NYX Professional Makeup HD Studio Finishing Powder

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

on 4/25/2018 9:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Second Update 2018----
I have a ton of drugstore powders and this is my favorite one for setting. I love using it with matte foundations because silica is super absorbent allowing me to quickly set areas with concealer using a small amount of product on a brush (I use the Elf Blush brush). Whatever is left on the brush I distribute on the rest of the face. In this small amount, it's almost undetectable but still effective. Using a lot of powder with matte foundations can be a disaster, and with this one you don't have to.

As I've gotten older my tinted loose powders make my fine lines look worse, and if the powder is too heavy (like the Maybelline Fit me powder) it just adds unwanted texture to my skin oftentimes). What I do now is use this HD loose powder to se my liquid/cream products, and then I use one of my tinted powders conservatively, on unwrinkled areas, for the blurring effect. Will repurchase :3

Update 2018 --------

I'm bumping this up to five stars. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this powder. It's translucent and when applied properly close to undetectable. What you WILL see is the mattifying effect it has. From rotating my powders I've noticed this one is SUPER absorbent. You only need a little. It seems Silica (the sole ingredient in this powder) is waaay more absorbent than say, talc.

The best way (and the only way I would suggest) to use this to set makeup, is in a THIN layer. Do not bake with this, you will look super dried up. You also need a soft brush. Most of my brushes are not soft enough and when I go to sweep powder on, they remove foundation and cream contour; you get one of those "where did the coverage go?" moments. So aim for a thin layer and use a VERY soft brush to sweep it on, or EVEN BETTER use a soft flat brush, a velour puff, or a dry sponge and PAT PAT on the powder all over before sweeping softly. To set concealer I use the WET N WILD fluffy Crease brush (white handle) which is amazing for applying a thin even layer of powder around the eye area to set concealer and eye primer, or just any flat foundation brush.

The other great thing about this powder, besides its invisibility act and incredible absorbency, is that its ONE ingredient. A dream for my acne-prone skin. So I tested this powder on its own and it didn't clog my pores. So silica milled to this size is ACNE SAFE (for me). What that means is that I can use this powder to test foundations and color products for comedogenicity, and know FOR SURE, this wasn't the culprit. Which is awesome. I Prime my face with a thin layer of this over my skincare, and I finish my makeup with a thin layer of this which is great for my oily skin without committing the sin of piling on too much of such an absorbent powder. If I put too much my face feels dry and tight, and I have oily skin.

Also concerning shimmer, it doesn't have any. The NYX MINERAL setting powder may have some, but not this one. The mineral setting powder breaks me out, this one doesn't.

I have repurchased already and I would repurchase. The only skin type I would not recommend this to is Very Dry skin. You don't need such an absorbent powder, you need something weaker with less silica, or no silica. Probably something Talc, or Mica based, or even a luminous pressed powder, because those can have oils and silicones added to them, which makes them even less absorbent/drying, something like the Charlotte Tilbury Skin Perfecting Micro-Powder.

I repurchased this the second time ... my first jar literally lasted for 2 years (maybe more? Not sure how long this product has been around.) I think some people might not like it because they're using too much. I don't even swirl my kabuki brush into the container. Usually there's a fine dust of the powder in the cap and I swirl my brush in the remnants of that. If need more I take a smidgeon of it on my pinky (like a small dot of it) and put it in the cap and swirl my brush in it. It takes so, so little product to get the result you need. It literally takes the "dust" of the product on your brush to get the airbrushed effect. If you use more than that, things will start looking cakey and white.

I love how this gives an airbrushed look over just concealer on low key days or on top of foundation for more full coverage. It is $10 and I imagine I won't be needing to repurchase until another 2 years. Just be sure you hold your breath when you open the container bc the dust flies up everywhere. That is my only gripe.

on 8/26/2017 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I love this powder!!

on 8/7/2017 9:56:00 PM

What a great product! I've used powder foundations and other cheap setting powders in the hopes of controlling my oily T-zone, but they never seem to make it to the end of the day without getting shiny on me. This finishing powder really lasts, even when I start to sweat.

I you're planning on getting a powder to bake your face with, in a proper Instagram fashion, definitely don't buy this!
If you're looking to achieve a blurred-out-pore effect on your selfies using this powder, you're better off with an app. You will, nonetheless, achieve a blurred-out-pore effect in real life. <3

This powder is MAGNIFICENT at setting a light layer of foundation in, to even out and mattify for a natural looking finish. I use Dior's Diorskin Forever Perfect Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 35 in Ivory, and haven't changed brands for years. After a few Summers I realized that, as much as I hate heavy makeup, a finishing powder was due for me. I like YSL's Poudre Compact Radiance for the colder months, but in Summer it can all get a bit too much, and breaking a sweat under all that is not a very good beauty scenario. Can you imagine wearing 2 layers of makeup to the beach? Yuck (But one layer along with a dash of this finishing powder, thats' a perfect marriage to give your natural beauty an extra kick that last and beats shine caused by oil production.)

I have found this is better applied with a big loose brush, and a little goes a long way. I ensure there are no residues with the feel of my hands, then I'm good to do. Remember, this is best used as the very last step in your makeup routine, unless you're up for a special night out and you'll sprinkle a bit of glitter on it all, then go dancing.

Sometimes I do forget, and I have to apply my blush on top of this powder (Mornings, hehe) but I definitely get a more even, controllable and blendable application under it. Once again this is a FINISHING powder.

There are endless high end brands that carry finishing powders like YSL (Compact) Laura Mercier (Loose), but at the end of the day I personally prefer to invest my money on the things that are closer to my skin, like moisturizer and foundation. It works great on top of all the goodness underneath when used properly, so I'd say: Great value for money :)

I LOVE this powder! I have oily skin and often go through very long days where I have few opportunities to blot or touch up my foundation. I've tried several mattifying primers and foundations in hopes of staying matte all day, but without this powder I am nothing. I put it on right after my foundation and concealer and it completely seals in anything that, originally, might slide around. On good days, it lasts all day, and on bad days, it lasts for at least seven hours. I usually apply it with a brush, but it works very well when applied with a beauty blender, too, and makes my skin very smooth and soft. That being said, it definitely takes some getting used to when applying, and I can definitely see it being a problem for dryer skin.

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Cool

Love this product for setting concealer around T-zone. Can't see this working well for dry and/or sallow skin types. MUFE is more finely-milled and would be less drying, would also be better for flash photography/events. Great overall HD powder for oily skin. I use a different powder for the dry areas of my face, or if I'm wearing concealer under eyes.

on 3/15/2017 1:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this product for 3 years now, not everyday but this is one of my staple ones.This has worked for me. I have very, very oily skin.

In my opinion, this powder has very specific, practical and simple job. First of all I am not into baking etc. I kinda hate that trend. I use this alone or on top of my foundation. I use a big, fluffy brush, not the dense and compact brush cos you will end up with white patches all over. Very little amount is needed per use that's why I'm surprised by the many negative reviews. It works well in providing your whole face with a very light shield that I think prevents the oil from going overboard.

This works best on my oily skin as every time I use this, after a few hours, my face just looks dewy. I think the brush you use is the key. For me, it's the big, very loose and soft face brush. I will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I have oily skin (combo in the summer) , and this powder is great for setting everything (as meant to be used for), honestly wish i wouldve found this sooner. Its very very finely milled and easy to blend out. Its the only powder that actually keeps my t-zone shine completely away for longer than 4 hours (with a primer of course) . I warn you though, if you tend to take lots of photos with flash ,either avoid this product or apply only a very light amount . I only wish, for a drugstore item,they gave a little more product ,since its like 9.99 for a small container, but its not a big issue. If you have oily/combo skin type i recommend this! its a good alternative to the high end $35+ HD powders

on 10/21/2016 8:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Very good powder, no talc which I love, I put it on BEFORE my foundation. HG loose powder yall