NYX Professional Makeup HD Studio Finishing Powder

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

on 4/25/2018 9:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Update 2018 --------

I'm bumping this up to five stars. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this powder. It's translucent and when applied properly almost undetectable. What you WILL see is the mattifying effect it has. From rotating my powders I've noticed this one is SUPER absorbent. You only need a little. It seems Silica (the sole ingredient in this powder) is waaay more absorbent than say, talc.

The best way (and only way I would suggest) to use this to set makeup, is in a THIN layer. Do not bake with this, you will look so, so dried up. You also need a soft brush. Most of my brushes are not soft enough and when I go to sweep powder on, they remove foundation and cream contour; you get one of those "where did the coverage go?" moments. So aim for a thin layer and use a VERY soft brush to sweep it on, or EVEN BETTER use a soft flat brush, soft powder brush, or dry sponge and PAT PAT on the powder all over before sweeping softly. To set concealer I use the WET N WILD fluffy Crease brush (white handle) which is amazing for applying a thin even layer of powder around the eye area to set concealer and eye primer.

The other great thing about this powder, besides its invisibility act and incredible absorbency, is that its ONE ingredient. A dream for my acne-prone skin. So I tested this powder on its own and it didn't clog my pores. So silica milled to this size is ACNE SAFE (for me). What that means is that I can use this powder to test foundations and color products for comedogenicity, and know FOR SURE, this wasn't the culprit. Which is awesome. I Prime my face with a thin layer of this over my skincare, and I finish my makeup with a thin layer of this which is great for my oily skin without committing the sin of piling on too much of such an absorbent powder. If I put too much my face feels dry and tight, and I have oily skin.

Also concerning shimmer, it doesn't have any. The NYX MINERAL setting powder may have some, but not this one. The mineral setting powder breaks me out, this one doesn't.

I have repurchased already and I would repurchase. The only skin type I would not recommend this to is Dry skin. You don't need such an absorbent powder, you need something weaker with less silica, or no silica. Probably something Talc, or Mica based, or even a luminous pressed powder, because those can have oils and silicones added to them, which makes them even less absorbent/drying, something like the Charlotte Tilbury Skin Perfecting Micro-Powder.

I repurchased this the second time ... my first jar literally lasted for 2 years (maybe more? Not sure how long this product has been around.) I think some people might not like it because they're using too much. I don't even swirl my kabuki brush into the container. Usually there's a fine dust of the powder in the cap and I swirl my brush in the remnants of that. If need more I take a smidgeon of it on my pinky (like a small dot of it) and put it in the cap and swirl my brush in it. It takes so, so little product to get the result you need. It literally takes the "dust" of the product on your brush to get the airbrushed effect. If you use more than that, things will start looking cakey and white.

I love how this gives an airbrushed look over just concealer on low key days or on top of foundation for more full coverage. It is $10 and I imagine I won't be needing to repurchase until another 2 years. Just be sure you hold your breath when you open the container bc the dust flies up everywhere. That is my only gripe.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

this powder is aweful. DO NOT use it if you plan on taking pictures with flash on. it leaves terrible flashback on your face!!

on 2/26/2017 5:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Overall a nice product. Keeps my face pretty matte for a good while, and even keeps my rather oily nose matte for about 5-6 hours (I have combo skin).
I used it the other day before going to a party, and it lasted from around 1pm till 3am with minimal caking and oiliness. (Disclaimer: I was a little drunk at 3am so it might've looked better through my beergoggles, lol)

The container is quite messy, because you can't "lock" the powder in the inside, like you can with the GOSH Prime'n'set (if you're familiar with the packaging), so you'll most likely get white powder everywhere - so stay away from it if you're wearing a black top.

It's very finely milled in my opinion, especially when compared to the GOSH Prime'n'set which feels kinda heavy on the skin, and isn't suitable for baking, if you ask me.
I haven't tried baking with this product yet though, so I don't know if it's suitable for that.

All in all a nice setting powder, which I'll likely repurchase once I run out of it, if I don't find a better one.

on 10/21/2016 8:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Very good powder, no talc which I love, I put it on BEFORE my foundation. HG loose powder yall

This powder makes my skin feel sooo silky and look almost airbrushed, however, it explodes into a cloud of dust every time I use it!! I use a sponge and it still gets all over the place, I can't imagine trying to use a brush with it! It also makes my face look lighter despite being "translucent", so I can see where other reviewers are coming from with the flash photography making them look super white. The pros outweigh the cons for me though!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I've been searching for a setting powder that doesn't irritate or breakout my skin so I picked this up at Target for $10 because I wanted to go talc-free this time, and this one seemed to have favorable reviews on here.

I was skeptical though, because this stuff only has one ingredient: silica (they have apparently cut out the parabens). I really wish I had followed my instincts cause this stuff does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me. Like literally, I see no difference whatsoever after i apply it. Even applying loads of it just leaves faint white smudges that rub in and disappear with no discernible effect. I can get the same finish by brushing a clean (makeup free) brush over my face.

Maybe my face is just too oily for this stuff to do anything to it? Or maybe i'm using it wrong? Is there some sort of secret to this stuff? If there is, it eludes me. I really want my $10 back...

I absolutely adore this setting powder. It's my HG. This silica powder is the perfect consistency and has the power to transform the wear of BB creams and foundations that I need more wear and matteness out of. It's versatile, excellent texture, my sensitive, acne-prone skin is totally non-reactive to it and I just love how it feels and looks. A+!

This stuff kinda sucks. It goes everywhere and it feels like I'm applying nothing. It's really hard to get on your brush or beauty blender (whatever you're using). I bought this hoping to be able to bake with it but i almost died from inhaling too much of it, so its a no go for me

on 12/10/2015 5:56:00 PM

I picked this product up because of the price, looking for something new to set my makeup. This product makes your face white and powdery with the flash on. Not a good look :/.