NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.5

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

I you're planning on getting a powder to bake your face with, in a proper Instagram fashion, definitely don't buy this!
If you're looking to achieve a blurred-out-pore effect on your selfies using this powder, you're better off with an app. You will, nonetheless, achieve a blurred-out-pore effect in real life. <3

This powder is MAGNIFICENT at setting a light layer of foundation in, to even out and mattify for a natural looking finish. I use Dior's Diorskin Forever Perfect Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 35 in Ivory, and haven't changed brands for years. After a few Summers I realized that, as much as I hate heavy makeup, a finishing powder was due for me. I like YSL's Poudre Compact Radiance for the colder months, but in Summer it can all get a bit too much, and breaking a sweat under all that is not a very good beauty scenario. Can you imagine wearing 2 layers of makeup to the beach? Yuck (But one layer along with a dash of this finishing powder, thats' a perfect marriage to give your natural beauty an extra kick that last and beats shine caused by oil production.)

I have found this is better applied with a big loose brush, and a little goes a long way. I ensure there are no residues with the feel of my hands, then I'm good to do. Remember, this is best used as the very last step in your makeup routine, unless you're up for a special night out and you'll sprinkle a bit of glitter on it all, then go dancing.

Sometimes I do forget, and I have to apply my blush on top of this powder (Mornings, hehe) but I definitely get a more even, controllable and blendable application under it. Once again this is a FINISHING powder.

There are endless high end brands that carry finishing powders like YSL (Compact) Laura Mercier (Loose), but at the end of the day I personally prefer to invest my money on the things that are closer to my skin, like moisturizer and foundation. It works great on top of all the goodness underneath when used properly, so I'd say: Great value for money :)

This is probably the worst powder i have ever tried... it dried up my skin so badly and it didn't even set my concealer right..
Other than that it had major flashback... no matter how i used it, it would always flash back..
I have used it several times because i really wanted it to work, but my skin got really dry after i used this product and every time i took a photo i had a major white cast...

So maybe it works well for people with oily skin, just make sure to not take photos with flash on..

I LOVE this powder! I have oily skin and often go through very long days where I have few opportunities to blot or touch up my foundation. I've tried several mattifying primers and foundations in hopes of staying matte all day, but without this powder I am nothing. I put it on right after my foundation and concealer and it completely seals in anything that, originally, might slide around. On good days, it lasts all day, and on bad days, it lasts for at least seven hours. I usually apply it with a brush, but it works very well when applied with a beauty blender, too, and makes my skin very smooth and soft. That being said, it definitely takes some getting used to when applying, and I can definitely see it being a problem for dryer skin.

No, just no if you have combination skin. This really cakes up in drier areas of my face and really makes my foundation look cakey. No thanks. I'll stick with the pricier Tarte Smooth Operator finishing powder. If you have oily skin, this would work extraordinarily well.

NYX has many good products. But this is a huge fail. First off, the ingredients: Silica seems ok, but I don't understand the parabens. I bet there are other (also cheap) healthier ingredients that could replace these. So far, this is my first Silica powder but I noticed that after I purchase and researching on the net. In the store I tried the tester and I thought: This is such a fine milled powder, plus it says HD, so why not? I used it the next day. Under my eyes and the whole face. I changed nothing about my makeup routine. And the result is awful. What happened? -> my face = blotchy foundation nightmare (it looked like my skin absorbed the foundation like a moisturizer) -> grandma wrinkles on undereyes -> my foundation shade suddenly was 1-2 shades darker (oxidation!) I thought my face changed from combination to dry skin. And I tried to use it sparingly. My BB doesn't grab any product so that's it for me. Even my beloved setting brush by Real Techniques barely grabbed any powder. So I had to dip and dip and dip til I had some on my foundation tool. Ain't nobody got time for that, NYX. Since I can't return it, I'm going to use this for bare face (when my face won't need foundation) or as dry shampoo. Maybe for mattifying lipsticks but let's see. I regret that I bought this powder, and I had high expectations. I'll stay with my fav products by NYX. But I'm going to return to Laura Mercier Translucent Powder. This is expensive but lasts you a long time, does a fine job (you get what you pay for) and you get 29g!

on 3/15/2017 1:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this product for 3 years now, not everyday but this is one of my staple ones.This has worked for me. I have very, very oily skin.

In my opinion, this powder has very specific, practical and simple job. First of all I am not into baking etc. I kinda hate that trend. I use this alone or on top of my foundation. I use a big, fluffy brush, not the dense and compact brush cos you will end up with white patches all over. Very little amount is needed per use that's why I'm surprised by the many negative reviews. It works well in providing your whole face with a very light shield that I think prevents the oil from going overboard.

This works best on my oily skin as every time I use this, after a few hours, my face just looks dewy. I think the brush you use is the key. For me, it's the big, very loose and soft face brush. I will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

worst loose powder ever. tried it to bake the undereyes and it left the worst flashback & white patches ever. it IS very smooth but i had to dip my sponge several times because it wouldn't grip to it. and when i applied it with a brush to set everything else, the powder was just all over the place & so messy. definitely wouldn't recommend this 👎

on 1/13/2017 6:15:00 AM

Awful product. States it will 'absorb oil' but absorbs so much of my concealer and leaves me with awful white patches where it has been applied. Feels so dry and cakey. Do not recommend.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

it is ok for powdering your overall face, but it has a super cakey and drying effect when trying to set under-eye concealer or baking.

it is also not matte but contains tiny glitter particles, which is super annoying.

on 10/21/2016 8:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Very good powder, no talc which I love, I put it on BEFORE my foundation. HG loose powder yall