NYX Professional Makeup HD Studio Finishing Powder

NYX Professional Makeup HD Studio Finishing Powder

2.8

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wanted to love this. Honestly, I'm getting ready to go to Asia for 2 weeks this fall with my husband, and I bought this because I wanted to save some money (rather than re-upping on my trusty Makeup Forever). Eeek. I don't even have particularly dry skin, and this stuff is a dumpster fire. In an effort to give some perspective -- I moisturize as part of my cleansing routine, I prime and I use a tinted sunscreen/moisturizer (Tarte) in lieu of a foundation. My face feels so hideously dry that I'm honestly debating washing my face and just going barefaced at work today -- it's that bad. It isn't particularly finely milled and the smell is somewhat off-putting (although I could get around all of that if it was a good product -- it's not). I used a light hand and a very fluffy Sephora Professional powder brush, so it's not an issue of not understanding how to apply it/use it. I'd like to think I just got a bad batch, because this is the first NYX product I haven't loved -- let alone loathed. If I still had my receipt, I'd be returning this, but I don't, so it's going in the trash. I can't (in good conscience) give this away to anyone. Yikes.

on 11/30/2017 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

If you have dry skin, run, this will emphasize your dry patches. This looked awful on my skin, and is not "HD" as I could see it with my naked eye. I learned long ago to only apply a light dusting of powder, and even a small amount of this just looked terrible. Made my skin look ashy and lifeless.

on 2/22/2017 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

My skin in nc50. This banana powder left me with a white ghost face. Not good for darker skin. Definitely not as good as Ben Nye banana powder

on 1/11/2017 5:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This powder is awful! I had been using a talc based powder so I thought silica might be a good change. Sold out in my closest store, so drove further away to buy it. Next day, packed it on, did a little bake, brushed it away and carried on with my usual routine. Ready to leave and my partner stares at me and says "ahhh have you not finished your makeup?" .... and I'm like "excuse me mate? what is wrong with my face!?" so he takes a photo and shows me and it was the WORST flashback! Not only flashback through the camera but I had these fugly white patches that you could only see in certain light. So the only time I used this powder again was to set my white halloween makeup.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I'm super pale so the translucent shade doesn't give me a white cast, my skin is already like that...but this packaging was a complete nightmare for me. I would consider myself a relatively competent person but at the first unscrew after removing the sticker over the holes it exploded all over me, my bathroom counter, and my clothing. It's extremely fine and I was coughing up a lung over it. It got into the corkscrew of the lid as well so I couldn't tighten it all the way back down, each time I washed and dried the lid and sides off (pain in the butt, by the way) it would somehow creep back so powder would leak out onto my counter and makeup bag anyway. I taped over a bunch of the holes but it still POURS out. I'm not using that term lightly. I would repurchase only to leave the sticker over the holes from the beginning and maybe cut the sticker over one or two holes. And if that didn't work, I would probably smash something because this powder has inconvenienced me one too many times.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is in fact a wonderful product. I have extremely oily skin and enlarged pores and this powder works great after I use my Ester Lauder foundation. After I set my foundation with this powder I apply my translucent setting powder and that helps to erase the white cast. It absorbs excess oil for long periods and gives a soft finish Will definitely repurchase!

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Holy grail, after using a dozen different types of powders from various brands I found it. I picked this one up in a hurry without great expectations, but it does everything I want from a setting powder and more. Invisible, completely matt and unsticky face, sets make up perfectly, even your lipstick if u like it to. Flawless and matte for hours, I will buy it as long as they make it.

Shade ref: I got it in transparent as I'm quite pale (nc15-20) and I'm happy to say it doesn't show up in my pores like most transparent powders do.

Eyes: Violet

I bought this product based on the great reviews. The great thing about this pure silica powder is the price. You get a whole jar for only $10. The bad is that it causes so much itching at the end of the day, I cannot wear it. It is extremely drying accentuating all the flakiness and fine lines. The white cast is hideous. It's not even a healthy white color. It's a death whitish grey color you find at the funeral homes. I simply do not understand all the great reviews. I might consider using this a s a halloween makeup if it didn't cause too much itch on my skin.

UPDATE: My face is now ruined because of some severe reaction to this product. It is totally red and inflamed. Proceed with caution if you have sensitive skin and test on small area of the body first before applying all over the face. I haven't used any new product or eaten anything different. I have to get some prescription hydrocortisone to ease the inflammation from this product.

on 5/8/2014 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Itchy..caused clogged pores
wish it worked out :(

on 2/12/2014 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a fabulous finishing powder that is less than a third of the price of a high end HD powder I formerly used. It appears to be exactly the same product as my former fave I purchased at Sephora. $10 vs. $30+? I will take it! Finishes and sets makeup beautifully. I use the white one (translucent) but have no issues with a white cast; it actually give a matte, lovely glow . Ladies give it a whirl - I don't think you will be disappointed.