using NYX powder). I recommend it. Works great on drugstore foundations as well as luxury brands. Works great to set foundation before contouring with powder.

on 5/5/2016 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Maybe they had a formula change? This powder is horrible. Idk what else to say it's just bad, it doesn't blend it's a very heavy white that just sits on your face, the consistency of literal baking soda.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is in fact a wonderful product. I have extremely oily skin and enlarged pores and this powder works great after I use my Ester Lauder foundation. After I set my foundation with this powder I apply my translucent setting powder and that helps to erase the white cast. It absorbs excess oil for long periods and gives a soft finish Will definitely repurchase!

I used to use the e.l.f setting spray by itself but I found that I needed something more to keep my makeup in place. I bought this because it got good reviews and the price wasn't too bad. My makeup didn't budge at all throughout the day. the only con is since its a white 'translucent' powder, it made my contour look less intense than it really was; in other words it made my skin look paler