NYX Professional Makeup HD Studio Finishing Powder

NYX Professional Makeup HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.5

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wanted to love this. Honestly, I'm getting ready to go to Asia for 2 weeks this fall with my husband, and I bought this because I wanted to save some money (rather than re-upping on my trusty Makeup Forever). Eeek. I don't even have particularly dry skin, and this stuff is a dumpster fire. In an effort to give some perspective -- I moisturize as part of my cleansing routine, I prime and I use a tinted sunscreen/moisturizer (Tarte) in lieu of a foundation. My face feels so hideously dry that I'm honestly debating washing my face and just going barefaced at work today -- it's that bad. It isn't particularly finely milled and the smell is somewhat off-putting (although I could get around all of that if it was a good product -- it's not). I used a light hand and a very fluffy Sephora Professional powder brush, so it's not an issue of not understanding how to apply it/use it. I'd like to think I just got a bad batch, because this is the first NYX product I haven't loved -- let alone loathed. If I still had my receipt, I'd be returning this, but I don't, so it's going in the trash. I can't (in good conscience) give this away to anyone. Yikes.

seems to set the makeup just fine but i just cant get past the little chunks of shimmer in it. no desire to look like a disco ball. the search continues....

on 1/19/2018 11:22:00 AM

Leaves a white filter on your face & FLASHBACK!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have normal to dry skin, and I don't wear a lot of foundation. My goal is either to set my BB cream with some concealer (usually no under eye correcting except a bit of BB cream) or just to mattify my skin after moisturizer if it looks ok because I like to be matte. I set concealer, under eye area and lids (if I choose to go shadowless) with a smaller brush and then buff everything with a dense kabuki brush.

I'd say this product can do these things but it is not comfortable to use. The result is just average. My lids become shiny very soon. I noticed that if I apply it in the same quantity as other powders it makes me feel much dryer so I learned to use it very lightly because it is easy to overdo. If I apply too much and my skin feels tight I fix it with some face mist. So I definitely don't recommend this to people with dry skin unless you use A LOT of moisturizer before makeup.

As some reviewers stated the powder is both light and finely milled so it goes everywhere and you can easily inhale it which I never ever encountered with any other powder. Also it gets between the lid and the jar so sometimes it won't close at once. The overall experience is messy and annoying.

I don't necessarily think this product is utter disaster and I will use it up but I definitely won't repurchase. If you want an inexpensive translucent powder that will not overdry your skin I recommend looking into Essence All About Matt compact and Lumene loose powder.

I repurchased this the second time ... my first jar literally lasted for 2 years (maybe more? Not sure how long this product has been around.) I think some people might not like it because they're using too much. I don't even swirl my kabuki brush into the container. Usually there's a fine dust of the powder in the cap and I swirl my brush in the remnants of that. If need more I take a smidgeon of it on my pinky (like a small dot of it) and put it in the cap and swirl my brush in it. It takes so, so little product to get the result you need. It literally takes the "dust" of the product on your brush to get the airbrushed effect. If you use more than that, things will start looking cakey and white.

I love how this gives an airbrushed look over just concealer on low key days or on top of foundation for more full coverage. It is $10 and I imagine I won't be needing to repurchase until another 2 years. Just be sure you hold your breath when you open the container bc the dust flies up everywhere. That is my only gripe.

I you're planning on getting a powder to bake your face with, in a proper Instagram fashion, definitely don't buy this!
If you're looking to achieve a blurred-out-pore effect on your selfies using this powder, you're better off with an app. You will, nonetheless, achieve a blurred-out-pore effect in real life. <3

This powder is MAGNIFICENT at setting a light layer of foundation in, to even out and mattify for a natural looking finish. I use Dior's Diorskin Forever Perfect Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 35 in Ivory, and haven't changed brands for years. After a few Summers I realized that, as much as I hate heavy makeup, a finishing powder was due for me. I like YSL's Poudre Compact Radiance for the colder months, but in Summer it can all get a bit too much, and breaking a sweat under all that is not a very good beauty scenario. Can you imagine wearing 2 layers of makeup to the beach? Yuck (But one layer along with a dash of this finishing powder, thats' a perfect marriage to give your natural beauty an extra kick that last and beats shine caused by oil production.)

I have found this is better applied with a big loose brush, and a little goes a long way. I ensure there are no residues with the feel of my hands, then I'm good to do. Remember, this is best used as the very last step in your makeup routine, unless you're up for a special night out and you'll sprinkle a bit of glitter on it all, then go dancing.

Sometimes I do forget, and I have to apply my blush on top of this powder (Mornings, hehe) but I definitely get a more even, controllable and blendable application under it. Once again this is a FINISHING powder.

There are endless high end brands that carry finishing powders like YSL (Compact) Laura Mercier (Loose), but at the end of the day I personally prefer to invest my money on the things that are closer to my skin, like moisturizer and foundation. It works great on top of all the goodness underneath when used properly, so I'd say: Great value for money :)

This is probably the worst powder i have ever tried... it dried up my skin so badly and it didn't even set my concealer right..
Other than that it had major flashback... no matter how i used it, it would always flash back..
I have used it several times because i really wanted it to work, but my skin got really dry after i used this product and every time i took a photo i had a major white cast...

So maybe it works well for people with oily skin, just make sure to not take photos with flash on..

I LOVE this powder! I have oily skin and often go through very long days where I have few opportunities to blot or touch up my foundation. I've tried several mattifying primers and foundations in hopes of staying matte all day, but without this powder I am nothing. I put it on right after my foundation and concealer and it completely seals in anything that, originally, might slide around. On good days, it lasts all day, and on bad days, it lasts for at least seven hours. I usually apply it with a brush, but it works very well when applied with a beauty blender, too, and makes my skin very smooth and soft. That being said, it definitely takes some getting used to when applying, and I can definitely see it being a problem for dryer skin.

No, just no if you have combination skin. This really cakes up in drier areas of my face and really makes my foundation look cakey. No thanks. I'll stick with the pricier Tarte Smooth Operator finishing powder. If you have oily skin, this would work extraordinarily well.

NYX has many good products. But this is a huge fail. First off, the ingredients: Silica seems ok, but I don't understand the parabens. I bet there are other (also cheap) healthier ingredients that could replace these. So far, this is my first Silica powder but I noticed that after I purchase and researching on the net. In the store I tried the tester and I thought: This is such a fine milled powder, plus it says HD, so why not? I used it the next day. Under my eyes and the whole face. I changed nothing about my makeup routine. And the result is awful. What happened? -> my face = blotchy foundation nightmare (it looked like my skin absorbed the foundation like a moisturizer) -> grandma wrinkles on undereyes -> my foundation shade suddenly was 1-2 shades darker (oxidation!) I thought my face changed from combination to dry skin. And I tried to use it sparingly. My BB doesn't grab any product so that's it for me. Even my beloved setting brush by Real Techniques barely grabbed any powder. So I had to dip and dip and dip til I had some on my foundation tool. Ain't nobody got time for that, NYX. Since I can't return it, I'm going to use this for bare face (when my face won't need foundation) or as dry shampoo. Maybe for mattifying lipsticks but let's see. I regret that I bought this powder, and I had high expectations. I'll stay with my fav products by NYX. But I'm going to return to Laura Mercier Translucent Powder. This is expensive but lasts you a long time, does a fine job (you get what you pay for) and you get 29g!