NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.7

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

If you're as vain and self-centered as I am, you're gonna love this powder. As soon as you apply it, it's hard to take your eyes off yourself, cause you just look so darn good.
I was an avid fan of the ELF HD Powder for quite some time. After a year of much love, I ran out of it and planned on repurchasing until I saw these reviews. Well, why not? I'm always looking to try something new, and I had a coupon so I snatched it up.
When I got home I eagerly applied my foundation, powder, blush and bronzer, and went for the HD powder to smooth and set everything. I almost gasped when I got it out. It's the finest, smoothest powder I've ever laid eyes on. Smoother and finer than ELF, MUFE, and just wispy and dream-like in every single way.
I took a tiny bit on my ELF kabuki and buffed it into my face.
...
My goodness.
This powder delivers. I looked flawless, airbrushed, and maybe it was just me, but the powder seemed to add some luminous look to my skin. Those effects lasted all day, no fading, no touching up just gorgeousness. What impressed me the most is how this powder managed to work with my impossible skin; oily t-zone, dry cheeks, and acne gallore. It didn't cling to the dry patches on my face yet it also kept me matte without drawing attention to my acne. I almost did a cartwheel...before I remembered that I can't do a cartwheel without hurting myself.
NYX labeled this product as "a miracle in a jar". I must say, I'm inclined to agree.

on 7/7/2013 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am oilier than Kuwait after the Persian Gulf War. My desperate and unrelenting search for an oil controlling finishing powder had, I thought, ended with Tarte Smooth Operator. Even at $28 I found its ability to control oil worth the price and have since dropped well over $100 on that.

NYX offers an awesome dupe in this powder. I find it controls oil just as well. The packaging is awful, but at just $10, it's totally worth it.

on 10/26/2013 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Pros

- mattifies
- finely milled
- controls oil
- blurs imperfections
- little goes a long way

Cons

- leaves white cast in flash photography

Comments: HG powder for oily skin! This controls my oil so well and gives such a beautiful, flawless finish. It's so finely milled and a little goes a very long way. A light dusting with your favorite powder brush is all you need. Do not load this on! It also helps to keep my concealer from creasing in my fine lines.

Will repurchase.

Eyes: Violet

I bought this product based on the great reviews. The great thing about this pure silica powder is the price. You get a whole jar for only $10. The bad is that it causes so much itching at the end of the day, I cannot wear it. It is extremely drying accentuating all the flakiness and fine lines. The white cast is hideous. It's not even a healthy white color. It's a death whitish grey color you find at the funeral homes. I simply do not understand all the great reviews. I might consider using this a s a halloween makeup if it didn't cause too much itch on my skin.

UPDATE: My face is now ruined because of some severe reaction to this product. It is totally red and inflamed. Proceed with caution if you have sensitive skin and test on small area of the body first before applying all over the face. I haven't used any new product or eaten anything different. I have to get some prescription hydrocortisone to ease the inflammation from this product.

It has taken me 7 years to find a product that controls oil on my obnoxiously oily skin. And when I say "oily" I mean "within 30 minutes of applying foundation my forehead and nose are glistening." I have tried so many different primers, foundations, powders and skin care products - everything from high to low-end, and nothing has came close to controlling my oil like NYX HD powder. I can go 8-9 hours now before noticing a sheen of any kind which is a small miracle in my book.

Yes, the packaging is horrible. The sifter top has too many large holes and since the power is very fine, whenever you open the top, it flies everywhere. My solution was to only open 1 hole and keep the others taped off. I flip over the jar, give it a tap on the bottom then flip it back over and tap it on top. I have found that what remains on the top after opening the jar is plenty of powder to cover my entire face, while keeping the mess to a minimum. I apply this powder with either a fan brush or an EcoTools powder brush.

For $10 at Ulta, this is a steal and I will be repurchasing when I run out.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I loved this until I went to my cousin's wedding and looked like I had used white-out under my eyes in flash photos! And I have very fair skin. IF YOU ARE SURE YOU WON't have your picture taken, this does a great job of keeping your concealer from settling into fine lines. I showed a picture of me w this on to the SA a sephora whilst searching for new powder and she was shocked! I read reviews prior to purchase and noticed a few people saying it caused a white cast in photos and I thought I'd be fine because I'm so pale, but I was mistaken. Also, this loose powder goes everywhere, it's MUCH worse than my loose mineral foundation. I hope this helps someone not make the same mistake I did.
**update**
I do still use this when I'm absolutely sure I won't have my picture taken as it's a little smoother than my everyday concealer setting powder, cornstarch. If I *barely* dip the brush in the powder and then tap it into the lid and swirl the brush around, I get less powder going all over the place.
I couldn't believe it when I was reading allure a few months back when they showed that picture of Angelina Jolie w/ "cocaine face" white powder blotches, and they actually recommended this powder as a way to avoid the problem!!!! Idiots.

on 9/25/2013 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is very, very similar to MUFE HD powder. It is basically a pure white silica powder that works great for all day mattifying, setting your makeup, and helping to minimize and soften the appearance of lines. I've used MUFE, ELF HD, NARS' version, and the NYX version. NYX is around $15 and works just as well as the others. Wayne Goss has a great review of this on YouTube and says he thinks it is even more finely milled than MUFE HD. I apply my foundation, then use a kabuki to buff a small amount of this onto my skin to set my makeup, then top it with my regular powder. I live in Texas where summers are sheer misery, and this really helps to keep my makeup matte & fresh. A little pricey for drugstore, but this performs on par with MUFE & NARS. Highly recommend and I would repurchase.

on 4/8/2013 2:24:00 PM

I have both of the other well-known silica setting powders, the MUFE and Elf versions. I actually prefer this one over both. It seems to be more finely milled and smoother, so finely milled in fact, that it drifts up into the air when the lid is removed. Annoying, yes, but this is just an indicator of how very fine the particles are. As such it doesn't cake or settle into fine lines, nor does it emphasize dry patches. Just a very smooth and beautiful finish. It's 100% silica, and I don't remember how that compares to the MUFE and Elf, but I'll check the label and update. The only reason I'm giving it a '4' is because the very small amount in the jar makes it deceivingly expensive at $9.99 US (Ulta).

on 8/4/2015 2:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I don't own a lot of makeup, but this is definitely one of my favourites for setting my foundation. It's so finely milled and applies very nicely. Also, if you're concerned about it leaving a white cast on your face...I haven't ever run into that problem before (& my complexion is on the darker side) I got it on sale for around $10 in Canada at London Drugs, and I would definitely repurchase. I have oily skin, and the powders that I was using before didn't help to keep my face as matte as this one. NYX slayed it with this product and I would highly recommend it to anyone out there looking for a new powder!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Holy cow! This powder is life changing! It sets even my creamiest foundations and keeps me shine free and natural looking all day! No white cast, just a perfectly set face that lasts hours! My T zone is oily so when I first tried this and looked in the mirror hours later, I was amazed! For ten bucks, I will continue to repurchase! I love this powder.