NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.8

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Cool

Love this product for setting concealer around T-zone. Can't see this working well for dry and/or sallow skin types. MUFE is more finely-milled and would be less drying, would also be better for flash photography/events. Great overall HD powder for oily skin. I use a different powder for the dry areas of my face, or if I'm wearing concealer under eyes.

No, just no if you have combination skin. This really cakes up in drier areas of my face and really makes my foundation look cakey. No thanks. I'll stick with the pricier Tarte Smooth Operator finishing powder. If you have oily skin, this would work extraordinarily well.

on 3/15/2017 1:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this product for 3 years now, not everyday but this is one of my staple ones.This has worked for me. I have very, very oily skin.

In my opinion, this powder has very specific, practical and simple job. First of all I am not into baking etc. I kinda hate that trend. I use this alone or on top of my foundation. I use a big, fluffy brush, not the dense and compact brush cos you will end up with white patches all over. Very little amount is needed per use that's why I'm surprised by the many negative reviews. It works well in providing your whole face with a very light shield that I think prevents the oil from going overboard.

This works best on my oily skin as every time I use this, after a few hours, my face just looks dewy. I think the brush you use is the key. For me, it's the big, very loose and soft face brush. I will definitely repurchase.

on 12/16/2016 11:46:00 PM

Was not impressed. And it was a huge mess. Going back to Laura Mercier

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I am somewhat pale (NW15) and combination-dry; this loose, 100% silica powder looks both dry and chalky on me even when applied super-sparingly with a stippling brush. I am hesitant to suggest it as a solo finishing powder unless you are into a matte look, very pale, and have an oilier skin type. I feel like that is a lot of parameters, so I am giving this one a kind of sorry 3/5 rating.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I've been searching for a setting powder that doesn't irritate or breakout my skin so I picked this up at Target for $10 because I wanted to go talc-free this time, and this one seemed to have favorable reviews on here.

I was skeptical though, because this stuff only has one ingredient: silica (they have apparently cut out the parabens). I really wish I had followed my instincts cause this stuff does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me. Like literally, I see no difference whatsoever after i apply it. Even applying loads of it just leaves faint white smudges that rub in and disappear with no discernible effect. I can get the same finish by brushing a clean (makeup free) brush over my face.

Maybe my face is just too oily for this stuff to do anything to it? Or maybe i'm using it wrong? Is there some sort of secret to this stuff? If there is, it eludes me. I really want my $10 back...

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is in fact a wonderful product. I have extremely oily skin and enlarged pores and this powder works great after I use my Ester Lauder foundation. After I set my foundation with this powder I apply my translucent setting powder and that helps to erase the white cast. It absorbs excess oil for long periods and gives a soft finish Will definitely repurchase!

I jumped to buy this 100% silica powder, and it works beautifully with little product (I am combo-dry). I am also pale, but I get no photo flashback with this finishing powder (so the "HD" description fits).

It's wonderful to matte down sunscreen and/or tinted moisturizer and lasts all day for me without reapplication.

Sadly, I just noticed this is suddenly no longer on the NYX website, and they have come out with a pressed version with a totally different formulation...I hope this isn't my last jar! If so, at least it's a nice amount of product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I love silica powders. This one is nice. I think I like the ELF powder better. This powder is so light and fine that I tend to accidentally inhale it a lot. The ELF powder is a little heavier so it clings to the brush better than the NYX powder and makes it a little less messy. But I like the packaging of this one better than ELF, it's slimmer and sleeker. If I repurchase I'll probably go with ELF as it's cheaper and I like the powder a bit better.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This like other reviewers have said is a dupe for MUFE's HD powder, much like the Coastal Scents silica spheres. Good amount of product for the price. It will keep your skin matte, with minimal touch-ups. I have oily skin and this really helps keep my makeup in place. The only thing to be mindful of is it *can* leave a slight white cast. At least on me, anyway- but I tend to apply with a heavy hand. I just make sure to really buff and blend in place. The packaging is a classic sifter and can get messy, but that's par for the course with these types of powders.