NYX Gel Liner & Smudger

NYX Gel Liner & Smudger

3.5

on 3/18/2017 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Who would have thought I would be in love with this gel liner? I am more of a "high-end" makeup snob. The only gel liners I currently own (besides this one) are Bobbi Brown and MAC. I think once you find the best, there is no need to look any further. But this $10 eyeliner pot caught my eye when I was getting on line to make my purchases at Ulta. I thought, "Why not?" So I snatched one up and purchased it and brought it home and gave it a try. I love it! It goes on very nicely for me, and I love the matte finish. I have had no problems with it smudging or flaking or being too watery or not pigmented enough. This is better than Maybelline's gel liners, but comparable to L'Oreal's from the past. (I don't use L'Oreal gel liners anymore, so I haven't noticed if they are still being manufactured. All I know is, they used to be pretty darn good for drugstore gel liners.) This black liner lasts on me all day without smudging or fading, equivalent to higher end brands. It is also just as difficult to get off at night, and I often wake up and still see it on my upper lash line. EDIT 4-02-17: I used this for a week or two and decided I prefer MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack. The NYX liner performs well, but I find it harder to pick up on my brush because it is not as soft and creamy as MAC's gel liners. I found that I had to keep stroking the NYX liner with my slanted eyeliner brush in order to pick up enough product. I will stick with MAC from now on. ;-)

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Smudges like crazy.

After almost giving up and facing that all black eye liners fade and flake after a few hours of wear , I finally found one that didn't and had the added benefit of being cruelty free !.

I wear winged eyeliner everyday and have always found that the wings begin fading after a few hours and the line begins to crumble with time also ( i was previously using Collection 2000 Fast Stroke Eyeliner) then I found NYX gel liner and smudger (I brought this liner in jet black).

I opened the packaging and noticed that the pot of eyeliner was similar looks wise to "maybelline lasting drama gel eyeliner" pot however the NYX eyeliner did not provide a brush ( the eyeliner brush can be bought separately !). I first used my "Crown C432 Flat Line Definer" and found the gel really firm and hard to work with. I then used "The body shop's slanted brush" which worked so much better.

The eyeliner was highly pigmented and had a creamy smooth texture when being applied. Any mistakes that were made during the application where also easily fixed as the formula is "smudgeable".I found that the eyeliner took a little while to dry but did not transfer while it was drying.

once set the eyeliner is perfect !, it is smudge proof and waterproof and lasts all day and night !. I have literally been out with this eyeliner on, gone to a party, slept and this eyeliner is still in place in the morning !.

I would highly recommend this eyeliner to anyone that is looking for an eyeliner that doesn't need to be re applied a million times a day and is looking for a cruelty free brand that is inexpensive.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I use gel liner everyday and I use all different brands from MAC, Bobbi Brown to Maybelline and L'Oreal. The reviews for this were not great so I passed it over everytime I was in Ulta. Finally I used a $5 off coupon and thought since it would only be $4.99 I would give it a try. I got dark brown which on me looks more like an ashy dark gray. I really like the color.

The application is a bit tricky. I had to use a very small amount on my MAC 210 fine liner brush. This is a very slick consistency, very easy to get too much on and have it kind of run like a liquid liner can. One nice thing is that you can get a very nice soft line by smudging it. Most gel liner dry so fast that smudging the line out makes it clump and flake. This liner can give a dark crisp line or be softened and blended down for a smokey affect. It does take longer to dry than any gel or cream liner I have used but with a little experimentation you can get a number of looks from this one little pot. This wears as well as Maybelline gel liner but not quite as long as MAC which is the longest wearing one on the planet.

All in all I would say give this little liner a try...it takes time to figure it out but for the price it is a great liner.

on 8/10/2015 1:43:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This liner skipped on me no matter what brush I tried, resulting in uneven lines that couldn't be salvaged my anything but my liquid liner. I'll stick with liquid.

Really richly pigmented and long lasting. Transfers a bit.

on 6/15/2015 11:08:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The only problem with the eyeliner for me was how too easily it smudges even after hours on. For instance, when I do cat eye, it gets in the edges of my crease when I blink. In places it shouldn't be.
I think they should try to improve staying power.
Either that, or use a separate line dedicated to just liner, not smudger. This product is useful for a base for a smokey eye.

The texture is very, very creamy which I like.
It just never fully dries, though. Someone gave me a rough hug hours after I put on the liner, and it lost some of its color to their skin.

I use this for my eyebrows and it lasts all day, doesnt smudge even with sweat or water.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I purchased NYX Gel Liner and Smudger in the Scarlette shade (deep brown) at Ulta because I had tried every other drugstore gel liner in brown and none were a deep enough shade for my liking. This little pot came in a box and had a plastic and Styrofoam seal under the lid. Once I opened it, I applied it with the brush from my L'Oreal gel eyeliner and it went on perfectly smooth, not dry or crumbly. This liner did not skip, and the shade is perfect for me to wear with black mascara. The best part of this eyeliner is that it does not fade all day and stays as vibrant and pigmented as it did when I applied it. Most gel liners fade from my lids by the end of the workday and this liner has not yet faded. I have to scrub it off my eyelids with makeup remover when I take off my makeup because it refuses to budge (which is a good thing, in my opinion!) I am sad that I waited so long to try this product because I love most everything else NYX has put out and I had this product in my hand several times at Ulta but just kept putting it back on the shelf. This has become my holy grail gel eyeliner!
Definitely planning to repurchase, and to purchase multiple colors!

on 3/7/2015 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I have no complaints about this liner! At least the black one. As far as I'm concerned, I'm getting the same quality of MACs Fluidline gel liner for half the price! Maybe even better as the NYX gel liner is "smudgable" and thus slightly less mistake proof (mistakes are easy to fix). Great gel liner for the price!