NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

on 9/16/2016 10:14:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I used to use the HD powder from IT Cosmetics. Until I read the ingredients: 100% silica. IT was $26, this stuff is around $10. Same stuff, does the same thing at the much more expensive version. It's very, very finely milled, so it does disappear on my face. I use it UNDER my foundation--as part of my primer step, and then very lightly over foundation. Keeps my makeup locked in place, and keeps it from degrading during the day. I don't use it for photo ops, because like most real people, I don't get many of those. I just use it to keep my makeup from sliding off my very oily face. And for that, it's A WINNER.

UNREAL. I applied my foundation this morning at 6:30 AM. It is now 12:30 PM and it looks fantastic. No sinking into pores. No shine. No sliding all over the face. And what's even more incredible - the powder hasn't dried me out either.
I applied my foundation (actually, a BB cream) with a damp beauty blender and then dusted the smallest TINIEST amount of the NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder all over my face. Then (all powders:) contour, highlighter and blush. It all sits there, like I just applied it. This is insane.
Now let's see if it irritates me or breaks me out. I'll keep you updated.

on 7/9/2015 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have this and it is functional. I use it as my day to day setting powder when I know I am not going to be in pictures as it does flash back. I find that I have to go in with a light hand when using NYX HD. Also I flick off any excess with a small setting brush in the nose area or else it does have some slight build up but then so do the better powders. It seems to show up more when I am tan so I do think that tan/olive/dark complected girls may have some issues with it if they do not flick excess off. It is not a replacement for Nars or Mac but it does the job when I do not want to use up my better setting powders. Not everyone has the money for those amazing powders which are low on quantity and high on price. I would say I recommend this if you have a light hand and the right tools to pull this off properly.

This stuff works well for me, but doesn't set my MU to last as long as UD All Nighter, but then, they are different products w/ similar goals. This stuff will give me a nice glow and set my MU for about 5 hours, after which I need to a minor touch up on my chin + nose. UD sets my MU for 12+ hours. But it doesn't give my a glow.

So, the type of day I'm going to have dictates which I use and I"m happy to have both in my rotation.

I"m test driving the NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powder, so we will see if I stick w/ NYX or end up loving the NARS so much, that I'm willing to spend a ridiculous amount of $.

on 5/27/2014 1:08:00 PM

It's a really nice product, although I have a few caveats. Silica powders are so dry to the touch they feel odd and since they have so little moisture, they tend to fly around everywhere much more than regular loose powders. This is the micro-pulverized version of the stuff in the Do Not Eat This Packet that comes in your vitamins. That said, it doesn't feel dehydrating unless I put on too much.

Like others have said, you have to make sure you buff it off or you will have weird white powder residue in places. If you buff it, though, you get a really lovely almost airbrushed finish that lasts for hours. It has zero coverage, which I prefer, but if you're a coverage powder person, this might not be for you.

Because of the unusual texture, color doesn't like to stick to it, so if you're a blush after powder person, you'll need to change that.

Regardless of the few issues, it's a really pretty soft-focus finish that is completely invisible unless you pile it on and works really well on oilier summer-time skin. It's one of the few things that keeps me from having to blot and powder every hour. Most recently I've been using it over L'Oreal Liquid Powder foundation because I don't like a foundation-y look, but I've used it over regular liquids and it's been fine with those, as well.

It's basically the same as Too Faced Primed and Poreless Pwder and MUFE HD powder. Too Faced, which I used for years until I found NYX, has a tiny bit of color, but feels and acts exactly the same. The MUFE is identical in color and in texture to me, but I've only tried a few days worth. They're all silica powders, but the NYX is about $11.00 at CVS and $9.99 at Ulta, so not expensive. ULTA was having a BOGO50%off (or they were on Saturday), so that's helpful.

on 2/12/2014 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a fabulous finishing powder that is less than a third of the price of a high end HD powder I formerly used. It appears to be exactly the same product as my former fave I purchased at Sephora. $10 vs. $30+? I will take it! Finishes and sets makeup beautifully. I use the white one (translucent) but have no issues with a white cast; it actually give a matte, lovely glow . Ladies give it a whirl - I don't think you will be disappointed.

on 12/4/2013 12:43:00 PM

I use this silica powder nearly every day. In winter I use it for shine on my forehead and nose but in summer it is a lifesaver when my face sweats like crazy. It so far is the only good powder I found for summer heat, but I love how this buffs out large pores. It doesn't add any more color which often makes me look over made up which I have heavy hands so I need a colorless sheer finish. Only takes a little to fill in pores to make my face look more smooth. This is a must have for me.

No need to ever look for another powder again! I have never used a product that has istantly made my oily skin look and feel amazing. I bought 2 when Ulta had 40% off because of all the great reviews. Wish I had purchased more!

on 6/5/2013 2:22:00 PM

Have to agree w/ prev reviewer ..this stuff does somehow make my combo but oily T zone look glowy..matte but not flat..even good in retail store lighting and we all know how flattering that is ! I love it ...