NYX Professional Makeup Dewy Finish Setting Spray

Filtered by age: 36-43

3.4

Water/Aqua/Eau, Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, PVP, Disodium EDTA, Niacinamide, Phenoxyethanol

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This review will be comparing a number of drugstore makeup setting sprays to each other. There are plenty of reviews on the internet comparing each of the drugstore sprays to high end sprays so you could easily search for that if needed. I'll be focusing on the DEWY versions of Milani (Make it Last), NYX (Professional), LA Girl (Pro HD Finish), and Flower Beauty (Seal the Deal). I've added Wet N Wild but I haven't used it for long so I'll edit the review at a later point. For me, Flower Beauty was the best.
Testing conditions:
----------
I live in the Northeast where the winters are cold and windy and the summers are hot and humid. I have a long commute to work, part of which includes a 20 minute walk in all kinds of weather conditions. I work in an office setting so my makeup has to last from one extreme to the next. In other words, these products have been put to the test.
Spray & Bottle (they're all plastic):
-------------
Flower Beauty's spray bottle is amazing. By far the best of all. The spray comes out in an extremely fine mist, it never clogs, and the nozzle responds to different pressure as you're pressing down on it. The other bottles only spray if you press all the way down, if that makes sense. This is the only one out of all the products where you have quite a bit of control with the finest mist.
Milani's product comes in a semi-translucent bottle, which is nice because you can see how much product is left. There are reviewers who say the Milani bottle and spray is the best, but I've used multiple bottles of it and have found that it's not nearly as good as Flower's and it starts off good but clogs up and spritz's big pellets towards the end. The bottle is NOT a screw top--you can't open it up, reuse the bottle, or get any of the remaining product out. Out of all of the products, Milani's is the only product that is a sealed, non-screw top.
I would note that all the other products come in a pretty standard spray bottle, the kind that you get in a travel kit. They are sprays that work evenly, but they're still sprays, not mists. But, if you've ever tried the ELF setting spray that comes in that square-shape bottle, these are all world's better than that. The ELF thing spits at you, none of these do that so you don't need to worry.
Staying power:
-------------
The staying power of all the products are pretty on par with each other. Out of all the products, Milani looks the best for the longest amount of time. That being said, the difference was very slight and for me, not worth the extra price per ounce and the bottle.
Dewy Look:
---------
In terms of leaving me the dewy-est, NYX wins, hands-down. It gives me a very nice sheen that is visible. Second best is Milani, but I can't tell if it's the product itself or if it's because it lasts the longest so it ends up looking the best by the end of the day. Flower's sheen is nice but subtle. It's probably not the shiniest because the mist is so fine. The rest of the products I would say leave me natural looking but not dewy. Let's put it this way, the rest are setting sprays that do NOT make me look flat, matte, or dry but they don't particularly leave me dewy.
Overview:
--------
My favorite out of the bunch is the Flower Beauty Seal the Deal Hydrating setting spray. It's the most expensive per bottle but the cheapest per fluid ounce--you get a lot of it. The spray itself is superior to all the rest. The only con is that it's hard to find (only in Walmart or online) and never goes on sale. Out of the remainders, I would say they do not differ too much from each other. The second best is Milani and per bottle, it's only a little cheaper than Flower Beauty but you get a lot less product. If you're looking at paying the least per bottle then NYX, LA Girl, and Wet n Wild are pretty much on par with each other by price but I think NYX is the best out of those three. I'm ranking LA Girl the lowest but it doesn't actually mean it's the worst. I would say that it really doesn't differ much from NYX or Milani by very much and I've seen both the NYX and the LA Girl get sold in a 0.5 fl oz mini bottles for around $3 so they're good travel products or a good trial size with minimal financial investment.
Overall Ranking:
---------------
1. Flower (best value, best spray, hard to find)
2. Milani (fair value, best staying power)
3. NYX (most dewy look)
4. Wet n Wild (excellent value, good overall)
5. LA Girl (inexpensive per bottle, good but not special)
Prices (based on Walmart)
------
Flower = $9.98 for 3.4 fl oz (100ml) (2.96 per fl oz)
Milani = $8.97 for 2.03 fl oz (60ml) (4.42 per fl oz)
NYX = $5.59 for 1 fl oz (30ml)
Wet n Wild = $4.68 for 1.52 fl oz (45ml) (3.08 per fl oz)
LA Girl = $4.99 for 1 fl oz (30ml)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

The name of this product is misleading. I do not get a dewy finish whatsoever. I even sprayed one side with this and the other side with UD's setting spray and there was no difference in dewiness. Also the nozzle sucks and would shoot out huge droplets at a time. I ended up pouring it into a different bottle. However, I must say, it does set my makeup really well and makes it last longer. No noticeable chemically scent either. I probably wouldn't repurchase this dewy one again, but plan on trying the matte setting spray by NYX next. I bought mine at Ulta. $7.99 for 2 oz.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is my go to setting spray. I love the finish it gives my makeup and it gives my makeup better staying power.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I've always had dry skin, and as I have gotten older I have found it almost impossible to wear powder. Even the gold standard Laura Mercier translucent loose tends to make my skin look dull. Skipping powder isn't really an option as I used oil based foundations and need powder to keep my foundation from transferring. I picked this up on a whim while at Target. I applied a couple of pumps after powdering my face and this really helped the powder melt into my foundation, and gave my skin a healthy natural glow. For the most part this spritzes out as a fine mist with the occasional drop. Takes about a minute to dry, and didn't cause my cream blush to streak or run. Locked in my makeup all day which was really nice. I think this increased the longevity of my makeup more so than a primer. Under $10 a bottle so it's very budget friendly.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Another MEH product. I love the idea of this, dewy setting spray but I don't love the actual product. I like so many others that aren't thrilled with this product suffer from desert dry skin. The last thing I want is for my face to look like a dried out raisin, which is what happens with this product. It goes on dewy but once dried my face is completely dried out and I even have dry skin flakes in some areas. I am guessing due to the high alcohol content. Yes my makeup does stay so much longer with this but the flakey dry out that comes along is not the intended look. If I can find another "dewy" setting spray I will def give it a try. Sad because I wanted this to be HG material and it just isn't.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really wanted to like this spray - its reasonably priced, I've dry skin +++ and I'm 40.
But my make up looks so caked & oxidised the few times I've used it.

I'm going to give it a few more tries & play around with application.....distance from face, amt I use etc. I will update my review if things change.

Until then.....don't waste your money.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I'm someone with oily skin but I just don't care for the matte foundation look. I have two great full coverage foundations but they can look too "done" and mask like. I tried spritzing water over these foundations but that really doesn't help the problem long term. I saw this NYX dewy setting spray at CVS and thought this could be the trick. I'm so happy I picked this up! It really does transform any mask like foundation into one that appears more natural. It doesn't actually give me a dewy look, it softens the harshness of the foundation. Another great quality about this setting spray is that it doesn't disturb any of my face makeup included mascara and liner. It doesn't make my makeup run or smear. Also, it doesn't irritate my skin or make me greasy. It feels so refreshing on the face too! For the price, you can't beat it! THUMBS UP and will repurchase this when I run out.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I absolutely LOVE this setting spray! As I have been getting older, I've noticed that most medium/full coverage foundations tend to look masky and settle into my fine lines and pores. The problem I have with the more luminous and lighter foundations is that they don't offer as much coverage as I want. This dewy setting spray has solved my problem completely! I have a drawer FULL of heavier coverage foundations that I can now use without making myself look 10 years older! I only use maybe 4 squirts of this setting spray and it makes my complexion look flawless and gives me a healthy glow. It lasts the entire day and even helped prevent the mid-day oil slick in my t-zone. I don't know how I've lived without this amazing spray for so long!

I used this for a few months. It does not work as well as urban decay setting spray. I would pass on this in the future.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

** Parent Company Tests On Animals **

ETA: This week NYX was sold to L'Oreal who conduct animal testing. I have adjusted my rating from 5 lippies to 1 in order to reflect this. I will not re-purchase.
ETA # 2: The dewy finish is minimal.. I've been wearing this every day for a few weeks now & while it does extend the longevity of my makeup the absence of dewiness lowers the Skindinavia dupe percentage to about 70%.

Previously I've used the unparalleled Skindinavia Bridal Makeup Finish Setting Spray which I feel unable to use now because I'm unsure whether it's sold in China (ie, tested on animals). Dare I quote him again..? The one & only gossmakeupartist reviewed this & said it's a dupe for Skindinavia Bridal Finish - I definitely agree it's a 90% dupe but a fraction of the cost. (Skindinavia is about $40 including postage, NYX Makeup Setting Spray is $15 from Target and I found it on another site for $8). I'll reiterate the main points of my Skindinavia review as they're basically the same: it keeps preserves the airbrushed finish I've applied in the AM right through to PM. It's also good to tone down the dry look of when you've used too much powder. This is the fourth type of setting spray I've tried & the nozzle is just right - it actually mists rather than squirts. Other brands' nozzles squirt a stream of liquid which is annoying & counter-productive. I haven't had an adverse reaction to this myself but other people might want to be aware of this product's faint smell of alcohol in case you have sensitive skin. Will definitely re-purchase!