NYX Professional Makeup HD Studio Finishing Powder

NYX Professional Makeup HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.7

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wanted to love this. Honestly, I'm getting ready to go to Asia for 2 weeks this fall with my husband, and I bought this because I wanted to save some money (rather than re-upping on my trusty Makeup Forever). Eeek. I don't even have particularly dry skin, and this stuff is a dumpster fire. In an effort to give some perspective -- I moisturize as part of my cleansing routine, I prime and I use a tinted sunscreen/moisturizer (Tarte) in lieu of a foundation. My face feels so hideously dry that I'm honestly debating washing my face and just going barefaced at work today -- it's that bad. It isn't particularly finely milled and the smell is somewhat off-putting (although I could get around all of that if it was a good product -- it's not). I used a light hand and a very fluffy Sephora Professional powder brush, so it's not an issue of not understanding how to apply it/use it. I'd like to think I just got a bad batch, because this is the first NYX product I haven't loved -- let alone loathed. If I still had my receipt, I'd be returning this, but I don't, so it's going in the trash. I can't (in good conscience) give this away to anyone. Yikes.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

The powder has a little bit of a smell, not much though. It’s only bad if you accidentally inhale a large amount through your nose.
The powder has some flashback, and if you turn your face a certain way, it becomes flashback Mary. If you use it in light dustings it’s not too bad, but there’s still that “flashback”.

It also sticks. Like I’ll be brushing away the powder after a baking and there will be this patch that won’t go away. Saying that...

DONT use it as setting powder, ie baking your undereyes. You will end up looking like a polar bear. Though, saying that, it’s not a setting powder, it’s a finishing powder and is not meant for setting makeup. But you know, if you don’t have your setting powder, you gotta use the next best thing.

Other than that. The powder is extremely silky and soft. When I first got it, I put some on my hand as a swatch test, and I was mesmerized. So smooth.
It is also very matte, for those oily skin users.

In addition, I’ll use the powder under my makeup (over liquids) to blur redness and acne, because it does a great job at that.

on 5/30/2018 9:29:00 AM

This is a FINISHING powder. Not a setting powder. Those saying not to bake with this are clueless. Finishing powders are not meant to bake with and set foundation. Finishing powders are meant to FINISHING your makeup. A light dusting at the very end. Use a SETTING powder to set with. Educate yourselves before leaving cap reviews.
When used properly there is no flashback. Nice silky texture.

on 4/25/2018 9:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Second Update 2018----
I have a ton of drugstore powders and this is my favorite one for setting. I love using it with matte foundations because silica is super absorbent allowing me to quickly set areas with concealer using a small amount of product on a brush (I use the Elf Blush brush). Whatever is left on the brush I distribute on the rest of the face. In this small amount, it's almost undetectable but still effective. Using a lot of powder with matte foundations can be a disaster, and with this one you don't have to.

As I've gotten older my tinted loose powders make my fine lines look worse, and if the powder is too heavy (like the Maybelline Fit me powder) it just adds unwanted texture to my skin oftentimes). What I do now is use this HD loose powder to se my liquid/cream products, and then I use one of my tinted powders conservatively, on unwrinkled areas, for the blurring effect. Will repurchase :3

Update 2018 --------

I'm bumping this up to five stars. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this powder. It's translucent and when applied properly close to undetectable. What you WILL see is the mattifying effect it has. From rotating my powders I've noticed this one is SUPER absorbent. You only need a little. It seems Silica (the sole ingredient in this powder) is waaay more absorbent than say, talc.

The best way (and the only way I would suggest) to use this to set makeup, is in a THIN layer. Do not bake with this, you will look super dried up. You also need a soft brush. Most of my brushes are not soft enough and when I go to sweep powder on, they remove foundation and cream contour; you get one of those "where did the coverage go?" moments. So aim for a thin layer and use a VERY soft brush to sweep it on, or EVEN BETTER use a soft flat brush, a velour puff, or a dry sponge and PAT PAT on the powder all over before sweeping softly. To set concealer I use the WET N WILD fluffy Crease brush (white handle) which is amazing for applying a thin even layer of powder around the eye area to set concealer and eye primer, or just any flat foundation brush.

The other great thing about this powder, besides its invisibility act and incredible absorbency, is that its ONE ingredient. A dream for my acne-prone skin. So I tested this powder on its own and it didn't clog my pores. So silica milled to this size is ACNE SAFE (for me). What that means is that I can use this powder to test foundations and color products for comedogenicity, and know FOR SURE, this wasn't the culprit. Which is awesome. I Prime my face with a thin layer of this over my skincare, and I finish my makeup with a thin layer of this which is great for my oily skin without committing the sin of piling on too much of such an absorbent powder. If I put too much my face feels dry and tight, and I have oily skin.

Also concerning shimmer, it doesn't have any. The NYX MINERAL setting powder may have some, but not this one. The mineral setting powder breaks me out, this one doesn't.

I have repurchased already and I would repurchase. The only skin type I would not recommend this to is Very Dry skin. You don't need such an absorbent powder, you need something weaker with less silica, or no silica. Probably something Talc, or Mica based, or even a luminous pressed powder, because those can have oils and silicones added to them, which makes them even less absorbent/drying, something like the Charlotte Tilbury Skin Perfecting Micro-Powder.

seems to set the makeup just fine but i just cant get past the little chunks of shimmer in it. no desire to look like a disco ball. the search continues....

Feels nice on the face, easy to apply but gives a horrible flashback. Never bake with it.

on 1/19/2018 11:22:00 AM

Leaves a white filter on your face & FLASHBACK!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have normal to dry skin, and I don't wear a lot of foundation. My goal is either to set my BB cream with some concealer (usually no under eye correcting except a bit of BB cream) or just to mattify my skin after moisturizer if it looks ok because I like to be matte. I set concealer, under eye area and lids (if I choose to go shadowless) with a smaller brush and then buff everything with a dense kabuki brush.

I'd say this product can do these things but it is not comfortable to use. The result is just average. My lids become shiny very soon. I noticed that if I apply it in the same quantity as other powders it makes me feel much dryer so I learned to use it very lightly because it is easy to overdo. If I apply too much and my skin feels tight I fix it with some face mist. So I definitely don't recommend this to people with dry skin unless you use A LOT of moisturizer before makeup.

As some reviewers stated the powder is both light and finely milled so it goes everywhere and you can easily inhale it which I never ever encountered with any other powder. Also it gets between the lid and the jar so sometimes it won't close at once. The overall experience is messy and annoying.

I don't necessarily think this product is utter disaster and I will use it up but I definitely won't repurchase. If you want an inexpensive translucent powder that will not overdry your skin I recommend looking into Essence All About Matt compact and Lumene loose powder.

on 12/20/2017 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I want to love this product. When applied the powder to my foundation as the last step, it really helps smooth out my skin. However, during application with a big dome brush, the powder falls off everywhere: my table, my shirt, the floor,... Also, the powder evaporate and i inhale it (because I applied it on to my face) and that is not pleasant at all.

I repurchased this the second time ... my first jar literally lasted for 2 years (maybe more? Not sure how long this product has been around.) I think some people might not like it because they're using too much. I don't even swirl my kabuki brush into the container. Usually there's a fine dust of the powder in the cap and I swirl my brush in the remnants of that. If need more I take a smidgeon of it on my pinky (like a small dot of it) and put it in the cap and swirl my brush in it. It takes so, so little product to get the result you need. It literally takes the "dust" of the product on your brush to get the airbrushed effect. If you use more than that, things will start looking cakey and white.

I love how this gives an airbrushed look over just concealer on low key days or on top of foundation for more full coverage. It is $10 and I imagine I won't be needing to repurchase until another 2 years. Just be sure you hold your breath when you open the container bc the dust flies up everywhere. That is my only gripe.