NYX Professional Makeup HD Studio Finishing Powder

NYX Professional Makeup HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.7

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

The powder has a little bit of a smell, not much though. It’s only bad if you accidentally inhale a large amount through your nose.
The powder has some flashback, and if you turn your face a certain way, it becomes flashback Mary. If you use it in light dustings it’s not too bad, but there’s still that “flashback”.

It also sticks. Like I’ll be brushing away the powder after a baking and there will be this patch that won’t go away. Saying that...

DONT use it as setting powder, ie baking your undereyes. You will end up looking like a polar bear. Though, saying that, it’s not a setting powder, it’s a finishing powder and is not meant for setting makeup. But you know, if you don’t have your setting powder, you gotta use the next best thing.

Other than that. The powder is extremely silky and soft. When I first got it, I put some on my hand as a swatch test, and I was mesmerized. So smooth.
It is also very matte, for those oily skin users.

In addition, I’ll use the powder under my makeup (over liquids) to blur redness and acne, because it does a great job at that.

on 5/30/2018 9:29:00 AM

This is a FINISHING powder. Not a setting powder. Those saying not to bake with this are clueless. Finishing powders are not meant to bake with and set foundation. Finishing powders are meant to FINISHING your makeup. A light dusting at the very end. Use a SETTING powder to set with. Educate yourselves before leaving cap reviews.
When used properly there is no flashback. Nice silky texture.

on 4/25/2018 9:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

I like this because its ONE ingredient and its work-with-able. I have many, many drugstore powders, and among the ones that don't break me out (which are few) this one is the least likely to clogy pores, which is why I use it to test foundations /concealers for comedogenicity.

This powder is translucent, slightly blurring, and matte on my NC 42 skin tone unless I apply a lot and don't sweep it away, in which case it does show up as a sheer, dry, white color. I don't bake with it, and I wouldn't suggest baking with it. It's easy to overdo. A LITTLE goes a long way. The packaging is great, comfortable, easy to open, and somehow, never a mess.

Concerning shimmer, it doesn't have any. The NYX MINERAL setting powder may have some, but not this one.

I have repurchased already and I would repurchase for foundation testing mostly (acne prone skin woes ).

seems to set the makeup just fine but i just cant get past the little chunks of shimmer in it. no desire to look like a disco ball. the search continues....

Feels nice on the face, easy to apply but gives a horrible flashback. Never bake with it.

on 1/19/2018 11:22:00 AM

Leaves a white filter on your face & FLASHBACK!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have normal to dry skin, and I don't wear a lot of foundation. My goal is either to set my BB cream with some concealer (usually no under eye correcting except a bit of BB cream) or just to mattify my skin after moisturizer if it looks ok because I like to be matte. I set concealer, under eye area and lids (if I choose to go shadowless) with a smaller brush and then buff everything with a dense kabuki brush.

I'd say this product can do these things but it is not comfortable to use. The result is just average. My lids become shiny very soon. I noticed that if I apply it in the same quantity as other powders it makes me feel much dryer so I learned to use it very lightly because it is easy to overdo. If I apply too much and my skin feels tight I fix it with some face mist. So I definitely don't recommend this to people with dry skin unless you use A LOT of moisturizer before makeup.

As some reviewers stated the powder is both light and finely milled so it goes everywhere and you can easily inhale it which I never ever encountered with any other powder. Also it gets between the lid and the jar so sometimes it won't close at once. The overall experience is messy and annoying.

I don't necessarily think this product is utter disaster and I will use it up but I definitely won't repurchase. If you want an inexpensive translucent powder that will not overdry your skin I recommend looking into Essence All About Matt compact and Lumene loose powder.

on 12/20/2017 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I want to love this product. When applied the powder to my foundation as the last step, it really helps smooth out my skin. However, during application with a big dome brush, the powder falls off everywhere: my table, my shirt, the floor,... Also, the powder evaporate and i inhale it (because I applied it on to my face) and that is not pleasant at all.

on 11/30/2017 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

If you have dry skin, run, this will emphasize your dry patches. This looked awful on my skin, and is not "HD" as I could see it with my naked eye. I learned long ago to only apply a light dusting of powder, and even a small amount of this just looked terrible. Made my skin look ashy and lifeless.

I repurchased this the second time ... my first jar literally lasted for 2 years (maybe more? Not sure how long this product has been around.) I think some people might not like it because they're using too much. I don't even swirl my kabuki brush into the container. Usually there's a fine dust of the powder in the cap and I swirl my brush in the remnants of that. If need more I take a smidgeon of it on my pinky (like a small dot of it) and put it in the cap and swirl my brush in it. It takes so, so little product to get the result you need. It literally takes the "dust" of the product on your brush to get the airbrushed effect. If you use more than that, things will start looking cakey and white.

I love how this gives an airbrushed look over just concealer on low key days or on top of foundation for more full coverage. It is $10 and I imagine I won't be needing to repurchase until another 2 years. Just be sure you hold your breath when you open the container bc the dust flies up everywhere. That is my only gripe.