NYX Professional Makeup HD Studio Finishing Powder

NYX Professional Makeup HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.6

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have normal to dry skin, and I don't wear a lot of foundation. My goal is either to set my BB cream with some concealer (usually no under eye correcting except a bit of BB cream) or just to mattify my skin after moisturizer if it looks ok because I like to be matte. I set concealer, under eye area and lids (if I choose to go shadowless) with a smaller brush and then buff everything with a dense kabuki brush.

I'd say this product can do these things but it is not comfortable to use. The result is just average. My lids become shiny very soon. I noticed that if I apply it in the same quantity as other powders it makes me feel much dryer so I learned to use it very lightly because it is easy to overdo. If I apply too much and my skin feels tight I fix it with some face mist. So I definitely don't recommend this to people with dry skin unless you use A LOT of moisturizer before makeup.

As some reviewers stated the powder is both light and finely milled so it goes everywhere and you can easily inhale it which I never ever encountered with any other powder. Also it gets between the lid and the jar so sometimes it won't close at once. The overall experience is messy and annoying.

I don't necessarily think this product is utter disaster and I will use it up but I definitely won't repurchase. If you want an inexpensive translucent powder that will not overdry your skin I recommend looking into Essence All About Matt compact and Lumene loose powder.

on 11/30/2017 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

If you have dry skin, run, this will emphasize your dry patches. This looked awful on my skin, and is not "HD" as I could see it with my naked eye. I learned long ago to only apply a light dusting of powder, and even a small amount of this just looked terrible. Made my skin look ashy and lifeless.

on 8/25/2017 11:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have quite oily skin, and I do really like this powder. You don't need a lot of it to set your face. Wouldn't recommend if you have normal or dry skin. The flashback though... do not use if you plan to take flash photographs. I use this for long work days when I can forget to touch up, and if gets me through. The packaging could be improved, be careful using it, as it can get messy, but for a cheap product I can't complain.

No, just no if you have combination skin. This really cakes up in drier areas of my face and really makes my foundation look cakey. No thanks. I'll stick with the pricier Tarte Smooth Operator finishing powder. If you have oily skin, this would work extraordinarily well.

on 3/15/2017 1:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this product for 3 years now, not everyday but this is one of my staple ones.This has worked for me. I have very, very oily skin.

In my opinion, this powder has very specific, practical and simple job. First of all I am not into baking etc. I kinda hate that trend. I use this alone or on top of my foundation. I use a big, fluffy brush, not the dense and compact brush cos you will end up with white patches all over. Very little amount is needed per use that's why I'm surprised by the many negative reviews. It works well in providing your whole face with a very light shield that I think prevents the oil from going overboard.

This works best on my oily skin as every time I use this, after a few hours, my face just looks dewy. I think the brush you use is the key. For me, it's the big, very loose and soft face brush. I will definitely repurchase.

on 1/11/2017 5:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This powder is awful! I had been using a talc based powder so I thought silica might be a good change. Sold out in my closest store, so drove further away to buy it. Next day, packed it on, did a little bake, brushed it away and carried on with my usual routine. Ready to leave and my partner stares at me and says "ahhh have you not finished your makeup?" .... and I'm like "excuse me mate? what is wrong with my face!?" so he takes a photo and shows me and it was the WORST flashback! Not only flashback through the camera but I had these fugly white patches that you could only see in certain light. So the only time I used this powder again was to set my white halloween makeup.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

it is ok for powdering your overall face, but it has a super cakey and drying effect when trying to set under-eye concealer or baking.

it is also not matte but contains tiny glitter particles, which is super annoying.

on 10/21/2016 8:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Very good powder, no talc which I love, I put it on BEFORE my foundation. HG loose powder yall

I was looking for something to replace my used up Primed and Poreless loose powder from Too Faced because it was not in stock on the web-site. I like this much better. I used a kabuki brush to apply. If you use a puff, it is difficult to get the product to go on smoothly. ( It takes a bit of practice to use it with a puff.) Anyway, I felt like Too Faced's product just sat on the top of my skin while this seemed to work better to set my foundation. I wouldn't use it to absorb oil though. The container sucks! The holes are too large and it's easy to spill the product. I recommend using it while sitting down, keeping it right side up and carefully opening it, or just transfer it to a better container.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I've been searching for a setting powder that doesn't irritate or breakout my skin so I picked this up at Target for $10 because I wanted to go talc-free this time, and this one seemed to have favorable reviews on here.

I was skeptical though, because this stuff only has one ingredient: silica (they have apparently cut out the parabens). I really wish I had followed my instincts cause this stuff does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me. Like literally, I see no difference whatsoever after i apply it. Even applying loads of it just leaves faint white smudges that rub in and disappear with no discernible effect. I can get the same finish by brushing a clean (makeup free) brush over my face.

Maybe my face is just too oily for this stuff to do anything to it? Or maybe i'm using it wrong? Is there some sort of secret to this stuff? If there is, it eludes me. I really want my $10 back...