Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Ethereal

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Ethereal
image 1image 2image 3

3.8

Ethereal Light Mica, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Boron Nitride, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecanol, Silica, Benzimidazole Diamond Amidoethyl Urea Carbamoyl Propyl Olymethylsilsesquioxane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sorbic Acid, Olyacrylamide, Benzoic Acid, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Potassium Sorbate, Dehydroacetic Acid, Laureth-7, Ethylhexylglycerin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate. May Contain : Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride),Ci 77491 (Iron Oxide),Ci 77492 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxide),Ci 75470 (Carmine).

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is my HG finishing powder. I use it every day all over my face (I am very pale). It gives a wonderful blurred highlighted finish, literally like a moonlit glow. It is so finely milled, and feels lovely on my skin (oily). I will definitely be repurchasing.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Love love love this powder!

It's a very light yellow toned butter soft powder with tiny shiny particles. The effect on my skin tone nc18 is Cate Blanchett like. It's the perfect finishing powder for dry skin days, cloudy days and the winter. It controls oils on my skin for some hours. It doesn't dry my skin out or sticks to my dry areas. I love the effect, the name ethereal light is perfect.

To Read all 14 Reviews, Login or Join

First of all, I am super, super, super pale.

This product is only slightly lighter than my skin tone.

Second, I HATE powder.

I like my skin to be dewy and natural looking, and since my skin is fairly dry, setting powders have always been the bane of my existence. I hate cakey looking makeup and I'd rather have my makeup melt off entirely than have an obvious looking powder on my face.

I say this because I love this powder, and I want you all to understand what a big deal that is!

I have finally found a powder that sets my under eye concealer and the foundation around my nose and jawline in a way that doesn't look at all like powder. Maybe it's the glowiness of this product, or just that it's super finely milled, but it just disappears into my skin and leaves my complexion looking perfected.

It gives me about eight hours of staying powder, slightly more if I use a setting spray.

I've heard this product described as the "powder for people who hate powder" and that couldn't be more true.

While it was a pretty big hit to my bank account, you get a ton of product in beautiful packaging that has the satisfying weight of a luxury product, and I am absolutely thrilled to have found it.

on 1/21/2016 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have all 6 of these and this is one of my least favorites, along with Diffused Light. This is described as an opalescent sheer, cool white powder that mimics a moonlit glow, even in broad daylight. I just really don't have a use for it as it's too light as a setting powder and too matte as a highlight. Furthermore I think it's easily dupe-able.

Today, I purchased the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Ethereal Light for the second time. I usually never purchase something twice because I'm always trying new items. I'm 53 years old and this really brightens my complexion. The quality is very high-end. I sampled a few of the other shades in Sephora, but nothing is as impressive as the Ethereal Light on my fair/light skin.

on 4/20/2015 3:57:00 PM

I did consider buying one more of these just in case they discontinue it :p I love this finishing powder, it is so subtle and doesn't show any shimmer on the skin (not that it's supposed to) but it gives a very very nice glow. I purchased this because I was trying to find a dupe for the trio-palette Hourglass has and specifically the incandescent powder but didn't want to repurchase the palette as I'm using Radiant as a bronzer and Dim Light as a finishing powder only rarely -dim light smooths out my skin discoloration but I prefer Ethereal and Incandescent for an over all glow.
Amazing products though.

on 12/21/2014 3:57:00 AM

I love this powder! I didn't know which shade to purchase so when I told the SA I wanted more of a natural look she thought Ethereal would work for me, and she was right. The trick she said is to swipe once or twice with your brush on desired areas, anything more and it will look opaque and gothic. I can totally see the moonlit glow even late in the day and am amazed by the airbrushed effect it creates. Also love that this Hourglass powder is gluten free!

on 11/9/2014 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I really only bought this because Sephora was having their 20% off/VIB "sale". I previously bought the Ambient Light trio and, of the 3 powders in that set, the limited edition one, Incandescent, was my favourite and the one I've come closest to finishing. Of course, it can't be purchased on its own (just my luck) and I'm not prepared to purchase another trio just for a small-ish pan of that one shade. Hourglass would be wise to release Incandescent on its own for folks like me. And, to be honest, I'm still not entirely sold on these powders and question whether they're actually really worth the somewhat hefty price-tag. Anyway, of the shades that are sold singly, Ethereal seemed to give the closest result to Incandescent on my NW15/20 skin so I purchased it. I do like it - it gives a lovely, somewhat glowing look to my skin but it's not so full on glowing that I can't dust it all over to set my foundation or concealer. It's very wearable and I like that I can apply it a bit more heavily on my cheekbones or browbone if I want a more visible "highlight". But it's important to remember that this isn't a traditional "setting powder" and if you apply it with a heavy hand or with a puff (as you would a setting or blotting powder), you will end up with a ghostly look to your face. None of these powders is meant to be used so heavily, at least not in my experience (otherwise, depending on the colour you're using, you will look deathly, mauve or yellow!). I imagine I will continue to purchase this unless Incandescent is released as a single or until "the next new thing" comes along.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I am Nw10 and very cool toned, so I am as fair as they come. I bought this powder in "ethereal light", which is the palest color by hourglass. I wanted to use it to get a sexy "moonlit" glow. Sadly, this is not what I got.

Pros:
- finely milled, blendable
- beautiful packaging with mirror

Cons:
- do not use this all over your face. This powder is dang near white and cancelled ALL color from my face. I used both a puff to press the powder on and I used a brush, which barely put any product on my face. While I thought it looked decent in person, I looked GHOSTLY in pictures, despite wearing blush.

- freaking expensive, there are less expensive options that give you just as pretty of a result IMHO.

on 5/31/2014 1:05:00 AM

This is a really lovely powder and I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed with the results I get from using this as I was a little dubious at first that this may have been over-hyped on YouTube etc. But it's all good :) Just very very spendy in NZ/AUS unfortunately.

I have ambient powders in Diffused Light (more yellow) and Luminous Light (sparkly - more like a highlighter powder). Ethereal is not sparkly, shimmery or gleamy, but does leave your skin looking "refreshed and softened". The photos above make it look stark white but it's not a white powder more a very slight cream.

This is a perfect match for my NC15 skin, I've owned this for about 3 months and have used it with a variety of liquid foundations and BB creams, I like to apply this best with a bigger fan brush (Sedona Lace or Eco Tools) and also with a small fluffy brush (RT contour) in smaller areas at a time. For touch ups later in the day I like to use the RT buffing brush. I use this as a setting/finishing powder and find this works fine for my normal/combo skin.

The packaging isn't overly exciting but it does contain 10g of product so should last awhile before I need to repurchase.

Just wanted to add for any NZ/Aus girls if you want to purchase without having to use youship etc from the US this can be bought directly from either Mecca NZ or Mecca Aus.