NYX Professional Makeup Dewy Finish Setting Spray

3.5

Water/Aqua/Eau, Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, PVP, Disodium EDTA, Niacinamide, Phenoxyethanol

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This review will be comparing a number of drugstore makeup setting sprays to each other. There are plenty of reviews on the internet comparing each of the drugstore sprays to high end sprays so you could easily search for that if needed. I'll be focusing on the DEWY versions of Milani (Make it Last), NYX (Professional), LA Girl (Pro HD Finish), and Flower Beauty (Seal the Deal). I've added Wet N Wild but I haven't used it for long so I'll edit the review at a later point. For me, Flower Beauty was the best.
Testing conditions:
----------
I live in the Northeast where the winters are cold and windy and the summers are hot and humid. I have a long commute to work, part of which includes a 20 minute walk in all kinds of weather conditions. I work in an office setting so my makeup has to last from one extreme to the next. In other words, these products have been put to the test.
Spray & Bottle (they're all plastic):
-------------
Flower Beauty's spray bottle is amazing. By far the best of all. The spray comes out in an extremely fine mist, it never clogs, and the nozzle responds to different pressure as you're pressing down on it. The other bottles only spray if you press all the way down, if that makes sense. This is the only one out of all the products where you have quite a bit of control with the finest mist.
Milani's product comes in a semi-translucent bottle, which is nice because you can see how much product is left. There are reviewers who say the Milani bottle and spray is the best, but I've used multiple bottles of it and have found that it's not nearly as good as Flower's and it starts off good but clogs up and spritz's big pellets towards the end. The bottle is NOT a screw top--you can't open it up, reuse the bottle, or get any of the remaining product out. Out of all of the products, Milani's is the only product that is a sealed, non-screw top.
I would note that all the other products come in a pretty standard spray bottle, the kind that you get in a travel kit. They are sprays that work evenly, but they're still sprays, not mists. But, if you've ever tried the ELF setting spray that comes in that square-shape bottle, these are all world's better than that. The ELF thing spits at you, none of these do that so you don't need to worry.
Staying power:
-------------
The staying power of all the products are pretty on par with each other. Out of all the products, Milani looks the best for the longest amount of time. That being said, the difference was very slight and for me, not worth the extra price per ounce and the bottle.
Dewy Look:
---------
In terms of leaving me the dewy-est, NYX wins, hands-down. It gives me a very nice sheen that is visible. Second best is Milani, but I can't tell if it's the product itself or if it's because it lasts the longest so it ends up looking the best by the end of the day. Flower's sheen is nice but subtle. It's probably not the shiniest because the mist is so fine. The rest of the products I would say leave me natural looking but not dewy. Let's put it this way, the rest are setting sprays that do NOT make me look flat, matte, or dry but they don't particularly leave me dewy.
Overview:
--------
My favorite out of the bunch is the Flower Beauty Seal the Deal Hydrating setting spray. It's the most expensive per bottle but the cheapest per fluid ounce--you get a lot of it. The spray itself is superior to all the rest. The only con is that it's hard to find (only in Walmart or online) and never goes on sale. Out of the remainders, I would say they do not differ too much from each other. The second best is Milani and per bottle, it's only a little cheaper than Flower Beauty but you get a lot less product. If you're looking at paying the least per bottle then NYX, LA Girl, and Wet n Wild are pretty much on par with each other by price but I think NYX is the best out of those three. I'm ranking LA Girl the lowest but it doesn't actually mean it's the worst. I would say that it really doesn't differ much from NYX or Milani by very much and I've seen both the NYX and the LA Girl get sold in a 0.5 fl oz mini bottles for around $3 so they're good travel products or a good trial size with minimal financial investment.
Overall Ranking:
---------------
1. Flower (best value, best spray, hard to find)
2. Milani (fair value, best staying power)
3. NYX (most dewy look)
4. Wet n Wild (excellent value, good overall)
5. LA Girl (inexpensive per bottle, good but not special)
Prices (based on Walmart)
------
Flower = $9.98 for 3.4 fl oz (100ml) (2.96 per fl oz)
Milani = $8.97 for 2.03 fl oz (60ml) (4.42 per fl oz)
NYX = $5.59 for 1 fl oz (30ml)
Wet n Wild = $4.68 for 1.52 fl oz (45ml) (3.08 per fl oz)
LA Girl = $4.99 for 1 fl oz (30ml)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Has absolutely no effect on the longevity of my makeup, is not dewy, and smells like bread. No thanks.

This setting spray transforms and melts my makeup together like no other drug store brand. Using this on my Super Shock Highlighters from Colourpop makes my skin look like glass! I spray it over a powdered face and it doesn't look too dewy, it's a flattering natural glow.

Cons: Doesn't really affect staying power and the nozzle could be better (more mist like and less Windex spray bottle)

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

I like this. I'm glad it's not oily looking like I expected because I was going to pick up the matte one but the store had run out so I picked this one instead. It leaves a natural finish, but it is more dewy than the matte one. You can specially tell when you apply it xlose to the face. I feel like it doesnt helps wear time as well as the matte, though Id have to do a half face test and report back to the be sure. The spray isn't the finest ive tried but since I spray it about 12 inches away from my face anyway, it doesnt matter. Im very happy that its fragrance free, cruelty free, well priced and that it has Niacinamide in it. Have and would repurhase.

If you want a very dewy spray try the Wet N wild original photofocus one. By the gods I hated that one because it made me look.. super dewy. Yuck. I have oily skin already!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This setting spray is ok. I don't notice a difference between this and the matte one. It doesn't really have a smell and doesn't leave a dewy finish. It does help keep my makeup in place. I really like the mister on this one. I've even kept a few bottles after I've finished them because I like the mister so much. It's a very fine and even mist. Maybe even the best nozzle at the drugstore. I buy this because it is on sale or nyx has a special offer going on and I need something else from the brand.

Wet n Wild is more dewy, but smells like Purell (mister is ok). My all time fave is Pixi Rose Fixing Mist. It locks makeup in place, has a dewy finish, pleasant smell, and has a nice mister (not as fine as nyx). The only con with Pixi is the $15 price tag.

pros:
- you need only like 3 sprays
- dewy effect is noticeable for like 5 hours
- increases the longevity of your makeup
-you can spray it on your brush and then dip it into your highlighter and it’s going to be BLINDING, or use it instead of a primer or on op of a primer so it has multiple uses.
- it won’t make your makeup flakey or anything, it just melts into the skin and gives you healthy glow

cons:
- the smell (it’s not too bad and others may like it but i don’t like it so much)

it may look like you pay $10 for “only” 50ml package but it lasts months, even if you’re using it daily.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Sets your makeup fine, sprayer is fine, everything about it is good except that it isn't what it says it is. It's not dewy. At all. It's the same as the matte one. Not sure what else to say except that I'm pretty sure this is repackaged and sold as something different. Meh.

This has replaced Urban Decay All Nighter as my choice setting spray. I love this stuff. I don’t have problems with makeup melting off my face and it provides a nice dewy finish on top of my makeup. It doesn’t spray too much product onto the face and I feel like I am good to go after just one or two sprays.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I need to find another dewy setting spray for my incredibly dry skin. This one makes my foundations oxidize at least one shade. I use dewy/hydrating serum type foundations and although they all do oxidize a bit on their own, this spray makes it much worse. The spray nozzle doesnt give the finest mist but overall it is still a good hydrating setting spray.

Best setting spray I have ever used!! It better than the Urban Decay all nighter setting spray in my opinion! Makes my makeup last all day and great for nights out! Sprays a really fine mist and a great price think it’s between £6-£10!! Wish they did bigger bottles