NYX Professional Makeup HD Studio Finishing Powder

NYX Professional Makeup HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.7

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

on 5/30/2018 9:29:00 AM

This is a FINISHING powder. Not a setting powder. Those saying not to bake with this are clueless. Finishing powders are not meant to bake with and set foundation. Finishing powders are meant to FINISHING your makeup. A light dusting at the very end. Use a SETTING powder to set with. Educate yourselves before leaving cap reviews.
When used properly there is no flashback. Nice silky texture.

on 4/25/2018 9:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Second Update 2018----
I have a ton of drugstore powders and this is my favorite one for setting. I love using it with matte foundations because silica is super absorbent allowing me to quickly set areas with concealer using a small amount of product on a brush (I use the Elf Blush brush). Whatever is left on the brush I distribute on the rest of the face. In this small amount, it's almost undetectable but still effective. Using a lot of powder with matte foundations can be a disaster, and with this one you don't have to.

As I've gotten older my tinted loose powders make my fine lines look worse, and if the powder is too heavy (like the Maybelline Fit me powder) it just adds unwanted texture to my skin oftentimes). What I do now is use this HD loose powder to se my liquid/cream products, and then I use one of my tinted powders conservatively, on unwrinkled areas, for the blurring effect. Will repurchase :3

Update 2018 --------

I'm bumping this up to five stars. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this powder. It's translucent and when applied properly close to undetectable. What you WILL see is the mattifying effect it has. From rotating my powders I've noticed this one is SUPER absorbent. You only need a little. It seems Silica (the sole ingredient in this powder) is waaay more absorbent than say, talc.

The best way (and the only way I would suggest) to use this to set makeup, is in a THIN layer. Do not bake with this, you will look super dried up. You also need a soft brush. Most of my brushes are not soft enough and when I go to sweep powder on, they remove foundation and cream contour; you get one of those "where did the coverage go?" moments. So aim for a thin layer and use a VERY soft brush to sweep it on, or EVEN BETTER use a soft flat brush, a velour puff, or a dry sponge and PAT PAT on the powder all over before sweeping softly. To set concealer I use the WET N WILD fluffy Crease brush (white handle) which is amazing for applying a thin even layer of powder around the eye area to set concealer and eye primer, or just any flat foundation brush.

The other great thing about this powder, besides its invisibility act and incredible absorbency, is that its ONE ingredient. A dream for my acne-prone skin. So I tested this powder on its own and it didn't clog my pores. So silica milled to this size is ACNE SAFE (for me). What that means is that I can use this powder to test foundations and color products for comedogenicity, and know FOR SURE, this wasn't the culprit. Which is awesome. I Prime my face with a thin layer of this over my skincare, and I finish my makeup with a thin layer of this which is great for my oily skin without committing the sin of piling on too much of such an absorbent powder. If I put too much my face feels dry and tight, and I have oily skin.

Also concerning shimmer, it doesn't have any. The NYX MINERAL setting powder may have some, but not this one. The mineral setting powder breaks me out, this one doesn't.

I have repurchased already and I would repurchase. The only skin type I would not recommend this to is Very Dry skin. You don't need such an absorbent powder, you need something weaker with less silica, or no silica. Probably something Talc, or Mica based, or even a luminous pressed powder, because those can have oils and silicones added to them, which makes them even less absorbent/drying, something like the Charlotte Tilbury Skin Perfecting Micro-Powder.

Feels nice on the face, easy to apply but gives a horrible flashback. Never bake with it.

No, just no if you have combination skin. This really cakes up in drier areas of my face and really makes my foundation look cakey. No thanks. I'll stick with the pricier Tarte Smooth Operator finishing powder. If you have oily skin, this would work extraordinarily well.

on 3/15/2017 1:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this product for 3 years now, not everyday but this is one of my staple ones.This has worked for me. I have very, very oily skin.

In my opinion, this powder has very specific, practical and simple job. First of all I am not into baking etc. I kinda hate that trend. I use this alone or on top of my foundation. I use a big, fluffy brush, not the dense and compact brush cos you will end up with white patches all over. Very little amount is needed per use that's why I'm surprised by the many negative reviews. It works well in providing your whole face with a very light shield that I think prevents the oil from going overboard.

This works best on my oily skin as every time I use this, after a few hours, my face just looks dewy. I think the brush you use is the key. For me, it's the big, very loose and soft face brush. I will definitely repurchase.

on 12/16/2016 11:46:00 PM

Was not impressed. And it was a huge mess. Going back to Laura Mercier

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I am somewhat pale (NW15) and combination-dry; this loose, 100% silica powder looks both dry and chalky on me even when applied super-sparingly with a stippling brush. I am hesitant to suggest it as a solo finishing powder unless you are into a matte look, very pale, and have an oilier skin type. I feel like that is a lot of parameters, so I am giving this one a kind of sorry 3/5 rating.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I've been searching for a setting powder that doesn't irritate or breakout my skin so I picked this up at Target for $10 because I wanted to go talc-free this time, and this one seemed to have favorable reviews on here.

I was skeptical though, because this stuff only has one ingredient: silica (they have apparently cut out the parabens). I really wish I had followed my instincts cause this stuff does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me. Like literally, I see no difference whatsoever after i apply it. Even applying loads of it just leaves faint white smudges that rub in and disappear with no discernible effect. I can get the same finish by brushing a clean (makeup free) brush over my face.

Maybe my face is just too oily for this stuff to do anything to it? Or maybe i'm using it wrong? Is there some sort of secret to this stuff? If there is, it eludes me. I really want my $10 back...

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is in fact a wonderful product. I have extremely oily skin and enlarged pores and this powder works great after I use my Ester Lauder foundation. After I set my foundation with this powder I apply my translucent setting powder and that helps to erase the white cast. It absorbs excess oil for long periods and gives a soft finish Will definitely repurchase!

I jumped to buy this 100% silica powder, and it works beautifully with little product (I am combo-dry). I am also pale, but I get no photo flashback with this finishing powder (so the "HD" description fits).

It's wonderful to matte down sunscreen and/or tinted moisturizer and lasts all day for me without reapplication.

Sadly, I just noticed this is suddenly no longer on the NYX website, and they have come out with a pressed version with a totally different formulation...I hope this isn't my last jar! If so, at least it's a nice amount of product.