Hakuhodo J5523 Eyeshadow Brush

Hakuhodo  J5523 Eyeshadow Brush
J5523 Eyeshadow BrushJ5523 Eyeshadow Brush

on 7/6/2016 11:32:00 AM

Initially, I was dead set on buying a MAC 217 as my blending brush. I have used it before and was able to get a feel of how the brush would work. My problem was that (imo) the bristles were scratchy to get any real work done quick. I did my research and came across the Hakuhodo brand and what intrigued me was that they are an OEM of other high-end brushes. Crazy enough, they were talked about so highly- and I can see why. The price point for the quality is absolutely amazing. It is expensive but for a high quality brush, I think I can turn the other cheek on the price. If you're in the market for a high quality, real hair brush, check out Hakuhodo. Not just a phenomenal brush but the brand as a whole is great. Read more about it! You're missing out on an incredible experience.

on 5/30/2016 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I discovered Hakuhodo brushes watching Tati on youtube. I was afraid they where going to be super expensive and to my surprise some of them where more affordable than Mac. The most expensive brush I owned at that time was a Mac 217 and I wanted more 217, so I decided to give this a try since they have pretty much the same shape and it costed only 19+shipping versus the 30CAD+txt I payed for the mac. I ordered 2.
The end of the story is that I gave away my Mac for feeling plain scratchy and pokey next to this one and went on ordering more Hakuhodo brushes. Now there's no going back for me.

To Read all 14 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/16/2015 9:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Look no further for the perfect blending brush. If you have the opportunity to acquire a Hakuhodo brush, go, actually run for it. The J5523 is the closest MAC 217 dupe made by Hakuhodo. It is made of white goat hair with a round-oval but flattened head. Also the J5523 is a fraction smaller than the 217. I have both and the Hakuhodo is far superior when you blend out your eyeshadow. It has just the perfect shade to fit into the crease and does its job so effortlessly. I find the MAC to be a bit scratchy, more expensive and it tends to lose its shape when you wash it. I know MAC is widely available pretty much everywhere, but once you try a Hakuhodo brush you'll never go back. They have become my weakness and I am slowly building my collection. If you are a brush fanatic, start yours!

on 9/15/2015 9:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Amazing, so much better than Mac it's not even funny. If you don't have this you need to order it today...along with many other Hakuhodos. This brush feels like silk on your eyes and blends effortlessly. Can't live without.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Excellent brush. It's really the better version of MAC 217. It is ever so soft but yet firm enought to apply the main colour onto the eye lid and blend it out to perfection. It does it all. I have been using it daily for the past 3 months and am going to purchase one more because it's really that one brush I go to in my stash and always think that I should get at least one (or even two) more :)

on 3/7/2014 12:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Definite upgrade from MAC 217: softer and more control; don't forget cheaper too. Worth every penny. I own 3 MAC 217 brushes and will still use them but will replace them over time with the J5523. Actually i am done buying MAC brushes( but not their makeup; still the best) .I am all about HAKUHODO now!

I currently have two of these brushes. Really fantastic blending brush. It is slightly less expensive than it's counterpart, the MAC 217. In my opinion, it does work better, but the 217 is still a great brush. In terms of softness, the Hakuhodo wins out due to the brush hairs not being laser cut and hand selected. I have had my 217 for a while so it's looking a little worse for wear, so it would be unfair to compare the two today as opposed to remembering when I got the 217 originally. Another thing to note, the handle to the Hakuhodo is shorter.
I added a photo of the J5523 (left) and 217 (right) side by side. Hope it helps!

on 2/2/2014 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

The softer version of the MAC 217. It is cheaper, it is better and you can even tell just by looking at it that it's softer, the hairs are much thinner.

This is better than the MAC one in every way, and I prefer the shorter handle, it gives more control.

One thing I had to add: MAC 217 is still a good brush and I've seen so many comparisons with a brand new haku and a three year old MAC brush, which isn't fair. Of course brushes will be rougher with time.

on 1/13/2014 12:46:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

A staple. One of my top all-time favorite beauty products for sure.

What more is to say that it blends out eyeshadows beautifully, soft as feather, and retains its shape after, say, a hundred washes?

Plus side - it also blends concealers to perfection. At the price of $18 it is worth every penny. I have tried dupes but they are incomparable to this beauty.

on 6/19/2013 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Holy crap I love this brush! Soft as a baby's breath and great at both applying and blending shadows. Retains its shape beautifully, so glad I got this instead of the MAC 217.

Popular Makeup Brushes