NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.9

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

on 10/19/2017 12:38:00 AM

Good product. Great price. Don’t go wasting your money on some expensive powder. This one does the job.

on 10/18/2017 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I've used this for about 4 months, hated it as time went on, now I can't stand using it. It is a very powdery messy formula like flour. I was expecting finely milled but okay, AT FIRST my makeup looks nice so that's fine? Wrong! I have combination skin (oily tzone dry cheeks). Within the 30mins between doing my makeup and leaving the house I look in the mirror and see little patches of shine already gathering in specific areas. At this point it looks okay, slightly too dewy in the wrong places, but okay, so I add more of this flour in just those areas. Two hours later and the foundation has already started to give me new wrinkles. It has faded, moved, migrated, transferred everywhere. Ive used this foundation (Nars - luminous weightless foundation) for years now and it works so great normally, but no matter what I do, how many times I touch up, this powder just seems to *break everything down*. The two products don't work together at all, nor does this powder seem to work with my concealers. It causes my foundation/concealer/anything to crease and wrinkle because it's just slipping and sliding around every crevice on my skin. My makeup literally congeals, there will be shiny blobs of makeup in patches on my forehead. The frustrating thing is, I barely put on any foundation there! But I do powder my TZone a lot, and that is exactly where the pooling hits me worst, these are honestly the places I need least coverage, my cheeks however are scarred and freckled with a lot of redness. And because I have dry skin here I use less powder yet the makeup seems to look less ugly here, but patchy nonetheless. To top off this greasy mess, it has also oxidised, so I'm now looking like I've aged, tanned and melted at work. I don't know why this didn't work for me, as it's worked for many others, but I really gave it a long trial and finally give up on it. I tried to save a few bucks, but I'm going back to the MAC prep+prime finishing powder, which is so much finer, and silky, and actually has true holding power for me without changing the colour of my skin. Thumbs down Nyx.

on 8/7/2017 9:56:00 PM

What a great product! I've used powder foundations and other cheap setting powders in the hopes of controlling my oily T-zone, but they never seem to make it to the end of the day without getting shiny on me. This finishing powder really lasts, even when I start to sweat.

I you're planning on getting a powder to bake your face with, in a proper Instagram fashion, definitely don't buy this!
If you're looking to achieve a blurred-out-pore effect on your selfies using this powder, you're better off with an app. You will, nonetheless, achieve a blurred-out-pore effect in real life. <3

This powder is MAGNIFICENT at setting a light layer of foundation in, to even out and mattify for a natural looking finish. I use Dior's Diorskin Forever Perfect Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 35 in Ivory, and haven't changed brands for years. After a few Summers I realized that, as much as I hate heavy makeup, a finishing powder was due for me. I like YSL's Poudre Compact Radiance for the colder months, but in Summer it can all get a bit too much, and breaking a sweat under all that is not a very good beauty scenario. Can you imagine wearing 2 layers of makeup to the beach? Yuck (But one layer along with a dash of this finishing powder, thats' a perfect marriage to give your natural beauty an extra kick that last and beats shine caused by oil production.)

I have found this is better applied with a big loose brush, and a little goes a long way. I ensure there are no residues with the feel of my hands, then I'm good to do. Remember, this is best used as the very last step in your makeup routine, unless you're up for a special night out and you'll sprinkle a bit of glitter on it all, then go dancing.

Sometimes I do forget, and I have to apply my blush on top of this powder (Mornings, hehe) but I definitely get a more even, controllable and blendable application under it. Once again this is a FINISHING powder.

There are endless high end brands that carry finishing powders like YSL (Compact) Laura Mercier (Loose), but at the end of the day I personally prefer to invest my money on the things that are closer to my skin, like moisturizer and foundation. It works great on top of all the goodness underneath when used properly, so I'd say: Great value for money :)

I LOVE this powder! I have oily skin and often go through very long days where I have few opportunities to blot or touch up my foundation. I've tried several mattifying primers and foundations in hopes of staying matte all day, but without this powder I am nothing. I put it on right after my foundation and concealer and it completely seals in anything that, originally, might slide around. On good days, it lasts all day, and on bad days, it lasts for at least seven hours. I usually apply it with a brush, but it works very well when applied with a beauty blender, too, and makes my skin very smooth and soft. That being said, it definitely takes some getting used to when applying, and I can definitely see it being a problem for dryer skin.

No, just no if you have combination skin. This really cakes up in drier areas of my face and really makes my foundation look cakey. No thanks. I'll stick with the pricier Tarte Smooth Operator finishing powder. If you have oily skin, this would work extraordinarily well.

NYX has many good products. But this is a huge fail. First off, the ingredients: Silica seems ok, but I don't understand the parabens. I bet there are other (also cheap) healthier ingredients that could replace these. So far, this is my first Silica powder but I noticed that after I purchase and researching on the net. In the store I tried the tester and I thought: This is such a fine milled powder, plus it says HD, so why not? I used it the next day. Under my eyes and the whole face. I changed nothing about my makeup routine. And the result is awful. What happened? -> my face = blotchy foundation nightmare (it looked like my skin absorbed the foundation like a moisturizer) -> grandma wrinkles on undereyes -> my foundation shade suddenly was 1-2 shades darker (oxidation!) I thought my face changed from combination to dry skin. And I tried to use it sparingly. My BB doesn't grab any product so that's it for me. Even my beloved setting brush by Real Techniques barely grabbed any powder. So I had to dip and dip and dip til I had some on my foundation tool. Ain't nobody got time for that, NYX. Since I can't return it, I'm going to use this for bare face (when my face won't need foundation) or as dry shampoo. Maybe for mattifying lipsticks but let's see. I regret that I bought this powder, and I had high expectations. I'll stay with my fav products by NYX. But I'm going to return to Laura Mercier Translucent Powder. This is expensive but lasts you a long time, does a fine job (you get what you pay for) and you get 29g!

I first bought this product intending to use it as an everyday all over setting powder. I quickly discovered that this powder was very mattifying and had a tendency to cake if used with a dense powder brush. It left me with dry looking patches and also gave my face a white cast. The packaging is quite awful - the holes in the sifter are huge so there is always way too much product in the top when you open it, and the powder itself is extremely fine and will fly everywhere when you try to use it. I tried this a few times then threw it in the back of my drawer... Where it sat until I rediscovered it this summer.

During the 40+ degree Celsius days this summer I was having trouble keeping my face matte so pulled this powder out to try again. It works very well as a mattifying overall setting powder if you use a small amount with a fluffy brush, it keeps my face matte for about 8 hours and gives a rather beautiful airbrushed finish. It does lighten my foundation a bit but a bit of bronzer or setting spray fixes that easily. I would not use it to set the undereye - its far too drying for that. You can also set your face with another powder (I like RCMA no colour powder or Rimmel stay matte) and use this in the T zones to help with oil control.

In conclusion this product is great for oil control but has terrible packaging and will leave a slight white cast. Its worth a try for oily girls but bear in mind it will probably flash back in pictures.

I would probably eventually repurchase this if I don't find another powder as mattifying as this one.

on 1/13/2017 6:15:00 AM

Awful product. States it will 'absorb oil' but absorbs so much of my concealer and leaves me with awful white patches where it has been applied. Feels so dry and cakey. Do not recommend.

on 12/16/2016 11:46:00 PM