Artdeco Beauty Box (all)

Artdeco Beauty Box (all)

3.0

on 12/20/2017 12:13:00 AM

This is what initially sold me on Artdeco -- a DIY compact? I had been looking for something like this for ages (after being thoroughly unimpressed with Aveda's -- for a company with so many environmental pretensions, I did not expect it to not hold up in my purse, or for it to be designed so the lipstick would dry out ASAP).

Two quibbles: it's a little more than I would like to pay, especially for the largest size (wait, three quibbles: I would love an ENORMOUS box!), and, I would like to see at least a small range of lipsticks and even a cake mascara so I could have a full face go-to in one box.

But that's it. I have had zero problems with the hinges like the previous reviewer. The boxes are very sturdy and have a nice heft and snap shut neatly, but open without fuss.

I was *so* happy to get so many things I wanted into one box, without the fuss of de-potting (though I will definitely be saving some small Artdeco pans to fill with my own lipsticks...), the size often involved in ditto -- this is just right for me -- or the (seriously, what?) cardboard of a Z-palette. With the price and quality of a Z, you're better off cleaning out an old cigarette tin, adding magnets from the craft store, and doing it that way...

But the Artdeco boxes are so wonderfully fuss-free and perfectly customisable. I had also wanted a full/mostly full palette for my car, and could not find anything that suited. I am a minimalist shadow user; no ready-made palettes play well with that. I am oily; I needed a powder, an item oddly lacking from a lot of palettes. The moment I saw the Artdeco counter show up in a Shoppers (Cdn pharmacy that has this positioned as a high-end product -- which it definitely is -- but the prices are AMAZING!), I bought the "magnum" box and loaded it with a pressed face powder; a brown contour powder that does the job for a quick powder liner, brow powder, shadow; a blush (I was dismayed to find when I saw it in sunlight that it had shimmer, which usually doesn't want to be my friend; this stuff was "radiant" rather than "glittery" and quickly became a favourite); a yellow-tinted cream for under the eyes; and a simple neutral shadow. I've got just enough space left for one more shadow.

I often use the blush and the brown powder together, and loved being able to position them next to each other so one quick sweep did the trick. The shadow is next to the cream concealer and I have had no problems at all with the shadow (or any of the powders) venturing in to the cream; Artdeco has very minimal "dust"/fall-out.

That the make-up is first rate was just sort of icing on the cake. If it had've been mediocre I would still have made do and been happy to have a custom-picked one-box bit of "car makeup" to leave in there to suffer through temperature extremes and replace as needed. HA! This is not "car makeup." It lives on the most accessible spot on my bathroom shelves, and is my quick go-to for simple, no-thought-needed out-the-door-ASAP looks. Perfect!

If you wanted even more portable makeup and just a few odds and ends -- a shadow in your bag with a lipstick, say -- the Artdeco containers, minus the compacts, are not ideal for regular use, but are perfect for stashing in small spots.

The magnets on the boxes are very strong, and fit so well into the compact that I tend to forget that it was bought separately -- while it's easy to swap out, once in there, it definitely stays in there, very neatly. (Caveat: I have a nice bamboo magnetised palette for depotted stuff. The Artdeco items were too thick to fit, still being more or less in containers and not truly "depotted.")

A+++++ HG stuff for me. Have since bought more Artdeco, will be looking to fill more large boxes with themed contents to simplify and de-clutter -- I now want an "evening" palette, an "[X]LBB nude" palette, etc, etc, and desperately hope the brand sticks around in Canada so I can stop fussing with one-size-fits-all palettes, or having to dig around for items for various occasions. Some of the designs they've put out are quite lovely, so I'm hoping to see more of the decorated ones -- the usual ones are plain black -- so I can distinguish between them quickly.

on 2/18/2013 1:27:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

EDIT: the hinges on the quad cases are poorly made and break easily. I've had 3 break on me in under 6 months with daily use. The plastic is heavy and the mirror topheavy, which is what causes the delicate hinge breakage. They will still seal properly with broken hinges, but that's beside the point: it's a quality failure which is unacceptable for the price point. Very sad, I wanted to love these but I can't recommend them, even with the fabulous designs.. :-(

Artdeco's eyeshadow, blush and lip products ar designed to be modular and replacable for full customization; their Beauty Boxes were designed to hold the products. They come in five different sizes: duo (2 eyeshadows), trio (3 eyeshadows or 1 blush), quattro (4 eyeshadows), quadrat (6 eyeshadows or 3 shadows and 1 blush), and magnum (12 eyeshadows or any mathematically feasible combination of blush and shadow, and on some models, also 1 liptick). The boxes are actually quite small and relatively pricey, so if you're looking for a Z-Palette replacement for a large quantity of depots, especially round shadows, this is not it. That being said, the quality of the boxes are fantastic: hardened plastic and metal, a mirror on the inside, and seasonal limited edition designs on all of the box sizes that are usually gorgeous and holographic. They're very sturdy, so perfect for travel, although you do have to buy the appropriate applicators separately. most importantly, they are magnetized, so it's very easy to swap in whatever magnetized pans you may have to make a custom palette that you can change at any time. I can see how it would be fun to take these and try to manually dupe a much more expensive Chanel quad, for example. Personally I have one quattro box which I use to hold my custom eyebrow kit (1 Catrice shadow, 1 Too Faced shadow, and the SK powder eyeliner kit, all depotted). I can't recommend these boxes enough; for travel or selective Artdeco shades / most loved depots, these are beautiful, high quality, sturdy and more than worth the money paid for them. It's not for mass depotting but if you have a handful of extremely well loved singles, this is a great way to make them looked polished, couture and mobile, rather than like a DIY project. And, of course, reusable so you'll never get bored of the colors inside ;-)

Popular Misc Beauty Tools