Dior New Look 1947

No Image

3.5

on 3/21/2017 6:52:00 PM

New Look 1947 was something I tried at the insistence of the lovely Dior SA. I also took home a hefty sample of it. I sprayed with abandon at the store .. and I really sprayed 5-8 sprays .

I get the imagery and the idea behind this scent. It's pink in color ,soft pink clouds in nature and very feminine.
The Dior website states notes of ylang, tuberose and benzoin .
Other sites list more notes. Frankly there is so much more than 3 notes going on in this fluffy cloud of perfume.
Everything is is superbly blended so that New Look resembles a haze of cosmetic powder, lipstick , a bouquet of flowers next to a dressing table ...expensive face creams.. it is an ambience .. an idea of feminity .

I will say that as the scent dried down it smelled very familiar and something i had smelt before.
In the dry down i get mostly vanilla and woods / milky woods or a drop of a coconut note on my skin perhaps ?
Anyway .. the dry down *reminds* me of Parfums Mercedes Jus d'Amour of which I own a bottle of the perfume oil .
Luckyscent sells it and the notes are : coco palm ,aqua leaf, jasmine, violet, vanilla ,cashmere woods and sandalwood.

if you love the dry down then Jus d'Amour would probably be a good one for you too. Though New Look is definitely a cut above.
I love the hazy light and atmospheric beginning to New Look .

The vanillic woody dry down is quite tenacious on me !

A great scent really. However between this and several of the others e.g. Oud Ispahan , La Colle Noire , Bois d'Argent etc.. I would take the latter .......

on 11/24/2013 7:56:00 AM

New Look 1947 was released in 2010 among La Collection Couturier line with its huge bottles. It is a pleasant blend of slightly sparkly, slightly sharp tuberose and a blend of soft creamy flowers decorated with just a tad of woods. The first time I sampled it, it was from a little vial so I could only dab and I got this big, candied tuberose that immediately put a big smile on my face. However, I have been using a big, spray decant for some time now and it definitely allows me to experience greener, slightly sharp, sometimes a bit hissy top notes where tuberose is rather dominant. With a spray, I get a candied waft around myself but the scent on my skin is definitely greener. It then settles into a nice melange with softspoken fresh pink roses, amicable peonies and maybe a bit of salty iris. These are paired with the tuberose and woody notes and ultimately create an easy-to-wear tuberose softened with other flowers. I find its drydown floral and creamy but I also feel that it may end of somehow powdery depending on your chemistry.

Dior created the New Look collection to celebrate the end of WWII that had been inevitably dictating a plain, somber style on women. To quote from Voguepedia, 'With a few elegant strokes of his pencil, Dior had swept away the utilitarian and frugal styles that had dominated during the war years: His New Look, as it came to be known, was a “direct, unblushing plan to make women extravagantly, romantically, eyelash-battingly female.” '

The 2010 release New Look 1947 is indeed romantic and even a bit frilly with its rose and peony - albeit somehow not very interesting. When I wear it, I really feel like having some light pink blush on my cheeks, curl my hair, put on lots of mascara so that I can flutter my eyelashes at a well-dressed suitor and whatnot. I also feel elegant in work situations. I like it but I do not love it the way I love my Nuit de Tubereuse which is darker, sharper, deeper and sparklier.

New Look has low to medium sillage on my skin with medium lasting power of 5ish hours. 3.5

Popular Fragrances